Klingon Imperial Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
12 12, 2017, 02:41: AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Thu 26Jul2012:
     Due to security issues file attchments are disabled for the time being.  We are invenvestigating the impact to the board and working to ensure our forums are clean and trustworthy.   In the mean time you can email your attachments to Kesvirit and/or Klythe along with which message you want them attached to and we will add them.

11894 Posts in 1664 Topics by 689 Members
Latest Member: regdun234
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  Klingon Imperial Forums
|-+  Klingon Language & Culture
| |-+  Klingon Language
| | |-+  The "opposite" of pIqaD? What is Klingon for "Latin script"?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The "opposite" of pIqaD? What is Klingon for "Latin script"?  (Read 321 times)
jfxamilton
One Post Wonder

« on: 07 13, 2017, 03:05: AM »

Hello :

I can't seem to figure out (if it exists at all) the word for our style of writing. That is to say, pIqaD is the Klingon alphabet; what would they call the style of writing that we use? I hesitate to think that "Federation script (DIvI' pIqaD)" is correct. (Does pIqaD even mean "script" or only specifically the Klingon script? Similarly, I know that the Federation language is English, but that doesn't necessarily distinguish Latin writing from, say, Cyrillic or Arabic.)

Thanks in advance for your answers or suggestions.
TelpeH
Novice

« Reply #1 on: 07 28, 2017, 07:30: AM »

It is just the klingon writing system. It doesnt mean anything. Check that out in TDK. If you interpret it as a sentence it means we challenge you. I strongly suggest downloading the blQwI' app to help. boQwI' is Klingon for assistant. Also KLI.org the learn Klingon fb group is good too. Also KAG.org has a good database.

Qapla'
Klythe
ngem Sargh lIghwI' pagh cha'
Administrator
Thought Master

When a show of teeth doesn't work, bite deeply.

« Reply #2 on: 07 28, 2017, 11:09: PM »

Klingon doesn't really have a way of differentiating Proper Names from common nouns, so we probably can't know if the most famous Klingon writing system has been named pIqaD for some long forgotten reason or if pIqaD is a word that can refer to any writing system that is in some way Klingon.   If I were to make an attempt to express that something was written using the Latin alphabet as a Klingon, I would generally use tera'ngan ghItlh (terran writing).  I may be wrong, but I expect that would get the point across.

If you need to distinguish between Latin and Cyrillic, then you will find there are no words for Terran ideas.   It's like asking what is the word for targh is in English.  There isn't a word in English for alien animals, so we take their word for it and transliterate the sounds to make it pronounceable to English speakers and you get the word "targ".   Same process with Klingons, you would import the word, shift the sounds as needed and if you are an honorable word warrior you will mark it as a foreign word, conventionally with *asterisks* or italics.   *latIn* ghItlh HIyanbe'. *Ser'Il'Iq* HIyan "Do not use 'Latin' writing.  Use 'Cyrillic' writing."    And yes different people may choose different Klingon spellings, and we can argue which are more or less correct, but mostly get as close as you can to the sounds and most Klingon speakers will puzzle it out, or skip transliteration entirely since you are making the words as captured foreign words.
« Last Edit: 08 23, 2017, 04:56: PM by Klythe » Logged
qoSagh
Warrior Bard of the Ontological
Thought Master

« Reply #3 on: 08 06, 2017, 08:35: PM »

I always thought that pIqaD meant alphabet, or at the very least writing system in a very generic sense. To mix generations I think of it in very Klinonaase terms as the tool we use for showing words. So I am not sure there would be an opposite. The would of course be other alphabets, and as with any two languages when going form one to the other there would be a fair amount of transliteration, especially in cases where direct translation is not possible. 

qoSagh qlIStIy
meycha of the qaptaQ www.qaptaQ.org
Prothonotary of the Desert Rite
"I would kill the children of a thousand planets, just to see you smile."
Klythe
ngem Sargh lIghwI' pagh cha'
Administrator
Thought Master

When a show of teeth doesn't work, bite deeply.

« Reply #4 on: 08 23, 2017, 05:00: PM »

I'll have to dig deeper into that.  As Okrand is a linguist, I'd have expected him to have added the linguistics term for a general system of writing a language, "an orthography".   But I know I expect many things that do not happen.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: