Klingon Imperial Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
12 13, 2017, 01:30: AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Thu 26Jul2012:
     Due to security issues file attchments are disabled for the time being.  We are invenvestigating the impact to the board and working to ensure our forums are clean and trustworthy.   In the mean time you can email your attachments to Kesvirit and/or Klythe along with which message you want them attached to and we will add them.

11894 Posts in 1664 Topics by 689 Members
Latest Member: regdun234
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  Klingon Imperial Forums
|-+  Klingon Language & Culture
| |-+  Klingon Social Studies
| | |-+  Origins of the word/concept "klin"?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Origins of the word/concept "klin"?  (Read 5874 times)
Kesvirit
Her Nibbs
Administrator
Thought Master

That which does not kill me, must have missed me.

« on: 10 04, 2003, 11:39: AM »

posted on 9-28-2002 at 09:38 AM

Origins of the word/concept "klin"?

I know this is a long shot, but can anyone recall coming across the word "klin" in the pre-Trek era? (Yes, there actually was one. Hard to believe, isn't it? Wink ) I'd really like to be able to talk to John Ford and ask him, among other things, where he first came across the word in context and how he developed the concept. As it is unlikely that I will ever cross paths with him, does anyone else know? At this point I'd settle for hearsay if no one's got a source.

- Kesvirit

Richard the Sound Guy: "And the next person to lecture me about canon risks getting shot out of one! Right, gaffers?"
Gaffers make appreciative and supportive remarks in the form of bad imitations of primate calls from the direction of the lighting grids.
qoretlh
Newcomer

« Reply #1 on: 10 04, 2003, 11:43: AM »

posted on 9-28-2002 at 03:55 PM

Origin of "klin"

The name/word "Klingon" came from someone Gene Roddenberry knew during WWII. While flying in the Pacific campaign, young Lt Roddenberry had a mechanic named "Klingon". This is a germanic name, after a type of hunting knife. Like many Japanese-Americans who were sent to the European front, German-American were often sent to the Pacific, so that they could not possibly be mistaken for the enemy.
I don't have a direct quote in front of me, but I don't believe the use of his name was intended as an homage, merely that GR thought it was a cool sounding name. He'd put it into his notes for various Sci-Fi projects.
When it came time to name these aggressive aliens, they wanted something that sounded aggressive. The sharp cuttting sound of "k's" fit nicely.
Mike Ford wrote his own interpretation of Klingons nearly 15 years after the name Klingon had been accepted into Canon.
As for his explanation of the word "klin" as the root of that... He did mention at last years GalactiCon (a GREAT little Klingon event, go there sometime!) that he was either going to turn over some notes, or even write something new about "Klingonaase," to the Klingon Language Institute.
Members of the KLI will then recieve portions of that in the quarterly Journal; HolQeD (which we recieve free, as part of membership).
I'm sure Dr Mike will make good on his word, but don't hold your breath, as he's had some health issues these last few years.
He's getting much better now, so look for his new books. At least two are coming out this year, and a fine Detective compilation last year.
qoretlh
Newcomer

« Reply #2 on: 10 04, 2003, 11:45: AM »

posted on 9-28-2002 at 03:59 PM

Origin of "klin"

HIvqa' veqlargh!

The name mentioned before should have been "Klinger." The reference was Gene Roddenberry's unauthorized biography: "Star Trek Creator" by David Alexander.
Kesvirit
Her Nibbs
Administrator
Thought Master

That which does not kill me, must have missed me.

« Reply #3 on: 10 04, 2003, 11:56: AM »

posted on 9-30-2002 at 07:00 AM

Origins of "klin"

Originally posted by qoretlh The name/word "Klingon" came from someone Gene Roddenberry knew during WWII. While flying in the Pacific campaign, young Lt Roddenberry had a mechanic named "Klingon".
I'd heard it was taken from a friend from GR's LA cop days named Sgt.Clingon (note the "C"), though I can't quote a source.

***As for his explanation of the word "klin" as the root of that... He did mention at last years GalactiCon (a GREAT little Klingon event, go there sometime!) that he was either going to turn over some notes, or even write something new about "Klingonaase," to the Klingon Language Institute.
Members of the KLI will then recieve portions of that in the quarterly Journal; HolQeD (which we recieve free, as part of membership).

Will there any way for non-members to get ahold of that info when it comes out?

The reason I ask is that I remember hearing the word as a child, post TOS but pre-Ford. I have no idea as to how it was spelled or its derivation. The few people I've been able to find from then remember the word and agree on the general meaning but have no idea where it came from.

In the context I learnt it, it meant something along the lines of "force-of-personality". Not aggression, not quite charisma, but something one both has intrinsically and can draw upon. But, like charisma, stage presence, "leadership", or the ability to do advanced maths, you either have it or you don't. It's not something one can learn. I was wondering if it was something Ford incorporated into his concept of "klin".

I'm sure Dr Mike will make good on his word, but don't hold your breath, as he's had some health issues these last few years.
He's getting much better now, so look for his new books. At least two are coming out this year, and a fine Detective compilation last year.
Good to hear that he's recovering and writing again!
Anyone know why he only did the two Trek books?

- Kesvirit
« Last Edit: 10 06, 2003, 03:59: PM by Kesvirit » Logged

Richard the Sound Guy: "And the next person to lecture me about canon risks getting shot out of one! Right, gaffers?"
Gaffers make appreciative and supportive remarks in the form of bad imitations of primate calls from the direction of the lighting grids.
kmtal
Scribe

« Reply #4 on: 10 04, 2003, 12:00: PM »

posted on 8-16-2003 at 11:12 PM

klingon origin

during gene's time as a la cop, he befriened lt wilbur clingan, hense klingon. it says so in the trek encyclopedia.

K'mtal
Back at last.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: