Klingon Imperial Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
12 18, 2014, 09:08: PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
The boards are having problems with email. We are advising members to set your secret questions and answers in case the board can't send email to let you reset lost passwords.
11684 Posts in 1610 Topics by 671 Members
Latest Member: killmore
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  Klingon Imperial Forums
|-+  Klingon Guilds
| |-+  Klingon Webmasters Guild
| | |-+  Software Reviews & Recommendations
| | | |-+  Photoshop vs. GIMP
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Photoshop vs. GIMP  (Read 14519 times)
Kesvirit
Her Nibbs
Administrator
Thought Master

That which does not kill me, must have missed me.

« on: 06 18, 2005, 06:54: PM »

A number of graphic designers and other computer artistes have passed through these Forums. I seek their opinions.

How goes Adobe Photoshop 7 compare to GIMP in terms of flexibility, ease of learning, etc?  I am a rank beginner at such things, about to get my hands dirty with layers of image, and wonder where my time would be best spent.

-=- Kesvirit

Richard the Sound Guy: "And the next person to lecture me about canon risks getting shot out of one! Right, gaffers?"
Gaffers make appreciative and supportive remarks in the form of bad imitations of primate calls from the direction of the lighting grids.
tilk
Klingon Conversationalist

« Reply #1 on: 06 19, 2005, 07:34: AM »

Well, i am not expert, but I am currently using photoshop cs to construct and animate my klingon LCARS.  So far, so good.
Kesvirit
Her Nibbs
Administrator
Thought Master

« Reply #2 on: 06 19, 2005, 07:58: PM »

It is my understanding that Photoshop 7 and CS are different and separate applications. I look forward to being corrected ny one with more knowledge and experience than I...

-=- Kesvirit

Richard the Sound Guy: "And the next person to lecture me about canon risks getting shot out of one! Right, gaffers?"
Gaffers make appreciative and supportive remarks in the form of bad imitations of primate calls from the direction of the lighting grids.
SoplaHtaHwI'
Senior Strategist

yuchvaD vIqvaD je jIyIn

« Reply #3 on: 06 20, 2005, 07:13: AM »

A number of graphic designers and other computer artistes have passed through these Forums. I seek their opinions.

How goes Adobe Photoshop 7 compare to GIMP in terms of flexibility, ease of learning, etc?  I am a rank beginner at such things, about to get my hands dirty with layers of image, and wonder where my time would be best spent.

-=- Kesvirit
Photo Shop has a deceivingly flat early learning curve and to be honest, the flexibility of PS is easier to understand than that of TheGimp.

Both are equal in what they can do, but PS is slightly better documented.
This is going on an older version of PS, not PS 7.0.

TheGimp is for free, if you care at all about paying for your software... 8-)
« Last Edit: 06 20, 2005, 07:59: AM by SoplaHtaHwI' » Logged

qa'pIn [SoplaHtaHwI'] qI'meQ vIghro''a'
yuch betleH 'obe' la'quv
Khemorex-Klinzhai member, IKEF member
Dishonored Captain of the former spacecraft qaDwI' Doq
Kesvirit
Her Nibbs
Administrator
Thought Master

« Reply #4 on: 06 20, 2005, 09:56: PM »

My thanks for your recommendations!

Ordinarily, the "free is a very good price" principle would be the deciding factor. But I have access to the PS 7, so this is one of the few decisions that doesn't have to be based on cost.

Looking through GIMP's documentation, tutorials, and instruction manual, all appear to assume more prior knowledge and experience than I in fact have. Once again I am reminded that Open Source does not always live up to its potential. }}:-\

-=- Kesvirit

SoplaHtaHwI'
Senior Strategist

yuchvaD vIqvaD je jIyIn

« Reply #5 on: 06 21, 2005, 01:50: AM »

My thanks for your recommendations!

Looking through GIMP's documentation, tutorials, and instruction manual, all appear to assume more prior knowledge and experience than I in fact have.
To play the OpenSource advocate again though:

Have a look at the Lite Quickies
Once again I am reminded that Open Source does not always live up to its potential. }}:-\

-=- Kesvirit
I don't doubt TheGimp is a very good program, but sadly the learning curve is slightly steeper than that of PS...
And a rule in my book is: If you have access to one program, why consider using another? Not before you tried the one you have, anyway...

yuch betleH 'obe' la'quv
Kesvirit
Her Nibbs
Administrator
Thought Master

« Reply #6 on: 06 22, 2005, 09:52: PM »

And a rule in my book is: If you have access to one program, why consider using another?
In this case, because one has access to two programs and cannot comprehend the instructions to at least one of them. }}:-\

Re: Light Quickies: }}: D !! {qatlho''a'}!* I had not yet found to those in my search for documentation.

-=- Kesvirit

tmk1000
Old Guard

« Reply #7 on: 06 30, 2005, 05:55: PM »

If memory serves me i think there is a skin for thegimp...That will make it look like Photoshop so that you can prettymuch take a photoshop tutoral and use it for gimp ..If you want more info let me know and i will look it back up..I think the skin is free too

{ro'qegh'Iwchab HInob.}

"May your coordinates be free of tribbles."
   {QuvlIjDaq yIH tu'be'lu'jaj.}
Kesvirit
Her Nibbs
Administrator
Thought Master

« Reply #8 on: 06 30, 2005, 10:36: PM »

The skinny on skins?

It is my understanding that a skin is a pre-made graphic installed over the default paint job.

For example, the horizontal red bars at the top of the threads and their posts were originally French blue and pink in color. Lady K'Zin thought them reminiscent of the Federation and did not appreciate the gradation of blues and grays that still appear in the envelopes beside the topic lists in each forum, in posters' signatures, and around the code buttons above the text entry box of the posting forms. She was able to acquire another skin and modify it to superimpose red over the blue. Now the Forums run red and mauve in the colors of Klingon blood blah blah blah. Those with slow internet connections may notice that as the page loads it does so in the original blue and pink before it is overlaid with the red.

Gimp is an image manipulation program, not a skin. Loading a skin over GIMP would be pointless because the visible part of GIMP consists primarily of toolbars. Cover the toolbars and one cannot use the tools.

I am finding that there is a fair amount of overlap between PS and Gimp, but the systems are far from identical or interchangable.

-=- Kesvirit

tmk1000
Old Guard

« Reply #9 on: 07 03, 2005, 01:21: AM »

I don't think i made myself clear.The 'skin' i was talking about rearranges the toolbars and buttens to make it very close to the arrangement of PS
« Last Edit: 09 03, 2005, 06:02: PM by tmk1000 » Logged

{ro'qegh'Iwchab HInob.}

"May your coordinates be free of tribbles."
   {QuvlIjDaq yIH tu'be'lu'jaj.}
Kesvirit
Her Nibbs
Administrator
Thought Master

« Reply #10 on: 07 03, 2005, 08:47: PM »

You misunderstand. Changing the cosmetics of the application will not change its internal functioning.

Is there one who knows more of such things than tmk1000 and myself who can provide a definitive answer?

-=- Kesvirit
« Last Edit: 07 03, 2005, 08:48: PM by Kesvirit » Logged

Klythe
ngem Sargh lIghwI' pagh cha'
Administrator
Thought Master

When a show of teeth doesn't work, bite deeply.

« Reply #11 on: 07 04, 2005, 12:22: AM »

Hmmm, You are both kind of right...  Let me just close the gap between what the two of you are saying.

Okay, a skin is a set of graphics that provide the graphical interface for a program that was designed to allow users to replace the look and feel.   Not all programs allow it and not all skins are implemented the say way.  The board's seems to load the default colors first and then overlay the skin...  This is fairly unusual behaviour in my experience.  Most programs are smart enough to draw themselves only once using the correct skin right away, and fall back to the default look and feel if the skin cannot be loaded.

Yes, a skin cannot change the actual functioning of the program (unless the program is programmed to change how it functions based on the skin...  It's stupid, but stranger things have happened).   But it can rearrange the menus to be layed out differently, to be more familiar to users of a different application.   They still do the (in this case) the GIMP thing, but the menus are arranged to look more like Photoshop.  So that a photoshop tutorial may help you navigate the options, but would eventually lead to much confusion when GIMP did things it's own way instead of the way Photoshop does them...

I think it is beat to pick one and learn it as it asctully is.  If you have access to Photoshop and anticipate that you will continue to have access to upto dat versions, then I suggest you learn Photoshop.  The GIMP is really very nice, but it is a much younger product than Photoshop.  Younger apps have more bugs and fewer featers than older ones.  However, it's growing up quickly, and you can't beat the price, so you know you will always be able to afford the latest version.
SoplaHtaHwI'
Senior Strategist

yuchvaD vIqvaD je jIyIn

« Reply #12 on: 06 13, 2006, 01:16: PM »

Adding to this topic:

Other, more experienced graphic artists have worked with both, and googling for them, I found this and this.

Not to sway anyone's mind to either PS or TG, though.

yuch betleH 'obe' la'quv
Abbot Nej vIt
Highly Opinionated Klingon
Thought Master

"I Will Take the Conquerer Ceasers Salad... Now!"

« Reply #13 on: 06 14, 2006, 02:41: AM »

I have to admit my ignorance here... But PS had a sufficiently difficult learning curve, that even when I had a *Free* copy I was mostly unable to use it...<Sigh>... And I have never attempted GIMP... (Because Photo Shop drove me batty)...

Eventually I probably need to break down and take a graphics course of One sort or another...<Grin>...

Archbishop Nej vIt SutaI-H'Nter,
Spiritual Advisor to K.L.A.W. 4th Fleet,
Abbot, Dugh toy'wI' Library,
http://www.klingonlegion.com/summergames2006/
Tedra_deArr
Senior Courier

« Reply #14 on: 06 14, 2006, 04:08: AM »

also there is still a lot PS can do, which i don't know, i found it easier to work with than gimp. have to admit, when i tried gimp i was already using ps for a while.

anyhow on first sight i didn't quite understand gimp and so i stayed with PS.

Sometimes you have to punch your way through - Captain Kathryn Janeway

Empire of Warriors ORPG, "chal che'wI' tengchaH (Star Ruler space station) " - join us now
SoplaHtaHwI'
Senior Strategist

yuchvaD vIqvaD je jIyIn

« Reply #15 on: 06 14, 2006, 05:59: AM »

Whatever I do, I force myself to use The Gimp. I don't have a copy of PS lying around anymore 8-)

yuch betleH 'obe' la'quv
Klythe
ngem Sargh lIghwI' pagh cha'
Administrator
Thought Master

When a show of teeth doesn't work, bite deeply.

« Reply #16 on: 06 14, 2006, 06:26: PM »

I'm using GIMP...   Cos yeah, I can't afford Photoshop and theya re both pretty baffling to use at first.   Most of the people who are complaining about GIMP's Interface seem to be veteren photoshoppers...  So really can't be sure it it is bad or just different to them.   I am not a professional graphic artist, but so far GIMP has been able to do everything I have wanted it to. 
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: