Klingon Imperial Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
09 17, 2014, 06:30: AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
The boards are having problems with email. We are advising members to set your secret questions and answers in case the board can't send email to let you reset lost passwords.
11599 Posts in 1591 Topics by 654 Members
Latest Member: lblackmoor
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  Klingon Imperial Forums
|-+  Klingon Guilds
| |-+  Klingon Imperial Costumers Guild
| | |-+  Pins, Jewelry & Badges
| | | |-+  "Official" pins and badges
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: "Official" pins and badges  (Read 6823 times)
qoSagh
Warrior Bard of the Ontological
Thought Master

« on: 08 10, 2004, 08:38: AM »

I was cleaning up under my desk the other day and found a pin that my wife had thought she'd lost off of her cloak. I don't klnow if it has a name but it was one of the few paramount authorized klingon pieces there have been. This one was made in 1991. That got me to thinking about why with all the Klingons out there and all the costumes and pins and stuff, why there hasn't been more of a market for similar items.

I have come up with two theories. First that regardless of what paramount comes up with, fans can produce better and cheaper versions at home. While I have seen very well made replicas I have also seen very poorly made ones, so I'm not sure that this theory is correct.

The other theory is that since Klingon fans have had to suffer at the hands of the Powers that Be, no matter what they produce we will just not buy them is sufficiant numbers to make it as profitable as they want. For years there were only two official rank pins, Captain & Admiral. Now I have seen Commander and I think Lieutenant Commander but no full set in matching colors. This despite there bei9ng a fairly large market for such things, almost every club awards rank and almost every memebr wears rank insignia.

Any ideas why there has been so little officially produced merchandise, despite paramounts continuous battle to stop fan produced items?

qoSagh qlIStIy
meycha of the qaptaQ www.qaptaQ.org
Prothonotary of the Desert Rite
"I would kill the children of a thousand planets, just to see you smile."
Kesvirit
Her Nibbs
Administrator
Thought Master

That which does not kill me, must have missed me.

« Reply #1 on: 08 12, 2004, 01:02: AM »

qoSagh: This despite there bei9ng a fairly large market for such things, almost every club awards rank and almost every memebr wears rank insignia.
A third, and I think overriding, reason is that for Klinfolk not just any mass-produced rank pins will suffice.  Almost every Klingon club has its own heirarchy and insignia. Their members want personalized pins or patches that identify their allegience to and ranks within a given House, ship, guild, etc. Most of these organizations are of fan origin, and the rank heirarchies and identification symbols are created by their members.

In my more optimistic moments I believe that the Paraborg Legal Fleet has bigger threats to its stranglehold on the Trekiverse than to spend its resources trying to keep track of the varying fan group structures and  their associated symbols. It seems unlikely that there would be enough demand for such small-ticket items as to make them profitable to mass-produce or regulate. Thus anyone wanting their own set of identification pins and badges pretty much has to make them themselves.

As for your second theory, the factor of Klingon kussedness should never be undestimated.

-=- Kesvirit

Richard the Sound Guy: "And the next person to lecture me about canon risks getting shot out of one! Right, gaffers?"
Gaffers make appreciative and supportive remarks in the form of bad imitations of primate calls from the direction of the lighting grids.
qoSagh
Thought Master

« Reply #2 on: 08 14, 2004, 08:47: PM »

I like the third theory, and I do agree that not just any old pin/patch will do. I have however seen the same symbols take on different meanings in different organizations. I myself bought a patgch on eBay a while back, with the intention of using it on a new uniform. I have recently discovered that it is the symbol of a specific house. Without a good role-play explanation why one would wear another house's crest, I will probably leave it off the uniform.

I have a cloak that was originally designed for a character that was a well decorated 110 year old cleric. As such I aquired many pins for that cloak. Most if not all were what I like to call semi-mass produced. Avalible at conventions but produced for sale by dealers and not for any single club. Over the years I have seen the same pins take on multiple meanings. I have even seen them for sale in different color combinations. I guess they are the middle between Paraborg mass production and fan produced or club specific art pieces.

That of course does bring to mind why these pieces sell better than the stuff Paraborg puts out. And even with the authorized stuff I've seen, I rarely see anyone wearing them on a uniform.

qoSagh qlIStIy
maq'mang
Courier

« Reply #3 on: 11 02, 2004, 02:46: PM »

Their members want personalized pins or patches that identify their allegience to and ranks within a given House, ship, guild, etc.
And since House, ship and Guilds are fan created, the pins are so created as well.

I think you hit it dead on. Business production is based upon supply and demand. There simply would not be enough demand for the supply they would necessarily need to create. And with the fragmentation in Klingdom it is darn near impossible to even create custom award pins for most organizations create their own versions of awards. Any "uniform" awards such as the Distinguished Service Medal have been named differently by every organization. I think that there are only two pins used relatively uniformly.

Capt. Maq'mang vestaI Veska aka Michael Scott Witty
Member of The Empire, 'ampaS tlhIngan Dean
High Council, House Veska
Commanding Officer IKV Honor's Blade, Black Targ Primus
Abbot Nej vIt
Highly Opinionated Klingon
Thought Master

"I Will Take the Conquerer Ceasers Salad... Now!"

« Reply #4 on: 04 19, 2005, 10:44: PM »

I Too would really Like to See More Quality Metal and Enamal Pins Made Available... I Have Investigated Everything from Trophy Shops to Online Companies that Actually Make Custom Enamal Pins to Order... The Problem is the Same, To Get a Decent Price You Need to Order in Quantity, and Who in there right Mind Wants 500 to 1000 Ensign Pins?... Are there that Many Ensigns in All of Klindom?...<Smirk>... I Have Often had the Fantasy of Winning the Lottery And Making Thousands of Klingon Pins of All Sorts and Giving them away by the Handfulls to Every Klingon I Meet.... One Day I Tell Ya... One Day...<Looking Off Wistfully into the Distance>...

Anyway, Fact is No One Can Market High Quality Klingon anything without the Paramount Police Showing Up At Your Door with Vicious Threats in Legal-ese, Never Mind that they Do not even want to market the Stuff themselves...<Chuckle>...

And as Far as the Resin Stuff out there... Geesh... Who is to Say Who Originally Designed What, I Have seen so many Of the Same Pins Sold by Different Dealers I Can not Begin to Imagine Who Did What First... BUT, I Do Know of a Resin Maker who will do Original Work... I Am Currently In Negotians on A Pin For the Library... Once I See what the Work is like First Hand I will Report Back...

qoSagh,

Where did you see Paramount Cmndr. and Lt. Cmndr.?

Our Club Commisioned a Big Batch of Metal Rank Years Back from a Trophy Shop... And I Have Seen Others do it too... But it is Hard to Cover those Costs...  

Archbishop Nej vIt SutaI-H'Nter,
Spiritual Advisor to K.L.A.W. 4th Fleet,
Abbot, Dugh toy'wI' Library,
http://www.klingonlegion.com/summergames2006/
qoSagh
Thought Master

« Reply #5 on: 04 20, 2005, 07:25: AM »

I think the ones I saw were Paramount, they were dark silver (kind of a pewter like color) cut out pins. Since Creation was selling them, they must be official. They are in league with Paraborg at every level.

[Edit -- Sources now have their own thread.]
« Last Edit: 04 23, 2005, 09:42: PM by Kesvirit » Logged

qoSagh qlIStIy
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: