Klingon Imperial Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
12 13, 2017, 01:37: AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Thu 26Jul2012:
     Due to security issues file attchments are disabled for the time being.  We are invenvestigating the impact to the board and working to ensure our forums are clean and trustworthy.   In the mean time you can email your attachments to Kesvirit and/or Klythe along with which message you want them attached to and we will add them.

11894 Posts in 1664 Topics by 689 Members
Latest Member: regdun234
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  Klingon Imperial Forums
|-+  Klingon Language & Culture
| |-+  Klingon Language
| | |-+  Reconciling a klingonaase phrase with tlhIngan Hol pronunciation ...
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Reconciling a klingonaase phrase with tlhIngan Hol pronunciation ...  (Read 1637 times)
MPerez
Scribe

« on: 11 06, 2014, 09:43: AM »

Since there is no X sound in thlingan hol what might be the closest approximation of the 'nal komerex khesterex' phrase of Ford's books?  Anybody come up with a version of this already or is it just easier to say that its a different language?

Nal Komerex Khesterex.
chalvatlh
Klingon formerly Known as Fraek
Discoursing Diplomat

In order to succeed, you must enjoy eating poison!

« Reply #1 on: 11 06, 2014, 11:16: AM »

Since there is no X sound in thlingan hol what might be the closest approximation of the 'nal komerex khesterex' phrase of Ford's books?  Anybody come up with a version of this already or is it just easier to say that its a different language?
i think it's safe to say that it's a different language; the two are much too different to be reconciled.

On Earth, the letter "x" is pronounced "ks" in some languages, but in other's it's pronounced more like the Klingon H, so that sems like one option when calquibg klingonaase words into tlhIngan Hol.
I could also see tlh being used, or even t (since this is an aspirated t, and thus sounds almost a bit like "ts").

Probably best to just write it with the same spelling that Ford used, or perhaps using the Klinzhai alphabet. However, if I had to write it in pIqaD for some reason, I'd probaly go with:

nal qo'mereH QeStereH

or

nal qo'meretlh QeSteretlh
MPerez
Scribe

« Reply #2 on: 11 06, 2014, 07:06: PM »

Thanks chalvatlh! 

That's actually a superb option.  I guess the trouble with the varying languages is intermixing them when the sounds mean different things.  Maybe what I should really try to do is figure out how to say "that which does not grow, dies" in thlingan hol rather than make the existing phrase in klingonaase sound or look right...

Nal Komerex Khesterex.
qoSagh
Warrior Bard of the Ontological
Thought Master

« Reply #3 on: 11 11, 2014, 07:26: PM »

I would say that neither H nor tlh sound all that much like x. However the key to transliteration is often dependent on what x actually is. In this case it is roughly ks. So lets look at how we transliterate those letters into tlhIngan Hol. s is easy as it is generally the same as S. k is most often exchanged with q, although sometimes with Q. While the dictionary lists Q as a more forceful q, fandom often uses it to replace the sound of kr, at least when it is at the begining of the word. At the end of the word it often takes the more pronounced sound that it should have. While is lacks the s sound at the end, I think it makes the point nicely, especially since q would appear at the beginning of the word.

now we have nal qomereQ qeStereQ, not quite where we need to be but still more in keeping with the hard k sound than H does and not as difficult to end on as tlh can sometimes be.

When explaining things like this in character, I usually say that Dr. Tagore spelled these with the closesest human letters available but as he was not a native speaker his work regretably lead to years of mispronunciations by off worlders.

Now there is another option but I only use it when writing in piqaD. I think it lead folks in the wrong direction writing in human letters. That is to use two different Klingon fonts. one for klingonaase and the other for tlhIngan Hol.

qoSagh qlIStIy
meycha of the qaptaQ www.qaptaQ.org
Prothonotary of the Desert Rite
"I would kill the children of a thousand planets, just to see you smile."
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: