Klingon Imperial Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
12 11, 2017, 11:32: AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Realtime chats are now following a freeform schedule.  If you would like to chat with you fellows please see the It's Talk Time thread for more info or to schedule a chat.
11894 Posts in 1664 Topics by 689 Members
Latest Member: regdun234
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  Klingon Imperial Forums
|-+  General Discussions
| |-+  Klingon News
| | |-+  Klingons in the News
| | | |-+  "SHUT UP and VOTE!" -- Klingon voters in the last US presidential election
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: "SHUT UP and VOTE!" -- Klingon voters in the last US presidential election  (Read 7308 times)
Kesvirit
Her Nibbs
Administrator
Thought Master

That which does not kill me, must have missed me.

« on: 02 11, 2006, 06:52: AM »

This is old news, but it is news. Barely. Mostly. Kinda. Willamette Week Online reports:

home | news | Issue #30.47 | POLITICS |  9/22/2004

SHUT UP and VOTE!

your gateway drug to civic involvement

BY ZACH DUNDAS &  WW EDITORIAL STAFF | 503 243-2122

Klingons 4 Kerry
IMAGE: TOM OLIVER

Klingons for Kerry

EXCLUSIVE: Straw-poll shocker!
Fierce warrior race strongly backs Democrat.

Even as John Kerry struggles to establish national-security credentials nationally, an exclusive WW straw poll shows his campaign dominating one skeptical, warlike demographic: Klingons.

The poll, conducted when the DVD release of the Star Trek fan documentary Trekkies 2 attracted Portland's Klingon community to Tower Records on Southeast 102nd Avenue, may spell trouble for President George W. Bush.

The incumbent has staked his campaign on the war on terror. But those who speak the language of the Trek warrior race--known to disdain dishonor, or quvHa'ghach--seem alienated by Iraq and other issues.

According to the poll of eight local Klingons, a whopping 75 percent support the Democratic nominee.

Two Klingons polled--or 25 percent--said they planned to write in Satan.

Bush scored an abysmal zero percent in the poll.

"A good war is based on honor, not deception," says K'tok (Earth name: Clyde Lewis), a 40-year-old Klingon from Lair Hill. "The first warrior, President Bush, deceived us all with this war."

Portland Klingon speakers are increasingly influential. Last year, Multnomah County's mental-health services opened a search for a Klingon interpreter to work with speakers of the language.* Though the Klingons polled all appeared to be registered voters, they emulate an unfamiliar political system.

"On the home world, if there had been a contested election between Gore and Bush, the honorable thing would be for Gore to kill Bush," explained Khraanik (Earth name: Jason Lewis), a 38-year-old from Southeast Portland. "Or the other way around. And then ascend to the head of the High Council."

It's too early for Kerry to chill the ceremonial bloodwine, but Portland Klingons are clearly warming to the cerebral Massachusetts Democrat.

"Kerry has shown his prowess," says 33-year-old Neqha (Earth name: Eric King) of Tigard. "He saved his fellow warrior under the gun, and has been commended and awarded medals."

Neither the Bush nor Kerry campaigns were immediately available for comment on the poll results.

--Dominic Luxford with Zach Dundas

[* No, we're not making this up.]

* KerryKlingons.jpg (7.11 KB, 135x166 - viewed 259 times.)

Richard the Sound Guy: "And the next person to lecture me about canon risks getting shot out of one! Right, gaffers?"
Gaffers make appreciative and supportive remarks in the form of bad imitations of primate calls from the direction of the lighting grids.
KAllen
Klingon Conversationalist

« Reply #1 on: 02 13, 2006, 03:36: PM »

I don't see how 6 klingons represent the entire Empire.  I know I didn't vote for Kerry. Matter of fact, I don't think anybody on my ship(24) voted for that liberal petaQ. 

Lt.Col. K'Allen sutai-bortaS
Marine Commander aboard the IKV Bayou Serpent
Member of the IKV Bayou Serpent
House Cha'diCH to the House of bortaS
Klythe
ngem Sargh lIghwI' pagh cha'
Administrator
Thought Master

When a show of teeth doesn't work, bite deeply.

« Reply #2 on: 02 13, 2006, 09:04: PM »

A year and a half old...  Yeah that's a bit rusty...

I heard about that at the time and discussed this with the group I was in.  The group over all was more liberal than conservative, but mostly disenfranchised and 'allergic' to terran politics.   While Trek fans in general tend to bend to the left, I don't think the argument can be made for Klingons backing a liberal agenda in quite the same way on the issues of taxing the wealthy to provide benefits for the weak, protecting the environment and tolerance and understanding for your opponents. 

I will try to refrain from discussing either candidate's qualifications.  I would encourage others to also restrain themselves from attacking either candidate.  This thread will not be allowed to degenerate into an attack terran politicians, parties or other political, religious or social group.

I will say perhaps that Americans get the government they deserve based on the amount of effort they invest in educating themselves first, educating others later and their participation in the political system that they have devised for themselves.
Kehlan
Senior Strategist

« Reply #3 on: 11 02, 2006, 08:01: AM »

Just to add my comments to an old topic, eight Klingons hardly form a representative sample of the entire Empire.  However, forgive me if I am wrong but surely non Americans are not allowed to vote in elections... in that case then these eight Klingon nationals have no voting rights anyway - unless they have foresworn the Empire to take out American citizenship, in which case they could be considered honourless cowards and their opinions therefore worthless.

What worres me more is the reference to chilling bloodwine - *shudders in disgust*  Bloodwine should be drunk warm!

Kehlan

Captain Kehlan
USS Endeavour NCC-71805
Federation/Klingon Rapid Response Fleet
Abbot Nej vIt
Highly Opinionated Klingon
Thought Master

"I Will Take the Conquerer Ceasers Salad... Now!"

« Reply #4 on: 11 04, 2006, 03:37: PM »

What worres me more is the reference to chilling bloodwine - *shudders in disgust*  Bloodwine should be drunk warm!

Kehlan

Cheesy

It has, (Somewhat surprisingly, and this has been discussed elswhere), seemed to prove common for Klingon fans that I meet to over all be fairly conservative in their politics... A point that I would not have necessarily "Guessed" at before having been involved in Klin-dom... Not that I have not met plenty of Liberal Klin, I have... But they are in the clear minority... Course I live in the South, so most of the Klingons I meet are from Florida or Georgia, and this could be impacting my perceptions...Though many online

All of that said, it is a sad state of affairs that sees no choice but to vote for one of two clearly inferrior candidates... I was not satisfied with either of the options... In fact there really was not much of a "lesser of evils" choice either, in my less than humble opinion... This left little option but to vote party affiliation or Mickey Mouse... I felt cheated and likely should have voted for the Mouse... huh

Archbishop Nej vIt SutaI-H'Nter,
Spiritual Advisor to K.L.A.W. 4th Fleet,
Abbot, Dugh toy'wI' Library
Klythe
Administrator
Thought Master

« Reply #5 on: 11 04, 2006, 06:16: PM »

Normally I would be disposed of voting for an Anthropomorphic animal candidate, even if he is a cartoon.  However, I didn't feel Mickey Mouse had a sound economic policy.  He wouldn't commit to a tax policy or what his spending priorities were and where he was going to get his much touted $1 billion dollar spending cuts over his 4 years...    Donald Duck made a far more impressive candidate with his years of service in the Navy and straight talk about the issues.   If anyone can get this countries ducks in a row, my vote would be for Donald.  Cheesy Klingon Grin
Abbot Nej vIt
Thought Master

« Reply #6 on: 11 04, 2006, 06:52: PM »

Hmmm... I wonder how the Goofy vs. Pluto debate might go, seeing as the ones policies are likely really "Far out" while the others are... Well... Just plain Goofy... cool

Kesvirit
Her Nibbs
Administrator
Thought Master

« Reply #7 on: 11 04, 2006, 10:20: PM »

Normally I would be disposed of voting for an Anthropomorphic animal candidate, even if he is a cartoon.

At the risk of dating myself, does anyone remember the 1984 Bill & Opus ticket?

-=- Kesvirit

Richard the Sound Guy: "And the next person to lecture me about canon risks getting shot out of one! Right, gaffers?"
Gaffers make appreciative and supportive remarks in the form of bad imitations of primate calls from the direction of the lighting grids.
Abbot Nej vIt
Thought Master

« Reply #8 on: 11 04, 2006, 10:55: PM »

Darn tootin'... My brother still has the Opus and Bill T-Shirt where he (Opus) is wearing a button which says "Vote"... Bill is in a daze on the ground of course...

Kesvirit
Her Nibbs
Administrator
Thought Master

« Reply #9 on: 11 05, 2006, 12:04: AM »

quoth Klythe:  Donald Duck made a far more impressive candidate with his years of service in the Navy and straight talk about the issues.   If anyone can get this countries ducks in a row, my vote would be for Donald.

I don’t know... He runs around with three ducklings, none of whom wear pants. Given current scandals I think that would cost him the election. Without the scandals... eh.

-=- Kesvirit

Klythe
Administrator
Thought Master

« Reply #10 on: 11 05, 2006, 08:48: PM »

That all depends if they are Kennedy ducks or not...
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: