Klingon Imperial Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
12 11, 2017, 05:10: PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Realtime chats are now following a freeform schedule.  If you would like to chat with you fellows please see the It's Talk Time thread for more info or to schedule a chat.
11894 Posts in 1664 Topics by 689 Members
Latest Member: regdun234
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  Klingon Imperial Forums
|-+  Klingon Guilds
| |-+  Klingon Imperial Costumers Guild
| | |-+  Pins, Jewelry & Badges
| | | |-+  Awarding & wearing of medals
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Awarding & wearing of medals  (Read 6407 times)
BuraD
Scribe

« on: 10 12, 2003, 08:48: AM »

posted on 7-2-2002 at 03:54 AM

Awarding & wearing of medals

I'd like to get a discussion going on the award of medals/badges and the wearing of them. This discussion is not about honorifics though..... let's do that on another thread.

For instance, we established a graduated set of medals/awards much like the military, to make given awards readily recognizable and to establish a set of standards/guidelines for their award.
We have specific medals for achievement, others for service, others for impact, and others to recognize skill.

This gives us a way to recognize effort and service beyond the 'expected' norm, and makes it easy for others to see what kinds of achievements the wearer has accomplished. It also put some limits on the awards, as different levels of awards have to be approved at different levels of the leadership.

We also established that members can wear other pins and badges that they find for sale or they create if they wish, but they may only wear what they earn of the Fleet medals. Thus far this has worked very well, for about eight years.

What we're working on now is ways to denote multiple awards of the same medal, just as the military does.

I'd like to hear how other groups achieve member recognition for achievement and service (other than rank and honorofics).
qurgh
Novice

« Reply #1 on: 10 12, 2003, 08:50: AM »

posted on 7-2-2002 at 11:54 PM

The KLI does something I hadn't seen before. When you move up the certification levels you get badges. Each of the 3 badges you can get fit together to make a sort of trefoil.

You could always try something like that. Each time you get the award, it adds onto the older one.

Jorf
Novice

« Reply #2 on: 10 12, 2003, 08:54: AM »

posted on 8-1-2002 at 02:35 PM
Originally posted by BuraD
I'd like to get a discussion going on the award of medals/badges and the wearing of them ... We have specific medals for achievement, others for service, others for impact, and others to recognize skill. This gives us a way to recognize effort and service beyond the 'expected' norm, and makes it easy for others to see what kinds of achievements the wearer has accomplished ... We also established that members can wear other pins and badges that they find for sale or they create if they wish, but they may only wear what they earn of the Fleet medals. Thus far this has worked very well, for about eight years.
What we're working on now is ways to denote multiple awards of the same medal... I'd like to hear how other groups achieve member recognition for achievement and service (other than rank and honorofics).
It sounds like you have a pretty good system already. I don't know if you are affliated with KAG, but I know they use a system of colored battle notches to help denote multiple awards. You might want to take a look and see if it gives you some ideas. Another idea would be something similar to what the military does on planet earth. They add devices to existing medals/badges. For instance you might get a initial award for something (like meritorious service or a commedation medal). A second identical medal might include a device (like an oak leaf cluster) to define the new award. Just some ideas.
Qa'pla
BuraD
Scribe

« Reply #3 on: 10 12, 2003, 08:58: AM »

posted on 9-21-2002 at 06:08 AM

medals & badges

We are examining some kind of add-on to be able to do multiple awards of the same medal, in the same way the military does with oak leaf clusters or V devices.
We just haven't come to an agreement yet on what the add-on should be.
One of the other things we did was establish specific medals for achievement, others for service, others for courage, and others for leadership. Very similar in many respects to the military (thinking if it works, and it does, why not use it).
weslipuqlod
Weaponsmith
Senior Courier

« Reply #4 on: 10 12, 2003, 09:00: AM »

posted on 10-14-2002 at 09:48 PM

Badges (?)

Has any group labeled the brass links that are seen adorning the rope-style collar of traditionally officer grade battle uniforms?

You see throughout the series that some warriors have multiple brass links and others have few to none.

The Alliance of Identical Fire, boq nIb qul, is evaluating using these brass links as honor badges. When a step, level, or accomplishment is achieved a specially engraved brass link is awarded that is then affixed to the rope-style collar, clearly displayed for all.

qoSagh
Warrior Bard of the Ontological
Thought Master

« Reply #5 on: 03 26, 2004, 11:09: PM »

Whatever you use, make sure it is something you will be able to get ahold of later. A past role play character I had was a 150 year old Klignon cleric. In keeping with what that life would have included, I bought several medals and have them on my cloak. Most of these are now not replacible because they were resincasts designed and sold dealer to dealer at conventions. They never had any artis or manufacturer information on them. Since Paramount has done thier best to shut down this type of operation, I will never be able to get more of these medals. It is a shame because they look great. Very sharp and crisp casting. They seem to have been made by casting the micromachine ships and other medals as many of them feature very detailed ships.

There used to be a club in my area that bought medals from a Klingon supplier in upstate New York, who is now out of bussiness. No more of his medals are avalible. So if it is not something you can make yourself, it may not be the best choice for a club medal.

qoSagh qlIStIy
meycha of the qaptaQ www.qaptaQ.org
Prothonotary of the Desert Rite
"I would kill the children of a thousand planets, just to see you smile."
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: