Klingon Imperial Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
04 22, 2018, 08:34: AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
The boards are having problems with email. We are advising members to set your secret questions and answers in case the board can't send email to let you reset lost passwords.
11898 Posts in 1666 Topics by 692 Members
Latest Member: smithassignment1
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  Klingon Imperial Forums
|-+  Klingon Guilds
| |-+  Klingon Imperial Costumers Guild
| | |-+  Uniforms & Tunics
| | | |-+  Uniform pants
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Uniform pants  (Read 17227 times)
Abbot Nej vIt
Highly Opinionated Klingon
Thought Master

"I Will Take the Conquerer Ceasers Salad... Now!"

« on: 12 10, 2005, 03:00: PM »

You Know I Started Out with a Pair of Black BDU's, But they arte WAY TOO BAGGY, well in my opinion...<Chuckle>... So I Found a Much Better Solution...

Sweat Pants! Seriously, Get Dark Grey Sweatpants (The Thin Summer Kind Not the Real Thick ones)... and Make Sure that they are At Least One, Preferably Two Sizes Too SMALL... That's Right You Heard me Correctly, get the Bloody things Too Small, they Will Still Stretch, and Will Give a Much more Form Fitting Appearance than BDU's or Jeans... AND You Can Buy them For Cheaper than Either Jeans or BDU's...

Alternately, and this is really the Best Solution Short of Having Someone Make them Custom, Dance Skins! No Kidding... Dance Skins are the Best, they are Available in Lots of Colors, Including Gray and Brown, or Black for those that Want them... They are More Expensive than Sweats, but not by that Much... Only Down side is that If You are a Guy, You will have to Suck it up and Probably Wear Womens, as Guys Dance Skins are a lot Harder to Find... But then we are Wearing Make up, and Funny Wigs anyway, so No Biggie on Wearing A Dance Skins... At Least in my Book...<Grin>...

Archbishop Nej vIt SutaI-H'Nter,
Spiritual Advisor to K.L.A.W. 4th Fleet,
Abbot, Dugh toy'wI' Library
Kesvirit
Her Nibbs
Administrator
Thought Master

That which does not kill me, must have missed me.

« Reply #1 on: 12 17, 2005, 07:52: AM »

(What are BDUs?)

The main complaint I have heard about going the tight sweatpants route is that they pull out of shape very quickly. Along with dance skins, a possible alternative is to use equestrian breeches. Some basic or schooling breeches lack the padded seat and knees, and because they come in both 2-way and 4-way stretch fabric they are less likely to get the runs that both sweats and skins are prone to. Last I checked, they are slightly more expensive than dance skins but are much more durable. I would think they would be worth the investment to those who wear their uniforms with any degree of frequency. They also hold up well during paintballing.

The downside: they can be hard to find. Most retail riding clothing is marketed to small women, and the largest waist size I have seen was a men’s 36. Anyone considering trying breeches is encouraged to let their fingers do the stalking and call ahead to see if the store has something you are likely to fit into.

Richard the Sound Guy: "And the next person to lecture me about canon risks getting shot out of one! Right, gaffers?"
Gaffers make appreciative and supportive remarks in the form of bad imitations of primate calls from the direction of the lighting grids.
Abbot Nej vIt
Thought Master

« Reply #2 on: 12 17, 2005, 09:28: AM »

BDU = Battle Dress Uniform... They are The Military Uniform Pants that are Worn by U.S. Forces... They Come in a Wide Variety of Patterns and Colors. They are However Extremely Baggy (By Design), And Have Huge "Cargo" Pockets on the Thighs, Which are Conveinent for Storage, but Look Decidedly Un-klingon... (At least in my Less than Humble Opinion)...<Chuckle>...

I Have Used Both Dance Skins and Sweatpants for Years without Issue of Runs or Pulling out of Shape...

I Have Never Seen Riding Pants Up Close, Nor Obviously Worn them... But that Could be another Solution as well...

I Have also Seen Folks Wear Leather or Latex "Jeans", Though these only tend to Look Good on "Certain" types of Costumes, and of Course are again More Expensive Generally...

qoSagh
Warrior Bard of the Ontological
Thought Master

« Reply #3 on: 12 17, 2005, 02:43: PM »

BDU's are the original cargo pants. As for the pockets not being Klingon, I always thought of them as similar to the pockets on Kruge's cloak. I also mostly wear my cloak over them so the pockets are seldom noticeable.

I also had a pair of pants that I wore over sweatpants, that were made out of a black and dark brown loose weave fabric, that kind of but not quite resembled the pants from the TOS uniforms. They were not that durable and ripped after a few wearings. I would still like to find a pair of TOS pants, I saw one on eBay a few years back and they were too expensive and the wrong size.

Although the purists will disagree, I think that modern Klingon battle armor worn over those older style mesh pants would be quite striking.

qoSagh qlIStIy
meycha of the qaptaQ www.qaptaQ.org
Prothonotary of the Desert Rite
"I would kill the children of a thousand planets, just to see you smile."
Abbot Nej vIt
Thought Master

« Reply #4 on: 12 18, 2005, 05:38: PM »

I Had Found a Place that Made all sorts of TOS accessories to Order, but When I attempted to Contact them a Few Months Back I Never Received any Reply...

We Attempted Making a Pair of Pants from Scratch, Including an "Outer" Weave/Mesh that we Spray Painted an Antique Gold... THey Look Pretty Good, but are a Little to Short, and Do Not have Enough "Give"... But I really Like the Effect of Having a "Mesh" over Other Material...

qoSagh
Thought Master

« Reply #5 on: 12 19, 2005, 01:43: AM »

If I could find a fairly good recreation of the net/fabric used, I would be willing to try to make my own again. The basic pattern can't be all that difficult. I think the pants are supposed to be kind of short, because of the high boots that were worn on TOS. That's one advantage we have over the feddies, they change their uniforms all the time and have abandoned their boots. We changed uniforms basically once, and not only kept our boots but added spikes.

qoSagh qlIStIy
Abbot Nej vIt
Thought Master

« Reply #6 on: 12 19, 2005, 08:01: AM »

Actually the Pants were too Short in the Seat, So they Ride way too low... We Found a Nice Looking Mesh at Jo-anns Fabrics, but Like I Said we Had to Paint it, And there was Not Much Give, so a Strecth Mesh would be Ideal...

qoSagh
Thought Master

« Reply #7 on: 12 19, 2005, 07:38: PM »

I will have to search the fabric stores, there is a JoAnne's not to far from me. From the pics I have taken at various museums I know it is a fairly wide mesh, almost like a net. I wonder about how a stretch fabric would be when painted. I can see either the paint flaking off when the fabric stretches or the paint acting like a glue and restricting the stretch of the fabric.

Of course If I find the fabric and make the pants, I might just have to get of my butt and make or buy armor, to complete the look. I have had the basic design I've wanted to do for my armor for a long time. Perhaps I have been procrastinating too long. I also have an unfinished cloak/vestment in my closet.

qoSagh qlIStIy
voraq
Klingon Conversationalist

son of Dutrogath

« Reply #8 on: 12 23, 2005, 06:07: PM »

I wonder about how a stretch fabric would be when painted.

While I have not attempted this yet, I have an idea which might not impede the stretch factor too much.  If you take a spray paint, or an air brush (which might work better for this idea) and cover the material in a mist of paint it might not cover in such a way that the paint will dry to itself.  If you mist the paint on it might add just enough color to look proper but not so much as to effect the nature of the material.

Just an idea.
Abbot Nej vIt
Thought Master

« Reply #9 on: 12 23, 2005, 08:16: PM »

Yes, the Mesh we used had only Minimal Stretch as that was the "Best" Size and Design we could find... When Painted it was done in a "Misting" sort of Tecnique which resulted in the Material Absorbing a lot of the Paint, and it still came out sort of "Thin" looking, in other words almost but not quite "Patchey" which sort of adds to the Effect... Of Course the Cost of Fabric Spray Paint Prohibited the sort of Quantity we needed so we Used a more General Craft Paint...

Now Our Options were limited by the Type of Material we Could find in a Short Time Frame... Later Someone else in the Group said that they had Found a Nice Gold Colored Mesh that had roughly the right Look to it, but I Have Not seen it...

Also I Keep Calling it Mesh, but it is really more of a "Netting"...

qoSagh
Thought Master

« Reply #10 on: 12 24, 2005, 05:28: AM »

Yes it is really more of a net, and a fairly coarse/wide one at that. I would say similar to what a fisherman would use, but that brings to mind the concept of Klingon Fishnets, and I just can do that.

qoSagh qlIStIy
Abbot Nej vIt
Thought Master

« Reply #11 on: 12 24, 2005, 12:51: PM »

....<Smirk>... No... I Don't Much Wanna' Have The Clergy Running around in Fish-nets either...

torQ
Newcomer

« Reply #12 on: 02 07, 2006, 12:49: PM »

I know this may be a dead thread but....

I purchased a pair of grey lady's work out pants at a local sporting goods store that worked out fantastically.  The pants already had one pleat/seam sewn into the leg with sturrups which held them place in your shoes/boots.  I purchased them slightly larger than my own size and, following the same stiching pattern, sewed additional pleats/seams in the legs (according to pictures of the original pants).  If you attempt this remember to purchase them a little larger as the sewing will bring them down to size.   I have used them for years and they have held up magnificently with no stretching. 

Additionally, one does not have to endure the spandex 'catch me, love me' look that is quite imfamous with that type of material.

pax,

torQ
Abbot Nej vIt
Thought Master

« Reply #13 on: 02 07, 2006, 01:30: PM »

I know this may be a dead thread but....

I purchased a pair of grey lady's work out pants at a local sporting goods store that worked out fantastically. The pants already had one pleat/seam sewn into the leg with sturrups which held them place in your shoes/boots. I purchased them slightly larger than my own size and, following the same stiching pattern, sewed additional pleats/seams in the legs (according to pictures of the original pants). If you attempt this remember to purchase them a little larger as the sewing will bring them down to size. I have used them for years and they have held up magnificently with no stretching.

Additionally, one does not have to endure the spandex 'catch me, love me' look that is quite imfamous with that type of material.

pax,

torQ

TorQ,

When You Say Work out Pants, Are You Refering to Sweats, Dance Skins or Something More Like Cycling Pants?

torQ
Newcomer

« Reply #14 on: 02 08, 2006, 04:56: AM »

Nej vIT,

The trousers are a blend of cotton and polyester.  About a 60/40 blend that keeps them from slipping when you sew them.  The have a weave texture to them that makes them almost look like garberdine.  What is the true color of the service trouser?  I was thinking it may be a mouse brown.  I also have a black pair that look quite snazy with my black/grey tunic.

The sturrups are quite handy too. 

torQ
Abbot Nej vIt
Thought Master

« Reply #15 on: 02 08, 2006, 04:03: PM »

torQ,

As to Color, we Have Seen Both Light Brown, as well as a Dark Grey Uniform Pants on the Various Shows and Films.

In Klindom of Course the Colors Range More Widely, Though Grey and Black seem to be Most Common... I Have Seen Realatively Few of the Brown worn by Fans...

Kaz Son of Maktan

« Reply #16 on: 02 10, 2006, 10:04: PM »

nuqneH. Greetings! I am new to the KIF, so pardom me if someone has already made a reply like this off the board.
>Baseball pants. They're light, stretch and stand up to quite a bit of abuse.
After dreaming about this over a decade ago, I have finally taken on the cause of acquiring/making  my own uniform.  I have done a huge amount of research, especially images, through google, Ex Astris Scientia and Memory Alpha, as well as my own screen captures from dvd. Learning that costumers from the shows frequently hand-dyed acquired fabric, what I am attempting is to take a cheaper pair of light grey baseball pants (which I bought for $17), adding ribbing/stripes on the front and back and then dying the light grey with a wash of dark grey/black and then another light wash of purple.  Now let me make two qualifications, first, the tint of colors from film to dvd to screen is something I totally know I am shooting for a ballpark area in and not exactingly (if that's a real word). Second, in my research and design, I have finally realized that (for myself) accuracy takes a much needed backstep to creatvity.  I could make it as perfect as I could, and spend a boatload (let's face it, we don't have a studios TV costuming budget), but I was losing the driving force of making this with my own hands that first inspired me. As we have seen, the Klingon Empire utilizes many variations on the theme and seems quite open to more.  Whatever materials we use, we all make them Klingon. Qapla'!

Ars Brevis Vita Brevis
Abbot Nej vIt
Thought Master

« Reply #17 on: 02 11, 2006, 01:16: AM »

Khaz,

These are Wise Words...

K.L.A.W. 4th Fleet has Said For Many Years that the Over all Rule of "If it Looks Klingon, then it IS Klingon" Should be Honored... And You are Right it is Ultimately the Fan that Makes or Breaks the Look and Impression of Klingon-ness...

When You Complete Your Efforts I Encourage You to Post Pictures so that We Can All See what You Have Come up with... In Particular If You Could Take Pictures of the "Process" as Something of a Tutorial...

maj!

dghor1966
Courier

« Reply #18 on: 04 19, 2006, 08:29: PM »

Greeting to all
I'm new here and have read about the pants. I just started to make my own uniform I got the upper part done now I'm going to work on the pants, from what I have read the matrial they use was called Jumbo Spandex much thicker then regular spandex and I have found some on the internet. Once I get all the material coming in I hope to have the pants made soon.

D'ghor

Pass the Bloodwine
qoSagh
Thought Master

« Reply #19 on: 04 20, 2006, 12:45: PM »

I like the idea of the baseball pants. I wonder how well they will take to the dye washes, as I think they may be designed not to absorb too much in the way of stains from dirt & grass. Either way I would think several washes might be needed to soften them up before the dye process.

qoSagh qlIStIy
Kaz Son of Maktan

« Reply #20 on: 04 20, 2006, 12:58: PM »

Yah... after buying the dye and pants, it wasn't until a while afterwards that I actually read the instructions (figures).
Dyes do not take well to synthetics, especially this polyester.  Ah well, live and learn. I figure I can still use them for another project. Am looking up "Jumbo Spandex" right now. Qapla'!

Ars Brevis Vita Brevis
qoSagh
Thought Master

« Reply #21 on: 04 20, 2006, 03:09: PM »

If they are a blend, with some natural fibers, that might make for an interesting effect since you are looking to just give a colored wash to them, not a full dye job. I also know that they dye process has a great deal to do with how long the fabric is exposed to the dye. Perhaps, soaking them in the dye wash, then hanging them up to air dry for a day or two then rinsing them might work. Just so untried thoughts.

qoSagh qlIStIy
dghor1966
Courier

« Reply #22 on: 07 05, 2006, 06:27: AM »

I will post a link to my finish uniform and will show the pants I made.

Qa'pla
 D'ghor

Pass the Bloodwine
netlhQIn
Courier

« Reply #23 on: 04 08, 2008, 06:10: PM »

Extremely dead-looking thread here, but I figured I'd mention my intentions for the pants.  As others mentioned several times, I plan to use dark grey (charcoal) BDU's from www.bdu.com but! I also intend to put two lines of grommets down the back of each leg and lace them up.  No more bagginess!   Smiley

I also kinda like the idea of the thigh pockets both ornamentally and for practical reasons.
Kaz Son of Maktan

« Reply #24 on: 07 07, 2008, 08:48: AM »

I haven't touched this thread in a while, but I just wanted ask if folks have tried to make a variation of the TOS pants? I ask this because I started getting ideas yesterday when I discovered (for myself) an awesome warehouse of discount fabrics in SF that had cool gold netting and large, thick black fishnet fabric.  Now, I also just recently discovered (for myself) the magic of Flickr, especially postings from fellow Trekkers' pictures of wardrobe from the Star Trek Experience in Vegas and the ST museum tour and I realized the TOS pants were a gold or black and gold glitter net over black cotton.  Anyways, long story short is that I started thinking of making a hybrid TOS TNG Klingon uniform very much based on the ST comic book mini-series Blood Will Tell. And I think a good option for folks would be black netting over black cotton.
« Last Edit: 07 07, 2008, 09:11: AM by Kaz Son of Maktan » Logged

Ars Brevis Vita Brevis
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: