Klingon Imperial Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
12 12, 2017, 06:36: AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Thu 26Jul2012:
     Due to security issues file attchments are disabled for the time being.  We are invenvestigating the impact to the board and working to ensure our forums are clean and trustworthy.   In the mean time you can email your attachments to Kesvirit and/or Klythe along with which message you want them attached to and we will add them.

11894 Posts in 1664 Topics by 689 Members
Latest Member: regdun234
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  Klingon Imperial Forums
|-+  Other Klingon-related Topics
| |-+  The Klingon Game Room
| | |-+  Klingon and Star Trek computer games
| | | |-+  Star Trek Online
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Star Trek Online  (Read 15977 times)
Nenbek
Scribe

« on: 03 13, 2006, 12:56: PM »

Pretty soon Star Trek Online will be out, there is a lot of talk that this game will be that answer, but I do not think we will see player controlled Klingon Vessels for a little while. I think I still have screen shots of the Star Trek Online set to come out within a year or so on my forums, however I do wish to get your permission before I put any kind of link to anything like that, as I do not wish to give any illusions of disrespect. I feel that there is much you can help me with, me being a game clan leader, and me being a gamer, I believe I can give you some heads up as far as what is comming out, and previews or anything else you may need from the game world. We are kinda gearing up for a war, so I will be needing people soon, but as I said, I will not ask for men to man KDF ships without your permission sir. Glory to  you sir!
Nenbek
Scribe

« Reply #1 on: 03 17, 2006, 12:08: AM »

It has been a few days, and I still have no idea if I can tell everyone about KDF without offending the Founding Council of this forum, I ask that someone please post either way, thank you for your time.
Kesvirit
Her Nibbs
Administrator
Thought Master

That which does not kill me, must have missed me.

« Reply #2 on: 03 18, 2006, 05:05: AM »

My apologies for the late reply -- the seasonal rains have been wreaking havoc with the commnets, and repair crews are having trouble keeping up.

Just to clarify: the KDF is a faction-to-be in the Star Trek Onlione game, yes? You can post it in this section. We also have an entire subforum dedicated to RPGs and Sims where members may place recruitment posts and discuss, well, RPGs and Sims. I will leave it up to you to decide under which heading the KDF falls.

-=- Kesvirit

Richard the Sound Guy: "And the next person to lecture me about canon risks getting shot out of one! Right, gaffers?"
Gaffers make appreciative and supportive remarks in the form of bad imitations of primate calls from the direction of the lighting grids.
Nenbek
Scribe

« Reply #3 on: 03 20, 2006, 03:00: PM »

For Star Trek Online, KDF might intigrate with one of our allied clans, as KDF is no longer large enough to be considered for a ship of our own. KDF is more of an online gaming clan, but we are going to start RPG in online games, try that out for a while and see how that goes. As to where we belong on the forums, i am just greatfull that you are allowing me to post, since we are starting to get into the RPG thing we might fit there, but since we do it in online video games, we fit here as well. Where do you think this would fit better?, and would you mind if I tried to recruit some warriors? My Chancellor thinks that we could do better in the RPG world cause there are more RPG 'ers than gamers. Thank you again for your valuable time, and I will post in here for any updates on games that I hear about.
Klythe
ngem Sargh lIghwI' pagh cha'
Administrator
Thought Master

When a show of teeth doesn't work, bite deeply.

« Reply #4 on: 03 23, 2006, 08:36: PM »

Chances are it will have just as much chance being seen and read in either place.   From what I have read of the game, I think it  should stay here considering when this was first announce, Perpetual went out of their way to avoid avoid calling it an MMORPG instead calling it an MMOG, deleting the Role Play, instead keeping the Roleplay and changing the word 'game' to a near synonym.   

I wish I could agree with your Chancellor.  In my experience there are far far fewer serious Roleplayers than Gamers. 

For anyone reading this hearing about Star Trek Online for the first time, the game will not be release until some time in 2007 and at that time there will only be support for Federation races and all characters will be members of Star Fleet.   That may or may not change with expansion packs.   So the soonest I would expect that Star Trek Online will allow any Klingon content such as Klingon Players, the ability to  play in the Klingon Empire or on Klingon ships would be Winter 2007 or sometime in 2008.  Assuming of course, that they decide Klingons get to be in the first expansion.   The game is being designed around Star Fleet, and all player objectives will be based on that.   Creating gameplay and content appropriate to Klingon players is as big as an expansion as adding spaceships and space combat to Star Wars Galaxy was.   And that expansion took 16 months after the initial game to release.   

Please do not hold your breath.  You will asphyxiate.  [Update- In looking again, I've heard they are at the stage where they are recruiting the programmers who will write it.  They play for a beta around Summer 2007, which would put the official opening day at the end of 2007.   If it somehow only takes them six months to add in the Klingon stuff while they are also fixing bugs...   It's Summer 2008, and that is very optimistic, I think..]

However, if you want a graphical environmet to roleplay in there is a Bird of Prey in Second life.   Second Life can be played for free, but from time to time you may want to buy some in game money, unless you are really good at making money in game.   For example there is a Klingon avatar that can be bought with in game currency (equivalent out of game cash cost is just over one US dollar.)   I think there are batleth's in the game too, but I don't know who makes them.   I'm planning on making a Klingon disruptor and other Klingon weapons....  Perhaps eventually a Klingon Embassy.
« Last Edit: 03 23, 2006, 11:56: PM by Klythe » Logged
Kesvirit
Her Nibbs
Administrator
Thought Master

That which does not kill me, must have missed me.

« Reply #5 on: 03 23, 2006, 09:19: PM »

As to which Forum to post, it seems to be six of one, weighted with whichever aspect of the game you want to stress to prospective players.

The blade says that those looking for RPG/Sims are likely to look in that section so that they can compare the descriptions of the games; the barrel it is my understanding that online games are a bit of a rarity these days, and I think that those open to such a thing would most likely find it here. It will probably work out the same in the end at either subforum.

I also recommend that you post promotional messages on the Usenet Trek groups, as well as any relevant Yahoo, MSN, or AOL groups to which you may have access.

-=- Kesvirit

Richard the Sound Guy: "And the next person to lecture me about canon risks getting shot out of one! Right, gaffers?"
Gaffers make appreciative and supportive remarks in the form of bad imitations of primate calls from the direction of the lighting grids.
Nenbek
Scribe

« Reply #6 on: 03 27, 2006, 01:49: PM »

Thank you for your opinions, you sound like wise warriors. I will notify my Chancellor of your opinions, and even call a Council meeting, this second life sounds interesting, I might have to check it out. As for STO, I dont know anything about that, thats why we are thinking for that game we will merge with a friendly clan, they are much larger than we are, but for the other stuff KDF will be solo. Again, thank you for your advice.
Klythe
Administrator
Thought Master

« Reply #7 on: 07 12, 2006, 09:25: PM »

I haven't seen an update on thier webpage since February...  I wonder if they are still at it, on schedule, or what...
Nenbek
Scribe

« Reply #8 on: 07 14, 2006, 05:42: PM »

They are indeed still at it, and there is even a screenshot of one of the starship exteriors on my new clan's website here, (that friendly clan I was talking about merging with) http://www.galactic-rangers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=482&start=0
SoplaHtaHwI'
Senior Strategist

yuchvaD vIqvaD je jIyIn

« Reply #9 on: 07 14, 2006, 07:07: PM »

Please enter your username and password to log in.

qa'pIn [SoplaHtaHwI'] qI'meQ vIghro''a'
yuch betleH 'obe' la'quv
Khemorex-Klinzhai member, IKEF member
Dishonored Captain of the former spacecraft qaDwI' Doq
Nenbek
Scribe

« Reply #10 on: 07 21, 2006, 11:04: AM »

Sorry, you have to register with the forum, I forgot about the security. We are a gaming clan, and other gaming clans have messed up our forums before, so now you have to register before viewing anything. I recommend it, they are some good shots of what the Akira Class will look like from the exterior.
torqey
Klingon Conversationalist

An honorless klingon is like a profitless ferengi!

« Reply #11 on: 04 06, 2009, 06:20: AM »

Pretty soon Star Trek Online will be out, there is a lot of talk that this game will be that answer, but I do not think we will see player controlled Klingon Vessels for a little while. I think I still have screen shots of the Star Trek Online set to come out within a year or so on my forums, however I do wish to get your permission before I put any kind of link to anything like that, as I do not wish to give any illusions of disrespect. I feel that there is much you can help me with, me being a game clan leader, and me being a gamer, I believe I can give you some heads up as far as what is comming out, and previews or anything else you may need from the game world. We are kinda gearing up for a war, so I will be needing people soon, but as I said, I will not ask for men to man KDF ships without your permission sir. Glory to  you sir!
All I can say is, I am definetely playing a Klingon.

3 Jem'Hadar battle cruisers? No problem. A tribble on the bridge? Call for backup and send your strongest warriors.
K'Voth
Senior Courier

« Reply #12 on: 04 06, 2009, 05:47: PM »

It is looking good, Although i am pretty certain that my computer has no-where near the specs needed to run the game. I am looking forward to it!

Captain K'Voth
IKS Praxis Ascendant
Federation/Klingon RRF
Rametlh
Newcomer

« Reply #13 on: 11 17, 2009, 06:58: PM »

Beta will be soon.Game being released in feb is talk online atm.Am gonna try to get into beta on it, so far haven't had much luck with ST games,got the Klingon Academy when first came out and just upgraded computer a bit re put bac in to see, and nope still cant figure it out.No the intellectual type give me a Bat'eith and point me in the Right direction and well, always been a brawler type, U know All Bron no brains thats me hehee. I play Lotta different games and have 6 am beta testing now, maybe once it is out can actually make Rametlh come alive, have been Rametlh since AOL started back in the stone age u know when had a big computer with 94megs of HD, so Rametlh is old now days (but never dead) hehe.
Anyways Feb release is what they saying
Kehlan
Senior Strategist

« Reply #14 on: 11 17, 2009, 07:16: PM »

I was at a convention a couple of weeks ago and they were showing trailes for STO.. looked very impressive and if I were a gamer I'd have been VERY tempted.  the Klingon content looked excellent... apart from one thing  that really bugged me... they showed a screenshot of a fleet of birds of prey and referred to them as Klingon warbirds.... other than that, very impressed with what I saw of it.

Captain Kehlan
USS Endeavour NCC-71805
Federation/Klingon Rapid Response Fleet
Nenbek
Scribe

« Reply #15 on: 12 20, 2009, 08:06: PM »

I am sorry I have not been in here more often, I have been spending a lot of time in Eve Online.

I have been keeping up with the recent developments in STO and it seems that the Klingons are going to be bored?  We are going to be be mainly PvP based which is great but STO is not going to be a PvP game??  There will be PvP areas which are not similar in design they say to the Eve system where they have high security and low security all the way to no security.  And I think you will have to ask for duels which is also not in the Klingon way.  You cannot attack an enemy or a potential enemy.  In short I am afraid if you actually have the heart of a warrior Eve Online is the place to be rather than STO, of course you cannot be Klingon, but you can act as one.  STO is for you if you car more about the title Klingon than the true nature of what it is to be Klingon.
Klythe
Administrator
Thought Master

« Reply #16 on: 12 28, 2009, 07:07: PM »

Much is not known, and I've heard that Klingons only last week became available to play for the testers in the closed Beta program.  However, there will be battle sites and PvP.  It sounds as if everyone will have to play through until rank 6 as a Feddie in order to earn the honor of playing a Klingon warrior.  Perhaps this is to say a warrior forges himself and is not born to it.  I haven't heard if there will be missions specific to Klingons, perhaps not at the onset.

And I think you will have to ask for duels which is also not in the Klingon way.   You cannot attack an enemy or a potential enemy.

I strongly disagree with what you have written there.  Asking an opponent or honorable adversary to duel is very Klingon,
  From what I understood ther would be PvP areas and storylines, such that presence on the battlefield is consent to battle.  Of course you cannot attack "potential enemies" or attack the actual enemy indescriminantly.  It would be foolish.   Mustn't every Warrior learn to pick the right battle and strike when the moment is right? 

I know some who play Eve Online and know enough that the balance of power in that game has shifted to the honorless Goons.  If what you want in a game is the ability to grief and harass others and to get your pleasure in someone else's expense, then Eve Online is a good choice.  Honorable Klingon Warrors fight because it is in our spirits to.  Showing our opponents that we enjoy battle for the sake of battle regardless of the outcome is a Klingon Virtue.  Seeking battle only to disrespect and ruin your opponent's chosen lesure time, only serves to breed contempt.  Battle against a well matched worthy opponent builds strength in both.  If you are successful in always sneak attacking your opponents and beating them only because you cower from behind the cloak, would your opponent think you honorable and worthy as a Klingon warrior?  Would they want to do bettle with you again?   Where would the Klingon Empire be if we had no opponents?
D'Ghor epetai-Darj
Courier

Line Lord of House Darj

« Reply #17 on: 01 07, 2010, 05:36: PM »

I read the other day on the ST Online site that they do have missions for the Klingons and are willing to add more if there is a large enough turnout of Klingon Gamers.

Sogh D'Ghor vestai-Darj
CO IKV SuvwI'po' (Skilled Warriors)
KAG Stormrider Fleet Quartermaster
Ship's Website
Klythe
Administrator
Thought Master

« Reply #18 on: 01 08, 2010, 07:30: PM »

Are there any plans for a Klingon guild for this game?   How many forumites would be interested in such a thing?   Of course if you don't mind playing with Trekkie Furrries I would welcome you into our guild...
D'Ghor epetai-Darj
Courier

Line Lord of House Darj

« Reply #19 on: 01 09, 2010, 02:28: AM »

LOL! I am part of two groups now who are going to be playing there, one is with The Empire and the other is going to be with KAG STO Guild. This is going to be interesting to say the least. I know Korvas and I will be in both so it will be a bit challenging.

I truly do appreciate the offer...you never know, I may just take you up on it... cool

Sogh D'Ghor vestai-Darj
CO IKV SuvwI'po' (Skilled Warriors)
KAG Stormrider Fleet Quartermaster
Ship's Website
Nenbek
Scribe

« Reply #20 on: 01 11, 2010, 11:31: PM »

What I mean by duels is not the Klingon way is that its not how Klingons fight wars. I am sure when the Klingon Empire and the Federation were last at war Chancellor Gowron didn't order his ships to seek out, close with and challenge the federation fleet to duels in pre-approved areas where they could break into even numbers and engage in pretend combat until one force said uncle?  I think it went something more like seek out, close with and destroy the enemy by fire and maneuver or repel enemy assaults by close combat.

Star Trek Online is going to be more like Starfleet Online, I don't know about you but in the middle of a patrol if I find a federation ship I should be able to fight it, not ask it to go aside to a 1v1 arena or to a separate battle area I think the concept is weak.  The PvE thing, I think its a waste of time, I don't want to fight fake people, I want to fight people capable of free thinking, that is an accomplishment, not beating something that is programed to die after a certain amount of predetermined movements or whatever.
Klythe
Administrator
Thought Master

« Reply #21 on: 01 17, 2010, 03:58: PM »

Okay, I have been playing the open beta for a couple of days now and I've unlocked Klingons and played as a Kilingon.  I now know some of what is currently there and what isn't.  More that just what I have been told.

Right... The last thing you would do to pick a fight with the Federation is to go to the front lines of contested space...  Battles are not arranged to be equal in number and strength. 

If you are on a patrol mission, and you find a Federation ship, you will be able to fight it, indeed you must, unless you choose to cower behind your cloak.  Actually, There is currently very little PvE Content for Klingons.  So far they are designed mostly for PvP.  No you won't be able to interfere with Federation players attempting PvE missions, but you will be able to attack Federation players in PvP missions.  If you chose to, you can help to defend the empires front lines and no doubt many other glorious and important missions for the empire.  Be careful what you wished for...  Klaa said "Shooting at space junk is no test of a warrior's mettle"...  And then lost control of his ship to a Vulcan! }}:P

I will post more information about gameplay as I get it.  In the beta I am voqretlh@klythe, if you chose to communicate or any such as D'Ghor who might wish to ally.  The Federation 'guilds' are called fleets, the Klingons instead have "Houses", and there will be House wars.  In character, my own House, House vra'al, was not to be a large powerful house, but hopefully an influential House aligned with larger Houses.  We'll see if this fulfills itself in game.
Nenbek
Scribe

« Reply #22 on: 01 23, 2010, 01:04: AM »

Thanks for the heads up, all I have to go off of is the forum which you know it chaotic at best.  I don't think this game was at all marketed for Klingon gamers, I hope this changes. I am not interested in fighting PvE at all but we will see, if the game starts to look like its worth the money I will get it but so far it doesn't impress me.
Abbot Nej vIt
Highly Opinionated Klingon
Thought Master

"I Will Take the Conquerer Ceasers Salad... Now!"

« Reply #23 on: 02 08, 2010, 01:46: AM »

As per usual... It has been much too long--since last I posted.

This said, I too have been playing in Open Beta, then Head Start, and now the full release.

I have a lot of mixed feelings about the game from a Klingon fan perspective, perhaps even as a gamer, but I am enjoying it overall. I went in to this venture with the expectations that Cryptic Studios marketed the game with, which was that Startrek Online (STO) would be a full gaming experience, which included Roleplaying, Fleet Interaction, major customization, a range of possible playstyles, an equal level of content for each full faction, and, most importantly an episodic feel to missions as they relate to your Star Trek in-game career. And I think they probably meant it all. They are, by and large, Star Trek fans too. However, they are not coming from a Klingon-centric perspective--plain and simple. It is a Starfleet experience first and formost.

From that angle, the game is fairly effective. However, due to lack of time in particular, at some point Cryptic decided to focus on making the Starfleet aspects of the game their priority. After all, as hard as it is to admit, a majority of Star Trek fans (at least those I've met) are not the rabid advocates of all things Klingon that many of us are. So they put their resources into the Federation first.

Cryptic is a progressive company though, and they are saying that they hear the fans. They also want to have a profitable and commercially successful product. So, the more of us that let them know that we want more Klingon content the better. They have already stated that the first major game update will occur in the next 6 weeks (appoximately), and will expand the Klingon Player vs. Environment (PvE) gameplay. However, it is also clear that the Klingons will remain predominantly a player vs. Player (PvP) faction.

THis means that we will have to rely on the PvP system that Cryptic uses. Again, however, I would point out that they also are listening, very closely, to productive fan feedback. So let them know what you want.

The PvP system, as it stands currently, is a response to Cryptic's marketing research that found that STO players (apparently) were worried about having their adventuring interferred with by rabid PvPers out to keep them from advancing. So they came up with the Combat Que model. Personally I do not much like it, especially since Klingon advancement currently hinges on leveling via PvP interaction. Still, Cryptic has stated that they are paying attention to feedback, so play the game and judge for yourselves. Then let CS know what you think.

I have certainly been enjoying the game, though I have found myself focusing on the SF side of the equation because I want to play the story-based missions that it provides. Still, I remain hopeful that better Klingon gameplay is on the way... We shall see.

maj! {Good}...

Archbishop Nej vIt SutaI-H'Nter,
Spiritual Advisor to K.L.A.W. 4th Fleet,
Abbot, Dugh toy'wI' Library
Nenbek
Scribe

« Reply #24 on: 02 17, 2010, 04:35: PM »

I think I have decided to keep my forces in Eve, One of my men are in STO and he said it is good, but without the 'death penalty' there doesn't seem to be any incentive to stay alive.  I foresee hoards of kamikaze feddies just like we saw in Star Trek Bridge Commander.  I see it maybe getting better eventually but right now it seems too much like World of Warcraft.  Most of the people who play STO currently are not even Star Trek fans, that is an accurate assessment of the STO forums where 90% of the players who like the game admit they are not fans where as 90% of the people cancelling their subscriptions are.  
I was told once in STO's forums to shut my hole and stay in Eve, that the 'Star Trek Gaming Community' which I have been part of for 6 years didn't want me there because I insisted that you fight to live rather than respawns and 'instance' type environments.  I really hope that you can stay with it and make the game better for future players but I cant see paying that much per month plus paying for expansions just to be mindlessly camped and spawned.  
In Eve when I am camped I can call for backup, in a few minutes 200 ships can be at my aid, none of which allied or not can repawn so they have an interest in staying alive.  I am not suggesting that they roll over and go the way of Eve, but instead do what they promised more than 6 years ago. Your clan is in command of a ship, perhaps a few, your men are your officers.  If you die you lose it and have to regain your status.  Making everyone the captain is a boat load of fail in epic proportions.  
I wish you could see the glory of the game that Perpetual Entertainment started to create, before Cryptic messed everything up and released an unfinished game.  Perpetual was on to something amazing.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: