Klingon Imperial Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
01 22, 2018, 02:24: PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Realtime chats are now following a freeform schedule.  If you would like to chat with you fellows please see the It's Talk Time thread for more info or to schedule a chat.
11894 Posts in 1664 Topics by 689 Members
Latest Member: regdun234
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  Klingon Imperial Forums
|-+  Klingon Language & Culture
| |-+  Klingon Language
| | |-+  Help a language app develop Klingon language course
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Help a language app develop Klingon language course  (Read 2568 times)
CaseLThor
Newcomer

« on: 01 17, 2014, 08:55: AM »

Hello everyone,

I do NOT work for Duolingo, but as a language teacher interested in studying languages, I want to expedite what Duolingo is doing, which is to offer free language courses to everyone in all languages, including Klingon. If you would be interested in contributing to an Klingon for English language speakers, which would later be translated for learners from even more languages, please go to the following page and apply to contribute. There're many people who want to see Klingon on Duolingo, me included. I'm just trying to spread the word and encourage language education. There's also interest in Dothraki, Valyrian, Esperanto, and of course, Tolkien's languages.

Even if you're fluent in any language I haven't mentioned, I'd encourage you to see if you can contribute to creating a language course.

http://incubator.duolingo.com/courses/en/tlh/status
De'vID
Senior Courier

« Reply #1 on: 01 17, 2014, 11:08: AM »

Actually, the course is not "Klingon for English speakers", but "English for Klingon speakers". That is, what they are looking for is not native English speakers who can also speak Klingon, but fluent Klingon speakers who can also speak English.

I would actually advise people not to sign up to contribute to this course unless they are really skilled in Klingon, i.e., skilled enough to be able to produce lessons not about Klingon, but in Klingon. AFAIK, skilled Klingon speakers who are interested in contributing to Duolingo have already signed up long ago. What I'm worried about now is a large number of people who don't actually know Klingon very well, and who may have good intentions, signing up and contributing things which are wrong or produced using Bing. (This problem has actually killed a number of Klingon translation projects in the past.)

If you want to let Duolingo know that you are interested in learning Klingon (rather than "learning English through Klingon"), I'd recommend to sign up for their notify me services instead.
CaseLThor
Newcomer

« Reply #2 on: 01 18, 2014, 12:59: AM »

The reason that it shows English for Klingon speakers is because that's the direction they do for all the natural languages. Of course, Klingon doesn't have native speakers.

I agree that you need to be fluent in Klingon. Duolingo has a process for separating the wheat from the thresh. I don't know if skilled Klingon speakers have already signed up. The page I linked indicates zero contributors, so I just want to spread the word because I'm interested in language and helping Duolingo with its mission.
De'vID
Senior Courier

« Reply #3 on: 01 18, 2014, 04:38: PM »

The reason they show English for Klingon is because they really are looking to first develop a course in that direction, before going the other direction. This was a deliberate decision, at least as far as I know.

For example, you can find both French for German and German for French, because for that language pair they are planning to go both ways. For Klingon, for now, they are only going into the English for Klingon direction.
De'vID
Senior Courier

« Reply #4 on: 04 17, 2015, 08:25: AM »

It's in the Incubator.
TelpeH
Novice

« Reply #5 on: 07 28, 2017, 07:34: AM »

HIja'. Has been for sometime.

HIja' = yes
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: