Klingon Imperial Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
02 25, 2018, 05:48: PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Realtime chats are now following a freeform schedule.  If you would like to chat with you fellows please see the It's Talk Time thread for more info or to schedule a chat.
11896 Posts in 1665 Topics by 691 Members
Latest Member: jackusopiffeza
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  Klingon Imperial Forums
|-+  Klingon Guilds
| |-+  Klingon Line Registry
| | |-+  General house & family line discussions
| | | |-+  Popularity of the Reshtarc Line
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Popularity of the Reshtarc Line  (Read 6548 times)
Kesvirit
Her Nibbs
Administrator
Thought Master

That which does not kill me, must have missed me.

« on: 09 10, 2005, 06:04: AM »

quoth qoSagh in the Joining Houses/Lines in Fandom thread:
They [FASA] initially listed several houses that players could develop characters and be a part of. At one point these were the only houses allowed in most clubs. Probably the most famous of these houses is Reshtarc, which is still alive and well and dominates many clubs.

Why did Reshtarc become so popular? Especially as it seems to be at the expense of other FASA houses? Was it developed in greater depth than others in the moduals, thus giving fans more to work from, or...?

-=- Kesvirit the Houseless

Richard the Sound Guy: "And the next person to lecture me about canon risks getting shot out of one! Right, gaffers?"
Gaffers make appreciative and supportive remarks in the form of bad imitations of primate calls from the direction of the lighting grids.
qoSagh
Warrior Bard of the Ontological
Thought Master

« Reply #1 on: 09 10, 2005, 01:28: PM »

As far as I know it was no better developed than the others. I think the way it was portrayed led many to join it. The Klingon Encyclopedia says: The most powerful of the family lines in the late 2200's. Lead by Governor and High Council Member Kullor epetai Reshtarc, the house is composed entirely of Imperial Race Klingons and leads the movement for racial purity. Now I think that the popularity may have started there but obviously has been a torch carried by the fan-members of the house. I have seen Restarc be a major house in almost every club out there. I know when I first joined the Karizan Empire, one of the two members that were instrumental in welcoming me was a Reshtarc. I know that the line is very prominent in KLAW and KAG. One thing that is interesting is that each club seems to always have an epetai Reshtarc, yet I have never heard of anything close to dueling epetai. This was in fact the basis for my theory on regional epetai.

qoSagh qlIStIy
meycha of the qaptaQ www.qaptaQ.org
Prothonotary of the Desert Rite
"I would kill the children of a thousand planets, just to see you smile."
Abbot Nej vIt
Highly Opinionated Klingon
Thought Master

"I Will Take the Conquerer Ceasers Salad... Now!"

« Reply #2 on: 09 12, 2005, 07:17: PM »

Interestingly this has Been of Recent Discussion within the 4th Fleet... When I First Joined the Club there was a Lot of Recruiting for Various Lines Going on, It Took about Two Years but at the Height of our Membership in the Mid 90's There were Essentially Two Lines Which Dominated the Playing Field... Both Were Lead by Fairly Charismatic Role-players, but they Had Another thing in Common as well which was an almost Abnoxious Level of Recruiting Ferver... It is in my Experience not so Uncommon for New Members to Join the House of their Recruiter... Although we Still Had At Least a Dozen other Lines Represented the Two Big Dogs were the Reshtarc and the Lorenssith... Both of these Local Line Lords are No Longer in the Club yet their Lines Remain Prominent...

So how does that Answer your Question? I am Not sure that it Does Fan-wide, but in terms of our little Corner of the Empire I Think it was Mostly A Matter of Two Things the Above Mentioned Charisma of the Then Leader, and the Implication that "Imperials" were Superior Characters to play, there are other Imperial Lines (Including my Own), but none have ever Rallied on Racial Purity like the Reshtarc...

Archbishop Nej vIt SutaI-H'Nter,
Spiritual Advisor to K.L.A.W. 4th Fleet,
Abbot, Dugh toy'wI' Library
qoSagh
Warrior Bard of the Ontological
Thought Master

« Reply #3 on: 09 13, 2005, 03:21: PM »

When a charismatic line leader leaves the club (or fandom in general) it can sometimes be bad for the line. The Reshtarc can even survive the loss of a charismatic leader and still maintain the standards. I guess that is an area where the FASA lines will be at an advantage, since no fan truly owns the name, there is always the chance of a new member simply showing up. I have seen fan made lines thrive, and I have seen them die, I have had that debate with others about the need to recruit to keep a line going. But what is interesting to me about the Reshtarc is that not only is it a very popular line, but it's members usually rise up to high ranks, or otherwise become some of the most active in many clubs. If there were one organization that pushed members in these directions, I could see this, but we know that each branch of the house is entirely independent and may never have met the other branches.

qoSagh qlIStIy
meycha of the qaptaQ www.qaptaQ.org
Prothonotary of the Desert Rite
"I would kill the children of a thousand planets, just to see you smile."
Abbot Nej vIt
Highly Opinionated Klingon
Thought Master

"I Will Take the Conquerer Ceasers Salad... Now!"

« Reply #4 on: 09 14, 2005, 03:34: PM »

For my own House (Which I did not Create, though it is a Fan Created Line), there are few of us left and I have never seen a H'Nter outside of 4th Fleet... Currently there are only Six Personas (Two of Which are Mine), that still use the Name actively (From the 15 or so at the Height of the Houses Popularity)... I am Fairly Confidant that this Line will never Extend Beyond the 4th Fleet... (Ironically One of the Oldest Members of the House Jumped Ship a few years back and Became a Reshtarc, and in Fact Currently Serves as the Reshtarc Line Lord for the Fleet...<Chortle>...)

The Second Line from my Earlier Post on the Other Hand, (The Lorenssith), Not only has Survived beyond the Active Membership of it's Creator, but also has Jumped Clubs, there are a Few Lorenssith out there who were Never Members of K.L.A.W. 4th Fleet... This is, in my Experience,  a Rare Success however...

Archbishop Nej vIt SutaI-H'Nter,
Spiritual Advisor to K.L.A.W. 4th Fleet,
Abbot, Dugh toy'wI' Library
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: