Klingon Imperial Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
12 12, 2017, 02:39: AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Realtime chats are now following a freeform schedule.  If you would like to chat with you fellows please see the It's Talk Time thread for more info or to schedule a chat.
11894 Posts in 1664 Topics by 689 Members
Latest Member: regdun234
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  Klingon Imperial Forums
|-+  General Discussions
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  Official KIDC/KIF Patch?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Official KIDC/KIF Patch?  (Read 15143 times)
D'Ghor epetai-Darj
Courier

Line Lord of House Darj

« Reply #25 on: 09 03, 2008, 03:44: AM »

Well I'll see about throwing something together and send it in for everyone to view...

Sogh D'Ghor vestai-Darj
CO IKV SuvwI'po' (Skilled Warriors)
KAG Stormrider Fleet Quartermaster
Ship's Website
Kesvirit
Her Nibbs
Administrator
Thought Master

That which does not kill me, must have missed me.

« Reply #26 on: 09 21, 2008, 09:15: AM »

qoSagh:   I have not retired from anything. I just haven't had much to post about lately I actually lurk without loggin in at least every other day. That and I have been cursed with living in "Interesting Times" lately.

A rare occasion in which I am pleased to be contradicted.

As for the patch, I made an effort not to dominate the thread and had actually hoped that there would be another design or two posted to choose from.

As to dominating the thread: it is those who speak who are heard. Those who speak frequently tend to gain control of the thread. Those who object to this can easily put a stop to it by speaking up instead of being passive bystanders.

As much as Klingons are not all that democratic, the forums are a bit more so. I guess this design is the presumptive candidate at this point.

Yes, democracy.... Some would consider it to be an ideal, but it never works in practice. If you try to please everyone you will end up pleasing no one, so an executive decision must be made eventually by Klythe and myself. However, I would like to get as much input as possible. Unless Klythe wants to challenge me for the privilege, I will distribute the results.

Kaz and D’ghor, I would be most pleased to see your designs. I believe that we can come closest to pleasing everybody who participates by mixing and matching features of the different submitted designs.

Setting aside for a moment the issues design and production, there are at least two other factors that need to be addressed:

- Cost. I have no idea how much an individual patch would cost, particularly once any bulk discounts we may be eligible for have been applied. I hate to charge members for what amounts to their own service medals, but the KIDC cannot help with funding and no one Admin can foot the bill. Suggestions for funding? We could try an auction, but IIRC Kehlan’s results there have been disappointing. Can someone from K.L.A.W. 4th, KAG, etc. tell us how they come up with awards without charging dues?

- Eligibility. At this point I recommend we go for a single patch based on post count. We don’t have the numbers to make it worthwhile to issue a separate rocker patch for each posting rank. If enough people get into it, we could issue a rocker patch for each year of KIF membership or something. But for now we’d do best to get the one patch designed, made, and distributed before taking on further projects. }}: / 
   Does 50 posts, at which one is promoted to Senior Courier, sound reasonable? Or 40, the point at which the first page of the  list of members by post count currently ends? Both are arbitrary numbers, but... *shrug*  I’m looking at the list of members for some sort of count pattern, but I don’t have the brains to find a median post count. Even if someone were to come up with one, the results would be misleading: many posters never found their way back after the Great Crash of Aug 2003, and I had to install proxy accounts to get their posts up and have no contact information for them. Many, many posts and threads were also lost, so current counts aren't reflective of overall participation.

If and when this project actually gets going, I can set up a separate subforum so that design, costs, distribution, etc can be discussed separately. There will be some spillover from one thread to the next, but this one is getting hard to follow as it is.
« Last Edit: 09 21, 2008, 09:31: AM by Kesvirit » Logged

Richard the Sound Guy: "And the next person to lecture me about canon risks getting shot out of one! Right, gaffers?"
Gaffers make appreciative and supportive remarks in the form of bad imitations of primate calls from the direction of the lighting grids.
qoSagh
Warrior Bard of the Ontological
Thought Master

« Reply #27 on: 11 02, 2008, 09:21: PM »

Cost is a factor, but it tends to go down with quantity. If this is something that will have long term use, it may well be worth investing in a larger quantity to bring the price per piece down a bit.

As for how it is given out, that depends on what it is actually going to stand for. Will it be for participation in and of itself or for some standard of participation?

I would think that as we are a small and select group, without a treasury, that the award winner might have to buy these from the organization. The actual price can be kept in the $5 or less range, very easily.

So lets see these other designs........

qoSagh qlIStIy
meycha of the qaptaQ www.qaptaQ.org
Prothonotary of the Desert Rite
"I would kill the children of a thousand planets, just to see you smile."
Kehlan
Senior Strategist

« Reply #28 on: 11 02, 2008, 11:41: PM »

Just a thought, but what about adding a dollar per patch and having that dollar go to a designated charity?

Captain Kehlan
USS Endeavour NCC-71805
Federation/Klingon Rapid Response Fleet
K'Voth
Senior Courier

« Reply #29 on: 11 10, 2008, 05:16: PM »

Sounds perfectly acceptable to me, although i would ask if the place of purchase would be open to paypal as my finances don't allow for Dollars to be gained easilly.

Captain K'Voth
IKS Praxis Ascendant
Federation/Klingon RRF
Tlaura
Scribe

« Reply #30 on: 04 03, 2013, 11:44: PM »

Is anyone still pursuing this? I would love it to become reality.
qoSagh
Thought Master

« Reply #31 on: 04 04, 2013, 04:08: PM »

Even the back burner is kept turned on low heat. However as the forums went through a period of inactivity and there were never any other designs, I kind of push this project onto simmer. IT would be easy enough to start up again, just by asking and discussing it.

qoSagh qlIStIy
Tlaura
Scribe

« Reply #32 on: 04 04, 2013, 07:51: PM »

Indeed. Others post your support!
QorroQ
Scribe

The Dark One

« Reply #33 on: 12 05, 2013, 02:46: AM »

You know I was thinking as I read this that you could make a armband instead of a patch. You know like those that the mourners sometimes wear. I think you could put the patch or whatever design you wanted on the outside of the band. Also you could make the band itself a different color for different ranks and whatnot. That way no one has to sew on, or iron on any patches, you would simply tie the armband. Anyway I have no experience in this area so I will not be offended at any comments. Feel free to hack away.

QorroQ

Duty...Strength...Sacrifice
qoSagh
Thought Master

« Reply #34 on: 12 08, 2013, 01:49: PM »

The arm band is an interesting idea, and it would work with a variety of uniforms. There is of course a great deal of anti-armband sentiment simply because the NAZI's also wore them. This is small thinking considering that the red cross and other relief workers wear them also, and did so in the same war. If designed differently enough in style they could be made to look rather Klingon and less 20th century human.

I can see using vinyl like what most Klingon uniforms are made of, with a single patch sewn on the arm band. I would stay away from grey and black simply because those would blend in with too many uniforms. Brown might be a problem for the same reason, although less of one.

Off hand I can see using Red, Yellow, Blue & Green (The original colors of the komerex stella) to start with, and then see what other colors are available and how many we actually need. Colors could even have additional uses if some other feature like braided piping were used on the edges. Thus the main colors could be for groups (or at least pairs) of ranks with maybe gold and silver as the qualifiers.

Of course all this still needs the initial logo/patch to be made. so we might just be back at square one.

qoSagh qlIStIy
Klythe
ngem Sargh lIghwI' pagh cha'
Administrator
Thought Master

When a show of teeth doesn't work, bite deeply.

« Reply #35 on: 12 19, 2013, 02:33: AM »

Hmmm.  That is a great idea.  Whichever emblem is ultimately used, it would be good if it was available as a patch, or a pin-on emblem perhaps for baldricks, sashes, command cloaks and arm bands.  But that would likely add to production costs.
qoSagh
Thought Master

« Reply #36 on: 12 20, 2013, 12:40: AM »

My thoughts would be a single embroidered patch. This way we could make a large enough order to be economical. This patch could be worn on a variety of items. I would say that it would come with a sort of uniform code of it's own, as to how it would be displayed in the different settings. Considering that if it were worn on a green armband for a certain rank, that would be fine, but if added to a silver honor sash, it might not be displayed on a green background. Such things could get tedious if not done carefully.

Another thought that is somewhat against armbands, at least on certain arms, is the wearing of house symbols, or communicator pins on the upper arms. Ideally we would not want this patch to interfere with any other uniform items. However I can see such conflicts no matter where the patch is placed, so we would probably want a few options.

qoSagh qlIStIy
Commander Kurn
Scribe

« Reply #37 on: 12 03, 2015, 12:44: AM »

I have an idea in regards to Rank identification on the patches, but I'm not sure yet if it would be acceptable to the group or exactly how in practice it would work. the idea is to give the patches a specific color coding for a specific rank around the outside edging. Colors such as blue for lowest rank and gold for the admiral level members. would this idea be usable? it's just a thought and I know I'm only a new member here, but am hoping my idea could be useful to the group... somehow. 
qoSagh
Thought Master

« Reply #38 on: 12 29, 2015, 12:56: AM »

Thanks for the thread necromancy. I always liked this idea. I think I long ago lost the sample artwork I had for this project.

I play an online game now that has ranks of Bronze, Silver, Gold, Platinum, and Onyx for medals in the game. Now I am not sure how to effectively differentiate silver and platinum in fabric, or how to make onyx not just be another black, but if given the original colors of Red, Green, Blue and Yellow (I forgot to add yellow in my post from a couple of years ago) and with the 5 metallic qualifiers, that would give us potentially 20 different armbands.

The real fun here is I am not sure we still have 20 active members of the forums, and in my case it has been a long time since I put on my Klingon uniform. So the relevance of this project might have passed into the sands of obscurity.

qoSagh qlIStIy
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: