Klingon Imperial Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
12 11, 2017, 05:15: PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Thu 26Jul2012:
     Due to security issues file attchments are disabled for the time being.  We are invenvestigating the impact to the board and working to ensure our forums are clean and trustworthy.   In the mean time you can email your attachments to Kesvirit and/or Klythe along with which message you want them attached to and we will add them.

11894 Posts in 1664 Topics by 689 Members
Latest Member: regdun234
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  Klingon Imperial Forums
|-+  Klingon Guilds
| |-+  Klingon Programmers Guild
| | |-+  "Well, how did I get here?"
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: "Well, how did I get here?"  (Read 7790 times)
Kesvirit
Her Nibbs
Administrator
Thought Master

That which does not kill me, must have missed me.

« on: 05 31, 2005, 08:17: PM »

<David Byrne> And you may ask yourself, "Well, how did I get here?" And you may ask yourself, "How do I work this?"...</David Byrne>

If you have found yourself at these Forums, you have access to some sort of computer and internet connection.  So, how did you get here? What variety of box, network, and/or connection brings you to the Forums?

I get here on a 15" G4 PowerBook named Tombstone, and, at the moment, a part-time DSL connection generously provided by my neighbor and an ethernet card.  As the signal is unreliable I also have a dial-up account with a nearby ISP.

When Tombstone is in for repairs (as it had been four times in the six months since I bought it), its duties are assumed by Frisbee, a prematurely decrepit five-year-old 12" G3 iBook that has all the stability of a drunken targh on waterskis during a hurricane.

*growls* Both SBC-Yahoo and the Friut-Crested Corporation have a lot to answer for...

-=- Kesvirit
« Last Edit: 06 03, 2005, 12:55: AM by Kesvirit » Logged

Richard the Sound Guy: "And the next person to lecture me about canon risks getting shot out of one! Right, gaffers?"
Gaffers make appreciative and supportive remarks in the form of bad imitations of primate calls from the direction of the lighting grids.
tmk1000
Old Guard
Klingon Conversationalist

« Reply #1 on: 06 02, 2005, 05:12: AM »

My computer has been pasted together from many other computers so i can't say the make of it.Works good (most of the time  >>}:=/   )

I to have DSL but not for much longer am thinking of moving to satilight.

{ro'qegh'Iwchab HInob.}

"May your coordinates be free of tribbles."
   {QuvlIjDaq yIH tu'be'lu'jaj.}
Abbot Nej vIt
Highly Opinionated Klingon
Thought Master

"I Will Take the Conquerer Ceasers Salad... Now!"

« Reply #2 on: 06 02, 2005, 10:35: PM »

I am Actually Using My Daughters HP, (Not My Idea, BTW, it was a Yule-tide Gift)... And the Un reliable Access is Via Slow as Pipious Juice Dial Up... (NO DSL in my Area)... But I Do Have a Pretty Kewl Klingon Desk Top Theme, repleat with Clever Beeps and Buzzes associated with Klingon Culture...

Archbishop Nej vIt SutaI-H'Nter,
Spiritual Advisor to K.L.A.W. 4th Fleet,
Abbot, Dugh toy'wI' Library
Klythe
ngem Sargh lIghwI' pagh cha'
Administrator
Thought Master

When a show of teeth doesn't work, bite deeply.

« Reply #3 on: 10 27, 2005, 07:06: AM »

I'm much like TMK, home brew PC, with DSL connection.

If you will allow me to bore you with the details you will see that I have:

AMD Athlon XP 2800+  (2.08Ghz)
1 Gigabyte of RAM
Soyo Dragon Ultra 400 in Black
120 Gig Hard drive
MSI NX 6600 (GeForce 6600 chipset) video card
Neovo 19 inch Black LCD monitor
Lighted Speed adjustable CPU fan
Lighted Power Supply with UV reactive cables ...
Black case
Black removable drive bay, CD Storage bay, Floppy, and CD drives
Red and Black Microsoft Intellimouse Wireless Explorer 2.0
Black Keyboard with storage try

I aslo access the forums from my computer at work, when the boss thinks I'm working...

Eventually I'll get the CF Wifi card working on my Sharp Zaurus SL-C3000 palmtop and sometimes access the forums that way.

For those of you who won't let me bore...  You will find none of that!  Ha!
D'Ghor epetai-Darj
Courier

Line Lord of House Darj

« Reply #4 on: 08 14, 2008, 05:51: PM »

I have two computers at home, one HP Pavillion desktop (2002) on XP Pro Sp3. It is pretty much guttless so I baught a CompaQ Notebook just a few months ago and I am happy with it for now. I prefer to own MAC but due to funds I have yet been able to aquire one.

I am on DSL ay home...ATT/Yahoo. So far so good, it is more affordable than cable, (by $35 to $40). We do not use a home phone just cell phones so it isn't worth getting any of the packages that cable offers.

AT work I am on a Dell OPTIPLEX 745 and packed with plenty of memory (2GB RAM) and a a very fast LAN connection, (not sure what it is rated, I know it is higher than a T3) but I am limited to what sites I can browse too. Very few out of USA sites and even fewer in USA sites...lol. I work for the US Govt.

Sogh D'Ghor vestai-Darj
CO IKV SuvwI'po' (Skilled Warriors)
KAG Stormrider Fleet Quartermaster
Ship's Website
SoplaHtaHwI'
Senior Strategist

yuchvaD vIqvaD je jIyIn

« Reply #5 on: 08 24, 2008, 10:33: PM »

My "work horse" is a brand X laptop with 764 Mb of RAM and Ubuntu on it
I used to use the Pentium 4 with 768 Mb of Ram and W2K, but that's going to be phased out/refurbished and used as a download pc/IRC logger.

The P4 is about 4 years old, the lowly laptop a mere two. For it's age it is pretty bad... It only had 224 Mb of RAM to begin with, no wireless, no PCMCIA to add a nice wireless card, and only USB, which is hard to get wireless to work on under Linux...

I currently am at a friend's and using her laptop, which has 2Gb and Vista on it.
I do have two more PCs, but both are in dire need of repair, and besides, there is a new PC/Server on the way. It will not be used to access the forum much though. If at all...

At home I have a 16Mbit ADSL connection, sharing it with 5 other people. (but I'm the one that pays the bulk and administers it)
I don't have the nitty gritty of all of this at hand, sadly...

I am Actually Using My Daughters HP, (Not My Idea, BTW, it was a Yule-tide Gift)... And the Un reliable Access is Via Slow as Pipious Juice Dial Up... (NO DSL in my Area)... But I Do Have a Pretty Kewl Klingon Desk Top Theme, repleat with Clever Beeps and Buzzes associated with Klingon Culture...
Dear Abbot...
I might call on you to acquire these beeps and buzzes, when I get my head around how to create a theme for my preferred OS... 8-)

[Edit -- merged double post]
« Last Edit: 08 25, 2008, 06:52: AM by Kesvirit » Logged

qa'pIn [SoplaHtaHwI'] qI'meQ vIghro''a'
yuch betleH 'obe' la'quv
Khemorex-Klinzhai member, IKEF member
Dishonored Captain of the former spacecraft qaDwI' Doq
Kesvirit
Her Nibbs
Administrator
Thought Master

That which does not kill me, must have missed me.

« Reply #6 on: 08 25, 2008, 07:18: AM »

I was ranting about this a few days ago. Tombstone, who was introduced in the initial post of this thread, has since gone through three hard drives, two optical drives, an external hard drive, a casing(!), a screen hinge, and whatever you call the board on the side where the power/phone cord/usb/mike feed and one of the video feeds connect. Which brings up an existential question: with so few of the original parts left, is it, in fact, the same Tombstone I bought back in 2004?  As it is, I’d just as soon buy a new machine and turn this one over to Fluffy as a chew toy.

And Frisbee... *sigh* is still Frisbee. Sometimes it boots up, and sometimes it doesn’t, and I think there is mold growing in there. It barely makes for a last-ditch emergency back-up, and then only when it is feeling magnanimous.

At least I have my own full-time DSL account now. At 2.5G (give or take depending on traffic and weather), I’m flying on the bandwidth. If the hardware is compatible and we can get the booster set up, ports forwarded, etc (something I doubt), I hope to get a neighbor access to my wireless.

-=- Kesvirit the Luddite

Richard the Sound Guy: "And the next person to lecture me about canon risks getting shot out of one! Right, gaffers?"
Gaffers make appreciative and supportive remarks in the form of bad imitations of primate calls from the direction of the lighting grids.
K'Voth
Senior Courier

« Reply #7 on: 01 03, 2009, 07:07: PM »

The most cranky system i have ever used.

AMD Athlon 64 3200+ @2ghz
328MB Ram
160GB Internal HDD
500GB External USB HDD
24x DVD RW Drive
Windows XP
ATI Radion XPRESS 200 (128MB)
17" LCD Monitor
Microsoft Wireless Desktop
Realtek AC97 Audio

Currently on a 10mb ADSL Line.

In dire need of having something done to it, Sometimes have been known to use the WiFi connection on my Nokia N95 although that really is infuriating.

Captain K'Voth
IKS Praxis Ascendant
Federation/Klingon RRF
OmnificienT
Scribe

« Reply #8 on: 01 10, 2009, 07:16: PM »

MS-7310
5200+ Athlon X2
2x 2gig Dual channel RAM @ 800mhz
8600GT 256mb
0.5TB 7200rpm HD
1 DVD drive
1 DVD writer
19" SyncMaster 931c
Dual Boot: XP 32-bit + Ubuntu 8.10 32-bit
Creative Soundblaster
Siemens  Wlan Repeater 108 to connect to a wireless network, with ADSL

I think that pretty much sums it up :-D
Berzerker
Scribe

« Reply #9 on: 01 10, 2009, 09:30: PM »

I'm on a work supplied Laptop that seems to fun flawless so far. The interweb connection however leaves much to be desired. I live out of Hotel's mostly and this hotel has high speed  wireless that monitors bandwidth. Once you exceed a certain amount it chokes you down. You get allotted a certain amount per hour and a couple high output web pages kill it pretty quickly.

Berz out.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: