Klingon Imperial Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
04 20, 2018, 04:35: AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Thu 26Jul2012:
     Due to security issues file attchments are disabled for the time being.  We are invenvestigating the impact to the board and working to ensure our forums are clean and trustworthy.   In the mean time you can email your attachments to Kesvirit and/or Klythe along with which message you want them attached to and we will add them.

11897 Posts in 1665 Topics by 692 Members
Latest Member: smithassignment1
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  Klingon Imperial Forums
|-+  General Discussions
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  Martok and Sirella
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Martok and Sirella  (Read 8243 times)
Kehlan
Senior Strategist

« on: 04 06, 2006, 05:16: AM »

Has anyone apart from me wondered about the relationship between Martok and Sirella?  Martok says in "You are cordially Invited" that she rarely lets him share her bed...
Ok... well Martok spent two years as a prisoner of the Dominion.  In the meantime a changeling was posing as Martok - which means Sirella lived with a changeling for two years (even if he was away alot) - and she NEVER NOTICED.
Then we all find out about the changeling at Ty'Gokor and it is killed.  so Sirella now believes she is a widow as klingons are not taken alive.  Then she finds out he is alive and has been a prisoner - and the Martok who returns has lost all his confidence althoug he gets it back again eventually.
Well with all that., no wonder she's not too keen on sleeping with him.
Incidentally, we know for definite that they have one son, and in Left Hand of Destiny, they are given two daughters as well, but how old is Drex?  He seems very young in the books but not in DS9.  And how long have Martok and sirella been married?

Captain Kehlan
USS Endeavour NCC-71805
Federation/Klingon Rapid Response Fleet
X'na
Courier

« Reply #1 on: 05 03, 2006, 06:23: PM »

Hmmm...good questions all! Smiley

I haven't seen a lot of DS9 so I don't feel well versed enough to have a deep discussion about this particular topic. However, I agree with you 100% about why would she want to sleep with him after all of that Changeling nonsense? He's lucky she didn't just smack him around for being taken alive.  Grin

I'll look forward to more informed Klinfolk chiming in on this one. Good post! Smiley

"I treat everyone the same until they prove themselves an idiot".
X'na Zantai Ab'Qaff
Captain of the Lion's Klaw
Proud Member of House Ab'Qaff
Kesvirit
Her Nibbs
Administrator
Thought Master

That which does not kill me, must have missed me.

« Reply #2 on: 07 20, 2006, 05:50: AM »

I just dug up a story from several years ago that offers some perspective on the Martok/Sirella dynamic. According to author Ainzfern, Sirella had always loved another; she saw her marriage to Martok and the resulting children as something she was duty-bound to participate in. In the story her indifference toward Martok “drove him to” a something-on-the-side, and Sirella gave the affair her blessing provided they kept it discreet.

I gather that Sirella was denied her one true love by an arranged marriage. I can only hope that she eventually found a solution of her own.

-=- Kesvirit

Richard the Sound Guy: "And the next person to lecture me about canon risks getting shot out of one! Right, gaffers?"
Gaffers make appreciative and supportive remarks in the form of bad imitations of primate calls from the direction of the lighting grids.
Kehlan
Senior Strategist

« Reply #3 on: 07 20, 2006, 08:00: AM »

Do you know the name of the story or where I  can find it?  I'd like to read that.

thanks

Kehlan

Captain Kehlan
USS Endeavour NCC-71805
SoplaHtaHwI'
Senior Strategist

yuchvaD vIqvaD je jIyIn

« Reply #4 on: 07 20, 2006, 08:17: AM »

I just dug up a story from several years ago that offers some perspective on the Martok/Sirella dynamic. According to author Ainzfern, Sirella had always loved another; she saw her marriage to Martok and the resulting children as something she was duty-bound to participate in. In the story her indifference toward Martok “drove him to” a something-on-the-side, and Sirella gave the affair her blessing provided they kept it discreet.

I gather that Sirella was denied her one true love by an arranged marriage. I can only hope that she eventually found a solution of her own.

-=- Kesvirit
I find this hard to believe. I do not know much of the background of Sirella, but Martok was a common man who worked his way up the ranks.
How could his stature need or indeed require an arranged marriage?

And even if her family were into arranging marriages, I'm quite sure Martok wasn't the important man he later became at the time they married.
Sirella not marrying the man she loves due to family requirements seems plausible, but the arranged man IMO could never have been Martok.

qa'pIn [SoplaHtaHwI'] qI'meQ vIghro''a'
yuch betleH 'obe' la'quv
Khemorex-Klinzhai member, IKEF member
Dishonored Captain of the former spacecraft qaDwI' Doq
Kesvirit
Her Nibbs
Administrator
Thought Master

That which does not kill me, must have missed me.

« Reply #5 on: 07 20, 2006, 09:11: PM »

Kehlan...  Do you know the name of the story or where I  can find it?  I'd like to read that.

The stories (forming a two-parter) both feature M/M slash. The author’s website appears to be down but I have a text copy. Swear on your granny’s daqtagh that you are over 17 and that slash doesn’t bother you and I can send you a zipped copy.

SoplaHtaHwI’...  I find this hard to believe. I do not know much of the background of Sirella, but Martok was a common man who worked his way up the ranks.

On Earth arranged marriages are the norm in many cultures regardless of one’s class or social status. I have no reason to believe that it is any different in the Empire. Remember, it is an empire forged of conquest and would absorb many different social customs of the conquered peoples who become a part of it.

And even if her family were into arranging marriages, I'm quite sure Martok wasn't the important man he later became at the time they married.

Do you know this with any degree of certainty? I don’t, though I am not as familiar with canon or the later novels as many are. I don’t even know at what point in his career they were married -- Sirella’s family may have tried to hitch itself to a rising star.

In any event, Martok was away from home for most of his marriage soldiering, which did not exactly give Sirella opportunity or incentive to get to know him and warm up to him. Her true love notwithstanding, his absence may have prompted her to keep him at arm’s length figuratively as well as literally -- why allow yourself to grow to love a professional soldier who is unlikely to live to come home? To do so would be to set one’s self up for more heartache. I can see how an absent stranger would be easier to deal with than a dead loved one.

Richard the Sound Guy: "And the next person to lecture me about canon risks getting shot out of one! Right, gaffers?"
Gaffers make appreciative and supportive remarks in the form of bad imitations of primate calls from the direction of the lighting grids.
SoplaHtaHwI'
Senior Strategist

yuchvaD vIqvaD je jIyIn

« Reply #6 on: 07 21, 2006, 10:28: AM »

SoplaHtaHwI’...  I find this hard to believe. I do not know much of the background of Sirella, but Martok was a common man who worked his way up the ranks.

On Earth arranged marriages are the norm in many cultures regardless of one’s class or social status. I have no reason to believe that it is any different in the Empire. Remember, it is an empire forged of conquest and would absorb many different social customs of the conquered peoples who become a part of it.
I see the Empire as a place wanting and believing in the need to expand. Also it has, afaik, been established that Klingons take their image to the rest of the empire very seriously. This to me would mean that maybe arranged marriages are common place, but also the arrangement would be made to better the house.

Do you know this with any degree of certainty? I don’t, though I am not as familiar with canon or the later novels as many are. I don’t even know at what point in his career they were married -- Sirella’s family may have tried to hitch itself to a rising star.
If indeed Sirella and Martok married at a time when it was clear Martok was on his way to bigger and better things it would make sense. before this time I doubt Sirella's family, boasting decendance from the first emperor, would see the lowly-born Martok worthy.

In any event, Martok was away from home for most of his marriage soldiering, which did not exactly give Sirella opportunity or incentive to get to know him and warm up to him. Her true love notwithstanding, his absence may have prompted her to keep him at arm’s length figuratively as well as literally -- why allow yourself to grow to love a professional soldier who is unlikely to live to come home? To do so would be to set one’s self up for more heartache. I can see how an absent stranger would be easier to deal with than a dead loved one.
The distance between them can certainly be explained by them not being together and she not wanting to get too attached to him in case of his (un)timely demise. I would not blame her to keep a klingon on the side, whatever the case of their relationship might be...

yuch betleH 'obe' la'quv
Kehlan
Senior Strategist

« Reply #7 on: 07 21, 2006, 12:51: PM »

There is another story on line dealing with sirella and Martok's courtship and marriage, you will find it on  http://www.btinternet.com/~qeSan/EKS/

look under love interest for a story called The Odd Couple.

Kehlan

Captain Kehlan
USS Endeavour NCC-71805
SoplaHtaHwI'
Senior Strategist

yuchvaD vIqvaD je jIyIn

« Reply #8 on: 07 21, 2006, 06:52: PM »

There is another story on line dealing with sirella and Martok's courtship and marriage, you will find it on  http://www.btinternet.com/~qeSan/EKS/
look under love interest for a story called The Odd Couple.

Kehlan
HA! I know both authors personally! I should actually be writing there too... But I don't write.

yuch betleH 'obe' la'quv
qoSagh
Warrior Bard of the Ontological
Thought Master

« Reply #9 on: 07 22, 2006, 11:22: PM »

FASA had the concept of consortship which was was heavily influenced by benefit to the house/line. I see no reason why that wouldn't still be a factor. Although part of what has been established for the qaptaQ is that Klingons should wed for personal reasons not business reasons, there is no reason that ones status can not also benefit.

Since the Klingon Empire has been through many internal wars, I can see that a given family may come in and out of political favor. Perhaps this is the case with Sirella's family. They may be descended from the first emperor (although didn't Jadzia disprove that claim?) but maybe they need to be aligned more to the current power structure.

A commoner, who was rising up the ladder, without the help of a powerful house, could be a good person to attach onesself to. The fact that he was handed the Chancellorship on a federation platter was just an added bonus. I don't think Sirella could have ever expected to be the first lady, but she might have expected to be a generals wife someday. This might show, why she is so adamant about her status, she knows what a fragile grasp she has on it.

I however didn't take the remark about rarely sharing her bed, to be anything more that the musings of a male who had different opinions of how much is enough that his wife. This has long been the subject of debate and comedy. Many TV shows have used similar material as writing fodder.

qoSagh qlIStIy
meycha of the qaptaQ www.qaptaQ.org
Prothonotary of the Desert Rite
"I would kill the children of a thousand planets, just to see you smile."
Kehlan
Senior Strategist

« Reply #10 on: 08 10, 2006, 11:32: AM »

I however didn't take the remark about rarely sharing her bed, to be anything more that the musings of a male who had different opinions of how much is enough

I suspect you may be right there.  However I find myself wondering about how the whole Dominion thing affected Martok and Sirella an their marriage...  after all it was considered dishonourable for a Klingon to be taken prisoner, yet Martok was a prisoner for nearly two years.  When the changeling was exposed at Ty'gokor, Sirella must have assumed that she was a  widow.  Then she finds out, no that's not true he was a prisoner all the time.  That's on top of the fact that she lived with the changeling for two years and never even noticed.  That must have had some effect on their marriage, surely?

Captain Kehlan
USS Endeavour NCC-71805
me
One Post Wonder

« Reply #11 on: 08 20, 2016, 01:22: AM »

Has anyone apart from me wondered about the relationship between Martok and Sirella?  Martok says in "You are cordially Invited" that she rarely lets him share her bed...
Ok... well Martok spent two years as a prisoner of the Dominion.  In the meantime a changeling was posing as Martok - which means Sirella lived with a changeling for two years (even if he was away alot) - and she NEVER NOTICED.
Then we all find out about the changeling at Ty'Gokor and it is killed.  so Sirella now believes she is a widow as klingons are not taken alive.  Then she finds out he is alive and has been a prisoner - and the Martok who returns has lost all his confidence althoug he gets it back again eventually.
Well with all that., no wonder she's not too keen on sleeping with him.
Incidentally, we know for definite that they have one son, and in Left Hand of Destiny, they are given two daughters as well, but how old is Drex?  He seems very young in the books but not in DS9.  And how long have Martok and sirella been married?

Sirella is the mate (wife of Martok)    Martok say so in Star Trek DS9 - s07e19 - Strange Bedfellows.  Worf calls Sirella the wife of Martok when speaking to Martok  in Star Trek, DS9, 6x07  - You Are Cordially Invited.
qoSagh
Warrior Bard of the Ontological
Thought Master

« Reply #12 on: 08 21, 2016, 03:14: PM »

Revisiting an old thread is always fun.

I was never that big a fan of Sirella in the first place, I thought she was a poor character. So at first I am tempted to jump on the bandwagon of how bad it looks for her tp have missed the whole POW thing with Martok. Then another thought came to me. What is the Klingon stance on Divorce? I have never seen anything written about it anywhere. I see this having some effect on her, based on the other theories we have talked about here.

1) If it was an arranged marriage, regardless of the reason, there must have been some benefit to both houses. Might that benefit go away if the marriage dissolves? Could it have been land or property, which unlike status in society is a real tangible thing that could be maintained.

2) If it was a normal (for Klingons) courtship, then one has to assume that they both were seen by the other as acceptable mates. So for one with a purported royal heritage to see this in a commoner, there must be factors we do not know. Those factors might be strong enough to get over the dishonor of being a prisoner.

3) Martok must have some skills as a warrior. He was able to remain in his position even after a seemingly dishonorable event. While the Klingons are political, I do not see then getting beyond dishonor. Thus Sirella may stay with him because it is worth more to do so, although she may be unhappy about it.

qoSagh qlIStIy
meycha of the qaptaQ www.qaptaQ.org
Prothonotary of the Desert Rite
"I would kill the children of a thousand planets, just to see you smile."
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: