Klingon Imperial Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
12 13, 2017, 01:26: AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Thu 26Jul2012:
     Due to security issues file attchments are disabled for the time being.  We are invenvestigating the impact to the board and working to ensure our forums are clean and trustworthy.   In the mean time you can email your attachments to Kesvirit and/or Klythe along with which message you want them attached to and we will add them.

11894 Posts in 1664 Topics by 689 Members
Latest Member: regdun234
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  Klingon Imperial Forums
|-+  Forum Etiquette, News & Announcements
| |-+  Forum News & Announcements
| | |-+  New Posting Permissions
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: New Posting Permissions  (Read 43655 times)
Kesvirit
Her Nibbs
Administrator
Thought Master

That which does not kill me, must have missed me.

« on: 03 04, 2008, 07:00: AM »

A few days ago I suited up, notified my next of kin, grabbed my club with the nails sticking out, and set to standardizing and expanding posting permissions. The most notable changes are in the areas of avatar use and posting attachments. Be aware that the Forums must share bandwidth and storage space with a number of different domains on the same server package, and resources must be allotted accordingly. If there is a spike in bandwith I may need to make some changes.

To post a file attachment, first enter the text part of your post. Go through the preview, etc. until you are satisfied with it. Once you are ready to post your message, click on the link below the text entry area marked “Additional Options...”. You should see the word Attach, followed by a text entry bar, followed by a button marked Browse... Click on Browse  until you find the file you want to attach. Exactly how this works may vary with your platform/OS. Once you click on the file you want, click on the “Open” option. The file name should appear in the text entry bar. Then hit the “Post” button. Your post should show up as usual with your file attached at the bottom. Photos show up on the boards as thumbnails; click on them to see them in their original size.

If you need help, contact Klythe. He is far more familiar with the specifics of different OSs than I am.

Those with the ranks of Klingon Conversationalist and above who are not already doing so may use avatars. All avatars must conform to the rules set forth in the long-abandoned Klingon Avatar Design Challenge. All images must be:
 - Klingon related
 - safe for general viewing
 - 100 x 100 pixels
 - a maximum of 50k in size
 - JPG format

To add one, hit your Profile button. Once at your Profile page, you should see a block of options in the left column divided into Profile Info, Modify Profile, and Actions.  Under Modify Profile, hit Forum Profile Information. That should take you to your avatar controls (this system calls avatars “Personalized Pictures”).

If you have an image you wish to use that does not conform to the above specifications and you cannot resize it, contact me or Klythe. Between us we should be able to resize it for you. Do not use Lady K'Zin's official portrait, Klythe's targh, or Kesvirit's pet Fluffy.

Those of the rank of Scribe (15 posts) and above can now post one attached file per post anywhere in the Forums. File types allowed are txt, pdf, gif, jpg, and jpeg, all with a maximum size of 50Kb.  If you have not yet reached Scribe status, email any files you want posted to me at | kesvirit at klingon dot org | and I will attach them to the desired posts.

Do not double/multiple post so that you can add more pictures to the boards.  Pick the best or most relevant one to post. If you have a large number of photos you want to share, perhaps relating to an event or project, consider posting your photos at a free hosting site such as Photobucket or ImageShack and linking to them from here.

Addendum:   The second option of using a file hosting service is probably safer in terms of saving your images.  When the system crashed in 2005, the Forums' database remained intact, and we were able to easily able to install it into its new software slot in the server package.  But the attachments, which were not part of the SQL database, were just attachments.  Hangers on, if you will.  They were lost into the electronic void.

Also, I’d like to remind everyone that they can request an email notification when a new reply is added to a given thread by using the “Notify” button at the top of the thread. The same goes for the different Forum sections. Both of these are akin to “subscribing” to the thread/section in question. They are useful because replies to a given thread can trickle in over time, and a question you posted may get an answer months later. Make sure to keep the email address in your profile current.
« Last Edit: 04 18, 2010, 05:19: PM by Kesvirit » Logged

Richard the Sound Guy: "And the next person to lecture me about canon risks getting shot out of one! Right, gaffers?"
Gaffers make appreciative and supportive remarks in the form of bad imitations of primate calls from the direction of the lighting grids.
ter'eS
Discoursing Diplomat

« Reply #1 on: 03 05, 2008, 12:54: AM »

Wow, thanks so much for this! Especially the ability to use an avatar.  At the rate I was going, I was never going to make 300 posts.
Kesvirit
Her Nibbs
Administrator
Thought Master

« Reply #2 on: 03 05, 2008, 08:24: AM »

*gut laugh*  Nice to see you making such good use of your new avatar status! To attempt the vernacular of the period, “Sweet, dude!”  }}: D  Is this a true likeness, or did the artist take liberties to present you in a particular light?

-=- Kesvirit

Addendum -- You know how some people say that pets and their owners grow more and more alike over time?

<-----  It's true.
« Last Edit: 03 05, 2008, 10:50: AM by Kesvirit » Logged

Richard the Sound Guy: "And the next person to lecture me about canon risks getting shot out of one! Right, gaffers?"
Gaffers make appreciative and supportive remarks in the form of bad imitations of primate calls from the direction of the lighting grids.
ter'eS
Discoursing Diplomat

« Reply #3 on: 03 05, 2008, 03:58: PM »

Well, I don't really have a bumpy forehead, but otherwise I think you'd be able to recognize me from the av.  I started with a "You as a South Park character" picture, and then modified it.
Berzerker
Scribe

« Reply #4 on: 01 14, 2009, 06:10: AM »

How many posts are required to make an avatar? I have a picture of myself in Mild Klingon wear that I would like to use.

Berz out.
Kesvirit
Her Nibbs
Administrator
Thought Master

« Reply #5 on: 01 16, 2009, 07:40: AM »

The short answer (note the time and date, because it’s one of the few you will ever see from me }}: P) is 100. Those who pad their post counts are subject to a tongue bath from Fluffy. Given the rasps on its tongue and the solvents in its saliva, I recommend against doing so.

A graduated increase in posting permissions is one of the few incentives and rewards we have to offer our posters. Other major kellicam markers include: Novices (5 posts and up) may use sigs, Couriers at 25 posts can post attachments, and Thought Masters at 600 posts may add their own custom titles.

-=- Kesvirit

<------ Fluffy

Berzerker
Scribe

« Reply #6 on: 01 16, 2009, 08:07: AM »

I am not one to pad post counts I always try and put some thought into my posting besides... fluffy is a good enough incentive for me!

Berz out.
a'Noi N'gurl
Newcomer

« Reply #7 on: 01 13, 2012, 07:55: PM »

A graduated increase in posting permissions is one of the few incentives and rewards we have to offer our posters. Other major kellicam markers include: Novices (5 posts and up) may use sigs, Couriers at 25 posts can post attachments, Conversationalists at 100 can have an avatar, and Thought Masters at 600 posts may add their own custom titles.

-=- Kesvirit
I have just spent over an hour researching where to add a signature, where to add an avatar, and how to update other settings in my profile.  I wish I had known that they depended on my level of participation in the group.

I would like to suggest that this information be part of the Rules and Regulations required reading. 

Respectfully,
a'Noi N'gurl aka QuarksBarb 

Kesvirit
Her Nibbs
Administrator
Thought Master

« Reply #8 on: 01 16, 2012, 06:33: PM »

Hello, a'Noi N'gurl, and welcome to the Forums!

A new member must have made five posts before they can add a signature.

I have unexpectedly been in transit for several days and am only now reading your posts. When I return to the Consulate, I will post the entire permissions table to this thread and directions on how to use them.

-=- Kesvirit

qoSagh
Warrior Bard of the Ontological
Thought Master

« Reply #9 on: 01 17, 2012, 06:16: AM »

Welcome to these forums. You are at 2 posts already. I am sure you can find 3 other things to comment on here.

I think you will find these forums a bit more academic (in a good way) than some other forums, including a nice section on food and drink.

Come breath some life into some of the old topics, or start some of your own.

qoSagh qlIStIy
meycha of the qaptaQ www.qaptaQ.org
Prothonotary of the Desert Rite
"I would kill the children of a thousand planets, just to see you smile."
Kehlan
Senior Strategist

« Reply #10 on: 01 17, 2012, 08:04: AM »

you know, it might be a good idea to put it into the required reading when you sign up... I'm noting another new member wanting to know how to do a signature... it seems to be quite a common question.

Captain Kehlan
USS Endeavour NCC-71805
Federation/Klingon Rapid Response Fleet
a'Noi N'gurl
Newcomer

« Reply #11 on: 01 19, 2012, 01:44: AM »

Welcome to these forums. You are at 2 posts already. I am sure you can find 3 other things to comment on here.

I think you will find these forums a bit more academic (in a good way) than some other forums, including a nice section on food and drink.

Come breath some life into some of the old topics, or start some of your own.
Hail, qoSagh, I thought I recognized the name.  And you must have recognized mine because you pointed me towards the forums I am most interested in. 

Yes, I will head over there and add my two quatloos.

Kesvirit, thank you for the welcome. I'm glad to be here.
Kesvirit
Her Nibbs
Administrator
Thought Master

« Reply #12 on: 01 25, 2012, 07:14: AM »

(This was much more complicated than I had anticipated. The BBCode had to be… persuaded… to co-operate. The weather did not help either.)

Presenting: The Klingon Imperial Forums Posting Permissions

RankPosts requiredNew permissions
One Post Wonderone postView who is online
Novicefive postsAdd/edit signature; post polls; add polls to your own topics; view stats and member lists
Scribe15 postsView other members's profiles
Courier25 postsPost attachments (everyone below the rank of Courier needs to do this through an Admin)
Senior Courier50 postsEdit your own polls
Klingon Conversationalist 100 postsUse avatar
Lettered Veteran200 postsBragging rights
Discoursing Diplomat300 postsBragging rights
Word Warrior400 postsBragging rights
Senior Strategist500 postsBragging rights
Thought Master600 postsAdd polls to any topics; edit your own custom title

To get to your settings controls, click on the "Profile" button in the row of blue buttons below the Search function line. Once you have done so, go to the controls block below the row of blue buttons mentioned above. In the "Modify Profile" section, click on "Forum Profile Information." The Signature text entry field is the second section from the bottom. If you need help, PM or email me or Klythe. (Klythe is your best prospect -- he does this sort of thing for a living and is much better at explaining it.)

As per Kehlan's excellent suggestion, I will add a link to this post from the Rules and Regs page for those who wish to refer to it.

[Edit -- Corrected multiple typos. -=- Kesvirit]
« Last Edit: 01 28, 2012, 01:27: AM by Kesvirit » Logged

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: