Klingon Imperial Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
12 11, 2017, 06:48: PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
The boards are having problems with email. We are advising members to set your secret questions and answers in case the board can't send email to let you reset lost passwords.
11894 Posts in 1664 Topics by 689 Members
Latest Member: regdun234
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  Klingon Imperial Forums
|-+  Other Klingon-related Topics
| |-+  The Klingon Science Lab
| | |-+  Klingon Technology and Engineering
| | | |-+  Projectile Weapons?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Projectile Weapons?  (Read 1812 times)
QorroQ
Scribe

The Dark One

« on: 12 11, 2013, 06:24: AM »

My question is, has anybody heard of Klingons having or devloping weapons like there is here on earth in 2013? I ask this because as far as I can tell Klingons went from using bladed weapons, simalar to the medival era on earth, to having plasma weapons and space ships. Now did they recive a visit from another alien species and either stole some or were given them. Any thoughts?

QorroQ

Duty...Strength...Sacrifice
voraq
Klingon Conversationalist

son of Dutrogath

« Reply #1 on: 12 12, 2013, 12:12: AM »

In ds9 kor and worf mentioned the hur'Q invasion, I'm sure that (the invasion) gave at least some technology for the scientists to reverse engineer or just plain use. There was a tos episode, A private little war, that showed the Klingons teaching the local population to make muskets.

Obviously there are several opinions. Maybe they just reverse engineered a disruptor so the locals weren't as powerful. My  belief is that there was a clear progression.  I imagine at some point there were battles using a mix of blades and projectile (earth modern) weapons just as the current battles use blades and disruptor tech. I don't remember if there are any novels that explore this topic.
qoSagh
Warrior Bard of the Ontological
Thought Master

« Reply #2 on: 12 13, 2013, 05:54: AM »

We know from the TOS episode that Klingons were at least familiar with firearms, as they armed one side of the local war with muskets.

I have always thought that it was not so much that they went from knives to disruptors, but that they kept the swords and knives as a matter of honor. Even in the TOS episode Day of the Dove, the Klingons who we had never seen with anything other than a disruptor seemed familiar with how to fight with swords. Yet they carried disruptors as the primary duty weapon. I see this as a traditional and cultural thing, much like our modern military still issues sabres to certain officers, or some schools still consider fencing to be a gentlemanly sport.

qoSagh qlIStIy
meycha of the qaptaQ www.qaptaQ.org
Prothonotary of the Desert Rite
"I would kill the children of a thousand planets, just to see you smile."
QorroQ
Scribe

The Dark One

« Reply #3 on: 12 13, 2013, 06:49: PM »

I tend to agree with you. Personaly I find it hard to think that over a couple of hundred years Klingons could master hurq weapons and ships, and then aparently come up with their own designs.

I agree with you as to the cultral signifagance of bladed weapons. I have recently read the book The Three Musketrees. Although they still had to use swords because they could only get one shot off, there were many cases that they fought honorable duels. Their coice of weapon was the sword. Like you said in later years the Klingons have semi phased out the bladed weapons, but still consider them to be honorable and know how to use them. 

I remember in the series Star Trek:Enterprise, there was a episode when the Klingons came to the planet to punish the locals for not living up to their deals. When they came down (of course Captian Archer had armed the locals), one of the weapons they favored was their swords and knives. Now of course this is many years before DS9, but I think they would have stuck with their bladed weapons if they hadn`t become impratical. They could only be used in close combat. I think that when it became more of a cultral weapon. Anyway thats my thoughts, I hope some more voices will join themselves to this disscussion.

QorroQ

Duty...Strength...Sacrifice
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: