Klingon Imperial Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
12 11, 2017, 05:09: PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Realtime chats are now following a freeform schedule.  If you would like to chat with you fellows please see the It's Talk Time thread for more info or to schedule a chat.
11894 Posts in 1664 Topics by 689 Members
Latest Member: regdun234
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  Klingon Imperial Forums
|-+  Forum Etiquette, News & Announcements
| |-+  Forum News & Announcements
| | |-+  Forum member ranks
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Forum member ranks  (Read 22608 times)
Ambassador Lady K'Zin
Forum Founder
Administrator
Klingon Conversationalist

Always trust your instincts!

« on: 12 16, 2005, 06:58: AM »

Greetings,

As some of you may be wondering, these forums do have a system of "ranks" that are earned by posting and replying on the forum. Here is the current system, however, we reserve the right to modify it as needed in the future. Certain ranks can earn forums members certain privileges; for example, only Scribes and above are able to view other member profiles.

0 posts ------------------------- Visitor
1 post -------------------------- One Post Wonder
2 posts ------------------------- Newcomer
5 posts ------------------------- Novice
15 posts ----------------------- Scribe
25 posts ----------------------- Courier
50 posts ----------------------- Senior Courier
100 posts --------------------- Klingon Conversationalist
200 posts --------------------- Lettered Veteran
300 posts --------------------- Discoursing Diplomat
400 posts --------------------- Word Warrior
500 posts --------------------- Senior Strategist
600 posts --------------------- Thought Captain
1000 posts ------------------- Thought Master

[ Update: There is also a secret unpublished rank you may find amusing, see if you can find what it is...  -Klythe]

We do NOT look kindly upon those members who repeatedly post various "non-contributing" messages or replies in an obvious attempt to boost their ranking. The "Me too" type posts would be an example of this. Therefore, we reserve the right to modify a forum members posting count, if they are caught in repeated attempts of such a dishonourable form of posting behaviour...

« Last Edit: 09 28, 2014, 11:31: PM by Klythe » Logged

~ Ambassador Lady K'Zin

Administrator,
Klingon Imperial Forums, KIDC
Abbot Nej vIt
Highly Opinionated Klingon
Thought Master

"I Will Take the Conquerer Ceasers Salad... Now!"

« Reply #1 on: 12 16, 2005, 07:22: AM »

Lady K'Zin,

Thank You For Posting the Formula, I was In Fact a Bit "Curious" about this... Especially in Light of the Recent Question Posed by One of the Members about Viewing Profiles...

Out of Curiosity Lady Ambassador, Are there "Other" Secret Privliges Waiting to Be Discovered?

Archbishop Nej vIt SutaI-H'Nter,
Spiritual Advisor to K.L.A.W. 4th Fleet,
Abbot, Dugh toy'wI' Library
qoSagh
Warrior Bard of the Ontological
Thought Master

« Reply #2 on: 12 17, 2005, 04:27: AM »

I must say I the title One Post Wonder is great. Not only is it funny because it is true but it will also separate those who are barely more than lurkers with those novices who may be starting on their way to Thought Master.

qoSagh qlIStIy
meycha of the qaptaQ www.qaptaQ.org
Prothonotary of the Desert Rite
"I would kill the children of a thousand planets, just to see you smile."
Kesvirit
Her Nibbs
Administrator
Thought Master

That which does not kill me, must have missed me.

« Reply #3 on: 12 17, 2005, 06:13: AM »

*laughs* That was Klythe’s idea, and the point of creating such a rank -- to give new posters incentive to keep posting in order to get away from it. Previous incarnations of the Forums included Tribble and Feddie Scum as lower rank titles for the same reason.

Richard the Sound Guy: "And the next person to lecture me about canon risks getting shot out of one! Right, gaffers?"
Gaffers make appreciative and supportive remarks in the form of bad imitations of primate calls from the direction of the lighting grids.
Abbot Nej vIt
Thought Master

« Reply #4 on: 12 17, 2005, 09:33: AM »

...<Chuckle>... When I Found this Site I went Post Happy, Because there were so many great Topics to Discuss... (Read as "Espouse" my Opinion on...<Grin>...), And Since I Do not really pay much Attention to Post Rankings, I Never Even Noticed my Own One Post Wonder Distinction...<Snort>...

But it is a Pretty Good One...

qoSagh
Thought Master

« Reply #5 on: 12 18, 2005, 11:12: AM »

You are not the only one who went Post Happy, but you did beat my one day record. Which brigs up the question, if we found so much to comment on in the first day, why there are so many OPW's and Novices at all? Are folks like us just too darn opinionated?

qoSagh qlIStIy
Abbot Nej vIt
Thought Master

« Reply #6 on: 12 18, 2005, 05:57: PM »

You are not the only one who went Post Happy, but you did beat my one day record. Which brigs up the question, if we found so much to comment on in the first day, why there are so many OPW's and Novices at all? Are folks like us just too darn opinionated?

I Recall Receiving a PM from You the First day I Posted, Commenting on the 1st Day Totals...<Grin>...

Hmmm? Opinionated?... Why, Yes, Yes I Believe that is Likely....<Snicker>...

I Dunno' about the Rest of the Folks here, but When Things Do Get Hopping, they Can be Very Interesting, Sometimes Educational, and almost Always Entertaining...

Klythe
ngem Sargh lIghwI' pagh cha'
Administrator
Thought Master

When a show of teeth doesn't work, bite deeply.

« Reply #7 on: 12 19, 2005, 09:08: AM »

Actually, I just put the One Post Wonder rank in not too long ago, definately after the new software.  So, the Abbot has never been a One Post Wonder.  I don't remember how many of my posts survived the database crash and the subsequent attack of the hungry spiderbots that ate away at the google cache after the first KIF boards crashed.  with the first boards I had a permanant rank of "Forum Beta Tester".   By the time the custom rank system went into place, I was at least a Klingon Conversationalist, probably a Lettered Veteren...   So yeah, I skipped all the one word rank titles.

Right now, each rank should grant you something new, though what it is might not be all that interesting or important.   We are still tweaking the permissions to see which features are too important to withold for too long, and which need to be limited for bandwidth or security reasons.  Because of this we aren't publishing what privileges are awarded at which ranks, but you can see what privleges you do have by looking in your profile.
Kehlan
Senior Strategist

« Reply #8 on: 05 06, 2006, 03:05: PM »

You are not the only one who went Post Happy,
No, I think I went pretty mad in my first few days as well.  There were just so many wonderful topics on offer and I felt like the proverbial kid in a candy store.  Come to that, X'na's doing a pretty good job of going post happy as well.
I don't understand why so many people sign up and then don't post anything - then again maybe not everyone is as argumentative and opinionated as I am.

Kehlan

Captain Kehlan
USS Endeavour NCC-71805
Federation/Klingon Rapid Response Fleet
Abbot Nej vIt
Thought Master

« Reply #9 on: 05 06, 2006, 09:38: PM »

You are not the only one who went Post Happy,
No, I think I went pretty mad in my first few days as well.  There were just so many wonderful topics on offer and I felt like the proverbial kid in a candy store.  Come to that, X'na's doing a pretty good job of going post happy as well.
I don't understand why so many people sign up and then don't post anything - then again maybe not everyone is as argumentative and opinionated as I am.

Kehlan

Hard to Say... I Know that I Have Sometimes Registered on Some Board or another for a Particular Reason like being able to Read other Peoples Posts, or similar, and then do not End up Posting much... KIDC is different in that I Have More than a Passing interest in some of this Stuff... And Have of COurse Come to Make a Few Friends around here as well... But Coming into the site, I Was Just Eager to Chat My lil'  Klingon Heart out...

X'na
Courier

« Reply #10 on: 05 09, 2006, 05:26: PM »

[Come to that, X'na's doing a pretty good job of going post happy as well.

Why Kehlan, you noticed! LOL Smiley

Yeah, I'm a chatty bugger. Not to try to boost my rating (although higher ranking does appeal to me, as it does to all competetive Klingons). And show me a Klingon that *isn't* opinionated and argumentative and I'll show you a Klingon that's really a Fed with a lot of make up on. <laughs> Smiley

"I treat everyone the same until they prove themselves an idiot".
X'na Zantai Ab'Qaff
Captain of the Lion's Klaw
Proud Member of House Ab'Qaff
Abbot Nej vIt
Thought Master

« Reply #11 on: 05 09, 2006, 06:07: PM »

The ranking system is certainly an added element of forum interactivity, as are post counts in general... I must admit though that upon initially discovering online forums, I was ignorant to the fact that many folks do keep track of such things... And further that it is something of a competative "Sport" to many... In the case of KIDC I like that the rankings have thoughtful titles associated with them...

Kehlan
Senior Strategist

« Reply #12 on: 05 09, 2006, 08:18: PM »

Why Kehlan, you noticed! LOL Smiley

X'na, I could hardly not notice.  You've made it to over 40 posts already and you've only been on the board for a few days.  Fun isnt it!

I'm aiming for Word Warrior myself.

Kehlan

Captain Kehlan
USS Endeavour NCC-71805
X'na
Courier

« Reply #13 on: 05 09, 2006, 11:52: PM »

It sure *is* fun! Smiley

I try very hard to never do "me too" posts, though. Those are so annoying. And take up valuable space. I'm just a chatty so and so...I admit it, though.

"I treat everyone the same until they prove themselves an idiot".
X'na Zantai Ab'Qaff
Captain of the Lion's Klaw
Proud Member of House Ab'Qaff
Klythe
Administrator
Thought Master

« Reply #14 on: 05 10, 2006, 12:50: AM »

Definitely this is not meant to encourage frivolous replies to influence your post count.  We expect everyone to use good judgement when posting, but not to hold back if they have something meaningful to say that has not already been said.   We do issue warnings, privately or publically if we feel people are using poor judgement or are unfamiliar with the posting guidelines.

Yeah, I'm kinda sad that I just left Word Warrior...   Now all that is left for me is Thought Master.

Qeytok
Courier

« Reply #15 on: 05 10, 2006, 02:29: PM »

I've never been much of a post count kid, on one of the boards I used to run I removed ranks in the end it just led far to much to the "me to" stuff, and being new at that time to admin/moderating didn't like telling people off. But since them long ago days Ranks are a nice touch for the regulars and gives them a feeling of acomplishment, and here you have chosen a nice selection, good spacing and nice names.

Mind you I LMAO when I saw I was a "One post wounder", It was kinda a shame to loose it in the end, I'm a sucker for comedy ranks at times Smiley

I'm holding back a bit making sure I only post when it adds to the thread and not clutters it, I'm not one for reading masses of text, not my strong suit. But here I have seen so many interesting and thought provoking threads it's been a real rare treat on a forum. Most I go on have the normal banter sections and costume sections etc, but here you have EVERYTHING Klingon, from religion to rituals, to peotry, to science and engineering,,,sheesh even a kitchen LOL. I'm sure over time I shall soon be working my way up the ranks as it where.

Keep up the good work Smiley
Qapla
Qeytok

Commander Qeytok
Chief Engineer
USS Endeavour NCC-71805
qoSagh
Thought Master

« Reply #16 on: 05 10, 2006, 07:51: PM »

I too like the Klingon titles for the ranks. Of course my new rank is doubly cool because it is a rank reminiscent of TFR / FASA. Although I didn't realize what the count was to get here until I was close and I was reading old topics (like this one). After that it lead to a bit of disappointment in that I found very little to post about as I was watching the last 15 or so go by. My wife took great pleasure in nightly reminding me that I wasn't a Thought Master yet.

I may have mentioned my inverted posting theory before, but I think we are all more likely to go "post happy" in the beginning because every topic is new. After a few posts, only some of them get replies, and one settles into a more regular posting partern. The longer you are here, the slower the progress moves, which I think is the way it should be.

qoSagh qlIStIy
dghor1966
Courier

« Reply #17 on: 07 12, 2006, 01:27: AM »

Well then I have alot of catching up to do lol I will post more

D'ghor

Pass the Bloodwine
Klythe
Administrator
Thought Master

« Reply #18 on: 07 12, 2006, 01:54: AM »

Maybe we'll have to come up with some more post titles...  Although what is Higher than Thought Admiral that isn't an agregious insult?
Abbot Nej vIt
Thought Master

« Reply #19 on: 07 12, 2006, 04:56: AM »

Maybe we'll have to come up with some more post titles...  Although what is Higher than Thought Admiral that isn't an agregious insult?

Actually I always sort of thought that *Thought Admiral/Master* sort of was an insult... Cheesy

Of course alternately, perhaps the required post count requirements could be increased, and the new titles fit in between Senior Stratigist and Thought Master? And even widen the gap a bit on those titles that exist now... Personally It would not bother me if Thought Master were nearly unattainable... Like 10,000 posts or something similarly unlikely... Really give us something to "Strive" for... Tongue

Klythe
Administrator
Thought Master

« Reply #20 on: 07 12, 2006, 04:27: PM »

Actually I always sort of thought that *Thought Admiral/Master* sort of was an insult..

...And now I are one.  Cheesy Klingon Grin
Abbot Nej vIt
Thought Master

« Reply #21 on: 07 13, 2006, 01:24: AM »

Congratulations then...

Seriously though, is there anyone here who would have a problem with increaseing the requirements? I know that I would not have a problem with it... But then for me post counts and grand titles are not a big deal, there may be others who feel differently...

SoplaHtaHwI'
Senior Strategist

yuchvaD vIqvaD je jIyIn

« Reply #22 on: 07 13, 2006, 07:00: AM »

Congratulations then...

Seriously though, is there anyone here who would have a problem with increaseing the requirements? I know that I would not have a problem with it... But then for me post counts and grand titles are not a big deal, there may be others who feel differently...
I didn't even notice the three thought masters until this thread turned to the topic...

qa'pIn [SoplaHtaHwI'] qI'meQ vIghro''a'
yuch betleH 'obe' la'quv
Khemorex-Klinzhai member, IKEF member
Dishonored Captain of the former spacecraft qaDwI' Doq
Kehlan
Senior Strategist

« Reply #23 on: 07 13, 2006, 07:07: AM »

I did notice that I have been a Lettered Veteran for a while and you're not supposed to get that until 200 posts (I'm currently on 198 I think). thats not a complaint by the way, just an observation.

I am fine with the idea of more ranks, it makes it interesting.  Actually on my own forum, we don't use ranks in the same way and they don't change with the number of posts.

Kehlan

Captain Kehlan
USS Endeavour NCC-71805
Abbot Nej vIt
Thought Master

« Reply #24 on: 07 13, 2006, 10:40: AM »

Actually on my own forum, we don't use ranks in the same way and they don't change with the number of posts.

Kehlan

With RRF such rankings would have to be a little different, since Persona rank within the game would be different than a Post count base... Though it would be an interesting idea to try to sort out I suppose? (Some sort of ranking system, not Persona rank being based on post count)...

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: