Klingon Imperial Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
12 11, 2017, 11:32: AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
The boards are having problems with email. We are advising members to set your secret questions and answers in case the board can't send email to let you reset lost passwords.
11894 Posts in 1664 Topics by 689 Members
Latest Member: regdun234
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  Klingon Imperial Forums
|-+  Klingon Guilds
| |-+  Klingon Imperial Costumers Guild
| | |-+  Cooling Costume Construction
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Cooling Costume Construction  (Read 8292 times)
Kesvirit
Her Nibbs
Administrator
Thought Master

That which does not kill me, must have missed me.

« on: 09 30, 2004, 02:58: PM »

In Costume Cooling, zan Klythe presents some excellent recommendations for keeping one's cool when engaged in battle with one's costume. Most have to do with fortifying the body against the added constriction and heat of the uniform. How can the design of the costume itself be modified to better aid circulation and release body heat? I know more of costume design than execution, but am thinking in terms of breathable construction materials, hidden vents, overlapping segments that increase convection as the wearer moves beneath them, etc.

-=- Kesvirit

Richard the Sound Guy: "And the next person to lecture me about canon risks getting shot out of one! Right, gaffers?"
Gaffers make appreciative and supportive remarks in the form of bad imitations of primate calls from the direction of the lighting grids.
Klythe
ngem Sargh lIghwI' pagh cha'
Administrator
Thought Master

When a show of teeth doesn't work, bite deeply.

« Reply #1 on: 09 30, 2004, 04:16: PM »

The Squirrel from "The Great Squirrel Hunt" told my of a cheetah mascot costume that was built with foam shapes that added definition to the suit and also acted like billows pushing air through the suit with each movement.   I will try to get more information on this, but it is probably not likely to work as well with a Klingon costume.   Anyone seen, or imagine any similar designs?
Kaz Son of Maktan
Klingon Conversationalist

« Reply #2 on: 04 30, 2006, 10:03: PM »

Hmm...here's my two cents:   If the grey/black base fabric of the vest/tunic to which the grey "leather" strips are sewn own,  were a strong mesh, net or lycra instead of broadcloth or wool, that would allow a lot of heat to escape.  I am still in the design phase of my uniform, but constantly thinking of the heat (and the impending summer sun), I have revised my design of a black dress undershirt (to which my fur sleeves are sewn) to having a lycra "V" in the center chest to which the metal mesh (officer variant) would snap onto to cover. Furthermore, I found this interesting fabric called furry fleece, that has the thickness of fleece, but a furry, short-haired  texture and a stretchiness that seems to reveal a good deal of venting in the knit. I am going to replace the regular fake fur for this on my sleeves. There you go.  Qapla'!   

Ars Brevis Vita Brevis
Kehlan
Senior Strategist

« Reply #3 on: 05 01, 2006, 06:25: AM »

I used canvas to sew my uniform onto.  also, another possibility is to use velcro to attach the sleeves instead of sewing them.  It works very well and it means that in a disco at a convention etc you can take off the sleeves and you have the sleeveless version of the uniform, (which we have seen on screen several times)

Kehlan

Captain Kehlan
USS Endeavour NCC-71805
Federation/Klingon Rapid Response Fleet
KAllen
Klingon Conversationalist

« Reply #4 on: 05 02, 2006, 05:01: PM »

My uniform is by far the coolest of my ships. The base of my tunic is made of denim with vinyl stripes sewn ontop.  It is also the heaviest, but it is the coolest.  Those that have 100% vinyl really suffer w/ the heat down here in LA.  I used to use a sweatshirt turned inside out for the sleaves, but I have since gotten one of those undershirts w/ the furry sleaves sewn on from the Star Trek Experience auction.  It makes my uniform that much cooler.

Now, my wife bought a Viking Woman uniform and uses pieces of it for her uniform.  She used to have a tunic that made her more impressive than Lursa & B'tor in the upper torso region. However it was 100%vinyl and way too hot for her liking.

Lt.Col. K'Allen sutai-bortaS
Marine Commander aboard the IKV Bayou Serpent
Member of the IKV Bayou Serpent
House Cha'diCH to the House of bortaS
qoSagh
Warrior Bard of the Ontological
Thought Master

« Reply #5 on: 05 03, 2006, 10:42: PM »

There are several products out there for wearing under (real life) body armor, that may be of use here. I know there is a series of garments called underarmor, which are now being sold in the athletic markets also. They wick away moisture and stay fairly dry, but are very tight against the skin, like spandex. They do work however. There are also a couple of mesh and ridged t-shirts out there that are designed to keep the armor away from the body to allow for ventilation. They seem like the theories are solid, but I have never used them.

Living in New England, I would be cautious about adding too much cooling into the costume for our hot summers only to regret it in our cold winters. So construction must be either adaptable for multiple seasons, or balanced to be as comfortable as possible for all seasons, if not for any one season.

qoSagh qlIStIy
meycha of the qaptaQ www.qaptaQ.org
Prothonotary of the Desert Rite
"I would kill the children of a thousand planets, just to see you smile."
qarSuv
Courier

« Reply #6 on: 08 11, 2007, 04:29: PM »

Folks,

How about Polar (www.polartec.com) materials? They do sell in small quantities, they have various types of fabric, for different purposes, insulation, ventilation etc.

Also, leather is a lot better than vinyl, for both looks and comfort.

Dream, grow and LIVE!
Klythe
ngem Sargh lIghwI' pagh cha'
Administrator
Thought Master

When a show of teeth doesn't work, bite deeply.

« Reply #7 on: 08 13, 2007, 09:30: PM »

The problem is leather can be very expensive, especially over an entire costume and isn't often available in grey, which is the color most on screen male costumes are.

Also, the bicycle shits/tactical tees/underarmour are apparently helpful both in cold weather and hot weather where it wicks the sweat away from your body.  They can be expensive, but sometimes can be found in thrift stores or perhaps on eBay.  These come highly recommended from fursuit wearers and builders, but I haven't tried it yet.   I'm not hurting so I might end up buying new.  $40 or so isn't that expensive for me, because I expect I'll get plenty of use out of it.
jwktrucker
Novice

Fandom Fabrications

« Reply #8 on: 01 10, 2010, 06:49: AM »

My Klingon Armors is made in strips alternating between fabric and leather/vinal allowing the garment to breath. The fabric parts on the sides are spandex so it has better flexibility too.

John Kuczwara
Fandom Fabrications

John Kuczwara, Fandom Fabrications
2526 Glenmawr Ave., Columbus, OH 43202
614-886-4843   
jwktrucker@gmail.com
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: