Klingon Imperial Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
04 20, 2018, 04:30: AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Realtime chats are now following a freeform schedule.  If you would like to chat with you fellows please see the It's Talk Time thread for more info or to schedule a chat.
11897 Posts in 1665 Topics by 692 Members
Latest Member: smithassignment1
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  Klingon Imperial Forums
|-+  Klingon Language & Culture
| |-+  Klingon Ceremonies, Rituals & Traditions
| | |-+  Ceremonies & Traditions: General Questions & Discussion
| | | |-+  Day of Honor
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Day of Honor  (Read 14615 times)
kratnor
Scribe

« on: 10 09, 2003, 06:07: AM »

posted on 6-30-2002 at 02:22 AM

Day of Honor

In the realm of klingon ritual the Day of Honor is the only one I have formally observed. It was taught to me as a day to remember and salute one's honorable opponents and to remember the lines honorable dead. It is my choice to make it a noontime ritual expanded on the daily Plea for the Dead. Day of Honor includes other traditions too, but unfortunately I have not engaged in ritual combat on that day in years. Perhaps I have mellowed with the years. NOT!
I will recount this ritual here and I look forward to reading other warriors accounts.
Qapla'!
kra'tnor tai-Veska
weslipuqlod
Weaponsmith
Senior Courier

« Reply #1 on: 10 09, 2003, 06:10: AM »

posted on 7-28-2002 at 03:57 PM

batlhjaj ceremonies

I am interested in the various batlhjaj (Day of Honor) ceremonies that are currently practiced.

Who does what, what has it been derived from (supporting canon, myth, etc...), and what affiliations is it supported by(KIDC, KAG, etc...)?

t'raQ weSlI' puqloD

kratnor
Scribe

« Reply #2 on: 10 09, 2003, 06:14: AM »

posted on 2-23-2003 at 01:57 PM

Day of Honor

The batlh jaj corresponds closest to the March 23rd date on the terran calendar. The ceremony performed, if any, varies from House to House. It is from my understanding , a day to remember and honor ones enemies, those sent to Sto Vo Kor and to honor the glories of dead comrades. It is also a tradition that on batlh jaj no challenge, Suv batlh, can be refused. So, usually it is a day of feasting, drinking and fighting around the fire, with at least one solemn song about one's enemies. I like to pound on some loud metal instrument while I sing.

Kesvirit
Her Nibbs
Administrator
Thought Master

That which does not kill me, must have missed me.

« Reply #3 on: 10 09, 2003, 06:16: AM »

posted on 2-24-2003 at 05:28 AM

Why March 23? Is this to correspond with the Terran equinox?

Richard the Sound Guy: "And the next person to lecture me about canon risks getting shot out of one! Right, gaffers?"
Gaffers make appreciative and supportive remarks in the form of bad imitations of primate calls from the direction of the lighting grids.
weslipuqlod
Weaponsmith
Senior Courier

« Reply #4 on: 10 09, 2003, 06:18: AM »

posted on 3-1-2003 at 09:58 PM

March 23, 1967 was the premiere of Star Trek episode #27, Errand of Mercy, introducing the planet Earth to the Klingon Empire for the first time.

I do not know who first credited the Day of Honor with this date, I learned of it in 1998, but it has become widely accepted among fans.
kratnor
Scribe

« Reply #5 on: 10 09, 2003, 06:20: AM »

posted on 3-9-2003 at 04:05 AM

Day of Honor

Indeed, batlh jaj has been aligned with TOS first contact with Klingons. But I personally would prefer to see it linked to a planetary event such as the equinox. That would perhaps give each klingon world it's own properly placed day. But it would completely screw up the crews on ships in space. L.A. Graf's book 'Armageddon Sky' has Kor recognizing a specific date for the batlh jaj while in space, so, if we're tied to preestablished 'canon' I guess we're stuck with that date. Va! One day's as good as the next.
qoSagh
Warrior Bard of the Ontological
Thought Master

« Reply #6 on: 03 10, 2004, 05:12: PM »

I have been working on a Klingon Calendar for some time now off and on. Odly enough I had selected March 23 as New Years day for the same reason before comming accross the common fandom usage. This now seems even more relevant because the year would start on the Day of Honor, kind of neat, I think.

qoSagh qlIStIy
meycha of the qaptaQ
Prothonotary of the Desert Rite

qoSagh qlIStIy
meycha of the qaptaQ www.qaptaQ.org
"I would kill the children of a thousand planets, just to see you smile."
SoplaHtaHwI'
Senior Strategist

yuchvaD vIqvaD je jIyIn

« Reply #7 on: 12 05, 2004, 03:04: PM »

A question about this calendar:

Is it finished? Or in a stage that it can be shared? Would it be possible  to get it endorsed as the official (KIDC, not Paramount) Klingon Kalendar?

A view of most if not all important Klingon dates would be wonderful...

qa'pIn [SoplaHtaHwI'] qI'meQ vIghro''a'
yuch betleH 'obe' la'quv
Khemorex-Klinzhai member, IKEF member
Dishonored Captain of the former spacecraft qaDwI' Doq
qoSagh
Warrior Bard of the Ontological
Thought Master

« Reply #8 on: 12 05, 2004, 11:31: PM »

No it is not finished, And sharing it is difficult because most of it is hand written notes, being largely worked on hen I was between computers. I have begun to put it into a computerized format, but it is not finished yet.

I had developed a system of designating holidays (Days of Honor) with each month begining on a holiday except for one. The holidays were based on a system that I had developed but that keeps growing, so now I have more holidays than originally thouhgt (which has made it hard to compute months) so I have to designate some as major holidays and some as minor holidays. My holiday method also ended up with some days having multiple holidays on them, which I don't have a big problem with but it means I have to list both titles on the day.

As for my calendar being "offical", of course we know that paramount will not designate any fan work as such. As for fan groups such as KIDC, since I am not a member and the group leaders have never seen the work, I would say that is premature at least. Once it is done, any group that wanted to could declare it official if they wanted to. I would of course take that as the complimet it would be. If we do not share our fan produced works with each other then they will die in obscurity.

qoSagh qlIStIy
meycha of the qaptaQ www.qaptaQ.org
"I would kill the children of a thousand planets, just to see you smile."
Tonkie
« Reply #9 on: 12 06, 2004, 01:16: PM »

The last time I observed my Day of Honor was two years ago in earth year 2002. We had a feast of a feast which was nice. It contained much meat. I enjoyed it very much. The family was all around... and we ate my brother. hahaha.
SoplaHtaHwI'
Senior Strategist

yuchvaD vIqvaD je jIyIn

« Reply #10 on: 12 06, 2004, 06:55: PM »

The last time I observed my Day of Honor was two years ago in earth year 2002. We had a feast of a feast which was nice. It contained much meat. I enjoyed it very much. The family was all around... and we ate my brother. hahaha.
Do you finally grok your brother now?

yuch betleH 'obe' la'quv
K'Gor tai Reshtarc
Scribe

« Reply #11 on: 01 02, 2006, 06:14: PM »

I am researching "Days of Honor"

http://www.kag.org/events/doh1.htm

What I propose is to make this a working Klingon Holiday. If you have any information, please pass it along here!
Klythe
ngem Sargh lIghwI' pagh cha'
Administrator
Thought Master

When a show of teeth doesn't work, bite deeply.

« Reply #12 on: 07 07, 2006, 06:56: PM »

I'd like to point out that these boards have their own calendar system that lets you create a holiday on a given date and link it to a thread describing the event that is to occur on that date, be it a holiday or a convention or other Klingon event.  Once you get your notes together, if you post them to the forums you'll know where they are and always be able to access them whenever you are online.  Plus you get to share them with the rest of us. Cheesy Klingon Grin

SoplaHtaHwI'
Senior Strategist

yuchvaD vIqvaD je jIyIn

« Reply #13 on: 07 07, 2006, 07:27: PM »

I'd like to point out that these boards have their own calendar system that lets you create a holiday on a given date and link it to a thread describing the event that is to occur on that date, be it a holiday or a convention or other Klingon event.  Once you get your notes together, if you post them to the forums you'll know where they are and always be able to access them whenever you are online.  Plus you get to share them with the rest of us. Cheesy Klingon Grin
I've tried to press this button, but have not been able to work it out...
Do you first create a thread and then link it to the calendar, or t'other way 'round?

You aren't allowed to modify just any post.

yuch betleH 'obe' la'quv
Klythe
ngem Sargh lIghwI' pagh cha'
Administrator
Thought Master

When a show of teeth doesn't work, bite deeply.

« Reply #14 on: 07 07, 2006, 10:09: PM »

When you create an event it will create a topic that is linked to the event.   If it's not working for you, I'll have to doublecheck the permissions settings.  You should have more than enough perms to create a calendar event.
Kaptain WanraK
Scribe

« Reply #15 on: 08 16, 2006, 08:12: AM »

We celebrate Day of Honor with as many ships in our area that are available for the Event.
There is much Feasting, Drinking, and Singing. There is plenty of Glory Stories (...story telling) with plenty of Bloodwine.

We remember those that have come before us, and Honor those that are with us.

At our celebration, we recognise those that have earned a Promotion or Acheivement and award them accordingly. Announcements and upcoming news are given.
We have an "opportunity drawing" (charity raffle) with all proceeds benifiting the local Make a Wish Foundation. The items offered are donated from our generous members, friends, and attendees.

We are open to anyone....Klingon, Starfleet, others. Everyone must RSVP stating they will pay a small fee or bring an approved dish.

It has beeen a GLORIUOS TIME shared by all whom have attended.

Lt. Cmdr. WanraK sutai-Veska
Kaptain IKV Sons of Honor
StarFire Region - Ring Of Fire Fleet
Berzerker
Scribe

« Reply #16 on: 01 08, 2009, 08:39: AM »

My Birthday falls on the Day after the Day of Honor so it makes for 2 very fun days in succession  Smiley

Berz out.
mel bobpuqloD
Newcomer

« Reply #17 on: 03 23, 2009, 07:10: AM »

In my house, we feast on ter'aqngan equivalents of tlhIngan Soj. We have, in prior years, made an egg noodle that's very gritty and salty to simulate ghargh. We've also bottled our own ghe'vI' in which to dip the ghargh. We drink the 'Iw HIq (from a recipe by my maqoch) We remember our honoured dead and our most worthy jaghpu'. We plumb our own honour to see if we're worthy of the status SuvwI'  We play mo'lor vaS'a' and qeylIS minDu' and we sing taHjaj wo' and a few other may' bom  We celebrate  tlhIngan maH
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: