Klingon Imperial Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
04 22, 2018, 08:25: AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Thu 26Jul2012:
     Due to security issues file attchments are disabled for the time being.  We are invenvestigating the impact to the board and working to ensure our forums are clean and trustworthy.   In the mean time you can email your attachments to Kesvirit and/or Klythe along with which message you want them attached to and we will add them.

11898 Posts in 1666 Topics by 692 Members
Latest Member: smithassignment1
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  Klingon Imperial Forums
|-+  Klingon Language & Culture
| |-+  Klingon Language
| | |-+  Requests for Translations
| | | |-+  Klingon Spelling of Name Request
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Klingon Spelling of Name Request  (Read 490 times)
kaG
One Post Wonder

« on: 06 23, 2017, 06:56: PM »

Greetings all! Apologies if this type of request has been asked ad nauseam, but I would like to refer to an expert in the Klingon language as accuracy is of most importance. I am an extreme novice to the language and would love expert assistance. I need my daughter's name translated into Klingon for an art piece. Specifically her name in Klingon characters as well as her birth date/star date. Please and Thank you in advance! Her name is Ezri B'Elanna born 10/04/16.
kahless62003
Newcomer

« Reply #1 on: 06 29, 2017, 10:10: PM »

Unfortunately it looks like Ezri is a Trill name, so the best we can do is approximate something as tlhIngan Hol lacks an analogue of the z character sound.

Maybe something like the following is close in sound:
'eSrIy (sounds like esh-ree), or perhaps
'eSrI (sounds like esh-ri)

Further I have two different optional tlhIngan Hol spellings of B'ellana:
beylana and
be'elana

We can precede the date with a label like:
boghpu'ghach poH: (date of birth)
poHvam boghpu' ghaH: (she was born on this date)
In both cases you can precede the word poH with Hov (HovpoH) to say stardate instead.

I am not sure which number in that date refers to the day or the month, so if I assume a sensible format where 10/04/16 refers to the tenth day of the fourth month of the year 2016, we can refer to the date like this:
tera' HovpoH: jaj wa'maHDIch, jar loS, DIS cha'-pagh-wa'-jav
(earth stardate: day tenth, month four, year 2-0-1-6)

Note in all cases the words are case-sensitive and the apostrophes are compulsory letters, not punctuation.

To get the Klingon pIqaD (alien script) for these words, I'd recommend installing some of the unicode-mapping fonts detailed on the Klingonwiki:
www.klingonwiki.net/En/Fonts

And converting to pIqaD using the converter at:
http://yellowantphil.com/pIqaD_converter.php

HTH
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: