Klingon Imperial Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
12 11, 2017, 08:57: PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Realtime chats are now following a freeform schedule.  If you would like to chat with you fellows please see the It's Talk Time thread for more info or to schedule a chat.
11894 Posts in 1664 Topics by 689 Members
Latest Member: regdun234
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  Klingon Imperial Forums
|-+  Klingon Guilds
| |-+  Klingon Line Registry
| | |-+  Places to promote your house, family, and line
| | | |-+  Archivers Guild Line Registry
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Archivers Guild Line Registry  (Read 22039 times)
Kilmarac
Newcomer

« on: 10 15, 2003, 12:51: AM »

posted on 6-28-2002 at 01:21 AM

Archivers Guild Line Registry

Posted your line here? Take the time to drop by http://www.klingonempire.net and submit your name to the Archivers Guild Line registry!
Lukara
Newcomer

« Reply #1 on: 10 15, 2003, 12:56: AM »

posted on 5-5-2003 at 02:10 PM

Archivers Guild Line is closed?

Does anybody knows if this site as closed? I've tried to get back there but can't access it huh
Kilmarac
Newcomer

« Reply #2 on: 10 15, 2003, 12:58: AM »

posted on 5-5-2003 at 07:32 PM

Not Closed, just down

Unfortunately, the server is offline for the moment due to hardware problems. Hopefully it will be back up in the next few days
SoplaHtaHwI'
Senior Strategist

yuchvaD vIqvaD je jIyIn

« Reply #3 on: 06 05, 2006, 08:46: PM »

posted on 5-5-2003 at 07:32 PM

Not Closed, just down

Unfortunately, the server is offline for the moment due to hardware problems. Hopefully it will be back up in the next few days
Famous last words?

qa'pIn [SoplaHtaHwI'] qI'meQ vIghro''a'
yuch betleH 'obe' la'quv
Khemorex-Klinzhai member, IKEF member
Dishonored Captain of the former spacecraft qaDwI' Doq
Abbot Nej vIt
Highly Opinionated Klingon
Thought Master

"I Will Take the Conquerer Ceasers Salad... Now!"

« Reply #4 on: 06 06, 2006, 03:04: AM »

Indeed... I Keep hoping for a trully interactive Club/Chapter/House Registry of some sort... Once the chIrgh (Temple) website is up and running, that is One of the "Agenda" items...

Archbishop Nej vIt SutaI-H'Nter,
Spiritual Advisor to K.L.A.W. 4th Fleet,
Abbot, Dugh toy'wI' Library
SoplaHtaHwI'
Senior Strategist

yuchvaD vIqvaD je jIyIn

« Reply #5 on: 06 06, 2006, 11:03: AM »

Big question is: what became of the Archivers Guild?
I know I'd be interested in re-activating it/spearheading the incarnation.
Also I know one person who'd be perfect for the job of Language-archiver...

yuch betleH 'obe' la'quv
Abbot Nej vIt
Thought Master

« Reply #6 on: 06 10, 2006, 02:16: PM »

What really needs to happen is, (In addition to interest), that someone with the skills needed to design an online database and some sort of simple online form for registration, to volunteer their services...

Kehlan
Senior Strategist

« Reply #7 on: 06 10, 2006, 03:01: PM »

You should have a word with Qeytok about it, my chief engineer definitely has the required skills to do something like this.  He will probably kill me (or try at least) for volunteering him for it, but he should'nt be so good at his job if he doesnt want to be considered a miracle worker.

Kehlan

Captain Kehlan
USS Endeavour NCC-71805
Federation/Klingon Rapid Response Fleet
SoplaHtaHwI'
Senior Strategist

yuchvaD vIqvaD je jIyIn

« Reply #8 on: 06 10, 2006, 06:11: PM »

You should have a word with Qeytok about it, my chief engineer definitely has the required skills to do something like this.  He will probably kill me (or try at least) for volunteering him for it, but he should'nt be so good at his job if he doesnt want to be considered a miracle worker.

Kehlan
may I present a first draft: The Imperial Klingon Line Registry Database
It does work, but the look and functioning are still very basic.
For instance you end up on an empty page after submitting...

yuch betleH 'obe' la'quv
SoplaHtaHwI'
Senior Strategist

yuchvaD vIqvaD je jIyIn

« Reply #9 on: 06 11, 2006, 05:09: PM »

You no longer get a blank page, but instead the content of the database is shown.
Have a try and tell me what you'd like. I will endeavour to implement it...

yuch betleH 'obe' la'quv
Kehlan
Senior Strategist

« Reply #10 on: 06 11, 2006, 05:58: PM »

Is there a way to modify information once it has been input?  I made a mistake with the link to my website and it didnt work properly so it needs correcting.
Kehlan

Captain Kehlan
USS Endeavour NCC-71805
SoplaHtaHwI'
Senior Strategist

yuchvaD vIqvaD je jIyIn

« Reply #11 on: 06 11, 2006, 06:11: PM »

I've corrected it now. It was an oversight on my part.
I tend to put the http:// in a URL as a default.

If you do not fill anything in on the form, you get the results anyway.

Other than that I have not implemented (or indeed created) an edit-function.
I also want to add an upload-possibility for Degh (emblem/symbol) pictures, so instead of what it says on my house's line now can be replaced by the actual Degh.
I guess I need to add a link to the jonwI' (engineer)
« Last Edit: 06 11, 2006, 06:26: PM by SoplaHtaHwI' » Logged

yuch betleH 'obe' la'quv
Abbot Nej vIt
Thought Master

« Reply #12 on: 06 14, 2006, 07:28: AM »

That is an Excellent beginning...!

kaI SoplaHtaHwI'...

It might be good once an edit function is added, if there were sort of a "Registration" so that the One who adds the entry gets a password or similar, that way it can only be edited by that person?

And I really like the idea of having a place to upload the house device...

maj! (Good)...

Kehlan
Senior Strategist

« Reply #13 on: 06 14, 2006, 08:47: AM »

thanks for correcting the URL, the link works correctly now.
I agree with the abbott, an ability to edit the information would be useful as House information is subject to change.

Kehlan

Captain Kehlan
USS Endeavour NCC-71805
SoplaHtaHwI'
Senior Strategist

yuchvaD vIqvaD je jIyIn

« Reply #14 on: 06 14, 2006, 08:54: AM »

thanks for correcting the URL, the link works correctly now.
I agree with the abbott, an ability to edit the information would be useful as House information is subject to change.

Kehlan
I have great plans for this, now I finally found a use for the database capability of the ISP.
Bear with me though, because however cool it might look I have neither the programming skills nor the graphical skills to pull this off all on my own.
Comments are welcome though and I am currently battling the code for editing rights.
I will not "release" the editing page before I have a way to secure it from the general masses though, as I do agree with the Abbot that editing should only be done by one.

Ah! Brainfart!

Currently trying (although I've programmed before, it's been a while, and I'm new to PHP...) to work out a glob fly that's in the website part... [edit: Qapla'!]
It is really a case of trial by error... Next: adding a "user name"
« Last Edit: 06 14, 2006, 10:53: AM by SoplaHtaHwI' » Logged

yuch betleH 'obe' la'quv
SoplaHtaHwI'
Senior Strategist

yuchvaD vIqvaD je jIyIn

« Reply #15 on: 06 14, 2006, 02:34: PM »

Long live The Web! (reH {The Web} taHjaj!)

I've taken the IKLRD (which needs a better name!) off-line to consolidate the User Interface and test some more, but I've now got a user system in place.
Now to connect the user system with the editing system (which is not yet working...).

Thank you to Kehlan and Khur (I guess) who helped me get the first ghIlab ghewmey (bugs) out.
More of them to follow, I'm sure.

Will keep you posted.

yuch betleH 'obe' la'quv
SoplaHtaHwI'
Senior Strategist

yuchvaD vIqvaD je jIyIn

« Reply #16 on: 06 14, 2006, 10:43: PM »

In my drive to get the site working I've now killed the add-page...

But since I've taken the whole section off-line, it isn't that obvious 8-)
The login script would work, and as soon as the add-page works, I'll make sure that the two parts get connected so that once you add a House, you are responsible for it (you would be able to look at the houses you added).

Long weekend ahead, I will work on it after sunday.

yuch betleH 'obe' la'quv
Abbot Nej vIt
Thought Master

« Reply #17 on: 06 16, 2006, 07:10: PM »

You know... Something else which occured to me, is that it might be useful to post some definitions of the entry fields...

(i.e.) What the Political Index is, and how it is used... The definitions of Closed, Open and Extended Families/House/Lines... etc.. (These are FASA constructs incidently, for anyone who is not familiar with them)...

Also, something which I had started working on in the past, (And this may be a good opportunity to implement such), was an online form, that would ask a variety of questions about the history, Current membership, and Role-play analogs, as well as real world goals, objectives, accomplishments and so on, of the Family/House/Line in question.

The answers to these questions, would then be used to "Grade/Rank" the Family/House/Line... Now I say that I started working on this, in terms of coming up with the questions, and a rudimentary grading/ranking system, as well as some titles for those rankings... However, as I have no skill with programming it is still just an idea...

Here is a discussion on another board with an example of what I am talking about: http://www.klingon-empire.org/forum/showthread.php?t=331&highlight=House

Regardless, it occurs to me that something like the IKLRD could be an interesting vehicle for such a project, and might even be incorporated into the registration process? Just a thought, I am certainly not trying to dictate what should or should not be incorporated...

maj! (Good)...

Abbot Nej vIt
Thought Master

« Reply #18 on: 06 18, 2006, 01:49: PM »

I appologize for the Inconvienience, if anyone tried to follow the link above recently, you will note that the site has been severly hacked... Efforts are underway to fix the problems resulting from the attack... Hopefully the whole site will be restoed soon... If not I will attempt to recreate and post the work here...

maj! (Good)...

SoplaHtaHwI'
Senior Strategist

yuchvaD vIqvaD je jIyIn

« Reply #19 on: 06 18, 2006, 03:06: PM »

You know... Something else which occured to me, is that it might be useful to post some definitions of the entry fields...

(i.e.) What the Political Index is, and how it is used... The definitions of Closed, Open and Extended Families/House/Lines... etc.. (These are FASA constructs incidently, for anyone who is not familiar with them)...
I've not got the FASA handbook on me (or, indeed, in do not own it). I'm willing to put these definitions on the site if someone can provide me with them. It's easy enough to link them. It requires little or no programming... 8-)

Also, something which I had started working on in the past, (And this may be a good opportunity to implement such), was an online form, that would ask a variety of questions about the history, Current membership, and Role-play analogs, as well as real world goals, objectives, accomplishments and so on, of the Family/House/Line in question.

The answers to these questions, would then be used to "Grade/Rank" the Family/House/Line...
Personally I would like to leave these infos for the House in question to have on their site. I see the IKLRD more as a phone directory (yet) and not as the Centralised Recordkeeping Offices for Houses that can't keep them themselves. I do like the challenge of getting it into the database though, as I do need the practice. It would be on a later plan though...

Now I say that I started working on this, in terms of coming up with the questions, and a rudimentary grading/ranking system, as well as some titles for those rankings... However, as I have no skill with programming it is still just an idea...

Here is a discussion on another board with an example of what I am talking about: http://www.klingon-empire.org/forum/showthread.php?t=331&highlight=House

Regardless, it occurs to me that something like the IKLRD could be an interesting vehicle for such a project, and might even be incorporated into the registration process?
It certainly is all possible (everything is possible, given time) to implement it. Even as part of the registration.
For now however I would like to discuss it a bit further, and focus on not just having a GUI, but one that works too 8-)

Just a thought, I am certainly not trying to dictate what should or should not be incorporated...
Thoughts that aren't uttered, can never be incorporated, never mind whether whether the thinker has or does not have leverage.

yuch betleH 'obe' la'quv
Abbot Nej vIt
Thought Master

« Reply #20 on: 06 18, 2006, 07:28: PM »

Quote from: SoplaHtaHwI'
I've not got the FASA handbook on me (or, indeed, in do not own it). I'm willing to put these definitions on the site if someone can provide me with them. It's easy enough to link them. It requires little or no programming... 8-)

No worries... Here are the deffinitions and base values,

Political Index (Abreviated PI)

0-50: The line is in disfavor with the Emperor, another powerful figure or line.

51-150: This line is undistinguished and/or somewhat disreputable.

151-350: An established line, but not especially noteworthy.

351-600: A known and well thought of line, (Minor Family Line).

601-1000: Powerful and wealthy line,(Major Family Line).

Unfortunately what is missing is the formula for ranking the Family/House/Line in the first place (Which never was a part of the FASA material to my Knowledge)... Thus my idea about coming up with a system for doing so... Though the rather simple examples I had orininally come up with do not provide a PI based on the same scale that the FASA stuff was... This would be easy enough to remedy, if we ever wanted to get into that... But regardless, as much as anything, coming up with an online form that would guide someone through the process of determining their PI, seemed like a Kewl *Toy* to offer people who wanted to see where their own Family/House/Line might fall... Rather than trying to *Be* the final authority on such things... Though in time I do want to "Officially" develop such a tool specifically for my Home Clubs to use...

Personally I would like to leave these infos for the House in question to have on their site. I see the IKLRD more as a phone directory (yet) and not as the Centralised Recordkeeping Offices for Houses that can't keep them themselves. I do like the challenge of getting it into the database though, as I do need the practice. It would be on a later plan though...

Hey it's your project, I'm just getting all Hyper because I love to see new resources being developed, and I can usually be counted on to have opinions about what I think those resources should include...<Chuckle>...

It certainly is all possible (everything is possible, given time) to implement it. Even as part of the registration.
For now however I would like to discuss it a bit further, and focus on not just having a GUI, but one that works too 8-)

Like I said, this really is your pet project so I do not want you to feel like I am trying to take over... But that said, I am (Obviously) open to continueing the discussion... Did you get to read my post before our board got hacked? Let me know what sort of questions you might have?

maj! (Good)...

SoplaHtaHwI'
Senior Strategist

yuchvaD vIqvaD je jIyIn

« Reply #21 on: 06 18, 2006, 09:57: PM »

I'll have a long hard think about any questions I have regarding this rating system later.
As to this being my pet project: I'm more than ready to accept help, suggestions and critique.
As it will take me time to get used to programming again and PHP in particular, both the wishlist and the critiques list will not deminish quickly, but that shouldn't stop it.

yuch betleH 'obe' la'quv
Abbot Nej vIt
Thought Master

« Reply #22 on: 06 19, 2006, 12:11: PM »

I'll have a long hard think about any questions I have regarding this rating system later.
As to this being my pet project: I'm more than ready to accept help, suggestions and critique.
As it will take me time to get used to programming again and PHP in particular, both the wishlist and the critiques list will not deminish quickly, but that shouldn't stop it.

Hey no problem... Really when all is said and done, the potential for such a tool is at least getting discussed and the opportunity for a useful resource for the community is more or less in the works... These are positives!

As far as help, suggestions and critique... As you figure out what you want and need let me know, I will assist in what manor I may...

maj!

SoplaHtaHwI'
Senior Strategist

yuchvaD vIqvaD je jIyIn

« Reply #23 on: 06 19, 2006, 01:54: PM »

A constant stream of ideas is one thing is never wrong.
I will start a to-do list (and maybe by that fix the add-dialogue) to which registered users can add...

yuch betleH 'obe' la'quv
Abbot Nej vIt
Thought Master

« Reply #24 on: 06 20, 2006, 06:16: PM »

A constant stream of ideas is one thing is never wrong.
I will start a to-do list (and maybe by that fix the add-dialogue) to which registered users can add...

Kewl... So I guess the question becomes one of, would it serve the project to create a true "Wish list" here in this thread, or are you wanting to complete the current portion of the project first?

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: