Klingon Imperial Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
12 12, 2017, 09:34: PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Realtime chats are now following a freeform schedule.  If you would like to chat with you fellows please see the It's Talk Time thread for more info or to schedule a chat.
11894 Posts in 1664 Topics by 689 Members
Latest Member: regdun234
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  Klingon Imperial Forums
|-+  Klingon Language & Culture
| |-+  Klingon Religion & Beliefs
| | |-+  Klingon gods: list
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Klingon gods: list  (Read 8329 times)
voraq
Klingon Conversationalist

son of Dutrogath

« on: 01 21, 2014, 10:52: PM »

I know there's at least one topic discussing the gods and whether or not they' re dead, this isn't what I want to discuss right now.  I am attempting to create a list and discription of the gods that are mentioned in the many novels. Here is the list as I currently have it, I would like any input regarding novels or sources I haven't thought of.

Pawns & Symbols:  Durgath, Cymele, and the jheen

Invasion First Strike: Iraga, shushara, and hullam'gar

Day of Honor Amageddon Sky: tuq'mor

Starfleet Academy (youth novel) Line of fire:  Consar

Episodes from TNG VOY: veqlargh

[Edit -- clarified thread title]
« Last Edit: 12 31, 2014, 04:47: AM by Kesvirit » Logged
Kehlan
Senior Strategist

« Reply #1 on: 01 22, 2014, 02:43: PM »

I cant remember her name but the goddess of fate mentioned in the Left Hand of Destiny

Captain Kehlan
USS Endeavour NCC-71805
Federation/Klingon Rapid Response Fleet
qoSagh
Warrior Bard of the Ontological
Thought Master

« Reply #2 on: 01 22, 2014, 07:44: PM »

One of the best lists that I saw was from a fan group that called themselves the Monastery of Grethor. I don't think they are around any more.

My own club, the qaptaQ had some initial work in this area, but not from entirely Trek sources. I don't have that research anymore as it went the way of the wind. All I have is a list that lacks the full descriptions and even that has no names. I have tried google searches on some of them to see if I could find the sources but that has not yielded much help.

Over at [another Klingon site] there was some discussion about this and what surprised me was that much of what our two fan groups came up with were easy to line up. Not all of it mind you, but enough to make it interesting.

qoSagh qlIStIy
meycha of the qaptaQ www.qaptaQ.org
Prothonotary of the Desert Rite
"I would kill the children of a thousand planets, just to see you smile."
voraq

son of Dutrogath

« Reply #3 on: 01 28, 2014, 06:15: PM »

The Left Hand of Destiny, I've not read it yet but I recall it being referenced in the discussion Klingon Gods.

Would the god you mention be Kar-tel?

I must say that I've not been that active in clubs for quite a while. I see the potential for many activities and plan to get more active again.
qoSagh
Thought Master

« Reply #4 on: 01 29, 2014, 06:01: AM »

There have also been some discussions both here and elsewhere on the veqlargh and if he is in fact a god or not. Kotar is another example of one who seems to not be a god but performs some function for them or in place of them.

qoSagh qlIStIy
voraq

son of Dutrogath

« Reply #5 on: 01 29, 2014, 11:57: PM »

I think that if kotar were to make the list, it would be as more of a side note as 'the one forced to ferry souls to grethor.'  If one were to guard grethor, however, I imagine one would need to be a god to some extent. If one was just sentenced to that job, what would stop them or the inhabitants from leaving in an attempt to break in to sto vo kor or reenter the realm of the living?
Kehlan
Senior Strategist

« Reply #6 on: 01 31, 2014, 09:49: AM »

At the risk of going off on a tangent, thats just it! Was Kortar forced and if so, who by?  This guy has just killed the gods - all of them if we are to believe the stories.  So just who was powerful enough to force him to do anything?

Which begs the question, was there some other higher power?  OR did Kortar volunteer for the job out of a sense of duty?  Because quite honestly, if hes strong enough to kill off all the gods, I can't see anyone being strong enough to tell him what he can and cannot do.

Is he a god though?  I'd say no.  If he was the first Klingon though, its possible he may have had abilities and strengths that later generations of Klingons didnt.. so maybe some form of demi-god?

Captain Kehlan
USS Endeavour NCC-71805
Federation/Klingon Rapid Response Fleet
qoSagh
Thought Master

« Reply #7 on: 01 31, 2014, 06:08: PM »

I seem to remember us debating the Kortar question a while back, but it does raise more questions the more you ask?

The best theory I remember from our previous discussions was that he performed the barge job out of a sense for duty, being that this might have previously been the responsibility of a god. He could not deprive other Klingons of their previously held right to sto-vo-kor.

Now that brings up another timeline question. If the Klingons had knowledge of an afterlife, and presumably gods at the time of his battle, then he was probably not the first Klingon in any real sense. He may have been the first to call himself by that name, but even that is a stretch.

The role of Kortar is somewhat similar to a character developed in the early days of the qaptaQ, although we never named him. He was the first one to realize the gods could be met in battle, the first one to do battle with the gods and the one who vanquished them. While we had no idea what Paraborg would do later, this timeline fits much better with the Kortar we saw later. He was not the first Klingon, he was the first Klingon to do something.

Now the veqlargh, I always looked at him as somewhat less intelligent than Kortar, more wild and beast like, yet still a being capable of using language. He probably still performs his work out of a sense of duty also, but may be too dumb to question that duty and may not even be aware the gods are no longer his bosses. What relationship there is between him and Kortar is unknown, it might make for some interesting fan fiction.

qoSagh qlIStIy
Tanang
Novice

« Reply #8 on: 12 01, 2014, 09:01: PM »

Just as long as there are no tera'ngan gods, they have no place in the tlhIngan go' !
qoSagh
Thought Master

« Reply #9 on: 12 02, 2014, 06:57: PM »

Just as long as there are no tera'ngan gods, they have no place in the tlhIngan go' !

When I first started in fandom there was a very active group that had diverged from established Klingon history to develop their own. They essentially claimed that the Vikings of Earth were either descendants of Klingons or that they had been visited by Klingons and that the pantheon of Asgard was entirely Klingon. The leader of this group even went by the name of K'Thor and claimed to be the thunder god himself.

In a less severe but no less obvious habit, I have seen many ships that were named after various "tera'ngan gods" or were at least references to them. This is a practice I have always been against but it is one that I don't see ever truly leaving Klindom, as it is at this point so ingrained in our nature and structure.

qoSagh qlIStIy
Klythe
ngem Sargh lIghwI' pagh cha'
Administrator
Thought Master

When a show of teeth doesn't work, bite deeply.

« Reply #10 on: 02 15, 2016, 08:41: PM »

Directly using tera'ngan gods in Klingon Fandom is certainly uncreative and of poor taste, but one must admit that analyzing the commonalities of known mythologies (which at this point is limited to those of Earth) would be essential to reconstructing the Klingon Pantheon, which is a valuable pursuit for historical, roleplaying and nomenclature reasons.

We are forced to admit that Durgath is based off the archetype of terran gods of war, Cymele is based on the culmination of crop fertility gods and goddesses, goddess of fate, guardian of the afterlife...  All of these are universal types that any primative argicultural society would likely invent. 

If your history of the Klingon homeworld includes a period of using sailing ships, you would expect there would have been a god of the ocean and storms.  There is likely a deity of Hunting and another of Animal husbandry.   A god of Metalcraft and forge work would be missed in a Klingon Pantheon.

But the most interesting would be to devise the gods that Klingons would have that Terrans would not.  Durgath is likely to have spirits of war similar to Cymele's jheens.   But is there a different god for the spirit of battle that is in a Klingon's heart?   Is there a god that judges batlh while quv is judged by your fellow warriors?   Are the Naked Stars, gods in and of themselves, and are they the judges of batlh?   They endure forever and remember all they see, they might be.  They certainly had some amount of veneration in Thought Captain Vrenn's time.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: