Klingon Imperial Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
09 19, 2017, 05:34: PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
The boards are having problems with email. We are advising members to set your secret questions and answers in case the board can't send email to let you reset lost passwords.
11891 Posts in 1663 Topics by 679 Members
Latest Member: shaggy5483
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  Klingon Imperial Forums
|-+  Other Klingon-related Topics
| |-+  The Klingon Science Lab
| | |-+  Stellar Sciences
| | | |-+  Klingon Calendar
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Klingon Calendar  (Read 38270 times)
SoplaHtaHwI'
Senior Strategist

yuchvaD vIqvaD je jIyIn

« Reply #25 on: 03 27, 2008, 01:04: PM »

It has been a while since I tackled this project, and actually stumbled upon a reference that the Klingon year is 344 days long. It also mentions 28 hour days, but as I said before only a 24 hour day will really be useful to fans. The 344 day month is actually an easy change to make, it just means that New Years Day (or any other Honor Day) will not always be held on the same Terran day.
if a Imperial day is 28 hours long (assuming an hour is 60min/3600sec long), how long would that make an Imperial year of 344 days?
28*344 = 9 632 hours
9632 hours/24 makes just over 401 terran days.
Do Klingons have such a division as a month, and if so, how many do they have?
Or should we do like the Ethiopians and give the Klingons 20 months of 20-odd days?

qa'pIn [SoplaHtaHwI'] qI'meQ vIghro''a'
yuch betleH 'obe' la'quv
Khemorex-Klinzhai member, IKEF member
Dishonored Captain of the former spacecraft qaDwI' Doq
qoSagh
Warrior Bard of the Ontological
Thought Master

« Reply #26 on: 03 27, 2008, 10:23: PM »

Klingons do have months, at least 10 of them. And of those at least one has 43 or more days.

My initial goal was to make a religious calendar for the qaptaQ that would line up to a Terran calendar so that it would be easy for use in fandom. While researching something else about the calendar I cam up with the 344 day length. Which will make for a very interesting set of holidays once I get them all plotted out on the calendar I am making.

The main reason for using the 24 hour day (but still keeping the 344 day year) is so that midnight is always at the same time to make fandom use easier.

qoSagh qlIStIy
meycha of the qaptaQ www.qaptaQ.org
Prothonotary of the Desert Rite
"I would kill the children of a thousand planets, just to see you smile."
D'Ghor epetai-Darj
Courier

Line Lord of House Darj

« Reply #27 on: 01 07, 2010, 09:46: AM »

Klingons do have months, at least 10 of them. And of those at least one has 43 or more days.

My initial goal was to make a religious calendar for the qaptaQ that would line up to a Terran calendar so that it would be easy for use in fandom. While researching something else about the calendar I cam up with the 344 day length. Which will make for a very interesting set of holidays once I get them all plotted out on the calendar I am making.

The main reason for using the 24 hour day (but still keeping the 344 day year) is so that midnight is always at the same time to make fandom use easier.
You may just need to make your calendar the best you can and not even try to line it up with the terran calendar...like the lunar based calendars.

You could just come up with how the Klingon calendar is based upon what we know from cannon and then add it to a terran calendar. I have a calendar that is Gregorian but in each of the days there is the actual month and day for the Hebrew calendar. For example, today according to Gregorian is January 7, 2010 but according to the Hebrew Calendar it is Tevet 21, 5770.

The dates do not even come close to being the same or a match yet now one can tell what date it is based upon which calendar you want to go off of. This may make your efforts a bit more flexible.

Sogh D'Ghor vestai-Darj
CO IKV SuvwI'po' (Skilled Warriors)
KAG Stormrider Fleet Quartermaster
Ship's Website
qoSagh
Thought Master

« Reply #28 on: 01 09, 2010, 11:28: PM »

I have seen commercially available Hebrew calendars that do the same thing. That is kind of where I was going with my basic concept. A Klingon calendar that showed the conversion to Terran dates.

qoSagh qlIStIy
El Payaso Malo
Lettered Veteran

jaS jIvang-ghopwIj luQIHlu'chugh qIvonlIj vIpuplaH

« Reply #29 on: 04 15, 2012, 02:23: AM »

First, I am not so sure the Klingons would even have star dates.  Going on pure guess work here, I would suspect that federation star dates exist due to the need to administer what passes for an empire.  What purpose they actually serve is known only to Roddenberry and if we could ask him, I am sure that he would have at least as many explanations as he did for the Klingon forehead. 
“like star dates”  Of course but does it have to be fully compatible with the federation system?  If I am going to take the “purist” tack here, I would tend to believe that whatever the system is in the Empire, it was fully in place before contact with the federation had been established.  If you read my previous post further, I did advance a perfectly good system that meets that criteria.  It just was not a star date in the sense that the federation uses.

Stardates predate the Federation. In fact, Earth had to adapt to them to fit in. Klingons having stardates doesn't seem so farfetched.

From what I have gathered Qo'noS's star orbits a red giant that went supernova billions of years ago, destroying the planets that were in it's previous biosphere. Qo'noS had the good fortune to be in the new biosphere.   An older larger star like that will need to keep it's planets further away, giving them much longer years than younger stars, like our own.

Where did you find this information?

My original concept was for a system that was reasonably easy to convert, but not a strict replacement system. My original post was simply looking for any canon names for days or months that anyone had come across, the debate on the calendar system took off from there. Remember there was even one post that said Klingons wouldn't have months or weeks, so there is an awful lot of room for interpretation here. I have never been that far from my original concept of something that was intended for fans to use on a larger scale than simply a writers bible.

So, we have "Maktag," a month with at least 43 days. There's also "nay'Poq," the month in which the Klingon savior was fortold to be born.

-'IwwIjDaq 'oH veS.
-ngoQ ghajnISbe' vIq. vIq ngoQ 'oH vIq. qatlh ngej rop'a' bIghelbe' 'ej qatlh meQ yotlh bIghelbe'. jISuvDI' meqwIj vIQIj 'e' DaghelQo'.
-qul ngaDHa' 'oH QeHwIj 'ej vaHbo' pubbogh 'Iw 'oH QeHwIj. choHIvmo' qaSuvbe'. bIyIntaHmo' qaSuv.
qoSagh
Thought Master

« Reply #30 on: 02 29, 2016, 11:40: AM »

Well at the almost 4 year mark since last working on this project, I came across an interesting article: http://www.csmonitor.com/Science/2012/0229/Alien-calendars-would-probably-include-leap-year Not specifically about Klingons but about alien calendars in general having leap years, which was something I was planning on avoiding.

As an update, the main reason this project stopped was because of two aspects of it that were hard to make compatible. I still have most of my files on this but it became a major headache to plot the Honor Days (Holidays) on it and have them work out right. This is because I have the Terran dates that the Honor Days occurred on. However now knowing that it is a 344 day year, means developing a perpetual calendar first so that I know what TlhIngan day that corresponds to for a given year.  A good example would be New Years Day. My first calendar would start on 3/23/1967 (Terran) but that would only be 1/1/?Huh (TlhIngan) with 3/23 and 1/1 lining up once. It would take many years for that to happen again. Thus a date that is important in 1983(Terran) once converted to a TlhIngan date will not always fall on the same Terran date.

Somewhere I have my list of Honor Days, but of course there would be others that were specific to fandom. I imagine a large club like KAG would want to celebrate the day they were founded on, while that might not be all that important to the KSF or KLAW. However once a tlhIngan date is established, the Honor Day would stay with that date and be celebrated every 344 days not every 365 days. This would keep all celebrations annual and mean that known tlhIngan dates like Maktag 43 did not move.

qoSagh qlIStIy
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: