Klingon Imperial Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
08 23, 2017, 06:57: AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
The boards are having problems with email. We are advising members to set your secret questions and answers in case the board can't send email to let you reset lost passwords.
11880 Posts in 1662 Topics by 677 Members
Latest Member: Admiral Hart
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  Klingon Imperial Forums
|-+  Klingon Language & Culture
| |-+  Klingon Ceremonies, Rituals & Traditions
| | |-+  Warriors’ Rites & Traditions
| | | |-+  The Klingon martial art of Mok'bara
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Klingon martial art of Mok'bara  (Read 41829 times)
Ambassador Lady K'Zin
Forum Founder
Administrator
Klingon Conversationalist

Always trust your instincts!

« on: 10 09, 2003, 02:44: AM »

posted on 2-9-2003 at 08:35 AM

The Klingon martial art of Mok'bara

One of our forum members requested information regarding the ancient art of Mok'bara (sometimes also spelled as moQbara') in one of the other threads; but I decided that it would be best to start it as separate thread in the most appropriate area, as I can see this one extending into a potentially lengthy discussion...

My own family line, the House of Kasara, actually used to hold regular Mok'bara lessons/sessions here in Montreal. We had a gorgeous site for it, on top of an older and very elegant stone apartment building located on the slopes of Mount Royal, overlooking the rest of the city and the St. Lawrence River -- very inspiring. The rooftop had been "decked" over in large pale gray patio slates and a sort of outdoor "dojo" had been constructed with a pair of very oriental curving roofline "gates" at either end of the practice area, and an elevated area done in layers of patio stones (4' high) which almost resembled a throne area, from which one could sit back and watch the lessons as well as enjoy the view... It was.. well, very Zen!

As far as we know, we are the only house to have actually offered these lessons "in real life". As a result, you will see a reference to it on our family website http://www.housekasara.org/kasma.html, when referring to the KasMA, better known as the "Kasara School of Military Arts". In summary:

Mok'bara Classes

The KaSMA also offers a series of Mok'bara courses that are open to the general Klingon populace, as a public service to the Empire.

For the uninitiated, Mok'bara is an ancient form of martial art, that aids in the development of concentration, coordination, flexibility, strength and speed. It is widely practiced throughout the Empire by Klingons of all ages and genders. Most Klingons begin their introduction to Mok'bara at a very early age and continue receiving instruction in it throughout their lives.

Mok'bara participants traditionally wear a loose-fitting cream-white uniform, with a coloured shoulder stripe that denotes their skill level. After decades of instruction, practice, dedication and skill, only the highest level of Mok'bara veterans are finally recognized by the title of "Da'Har Master".

Other interesting facts concerning the "creation" of this particular martial art within the Star Trek universe:

* When the Mok'bara method was conceived, the writers came to Dan Curry (Co-Visual Effects Supervisor for TNG) who lent his expertise to the design and use of the Klingon bat'leth. He designed the movements seen within Mok'bara and coached actor Michael Dorn. Whenever 'Worf' is seen doing Mok'bara exercises, Curry is off-camera doing them as well, to help visually guide the actor on-camera. Curry studied with both Thai and Chinese instructors and holds a black belt in Tae Kwon Do and Korean martial arts.

* According to the Star Trek Encyclopedia: Mok'bara is a ritual Klingon martial-arts form, resembling terrestrial tai chi.  Worf taught a Mok'bara class to his Enterprise-D shipmates most mornings at 0700.  ("Man of the People" [TNG]).  Worf taught the Mok'bara to his fellow captives at the secret Romulan prison camp in the Carraya System in 2369.  The exercises, designed to enhance one's agility in hand-to-hand combat, helped to revive the dormant warrior spirit among the captives there.  ("Birthright, Part II" [TNG]).

* An excerpt from the Mup'wi, the newsletter of the Klingon Imperial Weapons Guild:
The Mok'bara or Klingon fighting style requires weapons that have a certain *flowing* quality to them. In all of the blades seen there is always a scimitar like shape. You rarely see straight edges accept in small knives. In a study of similar cultures who used edged weapons there is always an axe or axe-like implement. The feudal Japanese who the Klingons are most often compared to used several types of axes for tools and for weapons. With the right type of design, this style of weapon could be quite formidable in the hands of an accomplished Klingon Warrior. According to Okrand the traditional Klingon warrior's arsenal included the ax, an implement with heavy, flattened blade mounted crosswise at the end of a handle. The general term for ax is 'obmaQ. Its handle is its DeS and its blade is its ghIt. (Okrand's Klingon for the Galactic Traveler)
For the primary blade I chose a shape similar to the bat'leth's main blade. The sweeping arch will enhance the natural moves of the Mok'bara. In order to keep the weight of the weapon down the blade itself was given a thin profile and this portion of the axe is offset to place the cutting edge of the blade in the same alignment as the bat'leth's main blade when held in one hand.

Willl post more info on this topic in the future, as my very rare free time might permit...

~ Ambassador Lady K'Zin

Administrator,
Klingon Imperial Forums, KIDC
tmk1000
Old Guard

« Reply #1 on: 10 09, 2003, 02:47: AM »

posted on 2-17-2003 at 07:53 PM

Where can I get a Star Trek Encyclopedia?
I have not seen them in the store but maybe I am just not looking in the right place. Please help me Sad

{ro'qegh'Iwchab HInob.}

"May your coordinates be free of tribbles."
   {QuvlIjDaq yIH tu'be'lu'jaj.}
Ambassador Lady K'Zin
Forum Founder
Administrator

Always trust your instincts!

« Reply #2 on: 10 09, 2003, 03:00: AM »

posted on 2-17-2003 at 08:11 PM

Hope this helps...

The KIDC has a partnership with Powells' Books. They offer a huge variety of both new AND used Sci-Fi and Fantasy books, including Star Trek and more.

I've created a custom link for you, that brings up all the versions they currently carry in stock, including hardcover and softcover versions, as well as used... so you can choose one according to your budget!

custom search for Star Trek Encyclopedia

~ Ambassador Lady K'Zin

Administrator,
Klingon Imperial Forums, KIDC
EnkiDu BaQ
Scribe

« Reply #3 on: 04 23, 2004, 01:41: AM »

Greetings,

I would like more information on the Mok'bara.  Please help with this.  I am studying tai chi and this seems to be similar.

Thank you
EnkiDu BaQ

voraq

son of Dutrogath

« Reply #4 on: 04 29, 2004, 12:56: PM »

In an interview on one of the TNG seasons Dan Curry said that his main influence when making Mok'bara was in fact Tai Chi.  He said that he took one of the forms (I'm not sure which but I am using the Yang Form) and made it more crisp and definite (rather than smooth and flowing).  Meaning that it is clear, when the entire form is performed, where one movement starts and another stops.  This was done, acording to Carry, to make Mok'bara look more agressive than Tai Chi and more resembling something Klingons would develop.
weslipuqlod
Weaponsmith
Senior Courier

« Reply #5 on: 06 06, 2004, 12:06: PM »

I too am currently working to document the moQbara' and explore its fundamental techniques.

As a Law Enforcement Defensive Tactics instructor I recognize several of the moves demonstrated by Dorn in Birthright as Arm-Bar Control Holds that we have taught for years.

Curry did use Tai Chi as his base foundation but I believe he intermixed specific kata from other disciplines that met his needs and ideals of Klingon martial arts, then simply worked through the transition between each.
ZerBoth
Novice

« Reply #6 on: 12 08, 2010, 10:48: AM »

Hi Everybody!

I am looking for a paper manual, videos or others to learn the Bathlet, I am a Martial Artist and a Star Trek fan, I am interested in a manual to learn bathlet, I have read this page

http://www.flickr.com/photos/eclipsepics/70283219/

Do you know if there is a way to have such manuals?
qurgh_

« Reply #7 on: 12 10, 2010, 12:00: PM »

You should try and get hold of a copy of HetaQ's Secret Fighting Arts of the Warrior Race (http://www.amazon.com/Secret-Fighting-Arts-Warrior-Race/dp/1890065005). While it may not cover everything, it's a pretty good starting point.

ZerBoth
Novice

« Reply #8 on: 02 06, 2011, 05:39: AM »

Thanks a lot for the suggestion, Qurgh!

I have just received the book, and it looks interesting. As a novice I have difficulties with the pronounce of words with all those capital "H"...!

But I am learning!!!

I heard that the book was retired from commerce and a legal action was taken by the owners of rights on Klingon name, etc.

Any updates?

Are we free to learn and to teach also these disciplines or we have to be prepared to future legal actions?

Thanks again!  Smiley
qurgh_

« Reply #9 on: 02 10, 2011, 03:34: PM »

The book was "destroyed" at the order of Paramount because it had Klingons in it.

The kata that it teaches is the IP of HetaQ. You can probably freely teach it, as long as you don't connect it to Klingons in any "official" way. You'd have to speak to HetaQ to see if he has issues with you teaching it, although if you did it without charging people, I doubt he'd have an issue with it. He's probably be honored by the fact.

Disclaimer: I'm not him, so my comments describing his reactions are purely speculative and are based only on conversations I've had with people who personally know him.

chalvatlh
Klingon formerly Known as Fraek
Discoursing Diplomat

In order to succeed, you must enjoy eating poison!

« Reply #10 on: 05 28, 2011, 06:20: AM »

Just purchased a copy of this book over Amazon; looking forward to reading it!
ZerBoth
Novice

« Reply #11 on: 07 02, 2011, 04:24: AM »

Hello tesseraktik,

did you read the book? An opinion?

I still had no success in contacting the author, HetaQ, even through the editor, anyone have suggestions, or a direct mail?
bluemagic
Newcomer

« Reply #12 on: 08 06, 2011, 09:28: PM »

I Did buy the book from HetaQ.In the begining they show empty hand tech, stances and hand strikes.First question is what type blocks is use.Is there other training in empty hand from the book?Any other ideas?THANK YOU
bluemagic
Newcomer

« Reply #13 on: 08 18, 2011, 09:19: PM »

i was asking about the empty hand side.In begining it shows stances and hand strikes.I'm thinking windmill type of blocking. Cheesy
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: