Klingon Imperial Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
04 24, 2014, 04:18: AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Realtime chats are now following a freeform schedule.  If you would like to chat with you fellows please see the It's Talk Time thread for more info or to schedule a chat.
11499 Posts in 1568 Topics by 620 Members
Latest Member: auror100
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  Klingon Imperial Forums
|-+  Other Klingon-related Topics
| |-+  The Klingon Kitchen
| | |-+  Klingon beer
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Klingon beer  (Read 12281 times)
qoSagh
Warrior Bard of the Ontological
Thought Master

« on: 05 29, 2005, 09:08: PM »

I know out in Las Vegas (at the Star Trek Experience) they sell a german Wheat Beer as Warnog, but I have not encountered any brewers who are making Klingon Beer. That does sound interesting, I wonder what it would be like? I am guessing a full boddied brew, not like the yellow water we make here in America.

But then again I'll take a good German beer or an Irish stout over "The King of Beers" any day!
« Last Edit: 05 29, 2005, 09:09: PM by qoSagh » Logged

qoSagh qlIStIy
meycha of the qaptaQ www.qaptaQ.org
Prothonotary of the Desert Rite
"I would kill the children of a thousand planets, just to see you smile."
Abbot Nej vIt
Highly Opinionated Klingon
Thought Master

"I Will Take the Conquerer Ceasers Salad... Now!"

« Reply #1 on: 06 02, 2005, 04:22: PM »

I Really Like Ambers, I Always think of Abbey Ale as Being an Amber, They are a Nice Midline Between the Overly Sweet Stouts and the Highly Bitter Pilsners... (I Am NOT a "True", (Read Professional) Beer Critic, Nor Am I Particularly Knowledgeable, So I am Speaking From a Point of View which is Supported ONLY by my own Preferences)...

My Favorite Quasi-Domestic Beer is Dos Equis Amber, (I Know it is Technically Mexican But Compared to Other Mexican Beers, SOL, Tecate etc... Well It is The Best, and Really Bottled for American Distribution I Think)...

When I want a Serious Pilsner I Usually Go with Warsteiner...

When I Want a Good Half N' Half it is of Course Guiness and Harp... (Cautionary Note: When In an Irish Pub This Should ALWAYS be Ordered as a Half N' Half, NEVER as a Black and Tan)!

Archbishop Nej vIt SutaI-H'Nter,
Spiritual Advisor to K.L.A.W. 4th Fleet,
Abbot, Dugh toy'wI' Library,
http://www.klingonlegion.com/summergames2006/
qoSagh
Thought Master

« Reply #2 on: 06 02, 2005, 04:43: PM »

On the subject of Half & Half.......There is a drink I have had several times at our local Irish pubs called a Snakebite, which is half Harp and half Cider, it is quite good, in that the sweetness of the cider and the bitterness of the harp cancel each other out and leave you with a deceptively refreshing drink, that you might not remember is alcoholic until it is too late. I have often thought of trying other half & half combos to see what gets produced, but there is always the chance that one will ruin TWO perfectly good beers that way.

qoSagh qlIStIy
Abbot Nej vIt
Thought Master

« Reply #3 on: 06 02, 2005, 06:00: PM »

I Have to Be Careful with Too Sweet Drinks, as they Give Me Trully Nasty Hangovers... (Regardless of the Quality, Which Is Why I Can Not Drink Guiness Straight any more)... But I Would Certainly Give the Snakebite a Chance...

Years ago I Had Occasion to Taste a Serious (And VERY Sweet Stout), that was Called Tripple Bock... (I Do Not think that it was the Sam Adams Version)... But it Had a Kewl Story about Monks Brewing it to Drink During times of Fasting...

Anyway, it Became My Favorite Brew for Quite Some time... (Until the Headaches Got to be Unbearable)... Anyway, the Stuff is Soo Intense that One or Two 12oz Bottles Was Like Drinking a Six Pack of Most "Good" Beer... Definately NOT For Guzzeling... But it Would Probably have been a Likely Contender for a Good Half N' Half... Maybe Third N' Two Thirds?...<Grin>...

qoSagh
Thought Master

« Reply #4 on: 06 02, 2005, 10:29: PM »

Bock Beer was a favorite of my mother's. It was usually only avalible in the fall. I don't know if this is folklore or the truth but I had heard the story that Bock is the last batch of beer made before the annual vat cleaning, and it is more flavorful because it has a years worth of "stuff" in it.

If you want a fine beer that is similar try Samiclaus, it is only made one day a year, on December 6th as a tribute to Saint Nicholas. One of the local liquor stores near me orders a few cases but is usually sold out due to special orders by the time it comes in. I have found a few bars that will serve it but they limit you to two per visit, this is partly because of the rarity and partly because it is 14% Alcohol. At one point it was the worlds strongest beer. It has ared color and a taste kind of like a dry sherry.

qoSagh qlIStIy
Abbot Nej vIt
Thought Master

« Reply #5 on: 06 03, 2005, 03:40: PM »

Interesting... I Have Heard other Similar Discussions about The "Dregs" of the Barrel Kinds of Beer... It makes Plenty of Sense that it would be the Most Flavorful... Which Brings up another Question...

For myself, I Do not Enjoy Eating While Drinking Beer... It ruins the Flavor of Both the Food and the Beer... Yet So Many People Swear By Beer and Pizza, Beer and BBQ etc... Now I Do Cook with Beer Occasionaly for the Flavor that it Adds and for its Tenderizing Properties... But I Just can not Quite Enjoy Eating And Drinking at the Same time... I Usually End up Not Drinking anymore...

Anyone Else have a Preference on that?

qoSagh
Thought Master

« Reply #6 on: 06 03, 2005, 05:23: PM »

Actually I am the same way, I drink beer seperately from food myself. I find that the beer is not nearly as tasty or refreshing with food, and as I eat and try to avoid the effected beer, I end up more thirsty from the dry food.

qoSagh qlIStIy
Qeytok
Courier

« Reply #7 on: 05 10, 2006, 12:55: PM »

I'm like that too, I don't like drinking beer/larger with food, both end up tasting wrong. Coke is my prefered eating drink.

Going back to Snakebite, I used to drink Pink Panthers, which where also known as Snakebite and Black, basically Snakebite with blackcurrent consentrate. It's one of thoes nice sweet drinks, goes down like candy but does the effect needed Smiley, But if at a party as a klingon might be good to drink, nice deep red colour, could be a nice substitute bloodwine option Smiley.

But have targ sized asprin ready for the morning after Wink

Commander Qeytok
Chief Engineer
USS Endeavour NCC-71805
Federation/Klingon Rapid Response Fleet
SoplaHtaHwI'
Senior Strategist

yuchvaD vIqvaD je jIyIn

« Reply #8 on: 06 07, 2006, 08:17: AM »

There is actually a beer that is marketed as "Klingon beer".
I've not tasted it though...

For wornagh I'd go for either Bush or indeed a Bock.

qa'pIn [SoplaHtaHwI'] qI'meQ vIghro''a'
yuch betleH 'obe' la'quv
Khemorex-Klinzhai member, IKEF member
Dishonored Captain of the former spacecraft qaDwI' Doq
Khoroth
Newcomer

« Reply #9 on: 10 25, 2006, 01:10: PM »

Greetings.

There is a truly dark and heady brew available from Scotland called McEwans. This stuff is close to 9%alc/vol and is an extremely potent and somewhat sweet drink - Worthy of a Klingon!  Smiley
qoSagh
Thought Master

« Reply #10 on: 11 29, 2006, 10:49: AM »

Well it appears that Cains of Liverpool no longer makes the Klingon Export Beer. From that Rate Beer site, it didn't look like it got very good reviews.

qoSagh qlIStIy
chalvatlh
Klingon formerly Known as Fraek
Discoursing Diplomat

In order to succeed, you must enjoy eating poison!

« Reply #11 on: 11 30, 2006, 09:56: AM »

Well it appears that Cains of Liverpool no longer makes the Klingon Export Beer. From that Rate Beer site, it didn't look like it got very good reviews.
Besides that:  4.5%!?  Now, I'm not much for inebriation and so I am no expert on alcohol, but whether that's in volume or weight percentage that's pretty mild for a Klingon.  It may do for the Ellwasser version, but certainly not Romulan Ale!
nlaing
Novice

« Reply #12 on: 08 03, 2008, 03:34: AM »

CnP'd From another thread:
I am a beginer brewer.
Ale is brewed in warmer temperatures (~70f) and I would think makes for a good Klingon brew.
I recently made a Scottish type brew that was very dark due to a massive amount of grain and unrefined malt.
It came out Sweet and "bread-y" not very hoppy or citrus-like at all.
It's also 8%alc! good Start for Klingon Brew!

What are the qualifiacations Klingon beer should have?

I assume Dark and Robust with high alc - but what about secondary flavors? spices maybe, cardamon? high aromatic like Cinnimon?
Kaga
Scribe

« Reply #13 on: 08 03, 2008, 12:58: PM »

I completely agree with your interpretation of Klingon beer being dark and robust with a high alcohol content (that last part goes without saying  Cheesy)... I envision an exceedingly strong beer, maybe resembling a dark porter or a stout. That could be the "Black Ale" mentioned in the books. "Warnog", as seen in the shows, is clear-ish, and is thus an entirely different style of brew.

I'm not sure most Klingons would bother with secondary flavorings like cinnamon or cardamom... on the other hand, these might serve to disguise the taste of truly nasty booze, of the type even Klingons wouldn't enjoy.

I have an interesting idea for a Black Ale... to distinguish it from just a normal porter or stout on Earth, and to make it more "alien", why not brew it without hops, the way it was done in medieval times? Monks and brewers in the Middle Ages made ales called Gruit Ales, where instead of hops they used various combinations of herbs to flavor the beer, the most common being sweet gale, mugwort, and yarrow. Every brewery had their own secret recipe for the herb mix they brewed their beer with. Hops eventually overtook other herbs because of its preservative effects, but the way I see it, Klingon beer wouldn't need to be preserved for very long, for two reasons: first off, the higher alcohol content, and secondly, the fact that it was probably drunk as soon as it left the carboy.  Cheesy
K'Voth
Senior Courier

« Reply #14 on: 08 25, 2008, 08:46: PM »

On the subject of Half & Half.......There is a drink I have had several times at our local Irish pubs called a Snakebite, which is half Harp and half Cider, it is quite good,

Out of interest what is harp? As in my local a snakebite is just under a pint of Cider (around 500ml) with a shot of Blackcurrent cordial in it. I have always thought of Klingon beer as a cross between a Brains Dark ( A Welsh beer that is very dark and thcik)  and Super Tennants (Scottish uh lager i guess. 9% alc)

Captain K'Voth
IKS Praxis Ascendant
Federation/Klingon RRF
Kesvirit
Her Nibbs
Administrator
Thought Master

That which does not kill me, must have missed me.

« Reply #15 on: 08 25, 2008, 09:09: PM »

Harp is just a pale lager beer brewed by Guinness. I've heard it described as being among the most American of beers (considering it comes from Ireland, this is NOT not a compliment) in that "it tastes like that generic American watered-down cat piss they drink over there." I get the impression that it is something usually used in mixed drinks and not drunk straight.

-=- Kesvirit the Teetotaller

Richard the Sound Guy: "And the next person to lecture me about canon risks getting shot out of one! Right, gaffers?"
Gaffers make appreciative and supportive remarks in the form of bad imitations of primate calls from the direction of the lighting grids.
K'Voth
Senior Courier

« Reply #16 on: 08 26, 2008, 09:37: AM »

lol, sounds awful lol. There is something over here which is simply titled Pale ale which sounds similar and just as revolting.

Captain K'Voth
IKS Praxis Ascendant
Federation/Klingon RRF
SoplaHtaHwI'
Senior Strategist

yuchvaD vIqvaD je jIyIn

« Reply #17 on: 08 26, 2008, 06:04: PM »

Ah... Beer...
A good Belgian 9+% is what makes it most likely worthy of a Klingon.
I am going towards Meads now though... "Drachenblut", a mead with chili extract in it would make a warrior's drink...

qa'pIn [SoplaHtaHwI'] qI'meQ vIghro''a'
yuch betleH 'obe' la'quv
Khemorex-Klinzhai member, IKEF member
Dishonored Captain of the former spacecraft qaDwI' Doq
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: