Klingon Imperial Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
12 11, 2017, 05:10: PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Thu 26Jul2012:
     Due to security issues file attchments are disabled for the time being.  We are invenvestigating the impact to the board and working to ensure our forums are clean and trustworthy.   In the mean time you can email your attachments to Kesvirit and/or Klythe along with which message you want them attached to and we will add them.

11894 Posts in 1664 Topics by 689 Members
Latest Member: regdun234
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  Klingon Imperial Forums
|-+  Klingon Arts and Media
| |-+  Klingon Arts and Music
| | |-+  Klingon Art and Artwork
| | | |-+  Klingon Artforms
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Klingon Artforms  (Read 20619 times)
qoSagh
Warrior Bard of the Ontological
Thought Master

« on: 05 05, 2004, 04:33: PM »

This forums area seems so sad without a single topic. lol.

I have often toyed with creating various Klingon art pieces. I have seen the odd portrait at conventions, and a few ceramic pieces, but never much else. One idea I had had was Klingon sandpaintings. I thought of this after buying a native american sand painting while on vacation a few years ago. It is an image of a warrior on horseback, in shadow seen against the setting sun. After looking at this I thought that this image (or a slightly modified one) would likely seem pleasing to Klingons.

The various banners there are for houses and fleets are all very martial looking, and rightly so. The ceramic pieces are usually very utilitarian. BUt is there Klingon art just for the sake of art? If so what artforms are out there? What do they depict? I don't see much interest in still life, because of nal komerex khesterex. That being said, displays of historic weapons seem popular and they are 3D still lifes, so I don't really know how they work into things. I would think depictions of battles or hunts would be well represented. What else?

qoSagh qlIStIy
meycha of the qaptaQ www.qaptaQ.org
Prothonotary of the Desert Rite
"I would kill the children of a thousand planets, just to see you smile."
weslipuqlod
Weaponsmith
Senior Courier

« Reply #1 on: 06 06, 2004, 04:54: PM »

I once read that Klingon visual design stresses four elements: strength, simplicity, power, and danger.    

I see Klingon artforms being abstract, almost in a Picasso manner yet not as flagrant.  Examples of this can be seen in the Star Trek Klingon Interactive CD.

There is the Hoblat, a symbolic representation of ghochwI' which is the constellation "Tracker", containing a star where qeylIS is said to return.  (Around which orbits the planet Boreth).

This symbolic representation appeared to be multiple layers of rods and square pieces of metal.  Studying it gives an impression of an exploded view of an object.  Like you blew up a color photograph until all you had was the distorted color pixels.  I theorized that it was just that.  A 3-D model of the star as viewed through the primitive optronics of the time.

In the CD there is also depicted a statue said to represent broken and unbroken blood oaths.  It consists of several metal rings, some continuous others open, welded to vertical rods.

Granted this is only one source's depiction.  Such matters have generally been left to scanning the scenes for set decorations.  I subscribe to the thought that most of what would pass for interior decorating design within Klingon society are born out of utilitarian needs or items of spiritual significance.

An exception to this would be the artistic use of pIqaD.

Reversed, inverted, rotated and distorted – characters, names, or phrases have been worked into elaborate scrolls, weapons, and architecture.  pIqaD could be regarded as the highest of all art forms – a discipline for its own sake, an exercise in pure design.
TVala
Courier

« Reply #2 on: 06 09, 2004, 01:36: PM »

In Pawns and Symbols statues of Durgath and Cymele were mentioned, and in Brave and the Bold Book Two, a sculptor was comissioned to create a memorial sculpture of the ones who died in the dominion war.  I know they create sculptures of the famous Klingon heroes.  One of Sirella was created for the garden in the second book of the Left Hand of Destiny.

Cathy

Someday I must read this scholar Everyone...He seems to have written so much -- all of it wrong.

- Veralidaine Sarrasri, The Immortals, Tamora Pierce, 1997
tapez_sonof_chang
Courier

« Reply #3 on: 06 09, 2004, 02:01: PM »

any pics on this

Kesvirit
Her Nibbs
Administrator
Thought Master

That which does not kill me, must have missed me.

« Reply #4 on: 06 09, 2004, 11:31: PM »

qoSagh: I don't see much interest in still life, because of nal komerex khesterex. That being said, displays of historic weapons seem popular and they are 3D still lifes, so I don't really know how they work into things. I would think depictions of battles or hunts would be well represented.
I can easily imagine how still lifes in the form of landscapes or vista scenes would accommodate the nal komerex, khesterex dictum, particularly in pre-industrial eras. These would be the equivalent of before-and-after shots of unoccupied lands waiting to be taken over and utilized, compared with representations (paintings?) of the same area it was claimed, colonized, and inhabited, with a lot of artistic license thrown in.  Such images would serve as both an historical recording process and as a tribute to those who worked to fulfill the Klingon equivalent of manifest destiny.  It seems likely that that these would become multi-panel works, each showing a given area at a different point in its history, perhaps displayed in cultural centers, administration buildings, or the main halls of the house that occupies/administers the region in which the reference scenes are located.

How vulnerable such works would be to revision upon successive coups, conquerings, or other transfers of power is up to debate.  I would think that the images themselves would remain unaltered, and that it would be the specifics of the stories behind them that would change according to the dominant political forces of the moment.

weslipuqlod:  I once read that Klingon visual design stresses four elements: strength, simplicity, power, and danger.
What is the source of this summary?

weslipuqlod: Reversed, inverted, rotated and distorted – characters, names, or phrases have been worked into elaborate scrolls, weapons, and architecture. pIqaD could be regarded as the highest of all art forms – a discipline for its own sake, an exercise in pure design.
An Earth analog that comes to mind (though there may be many more with which I am unfamiliar) is Shu Fa, the art of Chinese calligraphy. The authors of this page on Chinese calligraphy claim that it is " Regarded as the most abstract and sublime form of art in Chinese culture... (and) is often thought to be most revealing of one's personality.  Painters Matisse and Picasso have both stated their works to be heavily influenced by the prinicples of Shu Fa. However, both individuals were known to be master promoters as well as master painters, and I am not well versed enough in such matters to draw comparisons.

This page shows thirteen different versions of the same character. In doing so it emphasizes writing as an art form, and the combination of skill and artisitc expression as executed by the individual writer. Those with an interest in pIqaD would do well to study it.

Compare the above page to this a piece out of a student's graphic arts portfolio entitled "Klingon type project". Does anyone see this as a potential extremely stylized pIqaD version of the set of thirteen characters? (No, this is not an exam question, just food for thought.)

I am also working on designs for a few (theoretical) musical instuments, which I will post if I ever finish them.

-=-Kesvirit
« Last Edit: 06 28, 2004, 12:37: AM by Kesvirit » Logged

Richard the Sound Guy: "And the next person to lecture me about canon risks getting shot out of one! Right, gaffers?"
Gaffers make appreciative and supportive remarks in the form of bad imitations of primate calls from the direction of the lighting grids.
weslipuqlod
Weaponsmith
Senior Courier

« Reply #5 on: 06 12, 2004, 12:26: AM »

Kesvirit: What is the source of this summary?
Star Trek Communicator #114, pg. 14 - Building Treknology, Look of the Warrior, by Terry Ray Hiller.

In the article, Hiller attempts to outline the unique characteristics of Klingon technology which gives way to an brief exploration of Klingon art and design as expressions of the warrior culture.

Kesvirit: Does anyone see this as a potential extremely stylized pIqaD version of the set of thirteen characters?
I personally see nothing Klingon in this art, regardless of how I squint and rotate the characters.
qoSagh
Thought Master

« Reply #6 on: 06 13, 2004, 01:40: AM »

I was originally thinking about what physical types of artwork would exist, like sculptures or paintings or wood carvings, ect. The subject matter I hadn't really thought about, other than the various war related themes we have already seen. I do have to say I like the idea of several still lifes put together in a series to show the progress of the thing / area. That could be a running artwork, theoretically never ending. Perhaps a member of the family is entrusted with adding to this every few years or at least every generation.

Another idea I had, is something I call a hunters quilt. Based on the fact that hunting plays an important cultural role, the first hunt would likely be an impotant life event. After each house members first hunt a section of the pelt is taken and added to the ever growing fur quilt. This becomes not only a powerful piece of inspirational art but a historical record also. This could lead to some interesting looking mixes as a family spreads out accross the empire, some sections with fur, some with scales, ect.

qoSagh qlIStIy
Kesvirit
Her Nibbs
Administrator
Thought Master

« Reply #7 on: 06 14, 2004, 04:28: PM »

weslipuqlod: I personally see nothing Klingon in this art, regardless of how I squint and rotate the characters.
I do. I suppose it depends as to which competing version of pIqaD one subscribes.  I wish I had the necessary pattern recognition software and set-up to run a comparison.

qoSagh: ...several still lifes put together in a series to show the progress of the thing / area. That could be a running artwork, theoretically never ending. Perhaps a member of the family is entrusted with adding to this every few years or at least every generation.
Perhaps such a running artwork would serve to promote the integration of the arts in general into Klingon society and insure that each family/House had members with skills artistic as well as those of war.

I like the concept of the hunters quilt. Do you have more specifics on its construction and "chain of custody"?  A long-established family would have quite a tapestry going, perhaps displayed in the main hall of the Head of House. But what about a recently founded or minor House, one without physical holdings or a great ancestral home?  I would like to think that theirs would literally be used according to the original function of most quilts, which is to sleep under to keep warm. I also think that the hunters quilt would be considered as belonging to the ranking female of the line as it is she who has (metaphorically) produced the hunters who produced the quilt.

-=- Kesvirit

Richard the Sound Guy: "And the next person to lecture me about canon risks getting shot out of one! Right, gaffers?"
Gaffers make appreciative and supportive remarks in the form of bad imitations of primate calls from the direction of the lighting grids.
qoSagh
Thought Master

« Reply #8 on: 06 15, 2004, 12:41: AM »

I had always thought of the quilt as more decorative. The functional part of the pelt would still be functional but a small piece would be taken for the quilt. As for a new house, that I think poses an interesting question. As all new houses are formed by members of existing houses, how is a new quilt started? Doe the one get to take his part of the quilt with him, or does it actually start with the second generation of a house, which would be the first generation to be born into a house?

As for who actually has custody? I can see arguments for both the ranking male and female. In order to form a new house one would have to have the permission of the ranking male in his existing house, I do not envision females being the founders of many houses, thus the new house would start with a male, who I think would get custody of the quilt or responsibility for starting the quilt. On the other hand, lineage is always provable through the female, and we have seen many examples of the ranking female running the household in Klingon society. The quilt being a historical record of the house and of the household, I can see the importance of the ranking female having custody.

I should point out that this idea came out of ideas for artwork to display at a Klingon table at a convention, so it is entirely theoretical. I was thinking of something along the lines of Klingon patchwork, and then went on from there. I have no canon or other sources for this concept. The closest I can come up with is Worf teaching the youngster to hunt on the prision world. I ahte the idea of Worf being the source for anything Klingon.

qoSagh qlIStIy
weslipuqlod
Weaponsmith
Senior Courier

« Reply #9 on: 06 27, 2004, 06:07: PM »

I created a tapestry some years back that falls into the discussion this thread has taken.

When my grandmother passed away, her wedding dress was divided into panels to be sewn into pillows for each of the surviving grandchildren.  I chose not to have my panels sewn but instead place them away for safe keeping.  My mother, still alive, chose to follow the same tradition, and once again I selected to have just the panels themselves.  

The panels that I have received over the years are being sewn together with panels from my wife's wedding dress.  The resulting work will be identically framed and presented to each of my two sons as they begin life on their own.  If they choose to marry, hopefully they will add to the panels with fabric from their own wive's wedding dresses and carry on the tradition to their children.

With each generation and each addition of wedding dress panels the tapestry will grow into a unique work of art, rich in history, yet all having the same strong, proud origin.
Kesvirit
Her Nibbs
Administrator
Thought Master

« Reply #10 on: 06 28, 2004, 05:18: PM »

qoSagh:  As for a new house, that I think poses an interesting question. As all new houses are formed by members of existing houses, how is a new quilt started? Doe the one get to take his part of the quilt with him, or does it actually start with the second generation of a house, which would be the first generation to be born into a house?
A common attitude in Klingon society is "What is mine is mine, and what is yours may also be mine once I get around to it." Thus I don't think an individual leaving one House to found another would be allowed to take the piece of the quilt they originally contributed. That belongs to the pre-existing House. Both the one leaving it and the product of their first hunt are part of the history of that House; if you forfeit membership of that House and the protection it provides, you forfeit any contributions you may have made to it.

However, I do not think that newly founded House or Line would need to delay the construction of a new quilt until it produced hunting progeny. A piece of hide from the founders' first joint hunt would be a fitting starting point for a new quilt, symbolic of the new line they are joining to create.

-=- Kesvirit
« Last Edit: 06 28, 2004, 05:19: PM by Kesvirit » Logged

Abbot Nej vIt
Highly Opinionated Klingon
Thought Master

"I Will Take the Conquerer Ceasers Salad... Now!"

« Reply #11 on: 04 23, 2005, 12:52: PM »

qoSagh,

You Mention Physical Art... Some How I Can Really Imagine Klingon Artisans Working In Metals Like Bronze... Particularly Scenes "In Motion" Such as Hunters, Wild Animals Or Warriors Engaged In Combat... Now Perhaps I Am Some What Inspired by the Statuary Work has of Kahless and Molor, but That In Itself was Hardly a Unique Style, so I Stand By the Impression... Possibly also Works that Border on Less Easily Defined Art like SRL (Survival Research Labs)... http://www.srl.org

Archbishop Nej vIt SutaI-H'Nter,
Spiritual Advisor to K.L.A.W. 4th Fleet,
Abbot, Dugh toy'wI' Library
tilk
Klingon Conversationalist

« Reply #12 on: 04 24, 2005, 01:17: AM »

CHECK OUT the house of KORAX. this would be the single best klingon site I have ever seen.

And as far as klingon women go... Glorious!!
she has some beautiful art work of herself and other things.
Kesvirit
Her Nibbs
Administrator
Thought Master

« Reply #13 on: 04 24, 2005, 02:05: AM »

Why do you give the location of this house? Without a link, Klingon art enthusiasts could be left wandering and wondering. They may come to question your professed enthusiasm, or even your veracity and motivations.

-=- Kesvirit

tilk

« Reply #14 on: 04 24, 2005, 06:09: AM »

I am thoughtless, and have the brain of a s'tarahk!
http://www.corax.com/klingon/house_of_korax.html
forgive my oversite. Sad  
Abbot Nej vIt
Thought Master

« Reply #15 on: 04 24, 2005, 09:35: PM »

Very Interesting Style of Art Work Certainly... It (The Site), Has a Certain Almost Bio-Celtic? Look to it? Also There are some Beautifull Paintings there (Apparently For Sale)... Do You Know these Folks tilk?

tilk

« Reply #16 on: 04 25, 2005, 02:53: AM »

nope. I have written emails to them. They are very friendly. They do appreciate feedback on their efforts.
I have jsut come across various web site on my gathering of klingon info for my film project.

But they are great paintings. I like the one with her in her sunday dress.
Kesvirit
Her Nibbs
Administrator
Thought Master

« Reply #17 on: 04 25, 2005, 04:02: AM »

I Can Really Imagine Klingon Artisans Working In Metals Like Bronze... Particularly Scenes "In Motion" *** Possibly also Works that Border on Less Easily Defined Art like SRL (Survival Research Labs)... http://www.srl.org
I recommend you investigate the metal-and-fire works of Flaming Lotus Girls. One of their current projects, the phoenix-like Angel of the Apocalypse, is designed to be interactive.

Abbot Nej vIt wrote in the Klingon music thread:
I Have also Heard some Kewl Japanese Drumming (Koto?), that Could Go Along way towards Sounding Klingon...
I can certainly envision a ritualized Klingon "team drumming" form interweaving music and stylizes combat moves, perhaps using a variety of modified weapons as drumsticks on elaborate assemblages of percussion instruments.

Performances could be both scored and choreographed to portray historical battles and other importain events and to "tell" stories from folklore and myth. A sort of opera in which the performers and musicians are one and the same. Though there could be a choral accompanyment, its role would be limited by the sound and passion of the drums. I see the drums themselves as doing the singing.

-=- Kesvirit

Abbot Nej vIt
Thought Master

« Reply #18 on: 04 25, 2005, 03:30: PM »

The Art Work of the Flaming Lotus Girls, Looks Extraordinary...

Imagine a Huge Tre-foil Blazing to the Heavens while that Choreographed Taiko/Opera Pelted the Onlooker with Historically Inspired Stories... Indeed ta'mey Dun, bommey Dun... (Great Deeds, Great Songs)...

Some may Suggest that This Borders on Breaking from the General "Art" Concept, but I Feel Strongly that Performance is Art... And I Think This Type of Art Sounds Very Klingon...

SoplaHtaHwI'
Senior Strategist

yuchvaD vIqvaD je jIyIn

« Reply #19 on: 05 07, 2005, 07:00: PM »

I too see a combination of fire performers and drum-centered music as having a very big Klingon appeal.
Other than this performance art I think sculpture more than painting to be a typical Klingon artform...

qa'pIn [SoplaHtaHwI'] qI'meQ vIghro''a'
yuch betleH 'obe' la'quv
Khemorex-Klinzhai member, IKEF member
Dishonored Captain of the former spacecraft qaDwI' Doq
Abbot Nej vIt
Thought Master

« Reply #20 on: 05 15, 2005, 09:00: PM »

Fire and Drums... Very Primal... Which may well be What Draws me to the Klingon Concept as well... That there is Something Primal, Not Ferral or Uncontrolled Just Something "Core" about Playing At Klingon...

Ok... Back on Topic... I Can See Functional Sculpture as being a Hit with Klin... For Instance Worfs Crazy Chair Sculpt in his Enterprize Quarters...  

SoplaHtaHwI'
Senior Strategist

yuchvaD vIqvaD je jIyIn

« Reply #21 on: 05 16, 2005, 07:40: PM »

qoSagh:  As for a new house, that I think poses an interesting question. As all new houses are formed by members of existing houses, how is a new quilt started? Doe the one get to take his part of the quilt with him, or does it actually start with the second generation of a house, which would be the first generation to be born into a house?
However, I do not think that newly founded House or Line would need to delay the construction of a new quilt until it produced hunting progeny. A piece of hide from the founders' first joint hunt would be a fitting starting point for a new quilt, symbolic of the new line they are joining to create.
Exactly my thought when I read qoSagh's remark.
No time like the present.

yuch betleH 'obe' la'quv
SoplaHtaHwI'
Senior Strategist

yuchvaD vIqvaD je jIyIn

« Reply #22 on: 05 16, 2005, 07:49: PM »

Now Perhaps I Am Some What Inspired by the Statuary Work has of Kahless and Molor, but That In Itself was Hardly a Unique Style,
Going on the statue of Kahless and Morath, his brother:

The style might not be unique, but I would certainly be interested if someone created this image for sale...

yuch betleH 'obe' la'quv
Abbot Nej vIt
Thought Master

« Reply #23 on: 05 22, 2005, 01:50: PM »

Now Perhaps I Am Some What Inspired by the Statuary Work has of Kahless and Molor, but That In Itself was Hardly a Unique Style,
Going on the statue of Kahless and Morath, his brother:

The style might not be unique, but I would certainly be interested if someone created this image for sale...
I Stand Humbled, and Penitant... I Did Say Molor Did'nt I...?<Shaking his head, and Sighing>...

....<Smirk>....

Yes I Would Really Enjoy Seeing that Particular Sculpture Recreated as well... In Fact I would Like to se more Klingon Busts as Well...< Shocked  Wink >...er...That would be More Klingon Stuary...<Snicker>...

nlaing
Novice

« Reply #24 on: 08 03, 2008, 07:56: AM »

Brand new here but I'm having great fun reading the forums!
I am very interested in Klingon Art.
and I thought I might show off my Kahless Talismen made from the hair of a borath monk melted in lava flows of maH'glegh mountian
http://www.flickr.com/photos/laingsouth/2317247103/in/set-72157606293076369/
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: