Klingon Imperial Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
11 22, 2014, 10:22: PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
The boards are having problems with email. We are advising members to set your secret questions and answers in case the board can't send email to let you reset lost passwords.
11659 Posts in 1603 Topics by 670 Members
Latest Member: Rygar
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  Klingon Imperial Forums
|-+  Klingon Arts and Media
| |-+  Klingon Arts and Music
| | |-+  Klingon Music and Lyrics
| | | |-+  Klingon music
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Klingon music  (Read 27910 times)
SoplaHtaHwI'
Senior Strategist

yuchvaD vIqvaD je jIyIn

« Reply #25 on: 08 06, 2008, 12:33: PM »

The Boran (Spelling?) drum is a good noise that would probably go with Klingon Themed music
the proper spelling is (I believe) Bodhrán

not only is it reasonably bass heavy its tone alters. I think it is used in Clannad music quite allot although they themselves couldn't be less Klingon if they tried. As for terran Music that would sound klingonesque i would suggest,

Slam - Biohazard
Some of the music from braveheart could work well
Look to your orb for the warning - Monster magnet
Dali - Martin grech.

There are a few more but i cant think of them off the top of my head
The bodhrán is a staple instrument in Celtic/Folk music throughout europe...
And I have recently found a band from scandinavia who, were it not for the new-fangled musical accompanyment, could be bomwI' tlhIngan (Klingon singers)

(cannot name them now, because last.fm is blocked from work...)

qa'pIn [SoplaHtaHwI'] qI'meQ vIghro''a'
yuch betleH 'obe' la'quv
Khemorex-Klinzhai member, IKEF member
Dishonored Captain of the former spacecraft qaDwI' Doq
K'Voth
Senior Courier

« Reply #26 on: 08 06, 2008, 01:15: PM »

Thanks, i have wondered the correct spelling for a while.

Thats true of the Celtic Folk although in some branches wind instuments are pretty prevalant. some of the the traditional scottish stuff, involves Bagpipes and Drums. I could of course be wrong but as far as i have been told it was originally to make sure ones advancing army could be heard and therefore intimidating at long range.

The band you mention sound interesting I shall try googing scadinavian Folk and see what turns up

Captain K'Voth
IKS Praxis Ascendant
Federation/Klingon RRF
SoplaHtaHwI'
Senior Strategist

yuchvaD vIqvaD je jIyIn

« Reply #27 on: 08 06, 2008, 02:26: PM »

Thanks, i have wondered the correct spelling for a while.

Thats true of the Celtic Folk although in some branches wind instuments are pretty prevalant. some of the the traditional scottish stuff, involves Bagpipes and Drums. I could of course be wrong but as far as i have been told it was originally to make sure ones advancing army could be heard and therefore intimidating at long range.

The band you mention sound interesting I shall try googing scadinavian Folk and see what turns up
That use of wind instruments like the bagpipe would certainly make sense with that goal in mind... 8-)
The band name (I've found it now) is Krauka. They are Danish, and in fact, the contemporary music I though I heard apparently is authentic (or so their last.fm page tells me)

qa'pIn [SoplaHtaHwI'] qI'meQ vIghro''a'
yuch betleH 'obe' la'quv
Khemorex-Klinzhai member, IKEF member
Dishonored Captain of the former spacecraft qaDwI' Doq
K'Voth
Senior Courier

« Reply #28 on: 08 06, 2008, 07:02: PM »

Cheers i shall look them up, although come to think about it there is a band (german i belive) who uses Electric Bagpipes (!?) Their name is Schelmish. The song in particular that I am thinking of is Marionette (Although sometimes i have seen it listed as Die Marionette). I don't know why it makes me think of klingon music but there we go lol.

Captain K'Voth
IKS Praxis Ascendant
Federation/Klingon RRF
Kehlan
Senior Strategist

« Reply #29 on: 08 07, 2008, 03:52: AM »

Theoretically at least, Bagpipes are not allowed to be played in churches as they are classed as a weapon of war.....  I suspect that Klingons might appreciate that!

Kehlan

Captain Kehlan
USS Endeavour NCC-71805
Federation/Klingon Rapid Response Fleet
K'Voth
Senior Courier

« Reply #30 on: 08 07, 2008, 05:29: AM »

A weapon of war? I certainly approve lol.

K'Voth

Captain K'Voth
IKS Praxis Ascendant
Federation/Klingon RRF
Floris Schonfeld
Scribe

« Reply #31 on: 10 04, 2008, 01:33: PM »

Greetings,

Although I am no authority on modern Klingon music, I have done some research into Klingon opera and traditional battle music.

What strikes me is that the core principle of these forms of Klingon music is conflict rather than harmony.

The sense of timing and the attitudes of the performers have a lot in common with the Japanese traditional Nô and Kabuki theatrical music.

A further reference was music of the Mauri and those of certain Papua New Guinean tribes.

K'Voth
Senior Courier

« Reply #32 on: 12 10, 2008, 09:21: AM »

That seems fair, on a different note thinking of Klingon music or music with a klingon bent, i was wandering around last fm and found Kosmic Horror, a german band (I suppose the best classification would be industrial metal) and rather then it full filling my expectations of rather cliched and badly executed metal i found it to be really rather good. (If you happen to be a fan of the genre) As the album is a concept album there is some tracts that could be considered by some as somewhat superfluous  fortunately they are only 5 such tracks and they are only short as well. Large tracts of it are in Klingon (tlhIngan Hol) All in all i think it is worth checking out.

Captain K'Voth
IKS Praxis Ascendant
Federation/Klingon RRF
Hod Qhi
Scribe

« Reply #33 on: 01 19, 2009, 01:13: AM »

I must be the only person here that things Metal is not the place to go for Klingon Music. I always pictured Klingon Music as being rather rolling with a lot of bass tones and an under laying beat like crashing waves. I can't put a style to it but Metal strikes me as laregely being too fast
K'Voth
Senior Courier

« Reply #34 on: 01 21, 2009, 12:10: PM »

True enough, although I am guessing that there are variables. The music that accompanied worfs wedding was deeply bass heavy drum music, more of a beat then anything else. Howerver I have read in varouis of the book series taht klingon music in that example is rather thrashy and discordant

Captain K'Voth
IKS Praxis Ascendant
Federation/Klingon RRF
qoSagh
Warrior Bard of the Ontological
Thought Master

« Reply #35 on: 03 07, 2009, 02:51: PM »

I certainly do not think that metal is the only place to go for Klingon music. Think of the variety that we have in human music, why should it be any less so among Klingons? I think that some metal bands would definitely be pleasing to the Klingon ear, as would some Celtic bands and other sources.

I think there would also be a bardic tradition among Klingons that might be either A Capella or accompanioed by very minimal instrumentation. I do also think that there would be an art form to music battles that would be forceful and include very heavy drums and wind instruments.

qoSagh qlIStIy
meycha of the qaptaQ www.qaptaQ.org
Prothonotary of the Desert Rite
"I would kill the children of a thousand planets, just to see you smile."
j'onn
Newcomer

« Reply #36 on: 03 01, 2010, 02:35: PM »

Stovokor and Rojqoq are an interesting choice of examples. Of everything I’ve heard described as Klingon, the two could not be farther apart.

Stovokor. Feh. Generic, mediocre death metal with a Klingon schtick. Incense would have to be imported from outside the Empire to drown out the stench of testotargh. The warmed-over space-biker stereotype was trite fifteen years ago and gives Klindom a bad name.

Excuse me while I go capture that rampaging peeve.

Rojqoq: ‘So-Called Peace’ is quite clever in using the tlhIngan Hol to emphasize different aspects of a hopelessly ridiculous peace agreement, as in “Just who do we think we’re fooling here?” It is posted with an English translation and available as an mp3 download.

Musician/engineer Bill Sethares experiments with musical scale divisions, harmonics, and what I guess you’d call experimental mathematics to produce pieces that actually sound plausibly non-Human alien, as opposed to taking common metal or electronica and slapping a Klingon bumper sticker on it. As such, some of his music may sound a bit “off”. Read his short-and-simple page on speculative exomusicality. He has a page of downloads here. I recommend them to those who want to explore past the mundane and formulaic. Bill, if you ever come across this, I would really like to hear are more acoustic compositions!

As for Klingon opera, it is often referred to, but I have yet to come across an example or description. The subject is wide open for anyone with an interest in music and a good imagination.  Anyone who wants to take a stab at it, please start a new thread for it.

Thank you for saying some of that.  I've always been not so impressed with most attempts at constructing Klingon music.  I hadn't heard of Bill's work before--thanks for the link.  That's a much more interesting take.

As for an acoustic composition--and one that is an attempt at an example of what that might sound like, I had written a piece that I've referenced as being a part of the Klingon Opera Kahless and Lukasa, titled "be' joy' Lukasa", which is supposed to be an initiation ritual dance into the Brotherhood of the Batleth.  An excerpt from a live performance we did of it a couple of weeks ago at a convention may be heard at this here:
http://www.troubadore.com/audio/be-joy-Lukasa_excerpt.mp3

It had been designed as a dance piece for a bellydancer (which we had perform with us there) so many of the rhythms are actual Middle Eastern rhythms (bare rhythms without the ornamental fills), but there are so many vocal styles around the world I always thought it was ridiculous to focus on vocal styles from such a narrow range of genres available in the pop/rock music industry.  That was only our second performance--the first was the previous night during a Fire Dance show and we have to sort out the pronunciation of the lyrics still and tweak the structure a bit.  But I think it wasn't a bad run considering I had taught my other band mates the song the day before and they had never heard evena  recorded draft of the piece.

I will say that writing be' joy' Lukasa has inspired me to try my hand at writing a full length Klingon Opera--and while I do appreciate the Klingon Terran Reseach Ensemble attempts at re-creating what they think is a Klingon Opera, my take will not be anything like theirs.
K'Voth
Senior Courier

« Reply #37 on: 03 25, 2010, 10:43: AM »

Thinking aloud, one thing I would ask would be what the Klingon response to Prog rock would be. All the things said about opera and a story telling tradition just reminded me of Prog, Owing to the heavily varied (instrumentally speaking) arraignments and heavily story/conceptual elements of a large cross section of the genre. Especially owing to the at times discordant at times heavily melodic and diverse nature of large amounts of the examples available. Such as 45 minute long songs that tell a particularly story or impart some other image.

I think this may fit in well with a varied approach to musical culture that a formally tribal and still conflict based culture would involve. As speaking from a Terran point of view Loud, Heavy and drum laden works well to impart violence and melodic, slow and or mournful fits well with evoking images of an aftermath or love lost. I agree whole heartedly with the idea that Klingon music would be as varied as any pan global culture would be, as with our own, But on a nurochemical level things still fire off the same neurological responses in the same biological strata's that they are designed to affect.

Captain K'Voth
IKS Praxis Ascendant
Federation/Klingon RRF
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: