Klingon Imperial Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
04 22, 2018, 08:35: AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Thu 26Jul2012:
     Due to security issues file attchments are disabled for the time being.  We are invenvestigating the impact to the board and working to ensure our forums are clean and trustworthy.   In the mean time you can email your attachments to Kesvirit and/or Klythe along with which message you want them attached to and we will add them.

11898 Posts in 1666 Topics by 692 Members
Latest Member: smithassignment1
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  Klingon Imperial Forums
|-+  Klingon Language & Culture
| |-+  Klingon Language
| | |-+  Klingon Ship's Sign Translation
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Klingon Ship's Sign Translation  (Read 2083 times)
rsabian
Newcomer

« on: 04 28, 2014, 09:23: AM »

Hi, a Klingon ship has a sign with these letters.  Does it mean anything in English?  Thank you for your help.
De'vID
Senior Courier

« Reply #1 on: 04 28, 2014, 09:40: AM »

It seems to say "lrr nHvwlr" in the unofficial mapping that's used by most Klingonists (including the Klingon Language Institute). There are other mappings, such as the so-called SkyBox mapping, but I don't know how to read those.

You can try to decode this using the charts here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Klingon_alphabets
rsabian
Newcomer

« Reply #2 on: 04 28, 2014, 09:49: AM »

This pic is from a Star Trek Production.  The wikipedia page said that they sometimes just make it decorative nonsense.  I'm hoping it means something.  Thanks for the link.
qoSagh
Warrior Bard of the Ontological
Thought Master

« Reply #3 on: 04 29, 2014, 11:57: PM »

I don;t think the sign mean anything. Although using the Skybox mapping, the first word could be egg. The problem with that mapping system is that is assigns the same character to multiple different letters, making reading a matter of context and more than a bit like a cryptogram.

The first word is [e,ch] [g,d,o] [g,d,o] So it could be egg, chog, chod, edo or a few others.

The second word would be [f,p] [m,w] [h,r] [n,x,z] [e,ch] [g,d,o] Making for a jumbled mess, no matter how it is translated.

For that reason, I am going to say that Skybox was not the key being used to unlock this mystery.

qoSagh qlIStIy
meycha of the qaptaQ www.qaptaQ.org
Prothonotary of the Desert Rite
"I would kill the children of a thousand planets, just to see you smile."
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: