Klingon Imperial Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
02 25, 2018, 05:47: PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Realtime chats are now following a freeform schedule.  If you would like to chat with you fellows please see the It's Talk Time thread for more info or to schedule a chat.
11896 Posts in 1665 Topics by 691 Members
Latest Member: jackusopiffeza
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  Klingon Imperial Forums
|-+  Klingon Guilds
| |-+  Klingon Imperial Costumers Guild
| | |-+  Pins, Jewelry & Badges
| | | |-+  Belt buckles - materials
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Belt buckles - materials  (Read 21460 times)
qoSagh
Warrior Bard of the Ontological
Thought Master

« on: 04 23, 2005, 02:10: PM »

My belt buckel is resin and has held up for close to 10 years now. I think this is due to two factors. First is workmanship, mine was made by a member of my former club, who is actually an infrequent contributor to these forums. His workmanship is second to none, as he takes great care to reduce or eliminate the air bubles found in most resin casts. Second is the style that was designed/engineered over a period of time by several of us making requests. The buckel is not load bearing in the way most are. In stead of a loop to attach to the belt and a pin to go through holes on the belt, this one has two loops that the belt slides through. Both loops are made of a single piece of metal that was sunk into the wet resin, and is now not removable. I wear it with a velcro belt I bought at a police supply store years ago, the buckel is decorative as the velcro holds the belt closed. I know of at least two of us who wore this type of buckle with different belts and never had a failure.

qoSagh qlIStIy
meycha of the qaptaQ www.qaptaQ.org
Prothonotary of the Desert Rite
"I would kill the children of a thousand planets, just to see you smile."
Abbot Nej vIt
Highly Opinionated Klingon
Thought Master

"I Will Take the Conquerer Ceasers Salad... Now!"

« Reply #1 on: 04 23, 2005, 05:05: PM »

Ok... Here is Part Two, And Why I Love Metal For My Gear... My Armour is Made of Heavy Duty Leather and Steel... It Is Burly and Chunky and I Love it... The Spine is Steel, And Makes a Lovely "Clinking" Sound When I WalK... Which is Neither Here Nor There, But The Buckle I Have, Besides Being Sturdy, is Also Steel, so with the Thick Leather Belt that it Attaches to, it Gives it a Very Solid Look... Any way if the Whole Club Had Similar Buckles we would Look a Little More in Uniform, Since Some of these Folks are Currently Still Putting their Gear together...

Archbishop Nej vIt SutaI-H'Nter,
Spiritual Advisor to K.L.A.W. 4th Fleet,
Abbot, Dugh toy'wI' Library
KAllen
Klingon Conversationalist

« Reply #2 on: 04 28, 2005, 02:59: PM »

My belt buckle is made of wood.  It was like 1/4" x 4" basswood.  Its a soft wood, not like pine but harder than balsa.  I just made a pattern from the ones I could get pix from and cut it out.  Its 5" across the top and 3" across the bottom, and angled down just like on TV.  I cut holes in it for the "knobs" and bought some rounded circles from Michaels or Hobby Lobby (can't remember which) and glued them in.  I have made at least 3 like this and everyone holds up fine and doesn't give or break.  I painted the "knobs" w/ silver metallic paint and the edge w/ gold metallic.  In pix it really looks like metal.

Oh, I attach it to the buckle of an Army pistol belt (black) with a velcro so I can put the belt on easy and then just slap the buckle on.  I also use a nylon handcuff case for holding things like my wallet, keys, tarq snacks, matrix of leadership...ya know stuff like that.  

Lt.Col. K'Allen sutai-bortaS
Marine Commander aboard the IKV Bayou Serpent
Member of the IKV Bayou Serpent
House Cha'diCH to the House of bortaS
Abbot Nej vIt
Thought Master

« Reply #3 on: 04 29, 2005, 01:35: AM »

I Have seen some Great Wooden Buckles in the Past... As well as Very Well Made Resin... My Issues with Holding Up include, Paint Scratches, and The Buckle "Popping" off of the Belt, Etc... And Since Most of my Other Gear is Either Metal or Leather I Like to Maintain the Continuity where Possible... Which Brings up the Other Option For Folks out there, Which IS Leather, I Have Seen Decent Leather Belt Buckles as well as Kewl Leather Pins...

qoSagh
Warrior Bard of the Ontological
Thought Master

« Reply #4 on: 04 29, 2005, 04:27: AM »

I have had problems with paint scratches on most of my pieces including the two buckles I have owned. I have found the best protection against this is the paint job itself. I used to use oil based model paints, over primer. After a few years my buckle had seen better days so I sanded off as much paint as I could and re-primed it. This time I use very inexpensive acrylic paints from a hobby store. I think they cost a whole 99 cents for a bottle which is nowhere near used up. Three coats later the paint was done, and I then clear coated the whole thing with a spray. Since doing that on a few pieces I have discovered they hold up well not only to wear but they transport well too.

qoSagh qlIStIy
meycha of the qaptaQ www.qaptaQ.org
Prothonotary of the Desert Rite
"I would kill the children of a thousand planets, just to see you smile."
Abbot Nej vIt
Thought Master

« Reply #5 on: 05 01, 2005, 02:54: PM »

qoSagh,

That is a Good Tip... I Also use Simple Hobby Paint over Primer and Spray Clear Coat... But would Love to See more Metal Work in General...

Qurras
One Post Wonder

« Reply #6 on: 04 04, 2011, 01:27: AM »

I see that it has been quite awhile since anyone has posted here so I thought a few lines might be in order. As of an hour ago newmoonsprops is no longer taking orders. Second I guess since I'm a scale modeler I've found sheet styrine works very well. It's firely easy to work with, A sharp knief i.e. X-acto, some files or extra sand paper and filler, just to put that final touch on it. I used hanger wire to make a loop that went over my belt buckel. Done. Takes a couple of days work, but whats a little hand crafting to a Klingon Warrior.  Right now I'm making a new one for a new uniform. Last one couldn't be found after my last move.  Sick
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: