Klingon Imperial Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
04 20, 2018, 04:49: AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Realtime chats are now following a freeform schedule.  If you would like to chat with you fellows please see the It's Talk Time thread for more info or to schedule a chat.
11897 Posts in 1665 Topics by 692 Members
Latest Member: smithassignment1
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  Klingon Imperial Forums
|-+  Klingon Language & Culture
| |-+  Klingon Social Studies
| | |-+  Klingon clothing
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Klingon clothing  (Read 13760 times)
Tedra_deArr
Senior Courier

« on: 03 31, 2006, 11:30: AM »

alright, i was wondering.  I only have seen klignons in civil clothes in the old quarters (TNG) , grilka (DS9) and on this planet where they were living in this ex prision camp (DS9)

my question now, klingons which are a memeber of the military force, do they always have on their uniforms, or do they have civil clothing as well for their time off??? If they have, how would that look like???

Sometimes you have to punch your way through - Captain Kathryn Janeway

Empire of Warriors ORPG, "chal che'wI' tengchaH (Star Ruler space station) " - join us now
Abbot Nej vIt
Highly Opinionated Klingon
Thought Master

"I Will Take the Conquerer Ceasers Salad... Now!"

« Reply #1 on: 04 01, 2006, 02:51: AM »

Well, I Can only Really "Guess" at the Canon-esque Answer to that one... Which Would be that I Can Imagine Most Military Troops Mainly Wearing their "Duty" Uniform while Aboard their Vessels Patrolling or Waiting for the Next Conquest to Begin... But Certainly they MUST want to Wear other Garb for other times in their Lives?

In Terms of Fanon, I Have Definitely Seen Plenty of Fans Who Play Military Persona's Wear "Civies" for "Special Events" or When Comfort is the Priority... Especially The Long Time Veterans who have Already Spent So Many Long, Hot Sweaty Hours in Armor throughout their Careers, (My Self included), and Actually Look Forward to Opportunities to Wear Something more Comfortable...

Archbishop Nej vIt SutaI-H'Nter,
Spiritual Advisor to K.L.A.W. 4th Fleet,
Abbot, Dugh toy'wI' Library
qoSagh
Warrior Bard of the Ontological
Thought Master

« Reply #2 on: 04 01, 2006, 01:14: PM »

In terms of general look, I would think that civilian clothes would look the same for anyone within the Empire. So off duty military would dress fairly similar to those examples you have listed. Within fandom you will see allot of variations on these themes, and I think most are valid. I try to stick to colors and fabrics that we have already seen in use, which tend to the darker colors, and rely heavily on leather and fur.

qoSagh qlIStIy
meycha of the qaptaQ www.qaptaQ.org
Prothonotary of the Desert Rite
"I would kill the children of a thousand planets, just to see you smile."
Kaz Son of Maktan
Klingon Conversationalist

« Reply #3 on: 06 07, 2006, 08:53: PM »

Judging by the similarities in civie clothing to the standard uniforms (especially the bracers), I'm of the mind that even when a klingon is "off-duty" he or she is still a warrior, and thus their regular attire reflects that. Be they elders or teenagers, even outside of armor they are still ready to fight. It really would have been nice to see the diversity and richness of style (especially in Voyager's Barge of the Dead and more so in TNG's Rightful Heir) but I assume the default attire is the grey-n-blacks because of budget/time constraints.  While I'm at it, my favorite klingon attire was Kor's earthy duds in DS9's Blood Oath(et al.). I'm personally trying to emulate them.
-Kaz

Ars Brevis Vita Brevis
Kehlan
Senior Strategist

« Reply #4 on: 06 07, 2006, 09:00: PM »

Personally I really liked the dark green dress that Belanna Torres wore in the Voyager episode where the Klingons think her unborn baby is their saviour (sorry can't remember the name of the episode).

I'd really like to make a replica of that dress.

Kehlan

Captain Kehlan
USS Endeavour NCC-71805
Federation/Klingon Rapid Response Fleet
SoplaHtaHwI'
Senior Strategist

yuchvaD vIqvaD je jIyIn

« Reply #5 on: 06 07, 2006, 09:56: PM »

Personally I really liked the dark green dress that Belanna Torres wore in the Voyager episode where the Klingons think her unborn baby is their saviour (sorry can't remember the name of the episode).

I'd really like to make a replica of that dress.

Kehlan
the episode's 7.12, "Lineage" 8-)

qa'pIn [SoplaHtaHwI'] qI'meQ vIghro''a'
yuch betleH 'obe' la'quv
Khemorex-Klinzhai member, IKEF member
Dishonored Captain of the former spacecraft qaDwI' Doq
GTman05
Senior Courier

« Reply #6 on: 07 04, 2006, 06:17: AM »

i thought that Klingons were never really "off duty" making the uniform there main set of clothing, except for the dress uniform. and Abbot Nej vIt, since when do Klingons Value comfort  Tongue  Tongue
netlhQIn
Courier

« Reply #7 on: 04 10, 2008, 07:34: PM »

I'd actually assume it would be a less shiney and accented version (more "simple" perhaps?) of the clothes worn by Gorkon and friends in The Undiscovered Country.  I mention that because they wear a bit less of the weapon & armor bype clothes we see Klingons wearing in other occasions.

Human clothes tend to be fairly similar in design between relaxed and dressy styles, they mainly differ in the actual material itself, shineyness, and how heavily accented they are.
K'Voth
Senior Courier

« Reply #8 on: 11 10, 2008, 09:13: PM »

I think it is a personal choice. I know that Leader wol in a burning House (I think this reference is correct) had the opinion that civilian clothes were unnecessary and so didn't posses any until given a dress(?) by one of her troupe's mates.

Captain K'Voth
IKS Praxis Ascendant
Federation/Klingon RRF
Hod Qhi
Scribe

« Reply #9 on: 01 19, 2009, 06:25: AM »

Since much of our common Clothing comes from military influamce I think that Klingons Fashion is largely based on their military's uniforms. While the Formal overtunic [the Armour of the Uniform] is discard the under lining is much the same and then vest of Fur and leather seem to be the dress of the day. I doubt that Klingons have anything like the fashion houses of Europe in today's society. that said Civilian Clothes are often very much Unique as they likely are made by one's own house or mate. there for might include patterns or colours assosated with deeds of the house.
El Payaso Malo
Lettered Veteran

jaS jIvang-ghopwIj luQIHlu'chugh qIvonlIj vIpuplaH

« Reply #10 on: 11 22, 2009, 04:31: PM »

I remember seeing a scene from Voyager in which the holographic physician starts a family or something on the holodeck. His "son" comes home with two Klingon teenagers who are wearing (what I presume to be) typical Klingon youth fashion. It reminded me of what was popular in Los Angeles in the early to mid 1990's, only made to look a tad more futuristic. I'm not sure if this is something that would actually be worn on Kronos or is just made up by the programmer, but I'd wear it.

-'IwwIjDaq 'oH veS.
-ngoQ ghajnISbe' vIq. vIq ngoQ 'oH vIq. qatlh ngej rop'a' bIghelbe' 'ej qatlh meQ yotlh bIghelbe'. jISuvDI' meqwIj vIQIj 'e' DaghelQo'.
-qul ngaDHa' 'oH QeHwIj 'ej vaHbo' pubbogh 'Iw 'oH QeHwIj. choHIvmo' qaSuvbe'. bIyIntaHmo' qaSuv.
Kehlan
Senior Strategist

« Reply #11 on: 11 22, 2009, 04:39: PM »

. I doubt that Klingons have anything like the fashion houses of Europe in today's society.

I wouldnt be so sure of that.  We've seen Sirella a couple of times and her clothing is very ornate and stylish, as well a heavily jewelled.  Having said that, a Klingon fashion designer would likely think very differently to his/her Terran equivalent.

Captain Kehlan
USS Endeavour NCC-71805
Federation/Klingon Rapid Response Fleet
K'Voth
Senior Courier

« Reply #12 on: 12 08, 2009, 02:42: AM »

True and Grilka's choice of atire was similarly elegant and non military, although alot more subtle then Sirella's

Captain K'Voth
IKS Praxis Ascendant
Federation/Klingon RRF
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: