Klingon Imperial Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
04 20, 2018, 04:37: AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
The boards are having problems with email. We are advising members to set your secret questions and answers in case the board can't send email to let you reset lost passwords.
11897 Posts in 1665 Topics by 692 Members
Latest Member: smithassignment1
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  Klingon Imperial Forums
|-+  Klingon Guilds
| |-+  Klingon Imperial Costumers Guild
| | |-+  Uniforms & Tunics
| | | |-+  Worf's sash
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Worf's sash  (Read 16628 times)
Kaz Son of Maktan
Klingon Conversationalist

« on: 02 10, 2006, 07:22: PM »

Greetings!  I am new to this forum, so pardon me if I lack knowledge of any forum customs.
I am currently building my uniform and I am attempting to make Worf's sash as accurately as possible.  I have found grey alligator-embossed pleather for the ribboning, and I have narrowed down the size of washers and rectangular rings (both around 5/8"/15mm diameter/length). Now I just need to figure out what to make the rectangular links out of.
Do any fellow Klingon costumers out there have any advise on how to make the sash and or pictures of your own handiwork?
I would greatly appreciate any advice and aid.

« Last Edit: 02 27, 2006, 06:56: PM by Khaz Son of Maktan » Logged

Ars Brevis Vita Brevis
Krell son of Kamar
Novice

« Reply #1 on: 10 15, 2006, 08:10: AM »

http://starfleettailor.com/
StarFleet tailor   
Kaz Son of Maktan

« Reply #2 on: 09 29, 2007, 10:49: PM »

It's been a year, but I checked out the site. They have such a huge collection of great work! I actually just recently saw this other person's site of photos from his attendance at the Christie's auction, and he's got the best close up pic of Worf's honor sash ever seen. Of course, I still haven't made it, but with that pic I hope to make it soon. (it's just gonna be real hard with the rectangular links as I think I'm gonna have to cut and bend each myself out of aluminum or something.)  http://www.johnpearse.partsking.net/auction/worf.jpg

Ars Brevis Vita Brevis
netlhQIn
Courier

« Reply #3 on: 04 08, 2008, 02:14: PM »

Also, in a lot of movies like Braveheart, chain mail shirts were simulated by brush painting sweater material with silver paint.  This could be a cheap way to simulate part of Worf's sash or to simulate other chainmail-like materials.
Klythe
ngem Sargh lIghwI' pagh cha'
Administrator
Thought Master

When a show of teeth doesn't work, bite deeply.

« Reply #4 on: 04 12, 2008, 06:51: PM »

Yeah it's surprising to find out some of the things they get away with in Hollywood.    They have an advantage that they have much more control over what the audience sees and for how long they get to see it.   If something happens to reveal the ruse they can retake or edit the offending second or two out of the movie.  Also they can dress their fabric mail with the sounds of real chain mail if needed.  None of these luxuries or as Koloth would say "non-essentials", are likely to be available for a Klingon stalking the halls at a convention, looking imposing at a charity event or Romping around town having dinner at a fancy restaurant.

Still, knowing it's limitations... I think I will try this out.  It could be useful for beginners like me, going for a 'good enough' look, or when you are traveling with a larger group of Klingons.
voraq

son of Dutrogath

« Reply #5 on: 02 05, 2009, 10:47: PM »

I don't know if its needed any more, but I'll say it any way (for Klingons with same questions in the future).

I too used the washer method and assembled the sash myself, it took forever.  But when it comes to ones battle armor (my friends insist on calling it a costume) Cheesy all the care needed is usually used.   I found the best looking link material was staples for a staple gun.  without the ribbon weave, i used the same vynal that's on my tunic, the staples look a little skinny(width wise) but it looks great with the weave. 

I'm currently considering using the staples for the chain holding the holster. Because the images I've seen (at least main characters) have the chain that looks unique.  Ive not been able to find exactly the same look, very close though.  My decision needs to be weather the daunting task of linking together enough staples to have a "doubled link"  look and span my torso from waiste over opposite shoulder back to waiste is actually worth it, or if I should just use that "almost but not quite" chain I found. (after all a Klingon only has a finite amount of patience)
Kaz Son of Maktan

« Reply #6 on: 02 23, 2009, 07:34: AM »

Having found the approximate enough looking staples and such for my baldric, and having left it all to sit in the box thinking over the daunting task of bending and hammering each and every link, I would give you my vote for taking a different route. (Not that I've given up!) Even though the work on a holster chain would be exponentially far less tiresome. I have been looking for an approximate chain for my dagger sheath. I have found a great array online (at auctions and craft trim stores) for men's fashion wallet chains. Then again, there are some decent small link chains available at OSH that have been used klingon extras.

Ars Brevis Vita Brevis
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: