Klingon Imperial Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
12 13, 2017, 01:37: AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
The boards are having problems with email. We are advising members to set your secret questions and answers in case the board can't send email to let you reset lost passwords.
11894 Posts in 1664 Topics by 689 Members
Latest Member: regdun234
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  Klingon Imperial Forums
|-+  Klingon Language & Culture
| |-+  Klingon Language
| | |-+  Requests for Translations
| | | |-+  "Crusade/Campaign/Jihad"
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: "Crusade/Campaign/Jihad"  (Read 1407 times)
Kuragh
Newcomer

« on: 12 16, 2014, 10:09: AM »

Hello!

I am a fan-fiction writer working on a story about a civil war within the empire. I was wondering if there exists a Klingon word for the concept of a crusade, a noble quest to somewhere distant that requires a lot of effort to get to. I would assume that it originated in the early days of Klingon space exploration - I envision all of the Great Houses building carrier ships and loading their best warriors onto them for a long voyage to some distant star system that they want to conquer.

Any help that you can offer would be much appreciated.
De'vID
Senior Courier

« Reply #1 on: 12 16, 2014, 10:32: AM »

In Klingon for the Galactic Traveler, around p.48, it talks about the language used to describe missions. The word for a mission is Qu', and missions usually have names like targh Qu' "Operation Targ". I'd suggest getting that book and reading that section for background for your story.

I'm not aware of a specific term for a crusade (something like a grand mission, or series of missions), but it's easy enough to describe one using known terminology. In Klingon, there is an augmentative suffix which makes a noun into a more important or greater form. To use an example, mIv means "helmet", while mIv'a' means "crown". So Qu''a' would mean something that's like a mission or quest, but much greater in significance, possibly like a crusade. Another possibility is to use the adjectival verb quv "be honored, be honorable". The Klngon High Council, for example, is called the yejquv in Klingon (yej means "council"). A Qu' quv would therefore be "an honorable quest", or a "high quest", so to speak. Again, that might be something like a crusade. Which term you go for depends on whether your characters think of the mission in terms of its grandness, or in terms of its righteousness.

Depending on the magnitude of the noble quest you're describing, you might even describe it as a Qu''a' quv "an honorable high quest", something like a grand crusade (the entire Empire is involved and its existence depends on its success). But be careful not to exaggerate too much. Klingons don't like it when you exaggerate, especially when you're talking about matters of military importance or when it involves honour.
Kuragh
Newcomer

« Reply #2 on: 12 16, 2014, 11:30: AM »

Thank you, De'vID, that's extremely useful and informative. I'll get my hands on a copy of the book.

I think Qu' quv is the strongest contender, because I want the idea of the crusade to be very bound up in the kind of honour that's supposed to be shown by the heads of the great houses. Noble Klingons who don't participate should hold their honour cheaply.

Thanks again for the help. I may be back with other queries as the story progresses, and I will make sure to thank you and the forums in the attributions!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: