Klingon Imperial Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
12 12, 2017, 09:25: PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Realtime chats are now following a freeform schedule.  If you would like to chat with you fellows please see the It's Talk Time thread for more info or to schedule a chat.
11894 Posts in 1664 Topics by 689 Members
Latest Member: regdun234
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  Klingon Imperial Forums
|-+  Klingon Language & Culture
| |-+  Klingon Language
| | |-+  General Language Discussion in English
| | | |-+  Learning Latin is like learning Klingon
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Learning Latin is like learning Klingon  (Read 1540 times)
QoghtlhIH'u'
Old Guard
Lettered Veteran

qaStaH nuq? toqDuj vImojchoH?

« on: 02 25, 2015, 09:34: PM »

Not that Latin and Klingon are very much alike, but if you want to learn either one of these languages it is hard to find anyone to speak to, to have a two way conversation. Because my son is going to secondary education I gather information about Latin, why it is still taught and how it is taught. To my surprise it turns out that most teachers of the classical languages Latin and classical Greek do not actually speak the language, although there must be thousands of these teachers (at least in the western world).

The reason is of course that despite their numbers in countries where these two languages are still part of the curriculum there are not enough of these teachers around to practice speaking it. It is so much easier for them to speak English, Dutch, Swedish, Spanish or whatever their native tongue is. 

I know, you can find spoken Latin on youtube, but most if not all of those are monologues, perhaps read from a paper or some device for actors and presenters. Even in the Vatican the current pope decided to use Italian instead of Latin as the official language.

What high school students learn is all the conjugations and declensions and use these as Lego bricks to translate texts. That is pretty much the way I first decrypted teres' story tlhoraQ puqloDpu' lut and subsequently wrote my own little story quv 'Iwchab je but with suffixes and prefixes, the Klingon way, a bit easier than conjugating and declensing (?).

To keep children interested in choosing classical languages it seems that the teachers can now join there own version of qepHom to bring their `dead` language to life.
qoSagh
Warrior Bard of the Ontological
Thought Master

« Reply #1 on: 02 28, 2015, 09:48: PM »

My older brother was part of the last class to be able to take 4 years of Latin in High School in our town. When he went to college he was able to find Latin speakers among some of the older Priests at the cathedral, and even found that they got together for conversational Latin over tea. That however was many years ago, and few if any priests speak Latin like that.

I think somewhere in a box of records that I cleaned out of my mother's house was an old copy of Winnie Il Pooh, that had been my Brother's, that is a recording of A.A. Milne's Winnie the Pooh in Latin.

qoSagh qlIStIy
meycha of the qaptaQ www.qaptaQ.org
Prothonotary of the Desert Rite
"I would kill the children of a thousand planets, just to see you smile."
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: