Klingon Imperial Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
12 11, 2017, 06:40: PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Thu 26Jul2012:
     Due to security issues file attchments are disabled for the time being.  We are invenvestigating the impact to the board and working to ensure our forums are clean and trustworthy.   In the mean time you can email your attachments to Kesvirit and/or Klythe along with which message you want them attached to and we will add them.

11894 Posts in 1664 Topics by 689 Members
Latest Member: regdun234
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  Klingon Imperial Forums
|-+  Other Klingon-related Topics
| |-+  The Klingon Kitchen
| | |-+  Bloodwine recipes/sources?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Bloodwine recipes/sources?  (Read 16385 times)
Jorf
Novice

« on: 10 02, 2003, 09:44: AM »

posted on 6-28-2002 at 03:23 PM

Here's a site I recently came across on the net for bloodwine. You can substitute not alcholic ingredients I am sure and retain the flavor and look.

http://www.geocities.com/septaric/booze.html

« Last Edit: 10 02, 2003, 09:53: AM by Jorf » Logged
Chuzat
KIDC Member
Novice

« Reply #1 on: 10 02, 2003, 09:48: AM »

posted on 6-30-2002 at 05:53 AM

You can buy Bloodwine (among other drinks) by the bottle at Quark's resturant at ST: The Experience.
Didn't try it tho, it was a bit pricey for me at the time.
« Last Edit: 10 02, 2003, 09:50: AM by Chuzat » Logged
DaQotah
Weaponsmith
Newcomer

« Reply #2 on: 10 02, 2003, 09:59: AM »

posted on 9-25-2002 at 02:14 AM

Ok, my name is DaQo'tah. My website - http://daqotahforge.tripod.com
Ok heres the deal with what is called "Blood Wine", in most cases, ANYTHING that is made with kool-aid is awful. Most of the bloodwine I have had at Sci-fi cons , has the taste of a warm popsicle, due to the kid's stuff they try to make it out of, (this is due to the large amoung they have to make).

The real trick to a Blood Wine that kicks butt, is to use good ingredients, and to NOT use ice!!! Any use of ice will dilute the drink, and waste the efforts you have put into creating a proper warriors refreshment.

What it takes to make the worlds best Klingon Blood Wine?... The drink has to be a red color, instead of kool-aid, use Cranberry juice. (This one step will make the drink so much better than any of the kool-aid drinks)

The drink has to have other flavors to go with this, I like a mix made of:

Triple Sec
Parrot Bay
any Coconut rum
NO Ice! (To Cool the whole drink I use a empty 2 liter bottle that has been filled with water and frozen)
No Pop, (The fizz is nice, but it takes away from the taste of the mix, and the fizz does not last).
Mix to your own taste. Keep good notes, and measure everything! Once you get one glass that works, work on using that as a formula to mix a whole batch up.

Let me know how it goes.
Kesvirit
Her Nibbs
Administrator
Thought Master

That which does not kill me, must have missed me.

« Reply #3 on: 10 02, 2003, 10:23: AM »

DaQotah,Oct 2 2003, 09:59 AMOk heres the deal with what is called "Blood Wine", in most cases, ANYTHING that is made with kool-aid is awful. Most of the bloodwine I have had at Sci-fi cons , has the taste of a warm popsicle, due to the kid's stuff they try to make it out of, (this is due to the large amoung they have to make).

The real trick to a Blood Wine that kicks butt, is to use good ingredients, and to NOT use ice!!!
The real trick to making a good blood wine is to get yourself a good bartender. The reason the stuff you had tastes so bad is because many of the Klinglings and lesser species in attendence aren't of a legal or maturational age to be boozing, and the company running the con doesn't want to be held responsible for the results. I'd save the Triple Sec, Parrot Bay, and rum for the private late-night adult parties.

- Kesvirit
« Last Edit: 10 06, 2003, 04:27: PM by Kesvirit » Logged

Richard the Sound Guy: "And the next person to lecture me about canon risks getting shot out of one! Right, gaffers?"
Gaffers make appreciative and supportive remarks in the form of bad imitations of primate calls from the direction of the lighting grids.
DaQotah
Weaponsmith
Newcomer

« Reply #4 on: 10 02, 2003, 10:28: AM »

posted on 9-25-2002 at 11:02 AM

Hi, this Is DaQo'tah again

Yes! there are non-alcohol drinks that I have tasted, many are actually better and have a more interesting taste than the stronger ones drank at Cons! I believe the reason is that when a person plans this type of drink, you understand the desires of kids and work to them.
BUT as I said, I go to Sci-fi Cons in my area, and at such meetings, the Party rooms are what actually is the real reason people are there! In our Party Rooms we have people coming and going all night until the last guys stumble out into the hallway at 6:00 that next morning... :lol:
You are correct, the person who makes the drinks (Bartender) has to know what he is doing, and that job mostly falls to me and my wife...
Our Klingon Blood wine is always better than others, due to the things I have stated - No Kool-aid and No Ice. It seems that the other Klingon clubs all get their recipes off the Internet, and they tend to all use kool-aid and that really just dont give you the "Bite" that Cranberry juice can add to your Blood Wine.
I dont know if they have Sci-fi Cons in your area, but the ones around here have "ID" tags that everyone has to wear to get served, and so you just have to check the ID tag to know if everyone is of age.
My wife reminds me that we also offer a non-Allcohol drinks, but pop sold in cans seems to work just as good, and its less likely to get confused with real Blood Wine in the heat of the battle as I serve the drinks to party-goers.
« Last Edit: 10 06, 2003, 04:28: PM by Kesvirit » Logged
Kesvirit
Her Nibbs
Administrator
Thought Master

That which does not kill me, must have missed me.

« Reply #5 on: 10 02, 2003, 10:35: AM »

posted on 9-28-2002 at 08:22 AM

Bloodwine Recipes -- Alternative to Cranberry Juice

From what you've described it sounds like a possible alternative to cranberry juce would be marionberry wine, if you can get it. I don't know if they grow in yur area. If not it can be a bit expensive. It's tart and fruity and still has a bit of a kick to it without that sickly sweet Kool-Aid flavor you're trying to avoid.

If you want something a bit more raw you can also use "homemade" marionberry, er, wine, by harvesting a bunch of fresh berries, cleaning them, and letting them rot to taste. This method also gives you some pulp similar in consistancy to congealed blood. Huckleberries might also do in a pinch. Avoid blackberries, though, or you?ll get the Manishevitz effect

If you go either of these routes, though, I'd advise you to leave out the rum. Too much sugar is too much and will give you the hangover from h*!!. Or so they tell me.

- Kesvirit
« Last Edit: 10 06, 2003, 04:29: PM by Kesvirit » Logged

Richard the Sound Guy: "And the next person to lecture me about canon risks getting shot out of one! Right, gaffers?"
Gaffers make appreciative and supportive remarks in the form of bad imitations of primate calls from the direction of the lighting grids.
suzilla
Weaponsmith
Scribe

« Reply #6 on: 10 02, 2003, 10:41: AM »

posted on 2-23-2003 at 02:05 AM

blood wine and Chech'tluth

Today I created a new recipie for bloodwine that I am rather pleased with. Go to: http://nydhu.tripod.com/brew.htm
It is blood wine #3.
I also have recipies for Chech'tluth, Romulan Ale, and more.
I hide nothing back in my recipes, and welcome you to share - I only ask acknowledgement of the source of your recipe. I also welcome questions.
« Last Edit: 07 24, 2004, 03:50: PM by suzilla » Logged

SuZilla
Guildmistress, KIBG - http://KIBG.home.comcast.net
Charter Member, KIWG
tmk1000
Old Guard
Klingon Conversationalist

« Reply #7 on: 10 02, 2003, 10:43: AM »

posted on 8-12-2003 at 11:27 PM

here's a good site http://www.geocities.com/ktesh_kag/SMbooze2.htm
« Last Edit: 10 06, 2003, 04:32: PM by Kesvirit » Logged

{ro'qegh'Iwchab HInob.}

"May your coordinates be free of tribbles."
   {QuvlIjDaq yIH tu'be'lu'jaj.}
K'Tar KorDaS
Courier

« Reply #8 on: 02 26, 2004, 08:29: PM »

This is the actual Blood wine that was served on the show, from one of the prop crew (a good friend of mine).

Klingon Blood Wine

Klingon bloodwine is exactly what it says it is: fermented blood and sugar. To make an excellent re-creation of Klingon bloodwine, you can use cranberry juice. I use cranberry-strawberry juice, put fresh strawberries (frozen strawberries work just as well) in a blender and chop up to give it a thick mass. Mix it into the juice to give the bloodwine the look of fresh floating red corpuscles. Chill and enjoy.

And it tastes great.

Serving the Empire.....K'Tar KorDaS.
« Last Edit: 03 22, 2004, 08:31: AM by Kesvirit » Logged

Commander I.K.V. T'Pauk
A K'Vort class Bird of Prey
SoplaHtaHwI'
Senior Strategist

yuchvaD vIqvaD je jIyIn

« Reply #9 on: 02 26, 2004, 08:40: PM »

Just a small question:

Would you want bloodwine to be as they use it on the show, or as a Klingon would drink it?
Could this for instance be done with some added mixture of alcohol, to make it that little extra lethal?

Nothing against show props, of course...

:rolleyes:  

qa'pIn [SoplaHtaHwI'] qI'meQ vIghro''a'
yuch betleH 'obe' la'quv
Khemorex-Klinzhai member, IKEF member
Dishonored Captain of the former spacecraft qaDwI' Doq
K'Tar KorDaS
Courier

« Reply #10 on: 02 26, 2004, 08:50: PM »

Yes just add spice rum.... Great White Spice Rum works good.

Commander I.K.V. T'Pauk
A K'Vort class Bird of Prey
qoSagh
Warrior Bard of the Ontological
Thought Master

« Reply #11 on: 03 18, 2004, 10:26: PM »

I once joined in a Blood Wine making contest. Oddly enough there were only two contestants and only three jusges (us and one brave soul who would try the awful stuff). Interestingly enough, I won only because of the third judge. Each of the contestants voted for the other one, we disliked our own creations so much.

I don't remember what was in the other one, but I know it had vodka added to increase the proof. I also know it had no wine whatsoever in it. Mine was a sort of mulled wine with two major additions. I started with an inexpensive (cheap) red wine, and mulled about half of it with some low salt beef bullion. The other half I mixed with a small amount of Cran-Grape (I liked the taste and color better than plain cranberry juice). I then mixed the two halfs back together and let cool to room temperature. It was awful if I do say so myself.

My basic theory was to start with the wine as a base. To add the beef as an aproximation for the blood and add the fruit juice to combat the saltiness of the bullion and reduce the proof a bit. The color came out great. The flavor was bad, but I think mostly because I used a cheap wine and added too much bullion. The other main problem was that the bullion never really disolved and there ended up quite a bit of sediment at the bottom of the bottle.

Someday I will rework another batch and try to fix these problems. But that is for another time.

qoSagh qlIStIy
meycha of the qaptaQ www.qaptaQ.org
Prothonotary of the Desert Rite
"I would kill the children of a thousand planets, just to see you smile."
weslipuqlod
Weaponsmith
Senior Courier

« Reply #12 on: 03 22, 2004, 10:33: PM »

Kool-aid, all just Kool-aid...

According to Klingon lore, actual Bloodwine is created by feeding select bloodworms a diet rich in blood.  The variations in flavor are created by the variety of bloodworms and the type/freshness of the blood feasted upon.

Once gorged, the bloodworms internal digestive systems create a fermentable by-product.  The bloodworms are crushed much the way humans crush grapes and the drained solution is then stored in barrels to ferment and age.

That is why there is the Klingon toast: reH HIvje'lIjDaq ghargh Datu'jaj , May you always find a bloodworm in your glass.  (Much the same way tequila drinkers look for worms).

For a suitable recipe here on Earth (not for the faint of heart or underagers):

Obtain a glass gallon apple cider jug, preferably with fresh cider residue still present.  Mix in...

1.5 liter bottle of Hearty Burgandy wine
1 liter bottle of Sloe Gin
750 ml Grenadine

Put the cap on and shake vigorously.  Store in a cool dry place for 1-year or more.  There will be sediment collecting on the bottom so approximately every month or so give it another shake until frothy.

Just prior to serving, turn on the stove and set the jugs on top to warm (do not apply directly to heat or burners, the jug will shatter).  When you pour it into your tankards it is dark red with a viscosity that looks exactly like blood.  It will even leave a residue that coagulates by the following morning so remember to rinse out your tankards before going off to battle or scrubbing them will be a chore.  It has a nasty taste and quickly inebriates even die-hard drinkers, but it grows on you and real Klingons hold their own with it.

Never drink all of it.  From every batch you mix save three cups for the next batch.  This provides well-aged stock for the next barrel and a history for story-telling. I have followed this recipe for 6-years now and alternate batches for aging.  Tomorrow is batlhjaj, the Day of Honor, and at our celebration we will tap into three gallons of bloodwine that are over two years old.

Qapla'!  
qoSagh
Thought Master

« Reply #13 on: 03 23, 2004, 04:57: PM »

Interesting recipe, I have to ask was the sloe gin added simply because of color or to increase the alcohol content or for flavor? I am the inheritor of a family alergy to gin and can't touch the stuff, even in mixtures. I would like to try a form of this bloodwine but in order to adapt it, would need to know some of the reasons and mechanics of the mixology.

qoSagh qlIStIy
weslipuqlod
Weaponsmith
Senior Courier

« Reply #14 on: 03 25, 2004, 12:50: AM »

All three.  Sloe Gin is a thicker substance that provides a darker red appearance to the mix.  Its unique flavors mix with the Hearty Burgandy wine to provide a strong kick and unforgettable smell.  For me it was the first ingredient and the most important.  

However, you are always free to experiment as you wish.  There used to be a different ingredient than the Grenadine originally, I cannot recall what it was but they either quit making it or distributing it within our area so we had to settle on the Grenadine.  
qoSagh
Thought Master

« Reply #15 on: 03 25, 2004, 07:06: PM »

The freedom to experiment brings up an interesting subject. If we who take on Klingon characters can be said to role play Klingons, then can not the foods that we make in an attempt to portray Klingon food be said to be role playig Klingon food? I ask this because, now and then we will see different ways of preparing supposedly the same dish. In the case of Blood wine, I think the process would yield a great variety of flavors in that different species of blood worm are used on different planets and fed with different blood. So at least in a role play sense, each of our bloodwines would be portraying a different vintage from a different winery.

I was asking about the reasons for the Sloe Gin because I fully plan on experimenting, but wanted to know what direction to go in. IF flavor was the main concern then fruit juice could be used. If alcohol content was the main concern then fruit juice would not be as good a subject.

I had not come across the Klingon recipie concerning the blood worms before, and realize that in addition to being utterly nasty, my last attempt at bloodwine which included beef bullion, was flawed because I assumed the blood to be mamalian in nature. And unrefined at that. I was thinking about the blood that drips from a fresh raw steak.

I am thinking that if I can find sloeberries anywhere I can make a vodka infusion with them that will suffice for a substitute and not make me sick the way Gin does. I may also try adding cranberries as that would make for an interesting bitterness. I see I have my research cut out for me.

qoSagh qlIStIy
weslipuqlod
Weaponsmith
Senior Courier

« Reply #16 on: 03 30, 2004, 01:18: AM »

qoSagh: If we who take on Klingon characters can be said to role play Klingons, then can not the foods that we make in an attempt to portray Klingon food be said to be role playing Klingon food?

I love it!  You are absolutely correct.

qoSagh: So at least in a role play sense, each of our bloodwines would be portraying a different vintage from a different winery.

Now if we can just get different bottles with unique labels...
« Last Edit: 03 30, 2004, 01:21: AM by weslipuqlod » Logged
qoSagh
Thought Master

« Reply #17 on: 03 30, 2004, 10:19: PM »

Lables would be the big thing, as many wineries would probably use identical or similar bottles. My favorite bottle is a dark red round bottle I got at Pier 1 Imports, but I have seen avalible at various homegoods stores. I got a cork for it and covered the top with sealing wax, embossed with a Klingon symbol (Komerex Stella) since I got the seal at a convention a few years back.

I have thought of acid etching the bottle, but have yet to learn that art enough to do a bottle well. However, computers being what they are, a simple lable should be very little trouble. If we'd had these computers back in the early 1990's when I started in Klingon fandom, man the stuff we could have made.

Another variation I had thought of about Blood Wine, was the idea of non-alcoholic mixes being considered young wines, and alcoholic mixes being considered old or matured wines. This would explain the realities of the various recipies we in fandom have come up with, yet not be inconsistant with the fermeted worm excrement theories of cannon thought.

qoSagh qlIStIy
weslipuqlod
Weaponsmith
Senior Courier

« Reply #18 on: 03 30, 2004, 11:21: PM »

I actually built-up the Star Trek Encyclopedia bloodwine label in the computer as a graphic.  I print it out in full color on sticker pages, cut them out and apply to bottles.  

The bottles I use are left over from the wine in the recipe.  I cover them with torn pieces of masking tape then buff them with black shoe polish, giving them a grey, aged look.  Once the label is on I apply a protective coat of clear fixative, fill and cork.

Now that I have completed the new pIqaD font I intend to go back and revise the label to actually say something authentic.  Filled with bloodwine they make excellent gifts.  
suzilla
Weaponsmith
Scribe

« Reply #19 on: 07 15, 2004, 04:39: AM »

My love for good brew has now come full circle, and I have actually learned to brew...

I now give you the KIBG - http://kibg.home.comcast.net/

This is the Klingon Imperial Brewers and Bartenders Guild (not to be confused with the Klingon Brewers Imperial Guild - which is for beer brewers)

I invite you to submit good recipies to the site, and to view what is already there.

There are recipies for stuff like Necti and Ferengi Snail Juice...
« Last Edit: 07 24, 2004, 03:52: PM by suzilla » Logged

SuZilla
Guildmistress, KIBG - http://KIBG.home.comcast.net
Charter Member, KIWG
KAllen
Klingon Conversationalist

« Reply #20 on: 08 29, 2006, 01:15: PM »

If you look up the IKV Melota, they have recipe for Salek's bloodwine.  Which, btw, is sweeeeeet and potent.

Lt.Col. K'Allen sutai-bortaS
Marine Commander aboard the IKV Bayou Serpent
Member of the IKV Bayou Serpent
House Cha'diCH to the House of bortaS
D'Ghor epetai-Darj
Courier

Line Lord of House Darj

« Reply #21 on: 01 07, 2010, 04:41: PM »

Due to no more geocities, could someone post the actual recipes here? I am very interested in making my own batch and would like as many different "blends" to experiment with.

Sogh D'Ghor vestai-Darj
CO IKV SuvwI'po' (Skilled Warriors)
KAG Stormrider Fleet Quartermaster
Ship's Website
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: