Klingon Imperial Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
04 20, 2018, 04:50: AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Realtime chats are now following a freeform schedule.  If you would like to chat with you fellows please see the It's Talk Time thread for more info or to schedule a chat.
11897 Posts in 1665 Topics by 692 Members
Latest Member: smithassignment1
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  Klingon Imperial Forums
|-+  Other Klingon-related Topics
| |-+  The Klingon Game Room
| | |-+  Klin Zha
| | | |-+  Klin-Zha On Star Trek?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Klin-Zha On Star Trek?  (Read 8623 times)
J'Maq
Senior Courier

« on: 02 04, 2006, 10:10: AM »

Was Klingon Chess/ Klin-Zha ever been mentioned in TOS, NG, DS9, STV, or ENT.? 

J'Maq, son of Maal
Member of House Reshtarc
Klingon Archivist
"The character of a Klingon warrior is measured not only by the metal of his blade--but also by the mettle of his heart."
Abbot Nej vIt
Highly Opinionated Klingon
Thought Master

"I Will Take the Conquerer Ceasers Salad... Now!"

« Reply #1 on: 02 04, 2006, 02:08: PM »

I Believe that Klinzha is a Strictly FASA/Ford Creation... (Though Well Loved by Fans), I Have Never Heard Canon Mention of the Game...

Archbishop Nej vIt SutaI-H'Nter,
Spiritual Advisor to K.L.A.W. 4th Fleet,
Abbot, Dugh toy'wI' Library
qoSagh
Warrior Bard of the Ontological
Thought Master

« Reply #2 on: 02 05, 2006, 05:02: PM »

The only games I remember being seen on Star Trek were either made up ones like fizbin (my favorite) or games that were bought because they looked futuristic. One such game is Abalone, which is a strategy game played with different colored marbles. It was available in many game stores a few years ago, then some set designer put it in Ten Forward. The manufacturers were quick to release a TNG edition box.

On a side note I have used a game called Quarto at fan tables at conventions. Sometimes playing to pass the time, sometimes challenging passers by to go up against the Klingon in a strategy game.

qoSagh qlIStIy
meycha of the qaptaQ www.qaptaQ.org
Prothonotary of the Desert Rite
"I would kill the children of a thousand planets, just to see you smile."
KAllen
Klingon Conversationalist

« Reply #3 on: 02 08, 2006, 02:51: PM »

Don't forget "Stratigema" where Data "busted him up".  Him being that dude when the Enterprise had to fight that dead ship w/ Riker in the seat. 

Stratigema was the game where they had cowmilkers on their fingers and they tried to fill up blocks.

Lt.Col. K'Allen sutai-bortaS
Marine Commander aboard the IKV Bayou Serpent
Member of the IKV Bayou Serpent
House Cha'diCH to the House of bortaS
Abbot Nej vIt
Highly Opinionated Klingon
Thought Master

"I Will Take the Conquerer Ceasers Salad... Now!"

« Reply #4 on: 02 08, 2006, 03:59: PM »

Don't forget "Stratigema" where Data "busted him up". Him being that dude when the Enterprise had to fight that dead ship w/ Riker in the seat.

Stratigema was the game where they had cowmilkers on their fingers and they tried to fill up blocks.

I Sort of Remember that Episode, (Though Not the Names of Either Data's opponant nor the Episode Title itself)...

But as I Recall, Data Figured out the The "Champion" was Cheating or Something Right?

Also there was the VR Game Wessly and most of the Rest of the Enterprise D Crew Got "Addicted" too, though Once again I can Not Recall the Name of it.

As For Klingon Games there was also the "Hoop and Spear" Game Seen on DS9 When Worf Found the Romulan Prison Camp Populated by a Handful of Survivors of the Khitomer Attack.

Archbishop Nej vIt SutaI-H'Nter,
Spiritual Advisor to K.L.A.W. 4th Fleet,
Abbot, Dugh toy'wI' Library
Klythe
ngem Sargh lIghwI' pagh cha'
Administrator
Thought Master

When a show of teeth doesn't work, bite deeply.

« Reply #5 on: 02 09, 2006, 01:15: AM »

Klin Zha chess was conceived by John Ford for his book, "The Final Reflection".  This book was published in 1984, between Star Trek 2 and 3.  Ford had an associate at FASA who did the game design and they collaborated to a certain extent.

As much as the book was well written and conceived, and as much as it adds to Klindom, don't expect any of it to be canonized ever.   The novels are specifically unofficial and non-canon as far as Paramount is concerned.   Particularly in the case of the Final Reflection, there has been numerous opportunity to canonize it or at least allow it as a possibility, but instead it is consistently contradicted.

But nothing is there to stop fans from considering all material whether officially recognized by Paramount or not.
« Last Edit: 01 27, 2008, 07:40: PM by Klythe » Logged
emperorkalan
Newcomer

« Reply #6 on: 09 15, 2006, 11:46: PM »

While it hasn't appeared on any of the shows (and thus is non-canon), Keith R.A. DeCandido has been incorporating a number of items and themes from The Final Reflection into some of his more recent Klingon-themed novels (including, specifically, klin zha and  old Battlecruiser Veangence vids).
Qunchuy
Lettered Veteran

« Reply #7 on: 09 16, 2006, 03:50: AM »

Both the idea of the Black Fleet and the phrase "hand of Kahless" made the transition from The Final Reflection to filmed Star Trek.
Kesvirit
Her Nibbs
Administrator
Thought Master

That which does not kill me, must have missed me.

« Reply #8 on: 09 18, 2006, 04:06: AM »

Both the idea of the Black Fleet and the phrase "hand of Kahless" made the transition from The Final Reflection to filmed Star Trek.

Which episode(s)/film(s)?

-=- Kesvirit

Richard the Sound Guy: "And the next person to lecture me about canon risks getting shot out of one! Right, gaffers?"
Gaffers make appreciative and supportive remarks in the form of bad imitations of primate calls from the direction of the lighting grids.
soup_borg
Senior Courier

Remember, always be yourself. Unless you suck.

« Reply #9 on: 01 25, 2008, 08:09: PM »

I Sort of Remember that Episode, (Though Not the Names of Either Data's opponant nor the Episode Title itself)...

But as I Recall, Data Figured out the The "Champion" was Cheating or Something Right?

Also there was the VR Game Wessly and most of the Rest of the Enterprise D Crew Got "Addicted" too, though Once again I can Not Recall the Name of it.

As For Klingon Games there was also the "Hoop and Spear" Game Seen on DS9 When Worf Found the Romulan Prison Camp Populated by a Handful of Survivors of the Khitomer Attack.

Wrong, no cheating.  Data simply "busted him up"--Kolrami--by playing to a stalemate.  The episode was "Peak Performance."

The Ktarian game from the episode "The Game", that's what Wesley and the others got addicted to.  Personally, I never liked that episode.

Actually, it was a TNG episode that took place on DS9, "Birthright, Parts 1 & 2".  I can't remember the name of the game though.  Sad

MCPO Saleel Ki'kaal P'V'B, son of Do'Iteq
Chief Of the Boat, USS Antares
Obsidian Fleet Task Force 21-C
Satoy'neS  [Sa- = I-you (plural) prefix; toy' = serve (a master); -neS = honorific]
Khartan
Novice

« Reply #10 on: 02 26, 2012, 08:12: AM »

Which episode(s)/film(s)?

-=- Kesvirit

I cannot speak to the "hand of Kahless," but the Black Fleet is mentioned several times within the Star Trek: Klingon PC game and, most importantly, in the song Qoy qeylIs puqloD.  The reason that is so important is the song was later used again in DS9 "Soldiers of the Empire".  As far as I know, this is the only reference to the Black Fleet in canon Star Trek.
wolf macleod
Newcomer

« Reply #11 on: 07 16, 2015, 09:39: AM »

I have a viking game which is interestingly quite klingon like
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: