Klingon Imperial Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
10 01, 2014, 03:16: PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Realtime chats are now following a freeform schedule.  If you would like to chat with you fellows please see the It's Talk Time thread for more info or to schedule a chat.
11620 Posts in 1595 Topics by 660 Members
Latest Member: jigirafül
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  Klingon Imperial Forums
|-+  General Discussions
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  Klingon Names
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Klingon Names  (Read 77531 times)
Tedra_deArr
Senior Courier

« on: 03 22, 2004, 05:24: AM »

I find it difficult to find klingon names. So is there a general rule to put a klingon name together or can you just use whatever you want. If the name shall mean something I always get a very long names.

mfg Sad

[Corrected title spelling- Klythe]
« Last Edit: 02 27, 2005, 12:43: PM by Klythe » Logged

Sometimes you have to punch your way through - Captain Kathryn Janeway

Empire of Warriors ORPG, "chal che'wI' tengchaH (Star Ruler space station) " - join us now
qoSagh
Warrior Bard of the Ontological
Thought Master

« Reply #1 on: 03 22, 2004, 03:42: PM »

As one who has had many Klingon names, I should tell you that as near as I can establish the only rule is that there are none. Back in the FASA days (makes me feel old, just saying that) there were rules based on job function. Naval personnel Had names which started with K, Marines with M and academics with A. I don't remember if there were any specifics on how children were named before they earned thier changes. Paramount of course has seen fit to stomp all over this with every character they have created.

My First Klingon Name was K'vack, chosen because of the reference to Hagar the Horible (it is the name of his pet duck, go ahead say it out loud)

From there on I attempted a name that meant something, and like you I have found them to get too long to use effectively. I chose  Ha'DIbaH SoS mupwI' which due to forum rules and general decency I can not accurately translate here. Well I could but only becaue the dictionary didn't have the right word to translate the name I planned on. It was a Full Metal Jacket reference but led to being shortened as HaDIbah, which always sounded more like a muppet refference.

My next was beragha, this meant nothing, and was just picked because it sounded good. I later found an almost identical name (baragha) in one of the Star Trek commics, but he was an early Klingon Flying Ace/Barn Stormer so that was kind of cool too.

My current name of qoSagh also has no definition, however has roots in the russian work Cosack. I thought this one up while walking through a Natural History museum and seening a life sized Cosack warrior riding his horse into batle. With words/names that I find from a single root word I usually try to change a letter or two so that the actual pronunciation is not the same in tlhIngan Hol as the original word.

I hope that this has helped you and nopt confused you more than you were already.

qoSagh qlIStIy
meycha of the qaptaQ www.qaptaQ.org
Prothonotary of the Desert Rite
"I would kill the children of a thousand planets, just to see you smile."
voraq
Klingon Conversationalist

son of Dutrogath

« Reply #2 on: 03 23, 2004, 07:29: AM »

This is the first Klingon name I came up with.  I first watched all the movies and episodes with Klingons in an attempt to see if there were any lettering schemes as in Vulcan.

When I found that there are not.  I tried to develop a name that would fit with the general sounds in tlhIngan Hol.  I wrote several possibilities down (some based on classical composers and  music that I like)and then looked through The Klingon Dictionary and Klingon for the Galactic Traveler and looked to see which one would fit if used as a new word.

I took the name Dvorak because it sounded like a Klingon name.  I then modified it several different ways, most of which were ackward to say.  When I found a modified version that I liked I added it to my "choose from" list.

I then spelled it with the Klingon romanized letters.
« Last Edit: 03 30, 2004, 07:47: AM by voraq » Logged
Kesvirit
Her Nibbs
Administrator
Thought Master

That which does not kill me, must have missed me.

« Reply #3 on: 09 03, 2004, 02:08: AM »

qoSagh: I attempted a name that meant something, and like you I have found them to get too long to use effectively. I chose Ha'DIbaH SoS mupwI' which due to forum rules and general decency I can not accurately translate here.
{"Ha'DIbaH SoS mupwI'"}?  {"Ha'DIbaH SoS mupwI'"}?!!
{batlhbe' DaDa! loDHom, SoSlI vIja'!}
You act dishonorably (towards her) ! I am telling your mother! Tongue

-=- Kesvirit

Richard the Sound Guy: "And the next person to lecture me about canon risks getting shot out of one! Right, gaffers?"
Gaffers make appreciative and supportive remarks in the form of bad imitations of primate calls from the direction of the lighting grids.
KAllen

« Reply #4 on: 09 03, 2004, 04:20: PM »

Man...all this trouble.  I just stuck a K' in front of my name and was done with it.

My wife's Klingon name was a little different.  We took her maiden name, Torres, and came up with Torsha. It sounded cool, and everybody looks at her personalized license plate and goes "huh?"

The leader of my House, used the name of a bass guitar as his name. He and I are KISS fanatics and he used the type of bass Gene used in his early career...Ripper Bass. He then formed  Ri'Par out of that.

Like was mentioned earlier...the only rule of a name is their is no rule!!! You can take the easy way out, like I did, or go all complex...just whatever you do, make the name fit YOU, not anybody else.

Lt.Col. K'Allen sutai-bortaS
Marine Commander aboard the IKV Bayou Serpent
Member of the IKV Bayou Serpent
House Cha'diCH to the House of bortaS
qoSagh
Thought Master

« Reply #5 on: 09 11, 2004, 11:05: AM »

The Klingon Name Generator was pretty neat. It is similar to sites I've seen for D&D. The only problem I have would be that so many of the Line Names listed are major characters from Star Trek. I've posted before about my pet peeve that everyone seems to be the Emperors cousin or the Admiral's Daughter. This Generator almost insures that will happen.

qoSagh qlIStIy
Kesvirit
Her Nibbs
Administrator
Thought Master

« Reply #6 on: 09 16, 2004, 10:20: PM »

I've posted before about my pet peeve that everyone seems to be the Emperors cousin or the Admiral's Daughter. This Generator almost insures that will happen.
It is a most worthy peeve. I encourage those who have not yeat read it to go do so. It is the March 30 post in the constructing an RPG/Sim character thread.

The Klingon Name Generator also shows an unfortunate Latinate bias in that an overwhelming majority of female call-names end in the vowels a, e, and i -- even when the characters from whom the names were taken were male.

It would be much improved if it were a more random generator (constructing names using only preset patterns of consonants and vowels) instead of recycling names already in use. It is most annoying to page Melota and Krenn only to have half the ship's compliment respond.

qoSagh, voraq, and K'Allen have all come up with novel ways of choosing names. Are there any other Klinfolk who will accept the challenge of telling us how they acquired their names?

-=- Kesvirit

Richard the Sound Guy: "And the next person to lecture me about canon risks getting shot out of one! Right, gaffers?"
Gaffers make appreciative and supportive remarks in the form of bad imitations of primate calls from the direction of the lighting grids.
qoSagh
Thought Master

« Reply #7 on: 09 17, 2004, 06:03: PM »

To paraphrase T.S. Elliot: The naming of Klin's an important thing,for you see each Klin has three names. One shared with his family (this could be the line name or house/theld) one that he is called by publicly (this could be the given name) and one known only to other Klin (tihs I think could be the honorific or the whole name with all the flourishes). It's been too long since I read the powem or saw the play, so I may have got it a bit out of line.

I'm not sure that there need to be rules that are Empire wide. If tere are different languages and different dialects within those languages, there surely are different rules or at least customs for names. But to ech the sentiment of Kesvirit, lets hear some of the other methods out there, perhaps the rules are hiding in plain sight by how things have already been done.

qoSagh qlIStIy
ngabwI
Senior Courier

« Reply #8 on: 09 18, 2004, 06:46: AM »

Are there any other Klinfolk who will accept the challenge of telling us how they acquired their names?
Well, though this may not help anyone, I'll throw it out there, anyway:

My name is an error. A two-fold mistake that was made before I understood much of anything having to do with Klingon grammar.

Mistake #1: Names that end in {-wI'} are generally considered "weaker" than other names. Don't know why, this just seems to be the case.

Mistake #2: I'm a semi-pro magician, and I wanted a name that reflected that. My specialty is sleight-of-hand magic. (I don't really like using gimmicky "magic boxes", or anything else.) The beginning and end of sleight of hand is the ability to cause something to apparently disappear. Magicians call this "vanishing", and the object of "vanish" is the thing you cause to vanish. I wanted to name myself "one who causes (something) to vanish", which would, of course be {ngabmoHwI'}.

But by the time I realized my mistakes, I had already introduced myself, and my name had grown on me.

And that's my story.

HovpoH 702058.0

jatlh Huch, 'ach bom yuch!
"Money talks, but chocolate sings!"
El_Nero_Diablo
Scribe

« Reply #9 on: 09 19, 2004, 02:49: AM »

I made my name (on here) up by using some Spanish and Italian I know, 'El Diablo' means 'The Devil' in Spanish & 'Nero' is Italian for 'Black' so my name means 'The_Black_Devil'.

As 007 (Bond, James Bond)'s movies go, Live & Let Die, Die Another Day, Tomorrow Never Dies, The World Is Not Enough.
G'Vera
Novice

« Reply #10 on: 12 31, 2004, 04:55: PM »

My name came from a soap opera. I was watching the credits one day, and a person's name came up...I liked the way his last name looked...added an appostrophe, and there you go. G'Vera. My char has a twin sister, who's name is G'Kevra, which just has the same letters mixed up with a K added.  There is a data base of over 120 names that have been found in episodes, books and movies: www.angelfire.com/al/swifthawk.html  if you have trouble with figuring a name out, it's a good start.  
tilk

« Reply #11 on: 03 05, 2005, 07:13: PM »

My klingon name is steeped in mystery and ledgend.(and its based on the story I have wriiten/writing. As it is, in the klingon way of life, a letter is placed in front of your name to recognise your role. Such was born the name of OK'TAH. He took the right of assention but found drawn to life of a cleric. To study and follow the teachings of kahless. So he studied at Boreth for many years. But the heart of a warrior still beats inside of him.
He continued to practise the way of the warrior and became gifted in the use of traditional weapons especially the Batleth.
News of his father's death reached him one day, and that his death had been at the hands of traitors of the empire. From hearing this news, he claimed the right of Vengence, went after these traitors, and in a glorious battle he dispatched them. He then realised his true calling, and took his father's place as a lord in the battle fleet of the imperial klingon watch.
(Thats the quick version anyway). His "knick name" within the fleet is the priest.  
Lord Koroth
Novice

« Reply #12 on: 03 19, 2005, 01:01: PM »

As names go make your own. Just don't make it so long. Think like a Klingon, be direct and specific. Added titles and honorifics get boring and unneccesary when they become 3 and 4 rows in length. at most rank, name and a short honorific are the most you should need. I keep mine short, for example, Capt. Koroth katai warrior or Lord Koroth. Brief, direct and to the point.

Names can come from changing the order of the letters in your name. like K'mar for Mark. Names don't have to start with a K, we have Worf,  Gowron, Martok, Be'lanna, Lursa , Be'tor. Lots of names to choose or make up. Consider the sound of the letters in the Klingon dictionary.
« Last Edit: 03 19, 2005, 01:10: PM by Lord Koroth » Logged
SoplaHtaHwI'
Senior Strategist

yuchvaD vIqvaD je jIyIn

« Reply #13 on: 03 21, 2005, 04:54: AM »

Names can come from changing the order of the letters in your name. like K'mar for Mark.

The nicest example of this I find D'loraH, which is simply Harold backwards, D capitalised for {tlhIngan Hol} reasons and an apostrophe added for good measure...

qa'pIn [SoplaHtaHwI'] qI'meQ vIghro''a'
yuch betleH 'obe' la'quv
Khemorex-Klinzhai member, IKEF member
Dishonored Captain of the former spacecraft qaDwI' Doq
Abbot Nej vIt
Highly Opinionated Klingon
Thought Master

"I Will Take the Conquerer Ceasers Salad... Now!"

« Reply #14 on: 04 19, 2005, 10:23: PM »

These are All Legitimate Methods of Finding a Name,

My First Klingon Name was KORDAK... I Had Just Joined the Club and was Really Having Trouble with Getting a Name that I Liked, My Own First Name is Not a Good Candidate for Klingon-izing, and I Was Getting too Caught up in the Dictionary to Choose Something Simple from there... I Wanted to Follow the FASA Convention of "K" for Navy, So I Knew that was Going to be the Direction I Would Go... I Wanted Something Simple to say, (And For Others to Remember, Even if Introductions Took Place at a Party or Similar...<EFG>...), And I was Really Having Quite a Time of it... Especially Since I was Starting A New Chapter at the Same time that I was Getting Involved... Finally I Got a Call From the Fleet Ops, Asking For a Current Roster from the Ship (The I.K.V. Bone Crusher, Which is Another Story...<Grin>...), They were Going to Press and If I Wanted the Chapter to Have Klingon Names Associated with it I Had to Think Fast... (It Seemed a Bad Idea to Have the Chapter President's Name To Read: "Undecided"...

In A Panic, I Looked around the Room for the Klingon Dictionary I Knew to Be "Somewhere" Close, But Before I Found it, A Flash of Green Caught my Eye... There On The Table was My Can Of Chewing Tobacco, A Large Kodiak Bear Growling at Me, And It Hit Me... I Could Not Use KODIAK, (Sounds too Much like Kodak), But I Could Get away with the General Sounds, So KODIAK became KORDAK...<Chuckle>... And Like a Fool I Used the All Capitals From the Can... But a Name was Born, and It Stuck... It Met all of My Then Current Criteria, And Though in Role-play Terms KORDAK has been "Retired", The Name Is Still Not Forgotten...

Since then I have Had a Few Different Names For Different Personas, And All Of them I Came By Uniquely... But If I Learned One Lesson From that Experience it, was to Keep the Name Memorable, And Pronounceable if You Want People To Use it Regularly...  

Archbishop Nej vIt SutaI-H'Nter,
Spiritual Advisor to K.L.A.W. 4th Fleet,
Abbot, Dugh toy'wI' Library,
http://www.klingonlegion.com/summergames2006/
maq'mang
Courier

« Reply #15 on: 04 22, 2005, 03:51: AM »

I find it difficult to find klingon names.

My first Klingon name was given to me, tIq'batlh. Commited much mayhem as tIq'batlh.  Wink

My second character I used the FASA guide, at least I assume it is FASA maq'mang meaning proclaimed warrior and the M becomes capitalized with my joining the Imperial Marines. angry  

So is there a general rule to put a klingon name together or can you just use whatever you want. If the name shall mean something I always get a very long names.

cool tIn'HIch'nuj, It is regal sounding but try using it in the middle of a combat situation. It does have meaning. Methinks it all has to do with what you are in this for and a name is our description to the universe.

Capt. Maq'mang vestaI Veska aka Michael Scott Witty
Member of The Empire, 'ampaS tlhIngan Dean
High Council, House Veska
Commanding Officer IKV Honor's Blade, Black Targ Primus
SoplaHtaHwI'
Senior Strategist

yuchvaD vIqvaD je jIyIn

« Reply #16 on: 04 24, 2005, 03:50: PM »

qoSagh, voraq, and K'Allen have all come up with novel ways of choosing names. Are there any other Klinfolk who will accept the challenge of telling us how they acquired their names?

-=- Kesvirit
Well, I can respond to the call (albeit late...)

My main nick, {qa'pIn} was constructed with my IRL name in mind.
It's Thorwald.
The reasoning is flawed in some way, but {qa'} being spirit (ghost/higher being} and {pIn} meaning boss/expert I wanted to translate Thor (the most famous of Norse gods. I then found out that he wasn't quite the main god, but I'm sticking to the name none the less.

My house I invented... I've had comments on it being a combination of pre-{Hol} and {Hol} and as a consequence I have started writing k'meQ as qI'meQ lately...

My forum nick {SoplaHtaHwI'} is a description of me... "he who is able to eat (continuously)"

In short: I've tried to stick to {tlhIngan Hol} in naming myself but have invented all those around me without that prerequisite.

Look at qa'pIn's (partial) bio, written for the extinct club Tova'Daq. (It's on a German site, but the bio's in English.)
« Last Edit: 07 16, 2008, 12:13: PM by SoplaHtaHwI' » Logged

qa'pIn [SoplaHtaHwI'] qI'meQ vIghro''a'
yuch betleH 'obe' la'quv
Khemorex-Klinzhai member, IKEF member
Dishonored Captain of the former spacecraft qaDwI' Doq
Abbot Nej vIt
Thought Master

« Reply #17 on: 04 24, 2005, 04:07: PM »

TKD (The Klingon Dictionary), Really is a Valuable Asset in Lookinf for/ Developing a Name... It Is Often the Direction I First Point New Folks in... With the Warnings, "Not too Long" And "Can YOU Pronounce it"? Being Tossed in For Good Measure...

Brian_Starr
Scribe

« Reply #18 on: 06 24, 2005, 03:13: AM »

Mar’Peth was a throw away character in one of my stories.  It came from messing with my last name. Other names, including my current one, Krieg, are from my current story which you can read on this site.  (hint-hint) They are corruptions of German words, which I think sound very guttural like Klingon.

Try thinking of a good Klingon virtue and finding out what the German word for it is.

Honor = Ehre  = eHr add a Klingon prefix like W, K, or M

We’Hr sounds like “where or w-hare” with a rolling R
Kehr sounds like “Care”
Me’Hr Sounds like “Ma-air”    

Kesvirit
Her Nibbs
Administrator
Thought Master

« Reply #19 on: 06 26, 2005, 12:48: AM »

I Wanted to Follow the FASA Convention of "K" for Navy, So I Knew that was Going to be the Direction I Would Go... I Wanted Something Simple to say, (And For Others to Remember, Even if Introductions Took Place at a Party or Similar...<EFG>...), And I was Really Having Quite a Time of it... Especially Since I was Starting A New Chapter at the Same time that I was Getting Involved... ***

I Looked around the Room for the Klingon Dictionary I Knew to Be "Somewhere" Close, But Before I Found it, A Flash of Green Caught my Eye... There On The Table was My Can Of Chewing Tobacco, A Large Kodiak Bear Growling at Me, And It Hit Me... I Could Not Use KODIAK, (Sounds too Much like Kodak), But I Could Get away with the General Sounds, So KODIAK became KORDAK...
For several years I had a fictive named Kodiak. I do not remember how the name came to mind -- I know that I was not thinking of someone with ursine or nicotinic characteristics -- but the name seemed to fit him.  And it fit my then-criteria for a Klingon name: it was short, easy to pronounce and spell, and consisted of clear, sharp sounds. And he, too, was a naval officer, so the name needed to start with a "K".

When I actually had to commit him to paper, however, I quickly realized that This Was Ridiculous and Would Not Do.  I tinkered with the name until I came up with "Kriyat", which seemed to fit him quite well.

Around two years later I found out that Kriyat is a nightly prayer said by devout Jews before retiring. By which time the name was stuck in my brain... }}: \  I still haven't changed it.

-=- Kesvirit

Abbot Nej vIt
Thought Master

« Reply #20 on: 06 26, 2005, 09:39: AM »

Brian Star,

I Like Your Idea... It Could be a Great Staring Place for those willing to Do Just a little Bit Of Research...

Kesvirit,

So Was this Character an NPC in a Role Play? Or A Person in a Story?

Kesvirit
Her Nibbs
Administrator
Thought Master

« Reply #21 on: 06 26, 2005, 03:50: PM »

Kesvirit,

So Was this Character an NPC in a Role Play? Or A Person in a Story?
This one was, and still is, a character in an ongoing series of stories that will never be finished. }}: \

-=- Kesvirit
« Last Edit: 06 26, 2005, 03:50: PM by Kesvirit » Logged

qoSagh
Thought Master

« Reply #22 on: 06 26, 2005, 06:45: PM »

Since we are speaking of the Ursine qualities of the one, I have to relate this story. A few years ago I was in Las Vegas and of course made the pilgrimage to the Star Trek Experience. There in the Gift Shop was a majestic looking Klingon Teddy Bear, standing in full armor (not the one with the bad plastic headpiece). I knew I was bringing the bear home with me, and of course there was only one name I could give him........KODIAK. So now he sits in a place of honor, right next to his targh, which was on of the Star Trek beenies and just happens to fit to scale with the bear.

qoSagh qlIStIy
Kesvirit
Her Nibbs
Administrator
Thought Master

« Reply #23 on: 06 26, 2005, 11:01: PM »

Kai the Ursine One, and all the Kodiaks of Klindom! }}: D

Zan qoSagh, do you have a picture of the most honorable bear you would like to have added to the post? (Click here for instructions on getting the hypothetical picture posted.)

-=- Kesvirit
« Last Edit: 06 26, 2005, 11:02: PM by Kesvirit » Logged

qoSagh
Thought Master

« Reply #24 on: 06 27, 2005, 11:36: PM »

As for the bear, no pictures yet, although I have thought off and on of a T-Shirt idea. The Bear and his targh, against some type of interesting backround. With the caption underneath that reads "Klingons are not cute"

It has also occured to me that I have used a similar method to the german one in developing some Klingon words & names. Both the name qaptaQ and the title meycha come from non-english words. One is Japanese and the other I think is Egyptian. They were both adapted into Klingon spelling/pronunciation using trial and  error with TKD as a guide.  
« Last Edit: 06 30, 2005, 07:11: PM by qoSagh » Logged

qoSagh qlIStIy
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: