Klingon Imperial Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
10 02, 2014, 11:28: AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Thu 26Jul2012:
     Due to security issues file attchments are disabled for the time being.  We are invenvestigating the impact to the board and working to ensure our forums are clean and trustworthy.   In the mean time you can email your attachments to Kesvirit and/or Klythe along with which message you want them attached to and we will add them.

11620 Posts in 1595 Topics by 660 Members
Latest Member: jigirafül
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  Klingon Imperial Forums
|-+  General Discussions
| |-+  Klingon News
| | |-+  Klingon Events & Activities
| | | |-+  Convention Reports and Reviews
| | | | |-+  Klingon Behaviour in Conventions
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Klingon Behaviour in Conventions  (Read 16109 times)
qoSagh
Warrior Bard of the Ontological
Thought Master

« on: 06 12, 2005, 11:15: AM »

I can see where it would be easier for the mundanes, but I think this also goes to the larger point of role playing. Klingons are popular because of who and what they have become. Because of Star Trek being as big as it is/was Klingons are rather well known. I think at this point anyone who is even a little familiar with Klingons knows what we look like, and how we act.

Watring down the Klingon for a variety of reasons, is in my opinion, going far away from what we all decided was fun when we joined clubs or bought/made unhiforms. I have heard people say we should act less Klingon at cons because there are children there, so in truth there will always someone who thinks we should be just a bit less Klingon. I for one would have joined a fed club if I wanted to be less Klingon.

qoSagh qlIStIy
meycha of the qaptaQ www.qaptaQ.org
Prothonotary of the Desert Rite
"I would kill the children of a thousand planets, just to see you smile."
SoplaHtaHwI'
Senior Strategist

yuchvaD vIqvaD je jIyIn

« Reply #1 on: 06 13, 2005, 02:01: AM »

I can see where it would be easier for the mundanes, but I think this also goes to the larger point of role playing. Klingons are popular because of who and what they have become. Because of Star Trek being as big as it is/was Klingons are rather well known. I think at this point anyone who is even a little familiar with Klingons knows what we look like, and how we act.

Watring down the Klingon for a variety of reasons, is in my opinion, going far away from what we all decided was fun when we joined clubs or bought/made unhiforms. I have heard people say we should act less Klingon at cons because there are children there, so in truth there will always someone who thinks we should be just a bit less Klingon. I for one would have joined a fed club if I wanted to be less Klingon.
hear hear!

A klingon would change his behaviour around/towards a child too, I think. It would not make him less Klingon to do so.

Just because a grown-up is uncomfortable with the way we act, doesn't mean he/she can blame it on kids being around...

qa'pIn [SoplaHtaHwI'] qI'meQ vIghro''a'
yuch betleH 'obe' la'quv
Khemorex-Klinzhai member, IKEF member
Dishonored Captain of the former spacecraft qaDwI' Doq
qoSagh
Thought Master

« Reply #2 on: 06 13, 2005, 09:46: AM »

I have never set out to frighten the kids, but I can not stomach the idea of a sensitive Klingon getting all touchy feely for the sake of being a crowd pleaser. If the parent does not want their children exposed to Klingons, then don't bring him over to the Klingons when you see us across the convention center.

qoSagh qlIStIy
Klythe
ngem Sargh lIghwI' pagh cha'
Administrator
Thought Master

When a show of teeth doesn't work, bite deeply.

« Reply #3 on: 06 20, 2005, 02:53: AM »

In conventions...  A warrior is likely to have few duties. Unless the one is volunteering or is part of an organized event, the only limits to acting in character are the convention rules and the rules of any Klingon clubs you may be affiliated with.   Within those rules, and yes, Klingons do follow rules unless they are assured that they are willing to accept the consequences...   Within those rules, the Klingon's only purpose is to have fun and allow others the same.  

Fan Conventions are not entirely public, you have to pay to get in after all.   If someone is causing problems, the convention has people there to solve those problems, if necessary by forcefully ejecting the offending party and banning them from future Conventions.  My opinion is that you should have as much fun playing in-character as you wish as long as you don't do anything that attracts the professional attention of Con Security, law enforcement, the hotel staff or your host/event organizer.

Yeah.  I admit I can be obnoxious and sometimes a bit disrtuptive.  Sometimes I piss people off.  I try to avoid doing it deliberately, but sometimes I do step over the line., but once I do, I do my best to step back on the right side of the line and tone it down a bit so I don't repeat my misstep.  So perhaps this is not the right answer for how to behave in-character at a con...
qoSagh
Thought Master

« Reply #4 on: 06 20, 2005, 07:52: AM »

Perhaps I was misunderstood. When I said be more Klingon, I was not advocating anything illegal or against con rules. The Klingon club I started with had many members who were employeed in Law Enforcement or other government service, and we were all active in enforceing con rules as Security. If anything I think the further into Klingon role play one goes, the more law abiding one becomes. nal komerex khesterex is a rule, the entire code of honor is a code to live by.

What I was speaking against is the dilution of Klingons for the sake of not being too mean or rude. One of the best Klingon quotes I ever heard was that wearing the headpiece was a license to act like an (insert favorite profane term here). For me, what has been the nmost fun about being Klingons is the alien nature of the culture, being at least for a little bit, not human. So to dress like a Klingon and then act like a human to me is only going half way to the fun.

qoSagh qlIStIy
tilk
Klingon Conversationalist

« Reply #5 on: 06 22, 2005, 03:44: AM »

I think as long as you remember where you are, apply common sence, adhere to the good name that trekkers have, then apply the much required klingon twist and good humor, you will have served the empire well. Remember, the way of the warrior is within. As in victory in battle, it is also our goal to inspire and strengthen those around us more so to be abusive and provoke.  
qoSagh
Thought Master

« Reply #6 on: 06 22, 2005, 09:20: PM »

Well Said tilk, however I am reminded of a button I bought at a convention a while back that said:

IF IT IS CALLED COMMON SENSE, SHOULDN'T MORE PEOPLE HAVE IT?

I have certainly done things that were designed to freak people out, but I never pushed past a certain point if they showed they were overly disgusted or offended. One of my best was standing at a Klingon table, among a bunch of other clubs (non-klingon, the lot of them) and eating sea eel out of a bowl with my fingers, after which I used my l'vek as a toothpick.
« Last Edit: 06 22, 2005, 09:20: PM by qoSagh » Logged

qoSagh qlIStIy
SoplaHtaHwI'
Senior Strategist

yuchvaD vIqvaD je jIyIn

« Reply #7 on: 06 23, 2005, 02:15: AM »

IF IT IS CALLED COMMON SENSE, SHOULDN'T MORE PEOPLE HAVE IT?
Now that's a button we should make KIDC standard issue IMO...
have certainly done things that were designed to freak people out
[...]
and eating sea eel out of a bowl with my fingers, after which I used my l'vek as a toothpick.
majQa'!
« Last Edit: 06 23, 2005, 02:18: AM by SoplaHtaHwI' » Logged

yuch betleH 'obe' la'quv
tilk

« Reply #8 on: 06 26, 2005, 01:51: AM »

excellent example. eating somthing potenially alien (to me) is very klingon.  
qoSagh
Thought Master

« Reply #9 on: 06 26, 2005, 07:23: PM »

In my more fanatical days, I would usually read a club member the riot act for publicly eating human food. Go get fast food if you want it, but don't eat it at the fan club recruitment table. That is what lead me to eating the eel. Well that and the fact that there was a sushi bar in the hotel lobby that featured many interesting dishes.

qoSagh qlIStIy
Abbot Nej vIt
Highly Opinionated Klingon
Thought Master

"I Will Take the Conquerer Ceasers Salad... Now!"

« Reply #10 on: 07 03, 2005, 08:25: AM »

In my more fanatical days, I would usually read a club member the riot act for publicly eating human food. Go get fast food if you want it, but don't eat it at the fan club recruitment table. That is what lead me to eating the eel. Well that and the fact that there was a sushi bar in the hotel lobby that featured many interesting dishes.
qoSagh,

I Think You and I are more on the Same Sheet of Music then at First it Seemed... The Examples you Give are well within the Confines of "Good" Klingon Behavior without Outright being Rude or Vicious...

I also Find that it can be Useful to have a Few Brief Planned "Performances", that can be employed as appropriate... A Brief exchange of Curse Warfare with a Confederate for example...

Or one of my Favorites, is When Folks Not in Klingon Costume (And Especially if they are in Feddie), Walk by and Give the Mirror-Mirror/ Klingon Salute and Say or Yell Qapla'... My Usual Response is to Yell Loudly... "Are You Choking? Do you Require Assistance?"...<Chuckle>... Which is an Example of "Messing" with the Crowd as it were, And Using Humor that may not be "Directly" Klingon but is still "Shocking" because they rarely know what to say to that...

Another is when people Try to Touch the Ridge, I will Say something like "I am No Diplomat and I Do not Understand the Meaning of Your Insane Gestureing, but you Risk Great Dishonor and a Possible Blood Feud if You Continue!"...

Again, an Example of Being Brusk and Unexpected without Ever Doing Something Trully Klingon like Drawing a Blade or Outright Threatening of Someones Life... When I Hear People Say that This is Watered Down Klingon Behavior for the Sake of the Masses, I Have to Agree in So Far as "Real" Klingons Would Not Tolerate The Tedious Antics of the Average Human... Especially of the Drunk Female Persuasian, which are Usually the Most Offensive...<Smirk>...

Archbishop Nej vIt SutaI-H'Nter,
Spiritual Advisor to K.L.A.W. 4th Fleet,
Abbot, Dugh toy'wI' Library,
http://www.klingonlegion.com/summergames2006/
qoSagh
Thought Master

« Reply #11 on: 07 03, 2005, 07:56: PM »

To the Klingon in me, the Drunk Klingons are usually not that offensive. To the human in me they are usually just disgusting in thier weak attempts at mating.

As for pulling blades, I do not think that a Klingon would automatically pull a blade on a human doing something stupid. If that were the case, there would have been many more dead feddies on T.V. I think Klingons actually pride themselves on the ability to judge when comat is required and when it is just not worth it. Never fight with dogs, children or humans after all.

Fans who join Klingon clubs because they think they will be able to use it for an excuse to commit illegal acts or unwarranted violence are not welcome, at least in my corner of the empire. One must remember two things, first anyone uneducated in the Klingon way will not understand the response anyway and second, thier ignorance plus your stupidity will likely end badly.

I have one other to add to your salute list of responses. When despite being in Klingon uniform, the public feels like giving that g'day't vulcan had sign and saying live long and prosper, I do it back but with my hand inverted and say die young and sterile.

qoSagh qlIStIy
tilk

« Reply #12 on: 07 04, 2005, 04:51: AM »

Abbot Nej vIt,
                          I love your comments. To me, very, very klingon. To most, I would think they would find great humor in it. As did I.

I also agree that a warrior will know when their blade is required.
I would love to see more people goto conventions in Klingon dress, and fan clubs work with conventions where they can, to put on klingon shows, etc( as already happens) so that the younger trek fans, are able to experience the principle trek race in action.
I once saw a Klingon collecting money for the childrens hospital appeal a few years back. Once I have developed my complete uniform and head gear, I hope to rope a few freinds and fans, to follow in his honorable foot steps.  
Klythe
Administrator
Thought Master

« Reply #13 on: 07 04, 2005, 03:52: PM »

I have one other to add to your salute list of responses. When despite being in Klingon uniform, the public feels like giving that g'day't vulcan had sign and saying live long and prosper, I do it back but with my hand inverted and say die young and sterile.

Okay...  I would not do.  It is hostile, rude, insulting and not even clever.   It may not get you into trouble with staff or security, but it won't leave a good impression either as a Klingon or as a fan.

Keep in mind that these are most likely to be casual fans who are looking to see if they will fit in, and will be turned off of fandom by rudeness and elitism.  Maybe their character is a Vulcan so of course greets in the Vulcan way.  Maybe the are just a Feddie who couldn't think of anything better to say.   I usually respond with the traditional oldschool Klingon greeting "Survival and Success", and be done with them.

When I think I am speaking to someone who is deeper into the fandom, or generally has a clue and a modicum of wit about them, my response to this is usually somewhat playfully hostile and 'witty'.  "May you die well", is very Klingon and while somewhat rude and treatening is less threatening and can be explained away as you are trying to be friendly in a Klingon way, "I didn't say when you should die, only that when it happens, you should die well..."   If for some reason they show some promise or earn the smallest bit of my respect, then I will give them my favourite line, "Have a good life, or die trying!".   After all, I don't want you to stop trying to have a good life when success is still attainable...

I try to provide the flavour of being Klingon, without directing the edge at them (Unless they are trying to mess with me, then I resort to either curse warfare or sarcasm.

Hyoomins are no threat to a Klingon, the need to know this.  Don't act like you are angry and certainly don't act like a cornered targh.  Brush them off like ghob flies.   Mock them in a way that baffles them and throws them off guard.  They think Klingons are big and dumb, so them that you are cunning, quick witted and not to be underestimated.  Insulting them in such a clumsy fashion makes you look more like a jerk  than a Klingon.

Play up the Klingon warrior pride, because nothing there is worthy of your anger.   You have real enemies who demand every bit of your rage.  Smile at the casual fans in a way that lets them know that.    Tell them how charming or cute it is that they try to insult you as if they were worthy opponents.

[Edit -- Attributed quote]
« Last Edit: 07 04, 2005, 09:25: PM by Kesvirit » Logged
Abbot Nej vIt
Thought Master

« Reply #14 on: 07 05, 2005, 06:27: PM »

tilk,

Thanks...

qoSagh,

I Found your response to the Vulcan thing to be Funny, but I Would Certainly only Use such in a Very Specific Type of Situation, And Probably not to Anyone out of Character or Costume, Certainly not to the o' so Familiar Socially Challanged of the Con Scene... But it Got a Chuckle out of Me...

Klythe,

Yes I Have Used the "May you Die Well" Line also... It is a Good Standby for sure...

qoSagh
Thought Master

« Reply #15 on: 07 06, 2005, 07:31: AM »

I can see where my remark would be insulting to the average public fan, however most everything I say in character would probably insult someone. Never the less, I do see the point. As for wishing them to die well, I am not sure that is the propper sentiment to express. I usually just go for the more generic growl, or glare which seems to be universal to every language.

There is a fine line between being hostile and appearing hostile, finding that line is the heart of Klingon role playing, I think.

qoSagh qlIStIy
Abbot Nej vIt
Thought Master

« Reply #16 on: 07 16, 2005, 11:04: AM »

Finding that Oh Soo Delicate Balance Really Does Make the Difference Between My Self (And Others Around me Including the Mundanes, or Casual Fans), Having a Memorable and Enjoyable Time as Opposed to it being Tied up in Miscommunication and Ego Conflicts... I Prefer the Former...

qoSagh
Thought Master

« Reply #17 on: 07 17, 2005, 12:03: PM »

I think a good way to remember the boundries is this: growling at passing fans is OK, Growling at them as you lunge for thier throats is probably not OK.  

qoSagh qlIStIy
Abbot Nej vIt
Thought Master

« Reply #18 on: 07 17, 2005, 01:54: PM »

Yup... Generally Physical Contact Should Be Avoided... Unless Initiated by the Victim...er... Fan-boy/girl in Question...

qoSagh
Thought Master

« Reply #19 on: 07 17, 2005, 06:32: PM »

Maybe I'm beiong overl;y cynical here, but the ones who don't object to physical contact are usually the ones I'd least like to have contact with.

qoSagh qlIStIy
SoplaHtaHwI'
Senior Strategist

yuchvaD vIqvaD je jIyIn

« Reply #20 on: 07 18, 2005, 02:39: AM »

Maybe I'm beiong overl;y cynical here, but the ones who don't object to physical contact are usually the ones I'd least like to have contact with.
You are quite right in that view.

yuch betleH 'obe' la'quv
Klythe
Administrator
Thought Master

« Reply #21 on: 08 29, 2005, 12:14: PM »

I have to say that growling at the so-called "normal' people with out provocation is definately not cool.   We are warriors not animals.   We don't look at terrans walking by as threats...  We are masters of the area around us, we have no need to act agressive amonst terrans.  A lion that isn't hungry at the moment does not go around harrassing the other animals.   He looks at them as if they were toys, to be played with at his leisure.  Most Terrans amuse me the way a tennis ball amuses a dog or a ball or yarn a cat.
BuraD
Scribe

« Reply #22 on: 12 11, 2005, 11:00: AM »

Our rule of thumb is "be outrageous, not obnoxious"
Have to remember, especially if you're doing a public event (not a convention) that the ultimate objective is to be invited back.

buraD
IKBF
Abbot Nej vIt
Thought Master

« Reply #23 on: 12 11, 2005, 07:44: PM »

Our rule of thumb is "be outrageous, not obnoxious"
Have to remember, especially if you're doing a public event (not a convention) that the ultimate objective is to be invited back.

buraD
IKBF

I Certainly Agree... And although General Convention Attendance is not Always a Matter of Invitation, If the Club does have an Arrangement of Some Sort (Security, Celebrity Escorts etc)... Then Being Invited back may also be at Stake...

qoSagh
Thought Master

« Reply #24 on: 12 16, 2005, 10:39: PM »

Despite the Klingon appearance, I was taught to keep the role play to a strict minimum when working convention security. That is one of the reasons my club got out of doing security at conventions, because it stopped being a Klingon activity.

qoSagh qlIStIy
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: