Klingon Imperial Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
12 11, 2017, 05:15: PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
The boards are having problems with email. We are advising members to set your secret questions and answers in case the board can't send email to let you reset lost passwords.
11894 Posts in 1664 Topics by 689 Members
Latest Member: regdun234
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  Klingon Imperial Forums
|-+  Klingon Language & Culture
| |-+  Klingon Language
| | |-+  Creative/Catchy Klingon Birthday Invitation Translation
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Creative/Catchy Klingon Birthday Invitation Translation  (Read 2476 times)
jennii13
One Post Wonder

« on: 04 08, 2014, 09:30: AM »

Sorry if this was the wrong thread to post in, but it's what I saw as best fitting.

I'm only beginning my journey learning Klingon. And I want to make sure everything is perfect for my upcoming birthday party.
I saw it only fitting to have my invitations purely in Klingon.

I was hoping some of you brave souls out there could help me figure out how to write them. Considering the language isn't the friendliest, it's just a tad tricky.

I want to keep it rather simple. A piece of paper folded in half. Front page something written in a way as to say 'Hey you, you're invited to said party.' The inside probably having a quote. Then the necessary information: Date, Place, Time.

Any help will be deeply appreciated.  Cheesy
qoSagh
Warrior Bard of the Ontological
Thought Master

« Reply #1 on: 04 08, 2014, 09:45: PM »

The invitation being entirely in Klingon is problematic for those that do not speak (or in this case read) tlhIngan Hol. I would at the very least translate whatever is on the front on the inside.

As for being friendly, the language of the Empire is not and never will be friendly, so trying to make it such is pointless. I suggest trying to think of what you want to say then translate it. However remember that Klingons would likely not invite anyone anywhere. They might order people somewhere but only subordinates. A better representation would be a matter of fact statement that there is a party, what the occasion is, and where and when it is. The rest would be unimportant from a Klingon perspective.

Remember also that Worf (while not the best example) saw his own birthday party as pointless and greeted it with some dismay.

qoSagh qlIStIy
meycha of the qaptaQ www.qaptaQ.org
Prothonotary of the Desert Rite
"I would kill the children of a thousand planets, just to see you smile."
Kehlan
Senior Strategist

« Reply #2 on: 04 09, 2014, 10:36: AM »

I never quite understood Worf's reaction to the birthday party.  There are plenty of occasions where we see Klingons gathering in a bar to drink, sing battle songs/opera and butt heads and thats not far off as a description of a party.

If a Klingon wouldnt invite, maybe they would demand the presence of... something like "your attendance is demanded at the gathering at...." and list location, date etc.

Captain Kehlan
USS Endeavour NCC-71805
Federation/Klingon Rapid Response Fleet
voraq
Klingon Conversationalist

son of Dutrogath

« Reply #3 on: 04 12, 2014, 02:10: PM »

Worfs reaction to his party reminds me of the episode where he is on the phaser range with guinan. He said "klingons don't laugh." To wich she replied "absolutely they do. . ." Worf has a personality that makes him no fun at a party, or a bar on Qo'noS. Remember the bar scene in Redemption? It seems to me that, like human, klingons have a wide range of outlooks when it comes to party's. We've only seen one.

I agree with Kehlan.
Givin the greeting 'what do you want' ,and the statement in power klingon ( maybe conversational klingon I'm not sure) that store owners use the phrase 'buy or die',  I think wording the invitation as a demand would be quite klingon.
qoSagh
Thought Master

« Reply #4 on: 04 14, 2014, 06:22: AM »

I occurs to me that the best wording for a Klingon party invitation might just be the translation of "Tonight we drink, for tomorrow we may die".

I never did understand Worf's reluctance to party, as we have certainly seen Klingons in social situations. They were in the bar on K7 in Trouble with Tribbles after all. While I don't often consider Worf that useful a source, it was the only Klingon birthday party reference I could think of. As for Guinan, I think she may just be a worse source than Worf, as I always got the sense that her character was there to tell us how the few enlightened folks do things in utopia. So when Worf saying Klingons do not laugh may be the result of him never encountering one doing so or even wishing that they never do so, but Guinan's reply sounds a bit to me like she is telling us of some specific Klingon she knows who laughs but may be an outcast from society. Maybe I am reading too much into this, and maybe I am going way off topic in a translation thread, but the bottom line is that we have little if any good source material to go on here.

qoSagh qlIStIy
Kehlan
Senior Strategist

« Reply #5 on: 04 15, 2014, 02:04: PM »

I think the answer is as simple as the fact that every Klingon is different... some will like parties, others will be more antisocial.  As to worf not liking surprise parties, it could be as simple as his childhood.  His adoptive mother was played as one of those larger than life, really embarrassing parents, you can only imagine the sort of birthday celebration she might have inflicted on her son.  " blow out the candles worfie dear, and give your Aunt Mavis a thank you kiss" sort of thing... its enough to put a kid off birthdays for life. Its also worth noting, in the end, when he didnt get his party, he actually seemed quite disappointed.

Captain Kehlan
USS Endeavour NCC-71805
Federation/Klingon Rapid Response Fleet
cptchaos
Novice

« Reply #6 on: 06 02, 2014, 08:06: PM »

Probably late on this one but I thought the topic was interesting because it made me stop and think about what would a warrior do?  I think about it like this:  I just read somewhere that there is no expression for "I love you" in Klingon.  The closest is something like "I hate you less than other Klingons."  Keeping with that theme, a warrior might present an invitation to a party like "On such and such a day at such and such time, I will not attack you if you come to my home."  To which I can hear a Terran saying, "Oh are you inviting me to a party?" 
De'vID
Senior Courier

« Reply #7 on: 06 03, 2014, 08:54: AM »

I just read somewhere that there is no expression for "I love you" in Klingon.  The closest is something like "I hate you less than other Klingons."

You must've read it at this reddit thread (or heard it from someone who repeated it from there). It seems to be referring to qamuSHa', which doesn't really mean that. The word muS means "hate", and the suffix -Ha' is a sort of negative, like the "dis-" in "dislike" in English.

So muSHa' indeed means something like "dis-hate". But qamuSHa' no more means "I hate you less than everyone else" than the analogous English "I dislike you" means "I like you less than everyone else".
cptchaos
Novice

« Reply #8 on: 06 03, 2014, 12:37: PM »

Yep, that's where I saw it.  Now we have a need for the obligatory translation of "When does the narwhal bacon?"
qoSagh
Thought Master

« Reply #9 on: 06 10, 2014, 08:47: PM »

That might require one to translate unicorn first, but I digress.

qoSagh qlIStIy
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: