Klingon Imperial Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
12 12, 2017, 06:37: AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Thu 26Jul2012:
     Due to security issues file attchments are disabled for the time being.  We are invenvestigating the impact to the board and working to ensure our forums are clean and trustworthy.   In the mean time you can email your attachments to Kesvirit and/or Klythe along with which message you want them attached to and we will add them.

11894 Posts in 1664 Topics by 689 Members
Latest Member: regdun234
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  Klingon Imperial Forums
|-+  Klingon Language & Culture
| |-+  Klingon Language
| | |-+  English / Klingon auto-translater
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: English / Klingon auto-translater  (Read 5531 times)
Anthony Appleyard
Novice

« on: 05 05, 2014, 10:14: PM »

http://www.bing.com/translator

says that it can translate between English and Klingon. But I just tested it:-

This is the cat that ate the bird

became

ghotvam'e' tIvnIS cha'par Sop

which it back-translated to English as

This is a man you must enjoy a bird Eater

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
That old vexed expression

the ship in which I fled

became

Duj pa''e' Haw' jIH

which it back-translated to English as

Room of the ship, I am Fled
qoSagh
Warrior Bard of the Ontological
Thought Master

« Reply #1 on: 05 06, 2014, 01:32: AM »

If nothing else, this could make a fun game.

I tried: This is the way we wash our clothes, which became ghotvam'e' mIw Sutchaj belmoH DaSay'moHtaHvIS maH which I then translated back into this: I think this is in recognition of their Clothing, we are pleased with dasay'

So I figured another one would be in order and tried:

My Cat's breath smells like cat food, which became vIghro' Soj rur largh vIghro' tlhuH and then back again into smell like Cat Food cat stimulated

qoSagh qlIStIy
meycha of the qaptaQ www.qaptaQ.org
Prothonotary of the Desert Rite
"I would kill the children of a thousand planets, just to see you smile."
De'vID
Senior Courier

« Reply #2 on: 05 06, 2014, 08:22: AM »

tlhIngan Hol mughHa'wI''e' bIng noy law' Hoch noy puS.

... which Bing claims means "Klingon mugha' seems that everyone famous under Italy." Italy? Where did that even come from?

(It actually means "Bing is the most famous Klingon mistranslator.")
voraq
Klingon Conversationalist

son of Dutrogath

« Reply #3 on: 05 08, 2014, 03:11: PM »

I've seen other auto translators do the same with earth languages.  Someone translated the terran nursery rhyme "wee willy winky running through town. . ." (the whole rhyme)  from english to chinese to german and back to english again.  The resulting translation was a very inapropriate rhyme having no resembelance to the original.
qoSagh
Thought Master

« Reply #4 on: 05 08, 2014, 09:40: PM »

I once did a series on the XtraNormal site of lectures made up of movie quotes that had been through multiple translations like that. Sadly when that site went down, I lost them all. So there are some fun things you can do with that.

Oddly enough I tried a common Klingon proverb and it did it correctly back and forth, including grammar, so those must be hard coded into Bing.

qoSagh qlIStIy
cptchaos
Novice

« Reply #5 on: 06 02, 2014, 08:13: PM »

Weird results, bing's translator works for individual words (nuqneh = what do you want) but reverse failed.  I'm guessing that it's a simple lookup against a dictionary but it guesses for other stuff.
De'vID
Senior Courier

« Reply #6 on: 06 03, 2014, 08:42: AM »

It's not a simple word look-up. It's actually based on statistical machine translation. The reason that it works very well for some individual words is that those words occur frequently enough paired with the correct translation in the training corpus. Unfortunately, the corpus is mostly Shakespeare, and most words don't occur frequently enough to get accurate statistics, which leads to weird results.

You can see some artifacts of this, like word pairs which are swapped because they occur frequently together (but in reverse order in Klingon from the English due to the grammar). For example, Bing "thinks" that {qeylIS} means "sword", because it occurs so frequently in the phrase {qeylIS betleH} "sword of Kahless". So if you try to translate "sword of justice", you get {qeylIS ruv} "justice of Kahless", if you do "sword of fire", you get {qeylIS qul} "fire of Kahless", and so on.
cptchaos
Novice

« Reply #7 on: 06 03, 2014, 12:39: PM »

Statistical, interesting.  It didn't occur to me that would be a factor in the translations.  Thanks, I'll have to watch out for that!
qoSagh
Thought Master

« Reply #8 on: 06 21, 2014, 08:15: PM »

OK, I decided to do a few more of these Binghan Hol translations.

I started with: Come with me and you'll see a world of pure imagination Bing gave me HItlhej 'ej qo' watlh buStaHmo' Dalegh which then translated back into this: The world with pure because of concerns in our vicinity

Next I tired: How mush is that doggy in the window which Bing translated as 'ar Qorwagh doggy and then sent back as: Windows how much doggy

I then tried: Four score and seven years ago which Bing translated as Soch ben 'ej loS pe''egh which became: He died seven years ago, and the four score

My last one for today is: Here come old flat top, he come moving up slowly which became qaS ngo' HapwIj yor, Ha' Ha' vIH QIt ghaH and back (sort of) to: on top of the old days my Deposit, he had Slowly Come in motion

qoSagh qlIStIy
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: