Klingon Imperial Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
04 20, 2014, 07:19: PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
The boards are having problems with email. We are advising members to set your secret questions and answers in case the board can't send email to let you reset lost passwords.
11499 Posts in 1568 Topics by 620 Members
Latest Member: auror100
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  Klingon Imperial Forums
|-+  Other Klingon-related Topics
| |-+  The Klingon Science Lab
| | |-+  Klingon Biology & Physiology
| | | |-+  Wild Life
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Wild Life  (Read 5563 times)
J'Maq
Senior Courier

« on: 01 08, 2006, 11:58: PM »

Perhaps a listing of the indigenous wild life on the home world and on other planets throughout the empire would be of some use/interest?
Why should Targs "hog" all of the spot light?

J'Maq, son of Maal
Member of House Reshtarc
Klingon Archivist
"The character of a Klingon warrior is measured not only by the metal of his blade--but also by the mettle of his heart."
tmk1000
Old Guard
Klingon Conversationalist

« Reply #1 on: 01 09, 2006, 04:06: PM »

Kli.com has a list of new klingon words and a great many animals

borghel
(n) a very small bird whose eggs are considered quite tasty
bo'Degh
(n) bird, the most general word for a bird-like creature

{ro'qegh'Iwchab HInob.}

"May your coordinates be free of tribbles."
   {QuvlIjDaq yIH tu'be'lu'jaj.}
Klythe
ngem Sargh lIghwI' pagh cha'
Administrator
Thought Master

When a show of teeth doesn't work, bite deeply.

« Reply #2 on: 01 12, 2006, 02:43: PM »

Heheh, you aren't looking hard enough.   As a "Highly-Realistic" Furry Klingon character, the various Klingon fauna are an important thing for me.

Even though my avatar is a targh, there are many many Klingon animals both canonical, and not so much.    In our own forums, under the Klingon Sciences Forums you can find a section devoted to the subject of Klingon Biology.  In there are threads about several species lungmey, "Saber Bears", Sarghmey, the infamous Tribble
and the tribble predator, the Glommer.

Off the top of my head other canon animals of the Klingon Empire are the "Grishnar cats" and the "Tika Cats".  Pawns and Symbols gave us three animals, including the ngkatha of Tsorn, a sixlegged animal that is touch telepathic to Vulcans and Hyoomins, but not (some? most?) Klingons.  I think I had a more exhaustive list...  But I think I lost it when my hard drive crashed.

PS "Kluwer Law International" is probably not the best source for anything Klingon.  I think TMK1k meant The Klingon Language Institute at Kli.org.    Their list is pretty bird intesive because one of Maltz's freinds asked for vocabulary related to flying critters, and Maltz was generous.
Kesvirit
Her Nibbs
Administrator
Thought Master

That which does not kill me, must have missed me.

« Reply #3 on: 01 13, 2006, 07:14: PM »

Zan Klythe, is this the list to which you refer?  It was posted by qurgh, long long ago (we were still on the xmb software).  Much of it is rumored to have come from Maltz, who as a prisoner is a less-than-relaible informant. I do not know which of these animals are found on the homeworld or which may be spread out across the Empire’s holdings. The lack of detail in his descriptions indicate to me that:

1. Maltz is a city boy, and/or
2. He was having some fun at the expense of said “friend” by giving out only names with no descriptions or other details. Any organism costists of more than a name, and “Type of animal” is hardly helpful as a definition. Thus I have no idea which are domesticated and which are wild (as specified by the thread title).

po' Ha'DIbaH | | morning animal; used to refer to a 'uSgheb;
jajlo' Qa' | | animal; dawn Qa';makes a fuss in the morning
tangqa' | | animal species with both genders resembling a Terren bull
'IghvaH | | type of animal; #igvah#;
'er | | type of animal
vIghro' | | type of animal; #v'gro# (like a cat);
to'baj | | type of animal; #tobbaj#;
toqvIr lung | | type of animal; Tokvarian skink;
toppa' | | type of animal; #topah#;
tI'qa' vIghro' | | type of animal; #tika# cat;
tIqnagh | | type of animal; #tknag#;
teghbat | | type of animal; #teg'bat#;
Suy' | | type of animal; #shooy#;
Qogh | | type of animal
Qa'raj | | type of animal
Qa'Hom | | type of animal (similar to a #Qa'#; but smaller);
Qa' | | type of animal
Qaj | | type of animal; #kradge#;
norgh | | type of animal; #norg# (sharklike sea creature);
mIl'oD | | type of animal; sabre bear;
lung | | type of animal; #loong# (lizardlike);
lIngta' | | type of animal; #lingta#;
chemvaH | | type of animal; #chemvah#;
boqrat | | type of animal; #bokrat#;
laq | | flap; flap wings;a bird laqmoH its wings
qaryop'a' | | bird; a mimicking bird;a larger version of the qaryop
qaryop | | bird; a mimicking bird;
vIlInHoD | | bird; a mimicking bird;
'uSgheb | | bird; a noisy bird at dawn (like a rooster);
yatqap | | bird; a grey or white bird that travels particulary kong distances without pausing;
waqbogh | | bird; a bird with a very long beak;
vem'eq | | bird; a bird that feeds almost exclusivly on the serpent worm from which qagh is made (Klings don't like 'em);
toQ | | bird; bird of prey;
raw' | | bird; an aquatic bird with colourful plumage;
qanraD | | bird; another bird known for its song;
parbIng | | bird; a mid-sized bird with particularly garish colouring;
qa'rol | | bird; a really big
notqa' | | bird; a large
lotlhmoq | | bird; a bird that swoops into water in orderbto catch food
lIr | | bird; a nocturnal bird;
Da'nal | | bird; small bird characterized by erratic unpredictable behaviour similar to a Da'vI';
Da'vI' | | bird; small bird characterized by erratic unpredictable behaviour similar to a Da'nal;
cha'qu' | | bird; a bird noted for its song;
cha'par | | bird; a bird noted for its song;
cha'naS | | bird; a small bird which digs up bugs to eat;
cha'Do' | | bird; Maltz wasn't sure what kind of bird this was
cha'bIp | | bird; a bird noted for its speed;
borghel | | bird; a very small bird whose eggs are considered quite tasty;
bo'Degh | | bird

"Some of these are made up by Okrand, some are made up by Paramount and some come from other Authors." -- qurgh

Richard the Sound Guy: "And the next person to lecture me about canon risks getting shot out of one! Right, gaffers?"
Gaffers make appreciative and supportive remarks in the form of bad imitations of primate calls from the direction of the lighting grids.
Abbot Nej vIt
Highly Opinionated Klingon
Thought Master

"I Will Take the Conquerer Ceasers Salad... Now!"

« Reply #4 on: 01 14, 2006, 12:09: PM »

Yes I Remember seeing this List On the KLI Site... And By The Blade that is quite an assortment of Birds...

Archbishop Nej vIt SutaI-H'Nter,
Spiritual Advisor to K.L.A.W. 4th Fleet,
Abbot, Dugh toy'wI' Library,
http://www.klingonlegion.com/summergames2006/
Klythe
Administrator
Thought Master

« Reply #5 on: 01 16, 2006, 07:29: PM »

That;s the one...  Let me try this out...

Klingon Animal NameDescriptionNearest equivalent
pIpIyuSfood animal whose eating requires breaking it's clawsLobster/prawn/shrimp?
qarada'food animal whose legs are boiledOctopus/squid?
po' Ha'DIbaHmorning animal; used to refer to a 'uSgheb
jajlo' Qa'animal; dawn Qa';makes a fuss in the morning(could be a ground animal as a Qa'Hom is)Used metaphorically as a rooster in Hamlet
tangqa'animal species with both genders resembling a Terran bullBovine
'IghvaHtype of animal; igvah;
'ertype of animal
vIghro'type of animal; v'gro (like a cat);// This seems to be used for the category of felines large. medium and small
to'bajtype of animal; tobbaj; Starwars has an animal called "Tabbage" wich could be the inspiriation
toqvIr lungtype of animal; Tokvarian skink;
toppa'type of animal; topah;
tI'qa' vIghro'type of animal; tikaa cat;
tIqnaghtype of animal; tknag; (small hooved animal)goat or dear?
teghbattype of animal; teg'bat;
Suy'type of animal; shooy;
Qoghtype of animal
Qa'rajtype of animal
Qa'Homtype of animal (similar to a Qa'; but smaller);
Qa'type of animal
Qajtype of animal; kradge;
norghtype of animal; norg (sharklike sea creature);
mIl'oDtype of animal; sabre bear;Similidon (informally called a Saber toothed Tiger)
lungtype of animal; loong (lizardlike);Category containing Lizard like reptiles and amphibians
lIngta'type of animal; lingta;
chemvaHtype of animal; chemvah;
boqrattype of animal; bokrat;
bo'Deghbird
laqflap; flap wings;a bird laqmoH its wings
qaryoq'a'bird; a mimicking bird;a larger version of the qaryop
qaryoqbird; a mimicking bird;
vIlInHoDbird; a mimicking bird;
'uSghebbird; a noisy bird at dawn (like a rooster);
yatqapbird; a grey or white bird that travels particulary kong distances without pausing;
waqboghbird; a bird with a very long beak;
vem'eqbird; a bird that feeds almost exclusivly on the serpent worm from which qagh is made (Klings don't like 'em);
toQbird; bird of prey;
raw'bird; an aquatic bird with colourful plumage;
qanraDbird; another bird known for its song;
parbIngbird; a mid-sized bird with particularly garish colouring;
qa'rolbird; a really big
notqa'bird; a large
lotlhmoqbird; a bird that swoops into water in order to catch food
lIrbird; a nocturnal bird;
Da'nalbird; small bird characterized by erratic unpredictable behaviour similar to a Da'vI';
Da'vI'bird; small bird characterized by erratic unpredictable behaviour similar to a Da'nal;
cha'bIpbird; a bird noted for its speed;Roadrunner (cha' is 2, Beep beep!))[//td]
cha'Do'bird; Maltz wasn't sure what kind of bird this wasDodo bird (cha' is 2, so 2 Do's is Dodo?)
cha'qu'bird; a bird noted for its song;Cuckoo bird?
cha'parbird; a bird noted for its song;
cha'naSbird; a small bird which digs up bugs to eat
borghelbird; a very small bird whose eggs are considered quite tasty;

There.  Now it's a bit more readable.
[ ED- There now it's even MORE readible!  Also corrected some mispellings and added // comment-  Klythe- 10/09/29]
« Last Edit: 09 29, 2010, 03:09: PM by Klythe » Logged
J'Maq
Senior Courier

« Reply #6 on: 01 16, 2006, 10:18: PM »

Illustrations would be nice. It would take quite the imagination to bring all of these creatures alive.

J'Maq, son of Maal
Member of House Reshtarc
Klingon Archivist
"The character of a Klingon warrior is measured not only by the metal of his blade--but also by the mettle of his heart."
KAllen

« Reply #7 on: 01 17, 2006, 09:07: AM »

Apparently the homeworld is...for the birds!!!

Maybe Alfred Hitchcock was from Kronos!!!

Lt.Col. K'Allen sutai-bortaS
Marine Commander aboard the IKV Bayou Serpent
Member of the IKV Bayou Serpent
House Cha'diCH to the House of bortaS
Klythe
Administrator
Thought Master

« Reply #8 on: 01 17, 2006, 04:29: PM »

I don't think you will want to see what pictures are available for some these creatures.  Not quite so much imagination went into them...  For example the Really large bird is called a qa'rol after Carroll Spinney.

But you are exactly right, J'maq, it takes a lot of imagination to bring words and new ideas to life.  More imagination than Okrand or the TV script writers were willing or able to muster.   Let's see if we can do better.  Is there one particular critter you'd most like to see expounded on?   Maybe we can work together to brainstorm until we come up with some new speculation of the details.  Start up a new thread in the biology section.  I have the start of a list of some good questions to get us started.

I would suggest a more easily recognisable one, like the Saber Bears, Grishnar or Tika Cats.

PS.    Memory Alpha has a few more canonical Klingon Animals in it's database that have not been mentioned here yet.  I'd take some of the names with a grain of salt.  For example, Kruge's pet Warrigul is filed under "Klingon Monster Dog".
« Last Edit: 01 17, 2006, 07:08: PM by Kesvirit » Logged
El Payaso Malo
Lettered Veteran

jaS jIvang-ghopwIj luQIHlu'chugh qIvonlIj vIpuplaH

« Reply #9 on: 11 24, 2009, 12:21: PM »

It is actually spelled as qaryoq and qaryoq'a' respectively, and is a pun on the word "karaoke."

-'IwwIjDaq 'oH veS.
-ngoQ ghajnISbe' vIq. vIq ngoQ 'oH vIq. qatlh ngej rop'a' bIghelbe' 'ej qatlh meQ yotlh bIghelbe'. jISuvDI' meqwIj vIQIj 'e' DaghelQo'.
-qul ngaDHa' 'oH QeHwIj 'ej vaHbo' pubbogh 'Iw 'oH QeHwIj. choHIvmo' qaSuvbe'. bIyIntaHmo' qaSuv.
Qunchuy
Lettered Veteran

« Reply #10 on: 11 28, 2009, 10:11: PM »

It is actually spelled as qaryoq and qaryoq'a' respectively, and is a pun on the word "karaoke."

I always thought it was more likely to be a reference to the parrot "José Carioca", a Disney character.
El Payaso Malo
Lettered Veteran

« Reply #11 on: 11 29, 2009, 12:43: AM »

I always thought it was more likely to be a reference to the parrot "José Carioca", a Disney character.

That could be a possibility, but I don't remember this character as being known for imitating things, which is the defining characteristic of these birds and exactly what someone partaking in karaoke would be doing. Both could certainly have been intended, but I just feel that the former is more likely.

-'IwwIjDaq 'oH veS.
-ngoQ ghajnISbe' vIq. vIq ngoQ 'oH vIq. qatlh ngej rop'a' bIghelbe' 'ej qatlh meQ yotlh bIghelbe'. jISuvDI' meqwIj vIQIj 'e' DaghelQo'.
-qul ngaDHa' 'oH QeHwIj 'ej vaHbo' pubbogh 'Iw 'oH QeHwIj. choHIvmo' qaSuvbe'. bIyIntaHmo' qaSuv.
QoghtlhIH'u'
Old Guard
Lettered Veteran

qaStaH nuq? toqDuj vImojchoH?

« Reply #12 on: 12 01, 2009, 03:24: AM »

Like Qunchuy I also stated elsewhere on this forum that qaryoq'a' is  a pun on Jose Carioca because it is a parrot, a bird mimicking speech.
The point is not that Carioca does or does not mimick others, but that he is a parrot.
And ofcourse, Carioca is much more like qaryoq'a' then karaoke.
El Payaso Malo
Lettered Veteran

« Reply #13 on: 09 18, 2010, 11:18: PM »

PS.    Memory Alpha has a few more canonical Klingon Animals in it's database that have not been mentioned here yet.  I'd take some of the names with a grain of salt.  For example, Kruge's pet Warrigul is filed under "Klingon Monster Dog".

They also don't call it Warrigul, because in the film and script, the creature was nameless. That's the name given to it in the book, yes?
« Last Edit: 09 22, 2010, 12:55: AM by El Payaso Malo » Logged

-'IwwIjDaq 'oH veS.
qurgh_

« Reply #14 on: 09 22, 2010, 11:01: AM »

The problem with describing animals from another planet is that they may have no Earth equivalent(s), so without seeing the creature you can't describe it easily or accurately.

Try describing a snake to someone who has never seen any kind of reptiles or other scaled creature.
Try describing a duck billed platypus to someone who has never seen a duck or any small furry mammals.

You can't do these things in the space in a dictionary. All you can give is vague descriptions that really don't capture the creature. This is why biology books have pictures.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: