Klingon Imperial Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
12 12, 2017, 06:37: AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
The boards are having problems with email. We are advising members to set your secret questions and answers in case the board can't send email to let you reset lost passwords.
11894 Posts in 1664 Topics by 689 Members
Latest Member: regdun234
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  Klingon Imperial Forums
|-+  Klingon Language & Culture
| |-+  Klingon Ceremonies, Rituals & Traditions
| | |-+  Ceremonies & Traditions: General Questions & Discussion
| | | |-+  Klingon monoculture?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Klingon monoculture?  (Read 8690 times)
wyrdR
Scribe

« on: 12 28, 2005, 05:16: AM »

In the Star Trek TV shows and movies, the Humans are depicted as having maintained a wide range of various traditions, cultures, religions, languages etc. while the Klingons seem to possess but a single culture.

Is this a true reflection of the Klingon culture?  Or are there hidden pockets of vastly different Klingon sub-cultures?

Can anyone point to some examples/explanations I may have missed?

TA!
Abbot Nej vIt
Highly Opinionated Klingon
Thought Master

"I Will Take the Conquerer Ceasers Salad... Now!"

« Reply #1 on: 12 29, 2005, 10:57: AM »

Well One Big Difference Seems to Be that Klingons Had the Luxury of Being "United" at a Much Younger (Cultural) Age, Bringing the Apparently Extremely Disharmonious and Fractured Smaller Klingon States (And Perhaps Sub-cultures) under One Banner. Further Unlike the Alledged Precepts of Federation Culture Which is to Homogenize Many Cultures, The Klingon Empire is Just that. A Self Acknowledged Empire Which Subjugates it's Partners Where Possible. (The Federation Does this as Well, but is Less Honest about it of Course)...

At Any Rate One of the Key Ideals within the Klingon Empire is that Every Citizen is Expected to Put the Empire, And its Wellbeing First... This allows For a more Globally Identifyable Culture, Though Sub-cultures do Exist, And the Traditions of Particularly Powerfull Houses, or Provinces Would Still "Regionalize" certain things, When an Entire People Share a Fairly Specific "Common Goal" (The Klingon Empires Manifest Destiny), I Think that it is a lot Easier to Share a Common Culture as well...

Now Speaking "Philosophically", Star Trek has Been a Story Told in Various "Chapters" (Read Individual Series and Films), from a Very Federation-centric Perspective, Where the Klingons Were Originally "Just One of the Galactic Bad-guy" Species at Large... And it is Easy to "Ignore" the Larger more Complex Picture of Any Culture When Such Minor Emphasis is Placed upon it...

These are of Course Merely "My" Opinions, And I Would Certainly Enjoy Hearing Some Others...

Archbishop Nej vIt SutaI-H'Nter,
Spiritual Advisor to K.L.A.W. 4th Fleet,
Abbot, Dugh toy'wI' Library
qoSagh
Warrior Bard of the Ontological
Thought Master

« Reply #2 on: 12 29, 2005, 08:57: PM »

While anything from paracanon has usually been sanitized for your protection, Pawns & Symbols showed us at least one different tradition of Klingon females wearing veils. The books in the Errand of Vengeance series showed a planet of independent but primitive Klingons. Worf was all set to recite his vows in a sweaty holodeck with Keyhler (sp?) yet when he married Dax, there was a lavish ceremony, leading me to think there are at least two different cultures at work here.

qoSagh qlIStIy
meycha of the qaptaQ www.qaptaQ.org
Prothonotary of the Desert Rite
"I would kill the children of a thousand planets, just to see you smile."
wyrdR
Scribe

« Reply #3 on: 12 29, 2005, 09:39: PM »

While anything from paracanon has usually been sanitized for your protection, Pawns & Symbols showed us at least one different tradition of Klingon females wearing veils. The books in the Errand of Vengeance series showed a planet of independent but primitive Klingons. Worf was all set to recite his vows in a sweaty holodeck with Keyhler (sp?) yet when he married Dax, there was a lavish ceremony, leading me to think there are at least two different cultures at work here.

Yes.  I do not think that what I have seen has been a true reflexion of the reality of Klingon culture.

Is there any literature that depicts more than the snippets shown so-far on the screen?
Abbot Nej vIt
Thought Master

« Reply #4 on: 12 29, 2005, 10:44: PM »

Well Of Course My First Suggestion is To Read 'The Final Reflection' by John M. Ford... THough Non of it is Canon, There is a lot of Good Stuff there, and Many Klingon Fan Clubs Draw from the work in One way or another... Of Course it is Set in Primarily the Pre-TOS Era, So Little of it Would be Very Applicable to "Modern" (Read Canon) Klingons...

HoS'etlh
Imperial Klingon Overseer, KIDC
KIDC Member
Courier

« Reply #5 on: 12 30, 2005, 02:02: AM »

Of course at the time he proposed to Keyhler, he was a no-name Klingon serving in Starfleet. When he proposed to Dax, he was a member of the House of Martok. Perhaps being a member of an important house required different traditions to be followed.

Also, perhaps Worf and Keyhler were performing a "battlefield" marriage ceremony when they were aboard the Enterprise.

HoS'etlh qultIq Tai Kasara  http://hosetlh.blogspot.com
Imperial Klingon Overseer - KIDC
Head of Security, IKRV Hurgh HaP - Ring of Fire Fleet
1st Officer, IDS CyberBlade - The Empire
Abbot Nej vIt
Thought Master

« Reply #6 on: 12 30, 2005, 05:36: PM »

HoS'etlh,

Ahhh... Now that is a Very Interesting Point, that There might be Different Conventions for Different "Stations" within Klingon Hierarchies...

It might be Worth Discussing also that at the Time that Worf and Keyhler had their Trist, Worf was Still Pretty Ignorant (Or Apparently) to Actual Klingon Culture, So He May have Been Invoking Some More "Ancient" Possesive Rite of Claim to her... Keyhler certainly seemed to think that Worf was Being a Bit "Dramatic"...

We Also Saw another Variation to the Wedding/Bonding Theme In the DS9 Ep. 'House of Quark'... Where there was a "Legal" Implication to the Marriage... So Perhaps there are Different Types of Rituals For Different Intended Outcomes as Well...

wyrdR
Scribe

« Reply #7 on: 12 31, 2005, 06:25: AM »

So, my eyes are opened to the nuances that exists in the Star Trek canon.  There are slight variations.

Still, it is a relative monoculture we see, possibly due to the Federation-centric views of Star Trek.  If only they'd make a series set in the Empire... or an Epic film on Klingon history.  What's Klingon for 'Braveheart'?  Grin

Kehlan
Senior Strategist

« Reply #8 on: 04 27, 2006, 09:42: PM »

I think that scares me a bit - the thought of the Federation making a film about Klingon history.  I dread to think what they would do with it.

Having said that, what a pity we will never get to see Battle Cruiser Vengeance -  "I am Captain Koth, Koth of the Vengeance and this ship is my prize"  It would be glorious!

Kehlan

Captain Kehlan
USS Endeavour NCC-71805
Federation/Klingon Rapid Response Fleet
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: