Klingon Imperial Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
12 13, 2017, 01:24: AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
The boards are having problems with email. We are advising members to set your secret questions and answers in case the board can't send email to let you reset lost passwords.
11894 Posts in 1664 Topics by 689 Members
Latest Member: regdun234
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  Klingon Imperial Forums
|-+  Forum Etiquette, News & Announcements
| |-+  Forum Feedback
| | |-+  Signatures?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Signatures?  (Read 20930 times)
X'na
Courier

« on: 05 09, 2006, 05:05: PM »

I am probably missing something right in front of my face, but how do you go about adding a signature?

I go to edit  my profile (which is where every other forum I belong to has the option of a signature) and...nothing.

Yet I see almost everyone has a signature.

I'm so confused!  huh

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Smiley

"I treat everyone the same until they prove themselves an idiot".
X'na Zantai Ab'Qaff
Captain of the Lion's Klaw
Proud Member of House Ab'Qaff
Abbot Nej vIt
Highly Opinionated Klingon
Thought Master

"I Will Take the Conquerer Ceasers Salad... Now!"

« Reply #1 on: 05 09, 2006, 06:16: PM »

X'na,

Goto your "Profile" menu...

Look for the "Modify Profile" sub menu...

There is an option labeled "Forum Profile Information"...

At the Bottom of the various fields there is a text box for sigs...

That said, I know that there are some "Permissions" that are granted with forum ranking advancement, I do not know if adding a signature is one of them or not...

Qapla'!

Archbishop Nej vIt SutaI-H'Nter,
Spiritual Advisor to K.L.A.W. 4th Fleet,
Abbot, Dugh toy'wI' Library
Klythe
ngem Sargh lIghwI' pagh cha'
Administrator
Thought Master

When a show of teeth doesn't work, bite deeply.

« Reply #2 on: 05 09, 2006, 06:26: PM »

It should be almost to the bottom of the "Forum Profile Information" section in your profile. 

If you can't find it...  It could just be that you need more rank to change it (but It shouldn't need that)...   IM me and I'll set it for you and figure out what the permissions need to be...
X'na
Courier

« Reply #3 on: 05 09, 2006, 06:46: PM »

Thank you very much for your help, Abbot and Klythe! I very much appreciate it. Smiley

I'll go see if I'm able to have a sig line and if I can't, then, well, I can wait till my rank is sufficeint to do so.

X'na Zantai Ab'Qaff
X'na
Courier

« Reply #4 on: 05 09, 2006, 06:53: PM »

AHA!! I think I'm good to go now. Thank you again for your help!  Smiley

X'na Zantai Ab'Qaff
Abbot Nej vIt
Thought Master

« Reply #5 on: 05 10, 2006, 03:38: PM »

X'na,

Roger that... Looks like you have things under control...

Klythe,

I would still be curious to find out if sigs are a "Permission" based option or not. If you get the time and opportunity to research it that is?

KoraS
Courier

« Reply #6 on: 05 15, 2006, 04:16: PM »

So I have to get up in rank in order to post my avatar and signaure?

can sombody please confirm that, as i don't have the line  "Forum Profile Information" in my profile

vIghoSta' vIleghta' yay vISuqta'
VENI, VIDI, VICI. (Caesar)

Klingon.org Forum RPG, "chal che'wI' tengchaH (Star Ruler space station) " - join us now
Kehlan
Senior Strategist

« Reply #7 on: 05 15, 2006, 06:00: PM »

If I remember rightly from my own experiences the ability to change it came with about ten posts.

Kehlan

Captain Kehlan
USS Endeavour NCC-71805
Federation/Klingon Rapid Response Fleet
Abbot Nej vIt
Thought Master

« Reply #8 on: 05 16, 2006, 12:42: AM »

Guess I should have been taking "Notes"...<Chuckle>... Of course we have been warned that all of the "Permissions" are subject to change...

jorDe
Novice

« Reply #9 on: 05 25, 2008, 10:07: AM »

The fact you (or as it is now "I") can not add a signature or an Avatar unless I post a bunch is junk. Tongue
D'Ghor epetai-Darj
Courier

Line Lord of House Darj

« Reply #10 on: 08 14, 2008, 12:32: AM »

Hey jor'De, yep I'm here too.

Regarding limits and such for what you can do like signatures and photos...I manage 5 forums myself and you get a lot of people who just sign up and then never post a thing and just take and not give. Then they disappear without contributing anything. So by setting limits, this not only encourages those who just start up to post and intereact but it also weeds out the veQ free loaders as well. Not to mention bandwidth hogs...photos can be very much a bandwidth hog and make it very slow for those with dial up.

Like you, if I see something worth posting about or responding too I will and eventually I'll be able to put up my avatar and signature as well...which means it is a well earned priviledge.

Qapla'

D'Ghor
« Last Edit: 08 14, 2008, 12:49: AM by KlingonGeneral » Logged

Sogh D'Ghor vestai-Darj
CO IKV SuvwI'po' (Skilled Warriors)
KAG Stormrider Fleet Quartermaster
Ship's Website
Kesvirit
Her Nibbs
Administrator
Thought Master

That which does not kill me, must have missed me.

« Reply #11 on: 08 14, 2008, 08:49: AM »

Well said, D’Ghor!

(Five forums? I’m impressed! Does the one ever sleep? It’s all I can do to keep on top of this one.)

...you get a lot of people who just sign up and then never post a thing and just take and not give. Then they disappear without contributing anything.

I have often wondered about this, and wonder if you have any insight into the matter. The KIF are open on a read-only basis. Potential posters are welcome to hop around the Forums, explore our contexts and content, and decide if they wish to participate. They don’t need to sign up for an account unless and until they wish to post. We are an open book that anyone may browse without commitment.

And yet only roughly half of those who have registered here have posted at all. (I stress “roughly” because we have had to reconstruct our database twice following systems crashes, and each Forum software system we’ve used has slung the numbers differently.) Why register an account and never return to post? It’s not that potential members don’t know what they are getting themselves into. This is a primary reason our permissions are graduated in accordance with post counts. It is frustrating to have people register, clutter up the database with personal data and graphics, eat up bandwidth and storage space, and then disappear into the void, never to be seen nor heard from again.

Of those who complain about our permissions system (and there have been several), I ask: are you here to meet fellow Klinfolk and discuss things Klingon, or to see your own words and graphics? If it is the latter that most appeals to you, try incorporating them into a wallpaper. You may find that others are interested in them as well -- there are few original Klingon wallpapers out there, and making more available for general use would be a service to the Empire.

Ah, topic...? Yes. Signatures. Those who have reached Novice status (five posts) may use signatures and post polls.

Richard the Sound Guy: "And the next person to lecture me about canon risks getting shot out of one! Right, gaffers?"
Gaffers make appreciative and supportive remarks in the form of bad imitations of primate calls from the direction of the lighting grids.
D'Ghor epetai-Darj
Courier

Line Lord of House Darj

« Reply #12 on: 08 14, 2008, 02:58: PM »

Well said, D’Ghor!

(Five forums? I’m impressed! Does the one ever sleep? It’s all I can do to keep on top of this one.)
Sleep? What is that? LOL. To throw in another thing is that I am married as well, (for how long that is another topic in its self...hee hee).

Thankfully my job isn't always busy and they do allow us to use some of our time (when it is slow that is) to do personal stuff so I try and do "catch-up" during those times. So far it has been a bit challenging but then again I do enjoy a good challenge.

I have often wondered about this, and wonder if you have any insight into the matter. The KIF are open on a read-only basis. Potential posters are welcome to hop around the Forums, explore our contexts and content, and decide if they wish to participate. They don’t need to sign up for an account unless and until they wish to post. We are an open book that anyone may browse without commitment.

And yet only roughly half of those who have registered here have posted at all. (I stress “roughly” because we have had to reconstruct our database twice following systems crashes, and each Forum software system we’ve used has slung the numbers differently.) Why register an account and never return to post? It’s not that potential members don’t know what they are getting themselves into. This is a primary reason our permissions are graduated in accordance with post counts. It is frustrating to have people register, clutter up the database with personal data and graphics, eat up bandwidth and storage space, and then disappear into the void, never to be seen nor heard from again.

This is just the nature of the beast...other forums on the net are adamant about "joining first" before you are allowed access or "you can look around but if you want to see more you have to join" and even though KIF is an open forum many are blinded by this concept and just join up out of habit thinking maybe it'll grant them even more access to other areas of interest.

For example a site I manage grethor.net/forums has adult content so in order to see everything you have to register due to age restrictions. My other site startrekpbem.org/sb214/phpBB2 is by invitation only but you can still see a limited amount of information there and not be a member.

So it is sites like mine that have helped set this type of thinking that most share in that they should join first so they can see it all... huh

Sogh D'Ghor vestai-Darj
CO IKV SuvwI'po' (Skilled Warriors)
KAG Stormrider Fleet Quartermaster
Ship's Website
qoSagh
Warrior Bard of the Ontological
Thought Master

« Reply #13 on: 08 19, 2008, 12:20: PM »

Sitting here as a Though Master, I'm probably not the best one to reply. I have no problem with the need to be active in order to get new rights on the forums. I do remember that is seemed like forever to get the last 30 or so posts to get to my current rank. For some reason I just couldn't find anything to post about or (productively) reply to. Plus at only 5 posts to get the signature, that could almost be done in your introduction thread.

qoSagh qlIStIy
meycha of the qaptaQ www.qaptaQ.org
Prothonotary of the Desert Rite
"I would kill the children of a thousand planets, just to see you smile."
SoplaHtaHwI'
Senior Strategist

yuchvaD vIqvaD je jIyIn

« Reply #14 on: 08 24, 2008, 09:50: PM »

Sitting here as a Though Master, I'm probably not the best one to reply. I have no problem with the need to be active in order to get new rights on the forums. I do remember that is seemed like forever to get the last 30 or so posts to get to my current rank. For some reason I just couldn't find anything to post about or (productively) reply to. Plus at only 5 posts to get the signature, that could almost be done in your introduction thread.
Oh man... I don't know when I actually stopped caring about how many posts I had. I guess it was at the point where it wasn't simply a few posts for the next rank... Don't even know what rank I currently hold... cool

qa'pIn [SoplaHtaHwI'] qI'meQ vIghro''a'
yuch betleH 'obe' la'quv
Khemorex-Klinzhai member, IKEF member
Dishonored Captain of the former spacecraft qaDwI' Doq
Kesvirit
Her Nibbs
Administrator
Thought Master

That which does not kill me, must have missed me.

« Reply #15 on: 08 25, 2008, 06:49: AM »

Anyone here for the post count is not likely to last long. They will get bonked senseless with the Dressage Cue of Lukara for repeated double-posting, mee-too-ing, and leaving posts consisting of nothing but smileys.  But it is more likely that they will simply wander off from boredom. (With a headache.)

SoplaHtaHwI’, your rank is listed at the top left of your post, right beneath your name. As of this writing, you’ve got 67 posts to go until reaching the rank of Thought Master.  Make 'em count.  }}: P

-=- Kesvirit

Richard the Sound Guy: "And the next person to lecture me about canon risks getting shot out of one! Right, gaffers?"
Gaffers make appreciative and supportive remarks in the form of bad imitations of primate calls from the direction of the lighting grids.
qoSagh
Thought Master

« Reply #16 on: 08 26, 2008, 12:12: PM »

I am certainly not here for the post count, but after the last rank revision, I realized that I was fairly high up the food chain. Once I got to the next to the last rank, it just seemed like everything slowed down. It was funny to me in a way that one could reach almost all the way to the top and then the hill suddenly got steeper. Fitting, but funny.

qoSagh qlIStIy
Klythe
Administrator
Thought Master

« Reply #17 on: 08 26, 2008, 07:59: PM »

Well, we *could* revise the ranks again to give more titles in between to smooth out the slope somewhat (Though the highest actual separation is 125 and it's halfway up the curve).  That would also push Thought Master up higher perhaps to say...  1200 to give as a new goal for all of us to strive for.  hehehe.  Nah, I don't think anyone at this point would care for a moving of the goals at this point, since we only have four people at the top rank and two people in the next three ranks combined.  We probably should grade the hill even more steeply.
SoplaHtaHwI'
Senior Strategist

yuchvaD vIqvaD je jIyIn

« Reply #18 on: 08 26, 2008, 11:20: PM »

SoplaHtaHwI’, your rank is listed at the top left of your post, right beneath your name. As of this writing, you’ve got 67 posts to go until reaching the rank of Thought Master.  Make 'em count.  }}: P
lol.
I actually did check afterwards, although not the "to go"-count. I did indeed find that the ammount is posted every time you do, but as I am not a post-counter (I count beans and pick nits (and gnats)), I'll put as much effort in all my posts as I can possibly muster at the time (currently 01:13).

Not sure what becoming Though Master will bring me, but again, not really looking for extra reward. Becoming a Thought Master alone does enough for me.

I do enjoy this board, even when, contrary to my nature, I cannot say something in all threads.
Kesvirit, Klythe and the Honourable Lady K'zin: thank you for giving us such a wonderfully open (ignoring the DoS-attacks for a second) medium to sharpen our wits and strengthen our bonds.

majQa' (well done!)

yuch betleH 'obe' la'quv
qoSagh
Thought Master

« Reply #19 on: 08 29, 2008, 12:10: PM »

I would have to say that on the one hand not seeking extra rewards is a noble position, but having come of age as a Klingon in the tail end of FASA, the very title of Thought Master is it's own reward, regardless of what it allows one to do on the forums. FASA said that Klingons were very title conscious, and I suppose that we in fandom are the same way for the most part, otherwise there wouldn't be nearly so many Admirals. One nice thing about the forum ranks however is that there is a standard one must meet to earn each rank. I have seen many in Klindom take on high ranks without doing anything at all for them. So holding a title that one has earned means something too, even if it is just for being a big talker (or writer in this case).

qoSagh qlIStIy
Klythe
Administrator
Thought Master

« Reply #20 on: 08 29, 2008, 05:05: PM »

Just for being a big talker?   I think it is clear that since we only have four users who have managed to attain this rank over the... is it seven years the forums have been running, and only one other is particularly close and another after who is well on their way...   that being the kind of big talker necessary to earn the rank of Thought Master is no easy task, as well deserving of the lofty title.  If I do say so myself.

One thing that is true for both Klingonaase and tlhIngan Hol is that Klingons do not much bother with idle talk.  And while their is some boasting that Klingons do, one cannot boast for very long before you are called on to demonstrate your proclaimed prowesses.

So do not minimize the importance of your contributions along the way of becoming a Thought Admiral.
SoplaHtaHwI'
Senior Strategist

yuchvaD vIqvaD je jIyIn

« Reply #21 on: 09 06, 2008, 08:47: PM »

It is merely a pity my club rank is lagging behind my Imperial Forums rank...
I've only made it to captain a week ago, but I am considered a senior strategist here... If only the two could be linked 8-)

yuch betleH 'obe' la'quv
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: