Klingon Imperial Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
04 22, 2018, 08:28: AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Thu 26Jul2012:
     Due to security issues file attchments are disabled for the time being.  We are invenvestigating the impact to the board and working to ensure our forums are clean and trustworthy.   In the mean time you can email your attachments to Kesvirit and/or Klythe along with which message you want them attached to and we will add them.

11898 Posts in 1666 Topics by 692 Members
Latest Member: smithassignment1
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  Klingon Imperial Forums
|-+  General Discussions
| |-+  The Reception Hall
| | |-+  Qapla'
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Qapla'  (Read 1756 times)
maw'wI''a'
Newcomer

« on: 07 12, 2013, 01:14: AM »

Greetings,

I had some issue in registering, and was getting an error message along the lines of incorrect character in username.  I was attempting to use a Klingon translation for 'The Insane One', which I had as maw'wI''a' or maw''a'.  Eventually I just went with 'insanity' to see if I could register.

I've been watching Star Trek since Next Generation and the Klingon language has always interest me.  It is not the only constructed language I've studied, Tolkien's Quenya and Sindarin are on the list as well.

My purpose to joining here is to have the opportunity to discuss the Klingon language with others also interested in it, as well as learn it better from those more experienced with it.
chalvatlh
Klingon formerly Known as Fraek
Discoursing Diplomat

In order to succeed, you must enjoy eating poison!

« Reply #1 on: 07 14, 2013, 09:09: AM »

Welcome to the forums Smiley

Many websites don't like apostrophes; that's why we sometimes see ghunchu'wI' calling himself Qunchuy and be''etlh calling herself be11etlh.

It's worth noting that maw''a' actually means "is/are she/he/it/they insane", but maw'wI''a' ("THE insane one" or "the extraordinarily insane one") does indeed work, or just maw'wI' ("the/an insane one").
maw'wI''a'
Newcomer

« Reply #2 on: 07 16, 2013, 02:28: AM »

No worries, thought I had seen usernames with an apostrophe in them, so wasn't certain as to the problem.

Learned I can change my display name anyways.
Klythe
ngem Sargh lIghwI' pagh cha'
Administrator
Thought Master

When a show of teeth doesn't work, bite deeply.

« Reply #3 on: 07 29, 2013, 06:46: AM »

Correct, you aren't seeing usernames, you are seeing display names.  We unfortunately don't have a good way to tell people on the login page that the apostrophe and other characters are not legal in the username, but can be set later in the display name.  When I get more time I'll look into what can be done about this.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: