Klingon Imperial Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
12 11, 2017, 06:55: PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Thu 26Jul2012:
     Due to security issues file attchments are disabled for the time being.  We are invenvestigating the impact to the board and working to ensure our forums are clean and trustworthy.   In the mean time you can email your attachments to Kesvirit and/or Klythe along with which message you want them attached to and we will add them.

11894 Posts in 1664 Topics by 689 Members
Latest Member: regdun234
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  Klingon Imperial Forums
|-+  Klingon Language & Culture
| |-+  Klingon Language
| | |-+  Requests for Translations
| | | |-+  Translation for 'I like you anyway'
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Translation for 'I like you anyway'  (Read 2405 times)
vay
Newcomer

« on: 07 04, 2014, 10:25: PM »

I kind of have problems finding the right translation for this phrase as I'm just beginning to learn Klingon. I put my attempt of thranslation into the brackets.
 My attempts so far were either "qaparHa 'a" (i -> you hate not though) or "qaparHa 'ach" (i -> you hate not though) or "jIH rur SoH 'a"(from Translator: I like you though) or "jI qarur 'a (or just qarur 'a ?)" (I->you like anyway) but I don't know in which of these the grammar is most correct or correct at all...  Thanks for any help!!!
De'vID
Senior Courier

« Reply #1 on: 07 06, 2014, 08:27: AM »

When you ask for a translation, providing context helps a lot. That said, "I like you anyway" probably means something like qaparHa'nISbe' 'ach qaparHa' "I don't need to like you but I do".

You can't end a proper sentence on 'a or 'ach. But you can stop mid-sentence for effect: qaparHa'nISbe' 'ach... "I don't need to like you but..." Note that you elide a different part of the sentence in English.

The verb rur means "resemble" (i.e., "to be like..."), so qarur means "I resemble you", "I am like you", and not "I like you". Don't ever use Bing translator for Klingon.
vay
Newcomer

« Reply #2 on: 07 06, 2014, 09:02: PM »

First: Thanks for your help! I found rur in a dictionary, not the official one though, but it's not bing Smiley
The context is more like "You're a total Nerd, but I like you anyway/nevertheless." Would there be a more accurate translation of that?
De'vID
Senior Courier

« Reply #3 on: 07 09, 2014, 05:59: PM »

The word "nerd" is very culture-specific. Not only that, but its meaning has changed over time, and so you're looking for a meaning carried by the word only for some part of the early 21st century. Naturally, Klingon does not have a translation for "nerd".

But assuming that we know what the Klingon analogue to a "nerd" is, you might say, nerd SoH, 'ach jISaHbe'. qaparHa'. "You are a nerd, but I don't care. I like you."
qoSagh
Warrior Bard of the Ontological
Thought Master

« Reply #4 on: 07 11, 2014, 04:00: AM »

Depending on what is meant by nerd, this could get interesting. Given the context of "You are a nerd, but I don't care. I like you.", let's look at some of the options based on various perceptions and definitions of nerd, all, some or none might apply in this case.

"You are a scientist, but I don't care. I like you."

Probably not all that bad. Thinking of one of the warrior class speaking to someone who is not in the KDF or at least not a soldier.

"You are a Genius, but I don't care. I like you."

Not bad, but not as good, as it might imply that the speaker would usually have some disdain for those who are considered smart.

"You are a social outcast, but I don't care. I like you."

Depending on the reason for the casting out from society this could be problematic. especially in matters of honor.

"You are odd, but I don't care. I like you."

Not sure how Klingons would feel about someone who was at odds with the norm, but they might look at them with some suspicion.

"You are weak, but I don't care. I like you."

This is probably the least likely but most dramatic of the options. Klingons prize strength so they would probably never say this, but if they did, think of what it would be saying about the weakling.

qoSagh qlIStIy
meycha of the qaptaQ www.qaptaQ.org
Prothonotary of the Desert Rite
"I would kill the children of a thousand planets, just to see you smile."
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: