Klingon Imperial Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
08 01, 2014, 08:51: AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Thu 26Jul2012:
     Due to security issues file attchments are disabled for the time being.  We are invenvestigating the impact to the board and working to ensure our forums are clean and trustworthy.   In the mean time you can email your attachments to Kesvirit and/or Klythe along with which message you want them attached to and we will add them.

11569 Posts in 1583 Topics by 644 Members
Latest Member: ihavegills
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  Klingon Imperial Forums
|-+  Klingon Language & Culture
| |-+  Klingon Religion & Beliefs
| | |-+  Writing the New Klingon Bible- A book of Klingon Religion by Fans?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Writing the New Klingon Bible- A book of Klingon Religion by Fans?  (Read 4281 times)
SoplaHtaHwI'
Senior Strategist

yuchvaD vIqvaD je jIyIn

« on: 06 05, 2006, 12:08: PM »

Another question (entirely?):

Do we really want to know? Is this something that should for instance be addressed in a novel?

[ split topic and changed title  -Klythe ]
« Last Edit: 06 21, 2006, 03:12: PM by Klythe » Logged

qa'pIn [SoplaHtaHwI'] qI'meQ vIghro''a'
yuch betleH 'obe' la'quv
Khemorex-Klinzhai member, IKEF member
Dishonored Captain of the former spacecraft qaDwI' Doq
Abbot Nej vIt
Highly Opinionated Klingon
Thought Master

"I Will Take the Conquerer Ceasers Salad... Now!"

« Reply #1 on: 06 18, 2006, 09:04: AM »

Another question (entirely?):

Do we really want to know? Is this something that should for instance be addressed in a novel?

Perhaps it is not a necessary piece of knowledge, but certainly the very discussing of it improves all of our understanding of the suject matter, which is ultimately part of the culture that we have all chosen to embrace in One way or another...

You are right is One sense though, it would be great to have a Novel address (Respectfully), the religious side of Klingon pre-history, and in particular the fate of the Gods...

Archbishop Nej vIt SutaI-H'Nter,
Spiritual Advisor to K.L.A.W. 4th Fleet,
Abbot, Dugh toy'wI' Library,
http://www.klingonlegion.com/summergames2006/
Klythe
ngem Sargh lIghwI' pagh cha'
Administrator
Thought Master

When a show of teeth doesn't work, bite deeply.

« Reply #2 on: 06 19, 2006, 10:43: AM »

Why would we not want to know?  I thought we are here to discuss Klingon things and learn from each other, but I could just be projecting my reasons for being here on everyone.  All things being equal, sure we would love to know what happened.   Now wether we want a novel or not, and if there is money in it.

I would want a novel only if it is done by a really good author.  The current novel grind has me bvery dissappointed as to the quality of the material.   A halfhearted book, or a full hearted book by an uncreative author would do far more damage.   Frankly, I trust the fans more.   We may not be prefessional writers, but we are more passionate in often capable of more creativity.  Plus we aren't getting paid, so we don't have deadlines to hold us back.

That's why we are asking these questions of ourselves.  A good deal of what we know about Klingons come from fan speculation, some of it is later made into canon, most of it is not.  As fans we each consider the other fans speculation and weigh it agaonst our own understanding of the Klingon Empire.  We decide to either reject it out of paw or accept it as 'good enough' at least until we hear a better explanation.  We have the time to weigh many different ideas and select the best, where as a commericial author has deadlines in oredr to make money that allows the one to eat regularly.

I really don't think a book on Kotar and his wife would be particularly interesting to casual readers, so I really doubt we could get a commercial novel written.  I vote we continue to discuss this ourselves. Cheesy Klingon Grin
Amadsuj
One Post Wonder

« Reply #3 on: 06 30, 2010, 12:08: PM »

While I am new to this forum, I am not nOO. I wonder if Keith RA DiCandido has ever thought about this, or has even been approached.
qurgh_
Klingon Conversationalist

« Reply #4 on: 07 07, 2010, 03:38: PM »

Any book on Klingon religion would suffer the same fate as all the books on Human religions: Embraced by a few and spurned by all the rest leading to a separation of people.

I would be interested in knowing how and when the current ideas about Klingon religion came about though:

When did the Klingons decide they had killed their gods?
Is there a connection between the death of Klingon religion and Kahless?
What kinds of religions existed on Qo'noS before their decline?
Did the Hurq invasion have an effect on Klingon religion?
Was Klingon religion replaced by Honor?

The sad thing is the answer to these questions can't be answered by us. I'd love to see some kind of canon book that covers these questions, as long as they don't do the same thing that Freidman did with the Kahless book (yuck, I hated what that book did to do to the Kahless mythology).

Kehlan
Senior Strategist

« Reply #5 on: 07 08, 2010, 03:18: AM »

Personally I really liked what the book did to the klingon mythology.   I didnt agree with everything in it but it had some interesting twists and gave us a chance to see what Kahless the real man might have been like.  There were certainly some missed opportunities and no mention at all of Lukara, which is a shame.

I also enjoyed the idea that just maybe, the cloned Kahless wasnt Kahless at all.....

I will say it could have been done better and I also think it deserved a proper book all to itself instead of being mixed in with a contrived modern day story that was only there to satisfy the publishers requirements that a major canon character be in the story

Captain Kehlan
USS Endeavour NCC-71805
Federation/Klingon Rapid Response Fleet
qoSagh
Warrior Bard of the Ontological
Thought Master

« Reply #6 on: 07 08, 2010, 08:16: PM »

While I enjoy KRAD's books and am glad that he brought Klingons back to the forefront, he is not the only Klingon author out there. I fail to see why he should be approached any more than anyone else. He has written a novel, a bible like wok would be heavy on doctrine and may not be exactly a novelist's task.

I also did not like what Freidman's Kahless did to the mythology. I hated the Picard story which was mostly pointless, but I really disliked the historical bits which basically took a bunch of vikings and crossed out their name in crayon replacing it with Klingon. It was in my opinion a very lazy way out of things.

While I will admit that much of what we worked on in the qaptaQ predates many of the modern concepts of Klingon religion, many of us spent allot of time with it. I even have most of it in printed form although it is not designed to be read as a whole. There are parts that are not on the site and bits from the site that are not in the book, but it gives a general feel for the type of project. Most of the other fan based works I have read share one thing in common, they are very far away from the 30 second (or less) sound bites the canon script writers have given us. That stuff wouldn't fill a matchbook, let alone a bible. There is a club in Colorado (I think) that is working on compiling the works of many fan based organizations and paraborg into one massive book of Klingon religion. I have contributed some of my work to that project.

qoSagh qlIStIy
meycha of the qaptaQ www.qaptaQ.org
Prothonotary of the Desert Rite
"I would kill the children of a thousand planets, just to see you smile."
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: