Klingon Imperial Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
12 11, 2017, 09:02: PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Thu 26Jul2012:
     Due to security issues file attchments are disabled for the time being.  We are invenvestigating the impact to the board and working to ensure our forums are clean and trustworthy.   In the mean time you can email your attachments to Kesvirit and/or Klythe along with which message you want them attached to and we will add them.

11894 Posts in 1664 Topics by 689 Members
Latest Member: regdun234
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  Klingon Imperial Forums
|-+  Klingon Arts and Media
| |-+  Klingon Poetry and Short Stories
| | |-+  Klingon Poetry
| | | |-+  Klingon Poetry
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Klingon Poetry  (Read 15080 times)
mucter
« on: 03 17, 2004, 05:00: PM »

the thoughts mean nothing to I
as I am a warrior
I am a destroyer
the blood oozes from the sky
but this means nothing to I
as I am a warrior
My eyes stay to the straight
here i can see what to eat and what to mate
« Last Edit: 03 17, 2004, 08:49: PM by Kesvirit » Logged
Kesvirit
Her Nibbs
Administrator
Thought Master

That which does not kill me, must have missed me.

« Reply #1 on: 03 17, 2004, 09:07: PM »

It is most unfortunate that to many Klinfolk, this is the "ultimate" to which the klin has been reduced.

I can only hope that this is an attempt at irony.

-=- Kesvirit
« Last Edit: 03 21, 2004, 11:38: AM by Kesvirit » Logged

Richard the Sound Guy: "And the next person to lecture me about canon risks getting shot out of one! Right, gaffers?"
Gaffers make appreciative and supportive remarks in the form of bad imitations of primate calls from the direction of the lighting grids.
SoplaHtaHwI'
Senior Strategist

yuchvaD vIqvaD je jIyIn

« Reply #2 on: 03 17, 2004, 10:56: PM »

You make it sound as if a warrior is an animal
Klingons might have come from heavy armored, exosceletal creatures, but have since grown and a Klingon warrior cannot suffice being a mere animal that kills, eats and produces offspring.

qa'pIn [SoplaHtaHwI'] qI'meQ vIghro''a'
yuch betleH 'obe' la'quv
Khemorex-Klinzhai member, IKEF member
Dishonored Captain of the former spacecraft qaDwI' Doq
Klythe
ngem Sargh lIghwI' pagh cha'
Administrator
Thought Master

When a show of teeth doesn't work, bite deeply.

« Reply #3 on: 03 17, 2004, 11:55: PM »

Welcome, mucter!   I ask you to forgive the warriors who do not understand your poem.  Do not let them discourage you from writing more poetry to connect warriors to thier instincts to prepare them for the ritual hunts.   It is a good poem for someone of your appearent age, but telling us it is the ultimate does not make it so.   Please in the future use more a descriptive topic name, such as "Untitled Hunting Poem".     Also, you will find that Earther's language is a strange one.   For some reason even though I am the subject, the object is me.

I can only hope that this is an attempt at irony.
You have help me learn to treat forum users with more respect.   Cut the young one some slack.

You make it sound as if a warrior is an animal

And which kingdom would you place Klingons?  Plants?  Microbes?  Fungus?  or Worms?   No Warriors are definately in the animal kingdom.   We are animals.  We are also people.   But for the sake of art, the underlying metaphor of the piece goes beyond hiding our rational minds as irrellevant, instead it attacks it and denies it's existance.   This is valuable as the rational mind is often too slow to respond when the game is afoot.  

Klingons might have come from heavy armored, exosceletal creatures, but have since grown and a Klingon warrior cannot suffice being a mere animal that kills, eats and produces offspring.
   Are you sure I can't?  That's all I've done so far...    Okay, well if you are *that* sure...   *goes off to read a book or something*

There is nothing wrong with a warrior connecting with his feral animal side.  How can we trust our instincts if we refuse to learn to hear them?
« Last Edit: 03 21, 2004, 11:36: AM by Kesvirit » Logged
weslipuqlod
Weaponsmith
Senior Courier

« Reply #4 on: 03 22, 2004, 10:07: PM »

I agree with Klythe.  mucter's poem sounds exactly like a military unit's battle cry, designed to motivate and excite in preparation for the exhilirating clash of battle.

We sang worse in the Corps.
SoplaHtaHwI'
Senior Strategist

yuchvaD vIqvaD je jIyIn

« Reply #5 on: 03 23, 2004, 11:50: PM »

even though I am the subject, the object is me.

But for the sake of art, the underlying metaphor of the piece goes beyond hiding our rational minds as irrellevant

I can be as much a stylistic vehicle, similar to Animal.

I must concede that classing Klingons outside the Animal kingdom was shortsighted....

Are you sure I can't? That's all I've done so far... Okay, well if you are *that* sure... *goes off to read a book or something*

So you can actually read books? That is what I meant. Can you suffice being a dumb breeder only eating, killing and reproducing? I presume you are a reasonably educated person. A wild animal does not need to do anything else.  My words have been chosen carelessly, I admit. cannot should have been can no longer. Even a (fictional) breeder would need some mental excercise...

qa'pIn [SoplaHtaHwI'] qI'meQ vIghro''a'
yuch betleH 'obe' la'quv
Khemorex-Klinzhai member, IKEF member
Dishonored Captain of the former spacecraft qaDwI' Doq
Qurngan
Novice

« Reply #6 on: 10 04, 2006, 11:44: PM »

The definition of a warrior as "Is animal" or "Is not Animal" is a bit polarizedl, can he not be both? And why should a warrior, all warriors, or simply the word warrior be limited to Human, Klingon, or anyother definition?

If I may critique your poem:

It makes no sense to me, even from what I understand of klingons. From my understanding of Klingons, Honor is the most important thing, but in your poem, you make it seem as mating while blood rains from the sky is the epitome of klingonness, or warriorness.

I encourage you to continue, regardless of what I or others think, in a way, that would be showing that you are a warrior, never quiting, pushing ahead on your course, but still, perhaps you would be able to ameliorate your poem for me, I find it difficult to understand it in the sense that you seem to be identifying being a warrior or a Klingon with being a destroyer, why? Do the Klingons not create as well as destroy? If all they did was destroy, how have they lived so long? How does one explain Klingon art? Klingon opera etc?

Killing is a means to an end, for instance, A man who makes cabinets must hammer nails into wood, would you therefore call him a hammerer? Or define him only by his hammering? Because a Klingon kills, that does not make him simply a killer. If a Klingon destroys, that does not make him only a destroyer, as this would be speaking in absolutes which is somewhat inherently pathological. It seems to me that you are seeing yourself as a Klingon through the eyes of a human. This is understandable, but I think it makes for a very confusing image, perhaps that explains why I do not understand your poem very well.
Klythe
ngem Sargh lIghwI' pagh cha'
Administrator
Thought Master

When a show of teeth doesn't work, bite deeply.

« Reply #7 on: 10 07, 2006, 06:12: AM »

So you can actually read books? That is what I meant. Can you suffice being a dumb breeder only eating, killing and reproducing? I presume you are a reasonably educated person. A wild animal does not need to do anything else. 

Some of my characters, notably the Whitefangs would answer that yes, they would be entirely satisfied with a feral existence.   For them it has been only about a thousand years since that is exactly how they did live.  Even highly educated Whitefang have pretty strong instincts though they are less likely to heed them when given the luxury of time to think.

Even Canon Klingons respect their own instinct, though perhaps not quite as much as my Whitefang characters.  They do not have sayings like "Always trust your instincts" if they are at all uncomfortable with the idea of being in a feral state of mind when the situation warrents it....  I did say I didn't think that it was in any way the "ultimate" Klingon poem, but I do think it has a place in connecting warriors to the voice of their blood, their instincts, the beast within.
qoSagh
Warrior Bard of the Ontological
Thought Master

« Reply #8 on: 10 07, 2006, 08:16: PM »

Ahhh I love old battles, they have aged like fine bloodwine.

While I don't think of being a Destroyer as synonymous with being either a Klingon or a warrior, I do see destruction as one aspect of this our most glorious race. It is only through the destruction of our enemies that we can go on with our duty to construct our living empire. And if blood falling from the sky doesn't inspire love poetry than I don't know what does, seems very appropriate to me.

Mating/breeding is possibly a historical follow up to a great battle, in at least two ways. First, I would think that while invigorating, battle brings with it much pain. Mating or at least the act of mating brings with it much pleasure, which could be seen as facilitating the standing down from an alert. Second I would think that with Battle, even a victorious one, causes many casualties. Mating or the creation of life, would likely be an animal response to a reduction in life in battle.

The poem does have it's simplicities, but even as complex as Klingons are, sometimes art does not need to be complicated to be enjoyable. I for one like it for what it is and do not dislike it for what it isn't.

qoSagh qlIStIy
meycha of the qaptaQ www.qaptaQ.org
Prothonotary of the Desert Rite
"I would kill the children of a thousand planets, just to see you smile."
QatanI
Newcomer

« Reply #9 on: 02 22, 2007, 06:14: PM »

I like it.  Cheesy

I want to see some Klingon poerty as it should be written...

As foreplay to the Klingon female... Klingon love poems!

Qapla'
QatanI'
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: