Klingon Imperial Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
12 11, 2017, 11:32: AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Realtime chats are now following a freeform schedule.  If you would like to chat with you fellows please see the It's Talk Time thread for more info or to schedule a chat.
11894 Posts in 1664 Topics by 689 Members
Latest Member: regdun234
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  Klingon Imperial Forums
|-+  Klingon Language & Culture
| |-+  Klingon Language
| | |-+  Talking to a Computer
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Talking to a Computer  (Read 1773 times)
Karna
Novice

« on: 12 23, 2014, 08:23: PM »

I want to create a Klingon phrase to wake up my Motorola Moto X 2014 phone. It can be activated by using a custom phrase, preferably 3 to 4 syllables long. So instead of saying something like, "Ok Moto X" . I thought clipped Klingon would be practical, simple and pretty darn cool. But I don't want to just pull something out of the air and look stupid or offend anyone who might actually understand Klingon while in public.

So I thought "Computer listen / Ij De"wI." would work, although I know it's not a computer. And cease sleeping / vemmoH isn't long enough, though it's more accurate.

An ideas?

Thanks.

[renamed topic to be more useful -Klythe]
« Last Edit: 02 17, 2016, 07:06: AM by Klythe » Logged
De'vID
Senior Courier

« Reply #1 on: 12 23, 2014, 09:09: PM »

There is, in fact, a perfect Klingon phrase for calling a device to attention: SuH or Su' (they're interchangeable). See section 5.5 in The Klingon Dictionary for how to use it.

In Star Trek III, Valkris activates her data transmission device by saying HablI', Su': labbeH. That is, she says the name of the device (HablI'), followed by Su', then the command: labbeH "be ready to transmit".

So you can say, (SuH Moto X) or (De'wI', Su').

Also, note that vemmoH means to wake someone else up. Maybe you meant vemchoH?

p.s. As a matter of etiquette, you shouldn't label your subject "NOOB?" This makes it much harder to see what the thread is about in the forum at a glance.
Karna
Novice

« Reply #2 on: 12 24, 2014, 06:58: PM »

Thanks for the reference and info.

I think I'll go with (De'wI', Su') because the device seems to like longer phrases.
Would vemchoH De'wI make any since as a phrase ?

I'm horrible with English as it is so understanding word structure is a real challenge.

Thanks.
« Last Edit: 12 24, 2014, 07:25: PM by Karna » Logged
De'vID
Senior Courier

« Reply #3 on: 12 24, 2014, 08:51: PM »

I see several problems with vemchoH as a command to a computer.

First, to say that a computer on stand-by is "asleep" is an English idiom. We don't know what Klingons think their computers are doing when they're inactive. Perhaps, like English speakers, they think of them as "asleep". Or perhaps they think of them as dead, and their activation as coming to life. Or perhaps computers on stand-by are like hunters lying in wait, and their activation is like readying to attack. We just don't know. So saying vemchoH to a computer may sound as strange to a Klingon as saying "computer, come to life" or "computer, the prey is near" sounds to us. But we do know that they say SuH or Su' before giving an order to a computer.

Second, I think vemchoH is a little redundant. vem by itself already means to cease sleeping. vemchoH means to change in state to cease sleeping (i.e., something wasn't ceasing to sleep before, but is now ceasing to sleep). It's a little like saying "begin to wake up" in English, instead of just "wake up".

If you absolutely need a longer phrase (because your phone won't recognise a shorter one), you could add superfluous commands, like De'wI', qIm, Su': ... (qIm means "pay attention"). But like I said, it's superfluous, though you could say it if it's necessary. Clipped Klingon is supposed to be compact, so it's a little bit contradictory to your requirement to having a longer phrase.

Karna
Novice

« Reply #4 on: 12 25, 2014, 12:00: AM »

Well I couldn't get vem De'wI', Su to work because it said I paused during the recording. Klingon is spoken kind of choppy so I''ll see what I can get to work.

Maybe use vemqu De'wIHom or a variation of it.
« Last Edit: 12 25, 2014, 05:50: PM by Karna » Logged
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: