Klingon Imperial Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
12 12, 2017, 06:37: AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
The boards are having problems with email. We are advising members to set your secret questions and answers in case the board can't send email to let you reset lost passwords.
11894 Posts in 1664 Topics by 689 Members
Latest Member: regdun234
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  Klingon Imperial Forums
|-+  Klingon Language & Culture
| |-+  Klingon Language
| | |-+  Requests for Translations
| | | |-+  Short translation request for LCARS 47 Project
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Short translation request for LCARS 47 Project  (Read 2164 times)
Andros
Newcomer

« on: 05 01, 2014, 02:49: AM »

Greetings all.  I am an old Trek fan (since TOS) and the author of the Trek TriD chess rules that shipped with the Franklin Mint's early boards (without my knowledge.)  Recently, I got a voice acting gig doing Borg for LCARS 47, the fan-based software project.  The main programmer of the project has told me that they will be doing some Klingon-flavored work in the next few months with their furnished copy, but I would like to do a vocal demo for her in advance, a 60 second quickie.  I have some fledgling experience of Spoken Klingon, but I would like to translate some phrases to use in my demo.  Can anyone give me accurate translations of a few things?

By Chronos, this Grak is fresh!

If you persist in your actions, I shall surely gore you in an honorable fashion!

A real warrior would not dishonor his clan by such behavior!

Please hand me the Ba’chlech, I wish to disembowel you.

My hovercraft is full of eels. (Which one source claims is "lupDujHomwIj lubuy'moH gharghmey".

My vocal work can be seen at www. everybodyandme. com and my chess rules at www. yestercade. net.  Thanks in advance!
chalvatlh
Klingon formerly Known as Fraek
Discoursing Diplomat

In order to succeed, you must enjoy eating poison!

« Reply #1 on: 05 01, 2014, 09:21: PM »

Hi there!

By Chronos, this Grak is fresh!
I suspect you mean "Kronos" (or Qo'noS), and "gagh" (or qagh). A fairly straight translation would be

'o Qo'noS! ghoQqu' qaghvam!
"Oh Kronos! This gagh is very fresh!"

However, to the best of my knowledge, statements like "By Kronos" aren't actually used in Klingon. Also, the word ghoQ suggests that the gagh has been freshly killed, when in fact it should be served alive. So, I might recommend simply:

chong! qu'qu' qaghvam!
"Vertical! This gagh is very fierce!"
(chong literally means "be vertical", but it's also slang for "Great!" or "Sweet!")

If you persist in your actions, I shall surely gore you in an honorable fashion!
bImevbe'chugh batlh qarIQqu'moHbej!
"If you do not stop, I shall definitely damage you greatly and honorably."

A real warrior would not dishonor his clan by such behavior!
This sentence doesn't survive translation very well, in part because it's in the conditional move and in part because it's a bit noun-heavy, but I might suggest something like

batlhHa' vangchugh nuv, tuqDaj quvHa'moH. vaj SuvwI'qoq neH ghaH.
"If a person acts dishonorably, he/she dishonors his/her house. Thus he/she is only a so-called warrior."

Please hand me the Ba’chlech, I wish to disembowel you.
I suspect you mean "bat'leth" (or betleH).

Anyhow, the word "please" does not have an equivalent in Klingon.
There is the honorific suffix -neS, which is only used when addressing somebody of superior rank, and expresses extreme deference.
Since I imagine this is more of a joke sentence, though, I suppose one could use it:

betleHwIj HInobneS. luHDu'lIj vIteq vIneH.
"Give me my bat'leth, oh honored on. I want to remove your intestines."

My hovercraft is full of eels. (Which one source claims is "lupDujHomwIj lubuy'moH gharghmey".
Your source is correct!

Good luck with your voice-overs!
Andros
Newcomer

« Reply #2 on: 05 02, 2014, 01:10: AM »

Did not expect so fast or so well.  Salute to your House!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: