Klingon Imperial Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
12 11, 2017, 05:09: PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
The boards are having problems with email. We are advising members to set your secret questions and answers in case the board can't send email to let you reset lost passwords.
11894 Posts in 1664 Topics by 689 Members
Latest Member: regdun234
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  Klingon Imperial Forums
|-+  Klingon Language & Culture
| |-+  Klingon Language
| | |-+  Requests for Translations
| | | |-+  Translation help
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Translation help  (Read 857 times)
CptPalmer
Newcomer

« on: 08 24, 2016, 06:57: PM »

I am trying to figure out the Klingon alphabet letters that would be equivalent for the word Geocache. So I need a translation for the word and I would like to see it spelled in the Klingon alphabet.
« Last Edit: 08 25, 2016, 12:21: AM by CptPalmer » Logged
qoSagh
Warrior Bard of the Ontological
Thought Master

« Reply #1 on: 08 24, 2016, 11:39: PM »

Well to start I would think you would need to deconstruct Geocache.

Geography / geographic comes to mind but in tlhIngan Hol translations sometimes simple is better, so perhaps go with "location" or "place"

Cache could either mean the container or the contents, but I like to think of i as the contents, think about using "treasure", "prize"or even "goal"

Now remember grammar is often reversed in tlhIngan Hol, so it is not so much "location's prize" or "place's treasure" as it is "prize of a location" or "treasure of a place"

Step two would be to find the actual words, but if you follow this general process you should do OK. If I had my copy of TKD with me I would have better suggestions.

qoSagh qlIStIy
meycha of the qaptaQ www.qaptaQ.org
Prothonotary of the Desert Rite
"I would kill the children of a thousand planets, just to see you smile."
CptPalmer
Newcomer

« Reply #2 on: 08 25, 2016, 03:11: PM »

Thanks for the reply so far.  But I am a complete noob with Klingon so please help.  I do not have any information (i.e. books etc.)  I can really only go off the expert advice of others.
De'vID
Senior Courier

« Reply #3 on: 08 30, 2016, 01:41: PM »

It would help if you explained why you need a Klingon word (in "Klingon alphabet letters") for "geocache". Are you, in fact, labelling a geocache location in Klingon?

One cannot simply translate a term word-by-word. For example, in German, a geocache is called a Geocache, because the term is just borrowed directly from English. In Chinese, geocaching is called 地理藏寶, which literally means something like "geographically hidden treasure".

We don't know what Klingons would call a "geocache", if they engaged in such an activity. Maybe they call it, e.g., "coordinate hunt". We just don't know.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: