Klingon Imperial Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
12 11, 2017, 11:31: AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
The boards are having problems with email. We are advising members to set your secret questions and answers in case the board can't send email to let you reset lost passwords.
11894 Posts in 1664 Topics by 689 Members
Latest Member: regdun234
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  Klingon Imperial Forums
|-+  General Discussions
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  What do you call a group of Klingons?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: What do you call a group of Klingons?  (Read 18336 times)
Klythe
ngem Sargh lIghwI' pagh cha'
Administrator
Thought Master

When a show of teeth doesn't work, bite deeply.

« on: 07 25, 2006, 07:25: PM »

I was listening to a Linux podcast and for some reason he got on the topic of what you would call a group of Klingons.

a parliment of owls
a pod of whales
a gaggle of geese
a murder of crows
an unkindness of ravens

a ______ of Klingons.

He suggested 'a fist' of Klingons, and his friend suggested 'a clutch' which has all the advantage of a fist plus a bit of alliterative value (first sounds are the same, a clutch of Klingons).

A 'fist' reminds me of 'a finger-five', which I recall from context was a military formation, perhaps a kind of squad.  I don't remember where I read that though... 

Yeah, our formal fanclubs are usually called 'ships', but a group of Klingons you encouter is probably not the whole ship.

What suggestions do you have?   After we take nominations should we start a poll?

SoplaHtaHwI'
Senior Strategist

yuchvaD vIqvaD je jIyIn

« Reply #1 on: 07 25, 2006, 08:30: PM »

a ______ of Klingons.

A 'fist' reminds me of 'a finger-five', which I recall from context was a military formation, perhaps a kind of squad.  I don't remember where I read that though... 

Yeah, our formal fanclubs are usually called 'ships', but a group of Klingons you encouter is probably not the whole ship.

What suggestions do you have?   After we take nominations should we start a poll?
A poll sounds good.
As does a "fist". Not too happy about the clutch. A loose group (eh?), not necessarily belonging to the same ship/family/whatever I'd call a band. A ship's contingent (or part thereof) I'd call a "klingon unit". The tlhIngan Hol name for a group/gathering is ghom...
A gathering (not the group, but the event) is of course a lop. You could always go for the fun factor and call the heap a clod...

Basic thing though: are we talking the not-yet-reality klingon or the fan variety?

qa'pIn [SoplaHtaHwI'] qI'meQ vIghro''a'
yuch betleH 'obe' la'quv
Khemorex-Klinzhai member, IKEF member
Dishonored Captain of the former spacecraft qaDwI' Doq
qoSagh
Warrior Bard of the Ontological
Thought Master

« Reply #2 on: 07 26, 2006, 01:53: PM »

I also like the idea of calling such groups, a Fist of Klingons. Fist fits for three reasons, that I can think of right away. First of course, fists are used for pounding and punching, two obviously violent acts, which I think is indicative of a group of Klingons. Second of course is the related power that would come with that violence, and and show of power, especially verbal is undoubtedly Klingon. The third is more historical in nature. Fist is (to me, at least) reminiscent of hand, and that harkens back to the FASA days and the klingonasse phrase te kasse or hand of, which has been used in kahless te kasse, mortas te kasse, etc.

I do not like the phrase clutch, simply because the only group I know of that is referred to as a clutch is a coffee clutch, which is that group of gossips that we all have at work. Definitely not a group of warriors.

Since we have all so far come out in favor of fist, have we not done the work of the intended poll? Is a vote really needed at this point?

qoSagh qlIStIy
meycha of the qaptaQ www.qaptaQ.org
Prothonotary of the Desert Rite
"I would kill the children of a thousand planets, just to see you smile."
Kesvirit
Her Nibbs
Administrator
Thought Master

That which does not kill me, must have missed me.

« Reply #3 on: 07 26, 2006, 02:41: PM »

I do not like the phrase clutch, simply because the only group I know of that is referred to as a clutch is a coffee clutch,

I believe the one is thinking of a coffee klatch. Or perhaps a kafei klatch.

which is that group of gossips that we all have at work. Definitely not a group of warriors]

True. Most warriors prefer to do their gossipping over hard liquor.  :rolleyes:

-=- Kesvirit

Richard the Sound Guy: "And the next person to lecture me about canon risks getting shot out of one! Right, gaffers?"
Gaffers make appreciative and supportive remarks in the form of bad imitations of primate calls from the direction of the lighting grids.
Klythe
Administrator
Thought Master

« Reply #4 on: 07 26, 2006, 07:16: PM »

If you believe that the two of you represent the whole of Klingon thinking on this issue...  Still I think more time may bring forth new opinions.   I'm not big on clutch since it's already use for groups of avians, worse, chickens I think.

We can take this a number of ways, yes klingons would call a group of themselves a ghom.  ButI guess this is what other people would call a group of Klingons...  Since the funny herd names come mostly from farmers and other people who deal with large semi-permanent groups of animals, maybe we should take this from the view of a terran farmer (although which century is up for grabs).  We can all take a joke and poke fun at ourselves, or be all stuffy and try to sound cool.

Personally, I'd go with a pack of Klingons, since we are predators who sometimes hunt together...  Perhaps we need multiple words to describe different group dynamics Klingon groups might have.

Hmmm, or we could go the naughty route and borrow from Kor, "We are all part of one glorious whole".  A glorious whole of Klingons.  Cheesy Klingon Grin
SoplaHtaHwI'
Senior Strategist

yuchvaD vIqvaD je jIyIn

« Reply #5 on: 07 26, 2006, 09:14: PM »

Humans have different grouping-names too...
a bunch of people, a group of people, a class, etc.
And of course qoSagh and I aren't the only people in the forum...

qa'pIn [SoplaHtaHwI'] qI'meQ vIghro''a'
yuch betleH 'obe' la'quv
Khemorex-Klinzhai member, IKEF member
Dishonored Captain of the former spacecraft qaDwI' Doq
qoSagh
Thought Master

« Reply #6 on: 07 29, 2006, 05:18: AM »

I did say so far, so while I am arrogant, I am probably not enough so to presume to speak for all Klingons.  But I do stand by the fact that a poll was not needed at that time due to there not being many alternates proposed. With the proposition of pack, ghom & glorious whole there may be some value in the poll option. I tend to think that this like most other issues we tackle can bear a bit more discussion instead of or at least along side of a simple vote.

qoSagh qlIStIy
Abbot Nej vIt
Highly Opinionated Klingon
Thought Master

"I Will Take the Conquerer Ceasers Salad... Now!"

« Reply #7 on: 07 30, 2006, 04:08: PM »

Of course the simple solution here would be to have (As has been suggested in the past), One or more of us write and publish a novel with all of our wacky Klingon ideals included, then we could claim Published if not CANON status for this stuff... cool

Archbishop Nej vIt SutaI-H'Nter,
Spiritual Advisor to K.L.A.W. 4th Fleet,
Abbot, Dugh toy'wI' Library
Klythe
Administrator
Thought Master

« Reply #8 on: 07 30, 2006, 10:12: PM »

Simple for everyone else but the poor fool who gets stuck writing it.  Ideas have to come from somewhere, and that's what these forums are about. Cheesy Klingon Grin
Kaptain WanraK
Scribe

« Reply #9 on: 08 03, 2006, 08:45: AM »

I like "Fist" as well.

My alternative suggestions are:

Party  ( because its not a party without Klingons)

Grip  ( shows strength and fortification)

Lt. Cmdr. WanraK sutai-Veska
Kaptain IKV Sons of Honor
StarFire Region - Ring Of Fire Fleet
Fleet Admiral toQDuj epetai jonwi
Scribe

« Reply #10 on: 09 19, 2006, 08:09: PM »

A wreckage of Klingons!

Today is a good day to drink!-mine's a large Bloodwine.
Abbot Nej vIt
Highly Opinionated Klingon
Thought Master

"I Will Take the Conquerer Ceasers Salad... Now!"

« Reply #11 on: 09 20, 2006, 02:26: PM »

A wreckage of Klingons!

I dig the sound of this... My question would be, does this not imply that the Klingons are those who have been "Wrecked"?

Perhaps a "Havoc of Klingons"?

Archbishop Nej vIt SutaI-H'Nter,
Spiritual Advisor to K.L.A.W. 4th Fleet,
Abbot, Dugh toy'wI' Library
Klythe
Administrator
Thought Master

« Reply #12 on: 09 25, 2006, 03:55: AM »

Havoc is excellent!  Hmmm... A fracas of Klingons?  A brawl of Klingons?

I guess it would be an away team of Feddies.  Though a boarding party of Klingons builds off the Klingon party idea.
« Last Edit: 01 27, 2008, 07:35: PM by Klythe » Logged
elninjo
Senior Courier

« Reply #13 on: 09 25, 2006, 07:07: AM »

A "barrage" of Klingons
Fleet Admiral toQDuj epetai jonwi
Scribe

« Reply #14 on: 04 28, 2007, 10:30: AM »

Well crows have got in first with "A Murder of Crows"!-how about an "Honour of Klingons"?-

Today is a good day to drink!-mine's a large Bloodwine.
Kesvirit
Her Nibbs
Administrator
Thought Master

« Reply #15 on: 10 19, 2007, 01:26: AM »

Many good suggestions have been put forth, but all lack an important consideration: How many Klingons comprise the group? Is it a large group, a small group, or something in between? “A fist of Klingons” is appropriate for groups of...  ::pauses to count fingers::  five. Usually. If one is still in posession of the default factory originals.

The Abbot brings up canon. The canon term for Klingons is, of course, a “swarm”. Which may or may not consist of twelve.

-=- Kesvirit

Richard the Sound Guy: "And the next person to lecture me about canon risks getting shot out of one! Right, gaffers?"
Gaffers make appreciative and supportive remarks in the form of bad imitations of primate calls from the direction of the lighting grids.
qoSagh
Thought Master

« Reply #16 on: 11 03, 2007, 07:02: PM »

But for at least one character in the Princes Bride a Fist would be six, and to some it might be less. So I would think that the size of the group does not matter as much as if it is a group. There are linguistic ways to signify augmentative and diminutive to make the group large or small.

qoSagh qlIStIy
Kesvirit
Her Nibbs
Administrator
Thought Master

« Reply #17 on: 11 04, 2007, 03:18: AM »

quoth qoSagh:  But for at least one character in the Princes Bride a Fist would be six, and to some it might be less.

Feh.  Yes, polydactyly (more than five digits per hand/foot), syndactyly (fused digits), and injury would all play a role in determining the numerical size of a “fist of Klingons.” Hence my disclaimer: “Usually. If one is still in possession of the default factory originals.” And for vertebrates, that’s five.

So I would think that the size of the group does not matter as much as if it is a group. There are linguistic ways to signify augmentative and diminutive to make the group large or small.

Yes, but those augmentative/diminutive qualifiers all serve to modify an already-defined word. We do not have that word, and are trying to decide what it is. Only once the term for our group of Klingons has been defined can we modify that term.

qoSagh
Thought Master

« Reply #18 on: 11 05, 2007, 10:47: PM »

I agree that one can only modify the word once it is determined, my only point was that such modifications have little to do with the base word itself. I do not need to assign a number to the human (English) word group because I can modify it. Thus the Klingon translation does not need to specify size it only really needs to convey the image of more than one.

qoSagh qlIStIy
K'orvette Reshtarc
Newcomer

« Reply #19 on: 01 24, 2008, 02:37: AM »

How about a "pack"?

Reminds me of a wolf pack.
Canis
Courier

« Reply #20 on: 02 11, 2008, 09:32: AM »

In the episode “The Trouble with Tribbles” 12 klingons were referred to as a swarm.   Wink

Later

I have encountered scarce few problems that could not be solved with an appropriate measure of disruptor fire!
Klythe
Administrator
Thought Master

« Reply #21 on: 02 11, 2008, 11:14: PM »

The Abbot brings up canon. The canon term for Klingons is, of course, a “swarm”. Which may or may not consist of twelve.

-=- Kesvirit

In the episode “The Trouble with Tribbles” 12 klingons were referred to as a swarm.   Wink

Later

Yeah, heheh.  Kesvirit had to explain the joke to me too.  When Niels Barris complained about Klingons swarming his station,  Kirk admitted he was not aware that twelve Klingons constituted a swarm.  Now we will not suffer from such ignorance, not that we all know that a swarm is 12 Klingons. 
Cheesy Klingon Grin
Canis
Courier

« Reply #22 on: 02 12, 2008, 12:49: PM »

I seriously doubt that Klingons refer to their own groups as swarms (even if there are 12 of them  Cheesy) but I always thought that the dialog in that episode was hysterical.

Later   

I have encountered scarce few problems that could not be solved with an appropriate measure of disruptor fire!
Klythe
Administrator
Thought Master

« Reply #23 on: 05 03, 2012, 11:28: PM »

Personally, after the TOS novel named "Enterprise", I associated 'Swarm' with Romulans rather than Klingons as the Romulan(pretty sure they were ony called Romulans in that book even though it was after Diane Duane named them the Rihannsu) fleet tactics at the time.

I teased that we should add a poll to this thread to vote on the ultimate answer...  I think we have more than enough nominations, those feel free to add more.  But I think the canon answer my be the one to beat...
Tlaura
Scribe

« Reply #24 on: 04 04, 2013, 03:53: AM »

How about an honor?
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: